New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2752676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2281
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 1142 No.
    Riverine is sometimes also used to create walls and even containers. Being enclosed in magical force, it is immune to all damage and is unaffected by most spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Animate Objects
    An animated object can be of any nonmagical material.
    Riverine is explicitly a magical material, and thus unaffected by Animate Objects.

2. - Top - End - #2282
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Q 1138

Do Illumians (Races of Destiny) qualify for the Human Paragon class (Unearthed Arcana)?
    As Curmudgeon points out, the official answer is no. However, since the Illumian Paragon class does not exist in RAW, you're perfectly welcome to homebrew one of your own, possibly one suspiciously similar to Human Paragon, and present it to your DM for approval.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    EDIT: willpell, sorry for edit-ninja-ing you. I didn't want to post twice in a row with different answers, I was editing when you posted.
    Your answer was better than mine anyway; I considered deleting my post.

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Q1140:
    One of my players posed this question, and my brain is starting to hurt from all the player questions. Help me out. Is this legal by RAW?:
    A1140
    Linked Power is from Complete Psionic, which is a book notorious for crappiness, brokenness, and poor editing. The book doesn't quite answer your question, but here's the best I can figure out:

Manifesting a power altered by this feat means that you must choose two powers—one you intend to manifest in this round, and one you intend to manifest in the next round. The power that is manifested in this round is not altered in any way, nor is the linked power that goes off in the next round—however, you do not need to spend any of your actions or power points next round to manifest the linked power. The linked power is automatically targeted on the same area or target as the power you manifest in this round (if the power you manifest this round has no area or target, choose an area or target in this round for the linked power to affect in the next round). ... It is possible that by the time the linked power comes into effect on the following round, the area where it goes off or the target that it affects no longer has relevance. On
    the other hand, you are free on the subsequent round to take actions normally.
    If you manifest Defensive Precognition, then link an Energy Ray to it, you choose a target for the Energy Ray to affect in round B while manifesting Defensive Precognition in round A. However the reverse scenario is not specifically explained; it's probable that linking Defensive Precog in this way simply causes it to affect you normally, but the text doesn't clarify what happens when the second power is not capable of using as many targets as the first. But I guess they couldn't spare any space in the text to explain how to handle that scenario, since they were too busy offering the final two sentences of explanation I've quoted.

3. - Top - End - #2283
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1143: Can I use Persistent Spell [Metamagic] feat, as a level 6 Cleric with the Competition domain, on the Domain Spell Zeal, in the level 6 domain slot?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

4. - Top - End - #2284
    Banned

Q1144
    Has the Ghost template from "Ghostwalk" (a 3.0 book) been given a Level Adjustment?

5. - Top - End - #2285
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1143

Yes, but why would you want to do that? No, in 3.5 it would be the 8th level domain slot. The spell only works against one enemy. Chances are he will be dead long before the 24h are up. 1 round/level or 2 rounds/level with extend spell should be more than enough. Depending on the ruling on the question below I can see the utility of persisting that spell.

A 1144

I don't know, but I think the appropriate template to use in a 3.5 game is the Ghost from the SRD/MM.

Q 1145

Is the chosen enemy for the spell Zeal restricted in any way? Could you for example designate an enemy on the other side of the campaign world?

Q 1146

How fixed does the range for a persisted have to be? Does it need to be the same range across all levels or are ranges close, medium and long also OK as they are fixed for any given level?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-21 at 01:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #2286
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1144

I don't know, but I think the appropriate template to use in a 3.5 game is the Ghost from the SRD/MM.
    That template is worthless for player-character use; it says the ghost gets "one to three" powers without giving any prescription of how you determine, and the method of permanently destroying it is likewise vague enough to be a power-gamer's wet dream. Besides, I don't like Ghosts being Undead (given that undead are nearly synonymous with evil in D&D), and the Ghostwalk version is an incorporeal outsider instead, which I vastly prefer, as it allows ghosts to be anywhere on the incorporeal spectrum without automatically becoming the b**** of every level 5 cleric that walks by (assuming the ghost is level 1). Though this does bring up a new question:

Q1147
    If an undead creature has 1 Hit Die and 4 Turn Resistance, a cleric who tries to turn/rebuke it needs to be able to affect a 5-HD creature. Does the cleric in question need to be level 10 in order to destroy/command the undead in question?

7. - Top - End - #2287
    Orc in the Playground

Q1148

About Trample. The animal ability (like Elephants). It says it is a full round action where the user can move up to double speed. Does it need to be in a straight line?

