New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 73 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2348636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2161
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A1077 uncertain
    From the fact that you can force a spellcaster to make a concentration check or lose his spell, it seems as though the AoO interrupts the action that triggers it. Though there is some feat in Draconomicon, forget its name, which triggers when someone who's within a monster's reach tries to get closer, and it's written as you pushing them back to the limit of your reach, implying that they've already succeeded in moving. Still, that might be a special case, so it seems as though the general rule is that you interrupt before the triggering action completes. Which would seem to indicate that you'd be attacking their prone AC. Better get Curmudgeon to double-check this one.

2. - Top - End - #2162
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1077

From page 19 of Rules Compendium:
    An attack of opportunity interrupts the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is taken, immediately resolve that attack of opportunity, then continue with whatever was happening when the attack of opportunity was provoked.
    When the AoO interrupt occurs the opponent is still essentially prone, and is treated as such for all purposes. After the AoO is resolved (assuming they're still alive), the prone opponent can continue their turn, and can then continue to stand up if they like.

3. - Top - End - #2163
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Re: 1077

This is also why you cannot trip lock somebody (continuously tripping them with AoOs as they try to get up, thus forcing them to remain on the ground). They are still prone when you take the AoO, and you cannot trip a prone enemy. Even if you made the attack, they would still get up as soon as they're allowed to finish their action.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #2164
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 1078:
    When using Power Attack on a Full Attack Action, can you use your highest BAB towards your damage modifier, or do you use your lowest BAB?

Specific Example: Alaghi (Monsters of Faerun, pg. 14):
    Attacks: Handaxe +9/+4 melee, fist +9 melee...
    How much can I add to Power Attack if I'm going all out for damage, ta' heck with accuracy?
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

5. - Top - End - #2165
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A 1078
    +9. Alaghi has 9 HD of monstrous humanoid, each gives +1 BAB.

Every creature has one Base Atack Bonus at given time. It's what you get from racial hit die and class levels (most other bonuses and penalties for example from strength, enchantment, feats, iterative attack don change atack bonus but not base attack bonus).

6. - Top - End - #2166
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1078

You only ever have one BAB {Base Attack Bonus) number. A monster's "Attacks" entry doesn't tell you what its BAB is. (Also, Monsters of Faerun is a 3.0 book, so creatures like the Alaghi need adjustment before they can be used in a 3.5 game.) If you're the DM and need to determine how much you can Power Attack with a monster, you look at the creature's type (Monstrous Humanoid for an Alaghi) and hit dice (9d8 means 9 HD of the d8 kind used by Monstrous Humanoids). Then look up the monster type information to get its BAB formula.
    A monstrous humanoid has the following features.
    • 8-sided Hit Dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
    With no hit dice from classes, the result is that an Alaghi has BAB of 9, and this tells you how much it can Power Attack.

Also be aware that many creature entries contain errors, and work out the attack and damage figures yourself.

7. - Top - End - #2167
    Ettin in the Playground

You may want to look for errata for Monsters of Faerun. With BAB +9 and STR 19 the attack bonus for a hand axe should not be +9/+4. It should be +13/+8. Why someone with a light weapon and a thrown weapon would have power attack in the first place, I don't know. They don't get any extra damage for the penalized attack.

8. - Top - End - #2168
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 1079:
    Then, what does Table 3-1 on PHB pg. 22 imply under the BAB column? I thought that +6/+1 means BAB +6 on first attack, then BAB +1 on second attack? I = Confused.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-10-15 at 02:00 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

9. - Top - End - #2169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 1074 Is there a way for a Psi-Warrior to get Shared Pain as a known power and a Psi-Crystal?

Q 1075 Is there a way to make it so that a Psi-Crystal can't be destroyed by damage form Shared Pain?
    Sorry, my bad on the numbers before. Fixed it.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #2170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Q 1079:
    Then, what does Table 3-1 on PHB pg. 22 imply under the BAB column? I thought that +6/+1 means BAB +6 on first attack, then BAB +1 on second attack? I = Confused.
    A 1079:B BAB means [U]Base[/U Attack Bonus, the monster in questions is stated as having +13/+4 because of it's +4 strength bonus.

Q1080 Would preparing a Sanctum Orb of X (normally spell level 4) outside your sanctum allow you to "fuel" a spell storing weapon (restricted to level 3 and lower spells)?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #2171
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1079

The Base Attack bonus (derived from racial hit dice and class levels) is +6, but you get another attack (in a Full Attack action) at +1. Calling the whole column BAB is indeed misleading.

12. - Top - End - #2172
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1081:
    Is there anywhere where I can find the price for buying animals? I am specifically looking for buying Rats, but anything would be nice.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

13. - Top - End - #2173
    Banned

I answered Q1074 on the previous page.

14. - Top - End - #2174
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 1082

Can you ready an action (a standard action, a move action, or an attack action) to interrupt a swift action (a Quickened spell) or an immediate action (the Feather Fall spell)? Or does a swift or intermediate action happen too fast for anything to interrupt it?

The rules say that a swift action doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, and I assume that this goes for immediate actions as well. But the rules don't say that a swift or immediate action can't be interrupted by a readied action. (At least, not as far as I know.) Does this mean that it can be?

Q 1083

And what about free actions? Can you interrupt a free action with a readied action?

Q 1084

Finally, can you counterspell a Quickened spell with a spell that is not Quickened?

15. - Top - End - #2175

Q 1085

Is there anyway to increase your shift from 5 to 10 ft?
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2012-10-16 at 12:58 AM.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

16. - Top - End - #2176
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1082

You can ready an action in response to anything your character can observe. There is no Divination magic involved with Ready; it's simply a plan, wherein you mentally rehearse an immediate response to a particular triggering event you're anticipating. So you can ready a response to a swift or immediate action spell if you see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components (i.e., you succeed on reactive Spot and/or Listen checks when the enemy spellcaster is attempting to cast).

