New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 79 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2954697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2341
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Re: Q 1153
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Sahuagin Mutant has two feats: Two-weapon fighting and multiattack.
    This is actually an illegal combination.
    MULTIWEAPON FIGHTING [GENERAL]

Special
    : This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

2. - Top - End - #2342
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 1166

This is my first 3.5 and I've read the rules I just want to make sure. I'm kinda getting confused by spellcasting. I'm a duskblade with Arcane Channeling. Do have to roll for the attack and the spell? Or do I just roll the attack and the spell activates? That's what I assume. Do I have to pass a Concentration check to see if the weapon gets infused by arcane channeling?

3. - Top - End - #2343
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1165

No, you have to start with a masterwork Tower Shield which costs 180 gp = 30 gp (Shield) + 150 gp (Masterwork).
    Animated is an enchantment costing the equivalent of a +2 Enhancement Bonus, and you need a real +1 Enhancement Bonus, making the shield cost the same as a +3 Tower Shield. Enchanting armor to +3 costs Bonus²*1000 gp or 3²*1000 gp = 9000 gp

All in all a +1 Animated Tower Shield costs 9180 gp.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-22 at 03:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #2344
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1165

No, you have to start with a masterwork Tower Shield which costs 180 gp = 30 gp (Shield) + 150 gp (Masterwork).
    Animated is an enchantment costing the equivalent of a +2 Enhancement Bonus, and you need a real +1 Enhancement Bonus, making the shield cost the same as a +3 Tower Shield. Enchanting armor to +3 costs Bonus²*1000 gp or 3²*1000 gp = 9000 gp

All in all a +1 Animated Tower Shield costs 9180 gp.
    Ok, I think I get it, so if you wanted say a +5 ability (whatever it might be, Shield of Blocking Death Stars), you first have to have at least a +5 shield in armor enhancement, then when you apply your Block Death Star ability it uses up that +5 bonus and no longer has the +5 shield ac bonus but does have the new ability instead?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

5. - Top - End - #2345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Ok, I think I get it, so if you wanted say a +5 ability (whatever it might be, Shield of Blocking Death Stars), you first have to have at least a +5 shield in armor enhancement, then when you apply your Block Death Star ability it uses up that +5 bonus and no longer has the +5 shield ac bonus but does have the new ability instead?
    No no no.

The cost of a weapon or armor's enhancement and special abilities is determined like this.

Special abilities are almost always priced as +X, you add together the X's of the abilities you want on your item and then add it to the enhancement bonus. Every magical armor or weapon must have at least +1 enhancement bonus before any other abilities can be added.

Once you've found the sum total of your special abilities' X's and enhancement bonus, consult the table in the DMG that gives the price for total enhancement bonus. Whatever the figure you came up with is, that's the effective enhancement bonus you've got to pay for.

E.g. You want a +1 flaming frosty weapon. That's +2 (flaming) +2 (frosty) and +1 enhancement. Total is +5 which costs 50,000gp, according to the table. You add that 50000 to the cost of a masterwork weapon to get the final value for your magic weapon.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #2346
    Ettin in the Playground

Hah, I saw your attempt at swordsaging.

What Khelb_Panthera wrote is generally correct except that Flaming is just like Frost a special ability that costs +1. So the example weapon would cost like a +3 weapon or 18000 gp (bonus²*2000 gp, weapons are more expensive than armors and shields).
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-22 at 04:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #2347
    Titan in the Playground

Hah, I saw your attempt at swordsaging.

What Khelb_Panthera wrote is generally correct except that Flaming is just like Frost a special ability that costs +1. So the example weapon would cost like a +4 weapon or 32000 gp (bonus²*2000 gp, weapons are more expensive than armors and shields).
    Were flaming and frosting only +1? I can't get into the srd for some reason.

If that's the case then it would be +1 each for the two abilities and +1 for the enhancement for a +3 total costing 18000. Nevertheless you don't ever have to have an enhancement bonus equal to all the special abilities you want before you can add them all.

It's generally considered most optimal to only put a +1 enhancement followed by whatever special abilities you like until you've got a +10 weapon that's comprised of +1 enhancement bonus and +9 worth of special abilities. Then you get greater magic weapon at CL 16 cast on it at the beginning of each day bringing it up to +5 enhancement and +9 worth of abilities. Just a little FYI.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

8. - Top - End - #2348
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    If that's the case then it would be +1 each for the two abilities and +1 for the enhancement for a +3 total costing 18000. Nevertheless you don't ever have to have an enhancement bonus equal to all the special abilities you want before you can add them all.
    Can't get there either but the DMG says +1 for both on p. 223

It's generally considered most optimal to only put a +1 enhancement followed by whatever special abilities you like until you've got a +10 weapon that's comprised of +1 enhancement bonus and +9 worth of special abilities. Then you get greater magic weapon at CL 16 cast on it at the beginning of each day bringing it up to +5 enhancement and +9 worth of abilities. Just a little FYI.
    Yup, unless of course you do not have anyone capable and willing to cast GMW.