And about the AoO. If someone has a reach weapon, it technically gets an AoO from the elephant moving out of a threatened square, before being trampled. Does it still gain another AoO from being trampled? Is it still allowed a reflex save?

8. - Top - End - #2288
    Ettin in the Playground

I get that the SRD ghost is rubbish for PCs.

A 1147

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    When resolving a turn, rebuke, command, or bolster attempt, added[sic] the appropriate bonus to the creature’s Hit Dice total.

9. - Top - End - #2289
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1146

"Fixed" is an absolute, not relative, requirement. The range cannot change for any variation of spellcaster characteristics, including level, caster level, race, class, and size.

10. - Top - End - #2290
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q1149
    About Frenzied Berserker. Does berserker's tireless frenzy affects the barbarian's rage?

11. - Top - End - #2291
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1149 No.

Tireless Frenzy is specific to frenzy, and has no effect on rage. (It is possible to enter Frenzied Berserker without Barbarian levels, after all.)

12. - Top - End - #2292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1150
    When a monk uses power attack, can they apply 2x the amount subtracted from the attack roll?

I ask this because Monks can use their full strength bonus with unarmed strikes and the SRD says:

If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls.
    Because the monk can use their full strength bonus, this makes me think that they can treat an unarmed strike as a one-handed weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

13. - Top - End - #2293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roto View Post
    What about the reverse? Can I go from killing an enemy to sundering a nearby enemy's gear via cleave?
    DM dependent. It comes down to whether attacking that enemy's carried object counts as attacking him or not. A very strict interpretation of the RAW would be no. Cleave specifies that you may attack an adjacent creature and equipment is not a creature (normally).
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q1144
    Has the Ghost template from "Ghostwalk" (a 3.0 book) been given a Level Adjustment?
    Not to the best of my knowledge. Used in the campaign setting it's from it wouldn't have one, since the incorporeality it would otherwise have likely never comes into play.

Ported to another campaign setting it deserves maybe a +1 LA, but certainly no more.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

14. - Top - End - #2294
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    Q 1132

Do Touch Spells conveyed with a Duskblade's Arcane Channeling benefit from any improved Threat Range of the weapon (e.g. a Keen Scimitar), or do they still only score a threat on a 20?
    A 1132
    Unfortunately this has no simple RAW answer.

The Spellsword's ability to store a spell in a weapon specifically uses the weapon's critical properties - which is an argument against because the Spellsword has the ruling, but it is not definite.

Personally I give the spell its normal 20 (×2) regardless of the weapon being used to channel, but that is a personal ruling and not RAW.

15. - Top - End - #2295
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1151

What spells are there that can be persisted but are not personal range?

16. - Top - End - #2296
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1150 No.

An unarmed strike is never categorized as a one-handed weapon.
    An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.
    Also, since an unarmed strike can be executed with any part of the body without specification or constraint, it is not "wielded in two hands" except when enabled by non-standard capabilities like the Hammer Fist feat.

17. - Top - End - #2297
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1144

It's LA +1.

Never mind, I misread the monster entry. It would be LA +0, courtesy of the monster entry for the Ghost Dwarf from the web update to 3.5. In the case of not being in Manifest, I agree that it would deserve at least an LA +1, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-10-21 at 08:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #2298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    A 1144

It's LA +1.
    Good to know I was right. Source?
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-21 at 08:09 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

19. - Top - End - #2299
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Ported to another campaign setting it deserves maybe a +1 LA, but certainly no more.
    Only +1 to be incorporeal, with the corresponding fly speed and deflection bonus? The standard ghost is +5, having several additional abilities, and the permanently-incorporeal Unbodied in the Psionics Handbook are +4, though they also have 4 hit dice that provide both full BAB and Psion powers. Obviously being nonphysical limits you in a lot of ways, but it seems as though scout types, party faces, and possibly most spellcasters would always want a template that makes them virtually indestructible and lets them walk through walls while not making a sound.

Q1152
    What methods exist of prematurely stopping the lingering damage of a Melf's Acid Arrow? Can the acid be scraped off or something? What kind of action would this be?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-10-21 at 08:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #2300
    Titan in the Playground

Only +1 to be incorporeal, with the corresponding fly speed and deflection bonus? The standard ghost is +5, having several additional abilities, and the permanently-incorporeal Unbodied in the Psionics Handbook are +4, though they also have 4 hit dice that provide both full BAB and Psion powers. Obviously being nonphysical limits you in a lot of ways, but it seems as though scout types, party faces, and possibly most spellcasters would always want a template that makes them virtually indestructible and lets them walk through walls while not making a sound.
    You're oversimplifying. Incorporeality is nice for some, but not for all, and in this case it leaves you no way to interact with the corporeal. There are drawbacks to the template as well, beyond what's listed in the monster entry in that chapter. On the overall that template's not worth more than +1.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #2301
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1143

