New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 78 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2853686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2311
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    If you manifest Defensive Precognition, then link an Energy Ray to it, you choose a target for the Energy Ray to affect in round B while manifesting Defensive Precognition in round A.
    Incorrect. Defensive Precognition does have a target - the manifester. Linking Defensive Precognition and Energy Ray in this manner will force you to Energy Ray yourself. This is rarely a desirable thing to do.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2012-10-21 at 12:13 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #2312
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q1156

I'm a human. I took.Building a level 7. Swash3 then started taking Duskblade 4. Flavor wise I had to take the Swash lvls first.

Feats at lvl 1: Dodge, Mobility
    Feat at lvl 6:Battle Casting (to help boost my already good AC. I can help flank with Mobility and start using Arcane touch to get off attacks while still getting the +AC from casting)

What should my level 3 feat be?
    I'm debating Knowledge Devotion but 2+Int is terrible skillpoints and I need skill points in Concentration.

Also prestige into anything? I'm debating Duelist for flavor (and Canny Dodge).

3. - Top - End - #2313
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1156: This is not a RAW (Rules As Written) question. There are more than 1000 feats available for selection, the merits of each may be debated. I suggest opening a new thread.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #2314
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My apologies.

I do have a RaW question though

Q1157

Does the bonus from Collector of Stories work for Knowledge Devotion?

I've heard some say it does, and some say it doesn't.
    Last edited by Redjar; 2012-10-21 at 12:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #2315
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qc Storm View Post
    Q1148

About Trample. The animal ability (like Elephants). It says it is a full round action where the user can move up to double speed. Does it need to be in a straight line?

And about the AoO. If someone has a reach weapon, it technically gets an AoO from the elephant moving out of a threatened square, before being trampled. Does it still gain another AoO from being trampled? Is it still allowed a reflex save?
    Bumping my question.

6. - Top - End - #2316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qc Storm View Post
    Bumping my question.
    Nothing in the description of trample says anything about how the creature has to move so no, the creature does not have to move in a straight line.

If you have a reach weapon, the AoO from the creature moving out of a threatened square is a completely different situation from the AoO you get from being trampled. You may attack the trampling creature for both on the same turn if you have combat reflexes, or some other means of getting multiple AoO's on the same turn.

If you choose to take the AoO for being trampled you do not get to make a reflex save against the trample, and vice-versa.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #2317
    Titan in the Playground

Q1158

This question is about how the Cleave (also Great Cleave) feat interacts with Bloodstorm Blade (from ToB). The Bloodstorm Blade prestige class has a second-level ability called "Thunderous Throw," that lets you "treat your ranged attack rolls with thrown weapons as melee attacks for the rest of your turn." The level 4 ability, Lightning Ricochet, Returns a thrown weapon to you immediately (not at the start of the next turn as usual) so you still have the same weapon in hand that turn. (Cleave states its attack has to be with the same weapon

So let's say you drop a foe with a thrown weapon. That activates a Cleave attack, correct? Does the attack have to be a (regular, non-thrown) melee attack? Or can it be a thrown attack? If a thrown attack, is there a range limit on that?

8. - Top - End - #2318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Q1158

This question is about how the Cleave (also Great Cleave) feat interacts with Bloodstorm Blade (from ToB). The Bloodstorm Blade prestige class has a second-level ability called "Thunderous Throw," that lets you "treat your ranged attack rolls with thrown weapons as melee attacks for the rest of your turn." The level 4 ability, Lightning Ricochet, Returns a thrown weapon to you immediately (not at the start of the next turn as usual) so you still have the same weapon in hand that turn. (Cleave states its attack has to be with the same weapon

So let's say you drop a foe with a thrown weapon. That activates a Cleave attack, correct? Does the attack have to be a (regular, non-thrown) melee attack? Or can it be a thrown attack? If a thrown attack, is there a range limit on that?
    Unfortunately, the RAW on this is ambiguous. Because thunderous throw makes all of your thrown weapon attacks count as melee attacks you unquestionably get to make a cleave attempt when you drop a foe by thrown weapon, as long as thunderous throw is active.

The ambiguosity is in the wording for cleave. It says you may make a melee attack against a creature "in reach." This is not necessarily the same as "within your reach," but some DM's will rule it that way. Others will say that if you can hit them with a "melee" attack they're within reach and since your thrown attacks count as melee for the moment you can make your cleave attempt with a thrown weapon attack.

If your DM rules that you can cleave with a thrown weapon, you follow the normal thrown weapon rules. You can attack any creature to whom you have LoE within 5 range increments. Thanks to Bloodstorm Blade's throw anything bonus feat, any weapon without a range increment of its own can be hurled out to 50ft with a 10ft increment. You still take the normal penalties to attack for throwing the weapon farther than 1 range increment.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-21 at 02:11 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

9. - Top - End - #2319
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1159

Something that has always confused me.

A medium sized creature stands 30 ft from a large sized creature with a greatsword with a reach of ten feet. The medium sized creature uses a move action to get within range (his range is five feet) and a standard to attack him. Did the move action provoke an AoO?

10. - Top - End - #2320
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1159: Yes.

The AoO is triggered when the medium character steps from 10 feet away to 5 feet away.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

11. - Top - End - #2321
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1160

What is the speed of a medium character in heavy armor who benefits both from the longstrider spell and the haste spell? Is the order of the castings relevant?

Q 1161

Is the speed bonus from haste fixed for the whole duration of the spell?

12. - Top - End - #2322
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1157 Yes, with limits.