A 1083

Again, yes, if your character can detect the trigger condition.

A 1084 Yes.
    Counterspelling Metamagic Spells

Metamagic feats are not taken into account when determining whether a spell can be countered.
    Again, you must observe the triggering condition; this is inherent in the requirement to succeed on the necessary Spellcraft check to identify the spell being cast.

17. - Top - End - #2177
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1086

Can I ready a partial charge without being slowed, staggered, etc.?

Q 1087

If I have pounce and ready a partial charge, can I make a full attack at the end of the readied charge?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #2178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post
    Q 1085

Is there anyway to increase your shift from 5 to 10 ft?
    A: there are several. A DC 40 tumble check. Training with the sparring dummy of the master. A 5th level white raven stance allows you to take two 5ft steps, as long as you take them in immediate succession. Given the price of the sparring dummy and that DC though, these are all mid-high level options.

Edit: The sources are OA (dc 40 tumble check) and tome of battle the book of nine swords (white raven stance), but I'm not sure where sparring dummy of the master is printed. I have been reminded that sparring dummy of the master is in the arms and equipment guide. Thanks to Medic! for the reminder.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-16 at 06:36 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

19. - Top - End - #2179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q1088

On Antimagic Fields.

A: A druids shape shift is (Su) so would the stop being X beastie and turn back into X base race when in antimagic fields.

B: Bags of holding. If they are full of stuff do they split open or simply can't get anything out of them?

C: The same applies for Familiar pocket (are they kicked out/stuck inside)?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

20. - Top - End - #2180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Q1088

On Antimagic Fields.

A: A druids shape shift is (Su) so would the stop being X beastie and turn back into X base race when in antimagic fields.

B: Bags of holding. If they are full of stuff do they split open or simply can't get anything out of them?

C: The same applies for Familiar pocket (are they kicked out/stuck inside)?
    A: you would return to your natural form as the magic sustaining the transformation was suppressed. The duration would continue to elapse and you would return to shapeshifted form when the AMF went away if that duration hadn't expired yet.

B&C AMF only dissallows access to extradimensional storage in its AoE. The contents of your storage device would remain inside that storage space, and could not be accessed until the AMF goes away.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

21. - Top - End - #2181

BardGuy

Thanks as always for your clear and prompt answers!

Q 1089

Am I correct in assuming that since a swift action provokes no attacks of opportunity, therefore an immediate action, identified as "much like" a swift action, also provokes no attacks of opportunity? Or does this assumption go too far?

Q 1090

According to the SRD, free actions "rarely incur attacks of opportunity." But I can't think of a single free action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Can you?

22. - Top - End - #2182
    Ogre in the Playground

A1090:

Off the top of my head I can't think of any spells that trigger it, but according to Table: Free Actions, preparing spell components to cast a spell does if "the component is an extremely large or awkward item" whatever that means. There may be others.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

23. - Top - End - #2183
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1086

Nope, you cannot ready a charge. You can only use a partial charge "if you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn." While the rules says that you can do it under those conditions, it does not in fact say that the charge becomes a standard or move action, so you cannot ready it even if you are only able to take a standard or move (equivalent) action

A 1087

No, see above. Btw there is no partial charge, there is only the normal charge (Full Round Action) and the charge that you can do despite (normally) only being able to use a standard or move action.

24. - Top - End - #2184
    Banned

Q1091
    The DMG indicates that randomly found scrolls have 1-6 spells on them. Is there any functional difference between a scroll with six spells on it and six individual scrolls, other than the obvious (fewer scroll cases to carry around vs. more scroll cases for a thief to have to steal, and similar physical considerations)? Does the creator pay the same costs to scribe six spells into six separate scrolls as to scribe them all on a single long scroll? Or does the fact that it's one items rather than six make a major difference in your ability to manufacture it? (I seem to recall something about only being able to construct one magic item a day, even if its cost is a fraction of the 1000 gp you're allowed to make in a day; that would seem to be one obvious reason to scribe "multiscrolls" for low-level spells.)

25. - Top - End - #2185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1092
    Can a duskblade use his Arcane Channel ability on a charge?

26. - Top - End - #2186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by juicycaboose View Post
    Q1092
    Can a duskblade use his Arcane Channel ability on a charge?
    A1092 No, Arcane Channel is explicitly stated as taking a standard action while Charging is a full round action that allows you to make an attack.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #2187
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1093

Does the dark creature template from Tome of Magic replace/update the one in Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave for a game set in the Forgotten Realms? Is there a a general rule for setting specific 3.0 content vs. unspecified 3.5 content?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-16 at 01:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #2188
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1093

Your question does not make sense. There is no Dark Creature template in Lords of Madness, and neither book is specific to the Forgotten Realms campaign world. However, the general rule is that updated content (items in the same category and with the same name, or where explicitly called out as official replacements) always replaces old content when the new source is applicable to the setting (as all books not specific to any setting are) and anyone in the game (DM or player) uses any part of the updated source. (If nobody uses the updated source then the old material may still be used, because WotC can't force you to buy specific books, but non-updated 3.0 content must always be adjusted by the DM as they feel necessary.)

29. - Top - End - #2189
    Ettin in the Playground

D'oh I meant Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave.

30. - Top - End - #2190
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q1094 Can a changeling with the feat Racial Emulation (RoE 110) take levels in more than one class that have different racial requirements? If so do I get the bonuses for both? An example the changeling takes both Deepstone Sentinel (requires Dwarf) and Eternal Blade (requires Elf) from Tome of Battle.