Yes, but why would you want to do that? No, in 3.5 it would be the 8th level domain slot. The spell only works against one enemy. Chances are he will be dead long before the 24h are up. 1 round/level or 2 rounds/level with extend spell should be more than enough. Depending on the ruling on the question below I can see the utility of persisting that spell.
    You are actually in the right direction of my thinking. I was thinking if you used the many tools of wizards and clerics, in a clairvoyant way to find the main enemy at hand, but also used this spell the way I was thinking, you could gain the ability through out most of the dungeon, castle or whatever place you were hacking and slashing through to get to the "chosen foe".
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-10-21 at 09:03 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

22. - Top - End - #2302
    Banned

You're oversimplifying. Incorporeality is nice for some, but not for all, and in this case it leaves you no way to interact with the corporeal. There are drawbacks to the template as well, beyond what's listed in the monster entry in that chapter. On the overall that template's not worth more than +1.
    There's the ghost weakness, but that's a pretty slim drawback. You can still interact with the corporeal visually and audibly, which is enough to make an awesome scout or face.

23. - Top - End - #2303
    Titan in the Playground

There's the ghost weakness, but that's a pretty slim drawback. You can still interact with the corporeal visually and audibly, which is enough to make an awesome scout or face.
    You haven't read the faces of death section in the beggining of the book or the section on the ghost traits? As for being limited to audio-visual interactions, that is a much bigger limitation than you're giving it credit for.

Anyway, this isn't the place for a full discussion on the matter. If you really want to get into it, you should probably make a new thread.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #2304
    Banned

You haven't read the faces of death section in the beggining of the book or the section on the ghost traits?
    I remember something about weaker senses and obsessive personalities, but no I haven't read that section in detail.

Anyway, this isn't the place for a full discussion on the matter. If you really want to get into it, you should probably make a new thread.
    I will probably do so, once I have read more of the book. For right now I was just debating replacing the MM ghost template with this one, something I apparently cannot do if they are not of vaguely analogous LAs.

25. - Top - End - #2305
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1153

Sahuagin Mutant has two feats: Two-weapon fighting and multiattack.

If it attacks with two shortswords, two talons and a bite, what are the penalties to attack?

I'd say -2, -2, -2, -2 and -2.

26. - Top - End - #2306
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q1154
    Feat Robilar's Gambit (PHBII). Number of AoO, which this feat allows to do, depends on dex bonus? Or i can do unlimited aoo per round?
    Last edited by Kred; 2012-10-21 at 10:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #2307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kred View Post
    Q1154
    Feat Robilar's Gambit (PHBII). Number of AoO, which this feat allows to do, depends on dex bonus? Or i can do unlimited aoo per round?
    You're limited to a single AoO each round unless you have combat reflexes.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #2308
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You're limited to a single AoO each round unless you have combat reflexes.
    Gambit's prepeq is combat reflex. Same feat "karmic strike" claims, that "this feat does not grant you more attacks of opportunity than you are normally allowed in a round." But in Gambit nothing about that. Most sources say about unlimited aoos. I.e. number of swings = number of aoos.
    i'm confused =(

29. - Top - End - #2309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kred View Post
    Gambit's prepeq is combat reflex. Same feat "karmic strike" claims, that "this feat does not grant you more attacks of opportunity than you are normally allowed in a round." But in Gambit nothing about that. Most sources say about unlimited aoos. I.e. number of swings = number of aoos.
    i'm confused =(
    It's pretty clearly not unlimited, since it does not say so.
    It doesn't say "you get a free attack on your attacker", but "[your attacker provokes AoO's from you]" (Or something similarly worded). You can do 1+DEX AoO's per round (assuming Combat Reflexes), so there's your limitation.

30. - Top - End - #2310
    Pixie in the Playground

Q1155 GREATER POWERFUL CHARGE You can charge with extra force. Benefit: As Powerful Charge, but treat yourself as one size category larger than you are.

POWERFUL CHARGE You can charge with extra force. When you charge, if your melee attack hits, you deal an extra 1d8 points of damage (if you are Medium size). For Large creatures, the extra damage is 2d6; for Huge, 3d6; for Gargantuan, 4d6; and for Colossal, 6d6.

The question is: When you treat yourself one category larger, is that only for damage or for all effects of the charge? For example, if this charge was a part of a bull rush, would a medium character get a +4 size bonus?

Thanks.