A skill trick may be used only once per encounter, so you are restricted to boosting your Knowledge check only for a single creature type with Collector of Stories. Because you may make only a single Knowledge check to remember something about a creature (no retries), you must specify that you are adding the Collector of Stories bonus when you attempt the check (not afterward). Those are the only two limits applicable to use of Collector of Stories with Knowledge Devotion.

13. - Top - End - #2323
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1159 follow up

What if the medium creature charged?

14. - Top - End - #2324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    Q1159 follow up

What if the medium creature charged?
    Do you mean "what if the large creature charged?"

In that case the charge would simply be a charge. The large creature makes his attack from 10ft away and unless you've got a reach weapon and the hold the line feat that's it.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #2325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Do you mean "what if the large creature charged?"

In that case the charge would simply be a charge. The large creature makes his attack from 10ft away and unless you've got a reach weapon and the hold the line feat that's it.
    No, I meant medium. I understand from above that the medium would provoke from a move than standard action, but would the medium creature charging make a difference at all, or would he still provoke an AoO?

16. - Top - End - #2326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    No, I meant medium. I understand from above that the medium would provoke from a move than standard action, but would the medium creature charging make a difference at all, or would he still provoke an AoO?
    Ah, in that case the medium creature would still provoke an AoO from leaving the threatened square 10ft from the large creature if he didn't have a reach weapon. You provoke AoO's as normal for your movement when charging.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #2327
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1160

Both spells add an enhancement bonus to speed, so their effects do not stack; order of casting is irrelevant. The affected creature would gain +30' to all their listed speeds, including land speed. The result would then be adjusted by armor restrictions. If the Medium creature had a 30' base speed, Haste would add +30', and the result of 60' would be reduced to 40' by heavy armor.

A 1161 Yes.

It's always +30', exactly as stated in the spell description.

18. - Top - End - #2328
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 162
    Can a lvl 3 barbarian take the Greater Resiliency feat?
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

19. - Top - End - #2329
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1162

No, the feat has Damage Reduction as a prerequisite. A Barbarian does not get DR before level 7.

20. - Top - End - #2330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Q1153

A Sahuagin Mutant has two feats: Two-weapon fighting and multiattack.

If it attacks with two shortswords, two talons and a bite, what are the penalties to attack?

I'd say -2, -2, -2, -2 and -2.
    Anyone? Bumpy bump.

21. - Top - End - #2331
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1153

Unless the talons are on the creature's hands, you are correct.

22. - Top - End - #2332
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1153

Unless the talons are on the creature's hands, you are correct.
    Re: 1153

The Sahuagin Mutant has four arms. Two are holding swords and the other two are being used for their natural attacks.

The -2 attack penalties are correct, as TWFing penalties apply only to the two weapons being used, and the secondary natural weapon penalties apply only to the natural attacks.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #2333
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1163: If I am a LN cleric, who worships a LE diety am I still allowed to cast spells such as Cure Light Wounds?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

24. - Top - End - #2334
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q 1163: If I am a LN cleric, who worships a LE diety am I still allowed to cast spells such as Cure Light Wounds?
    Cure Light Wounds is not an alignment-based spell. You are definitely allowed to cast it regardless of your alignment. Good clerics, and Neutral clerics of Good deities, are able to cast Cure spells without preparing them, and ditto for Evil and Inflict; that's the only way alignment applies to the Cure or Inflict lines.

Your Neutral cleric, whether his deity is evil or not, if his deity is Evil, cannot cast spells with the [Good] descriptor, because you must be Good must not be anti-Good in either self or deity to cast those spells. Cure, however, is not inherently Good, nor is Inflict inherently evil. They're slightly easier to "find in your god's Rolodex", but that's all.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-10-22 at 05:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #2335
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1163

Sure, the Cure spells do not have the [Good] descriptor. You just can't cast them spontaneously (because evil deities do not grant this ability).

If either the cleric's or his deity's alignment is evil, the cleric can't cast [Good] spells. In your example the cleric would not be able to cast [Chaotic] spells because both are lawful.

Willpell, your interpretation is incorrect. You do not need to be of a good alignment to cast [Good] spells. Only the opposed alignment is barred from casting them (Good<->Evil; Lawful<->Chaotic) A cleric who wants to cast [Good] spells just cannot be evil, nor can his deity. So neutral clerics can cast [Good] spells as well as [Evil] ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-22 at 10:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #2336
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q 1164

Hi, drawing a complete blank, but I remember a 3.5 Prestige Class that focused on hunting Devils, but at the moment I cannot remember what book it's in. Does anyone know which PrCs exist in 3.X that focus on fighting devils?

27. - Top - End - #2337
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1164 possibly

I don't know one that focuses on fighting devils specifically, but Fist of Raziel (3.0 BoED) and Knight of the Chalice (3.5 CW) both focus on battling evil outsiders.

28. - Top - End - #2338
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    Q 1164

Hi, drawing a complete blank, but I remember a 3.5 Prestige Class that focused on hunting Devils, but at the moment I cannot remember what book it's in. Does anyone know which PrCs exist in 3.X that focus on fighting devils?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1164 possibly

I don't know one that focuses on fighting devils specifically, but Fist of Raziel (3.0 BoED) and Knight of the Chalice (3.5 CW) both focus on battling evil outsiders.
    ^this, or you might check FC2 for something. It -is- the supplement for all of deviltry after all.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #2339
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    Q 1164

Hellbreakers (FC2) are a PrC for stealing from and assassinating devils. Hellreavers (same) are a PrC for just straight up beating the snot out of devils.

JaronK

30. - Top - End - #2340
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1165: Does a +1 Animated Tower Shield cost 8150 gold pieces?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/