9. - Top - End - #2349
    Titan in the Playground

Can't get there either but the DMG says +1 for both on p. 223

Yup, unless of course you do not have anyone capable and willing to cast GMW.
    That's what (eternal) wands are for. If there's noone in the party capable of activating such a device, you've likely got bigger problems than how to spec your weapon.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-22 at 04:52 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #2350
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what (eternal) wands are for. If there's noone in the party capable of activating such a device, you've likely got bigger problems than how to spec your weapon.
    Eternal wands always get the spell at minimum caster level. For GMW that would be CL 5. At CL 5 GMW only gives you a +1 Enhancement bonus just like regular Magic weapon. Regular wands with CL 16 won't be cheap for something you will want every encounter (375 gp *16 (CL)*3 (Spell Level)=18000 gp or 360 gp/day. Also that only gives you a real enhancement bonus of +4 as the spell and the enhancement bonus from the weapon do not stack. For the full +5 you would need CL 20 for 450 gp/day.

[Edit]GMW has a duration of 1hour/level, so you would probably only need one casting per day.[/Edit]
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-22 at 05:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #2351
    Banned

A 1163
    Willpell, your interpretation is incorrect. You do not need to be of a good alignment to cast [Good] spells. Only the opposed alignment is barred from casting them (Good<->Evil; Lawful<->Chaotic) A cleric who wants to cast [Good] spells just cannot be evil, nor can his deity. So neutral clerics can cast [Good] spells as well as [Evil] ones.
    Fixed my post.

12. - Top - End - #2352
    Pixie in the Playground

BUMP.

Quote Originally Posted by spacehulk View Post
    Q1155 GREATER POWERFUL CHARGE You can charge with extra force. Benefit: As Powerful Charge, but treat yourself as one size category larger than you are.

POWERFUL CHARGE You can charge with extra force. When you charge, if your melee attack hits, you deal an extra 1d8 points of damage (if you are Medium size). For Large creatures, the extra damage is 2d6; for Huge, 3d6; for Gargantuan, 4d6; and for Colossal, 6d6.

The question is: When you treat yourself one category larger, is that only for damage or for all effects of the charge? For example, if this charge was a part of a bull rush, would a medium character get a +4 size bonus?

Thanks.
    Thanks again.

13. - Top - End - #2353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1167 Has there ever been an official statblock for the Bloodstone of Fistandantilus from Dragonlance in 3.5?

14. - Top - End - #2354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1168 Are there any abjuration spells that grant a shield bonus to ac other than shield?

15. - Top - End - #2355
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1168

Deflect (Player's Handbook II, page 109) is an Abjuration spell which grants a shield bonus to AC.

16. - Top - End - #2356
    Titan in the Playground

A 1066

If the weapon attack hits, then the spell effect is resolves automatically without a second roll.

As for whether to make a Concentration check, that depends on what the purpose of the check is. Casting the spell to be channeled does not provoke attacks of opportunity, so you do not have to make a check to cast defensively. However, at least as far as I can tell, any other circumstances that would require a Concentration check to cast (e.g.- taking continuous damage, grappling, etc.) still apply.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #2357
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Q1169
    The 9th level Malconvoker (CSc) ability says you can dismiss your summoned evil creatures as an immediate action rather than a standard one.

Where's this implied rule about dismissing summoned monsters as a standard action?

18. - Top - End - #2358
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 1169

From the Player's Handbook, p. 176:

(D) Dismissible: If the Duration line ends with “(D),” you can
    dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s
    effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified
    form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal
    component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a
    spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very
    nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have
    to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.
    Since Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally are (D)ismissable, they take a standard action by default to dismiss the spell that summoned them.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

19. - Top - End - #2359
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1170 Can zombies take attacks of opportunity?

20. - Top - End - #2360
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1170

Yes. A Zombie has at least a slam attack which is a natural weapon. It has no rules that it does not get AoOs, so it threatens the adjacent quares (more if the base creature was large or larger) with its slam attack and thus gets an AoO.

21. - Top - End - #2361
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Q 1171 What rulebooks in 3.5 are considered "core". I keep hearing this term, but I can't find a definition anywhere.
    Last edited by Diadem; 2012-10-23 at 11:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #2362
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1171

Player Handbook 1, Dungeon Masters Guide 1, Monster Manual 1.

23. - Top - End - #2363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A1171
    As for the definition, it's written on the cover of said books. The DMG is "Core Rulebook II" for example

24. - Top - End - #2364
    Titan in the Playground

Q1172 What do I use to determine an NPC wealth, his HD or CR?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #2365
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q1173 If I am a spontaneous caster can I cast a spell in a higher slot without using metamagic? E.G. Can I cast fireball with no 3rd level slot available but 4th level slots unused.

26. - Top - End - #2366
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1172 ECL.

You use the NPC's effective character level, same as you do for PCs. That's your index into DMG Table 4–23: NPC Gear Value to figure out the total wealth each NPC has to equip themselves.

27. - Top - End - #2367
    Bugbear in the Playground

A1173
    Yes. From Rules Compendium Page 139, "Spell Slots" section:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium
    A spontaneous spellcaster always has the option to use a higher-level spell slot to cast a lower-level spell

28. - Top - End - #2368
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1172 ECL.

You use the NPC's effective character level, same as you do for PCs. That's your index into DMG Table 4–23: NPC Gear Value to figure out the total wealth each NPC has to equip themselves.
    Could you document this claim? The level adjustments in the adjoining tables are CR-based, which rather strongly suggests that CR (or even class level!) is the level that is intended to be used. Again, none of this is clear contradictory evidence, but I would be curious to see what evidence supports your position.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

29. - Top - End - #2369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1174 Where are the rules for spell research located?

30. - Top - End - #2370
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q1175
    Can barbarian in rage do AoO?
    Last edited by Kred; 2012-10-23 at 10:35 PM.