New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3055707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A1175

Quote Originally Posted by Kred View Post
    Q1175
    Can barbarian in rage do AoO?

Yes.
    Player's Handbook p. 25:
    While raging, a barbarian
    cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based
    skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and
    Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require
    patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate
    magic items that require a command word, a
    spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion
    (such as a scroll) to function. He can use
    any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item
    creation feats, and metamagic
    feats.
    Hitting things is well within a raging barbarian's capabilities
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-10-23 at 10:43 PM.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

2. - Top - End - #2372
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 1176: Does the target of a (non-damaging) spell feel anything indicating that they're being affected by magic? I had thought that I'd read something to that effect once, but I can't seem to find it.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Started in a city plaza where a summoned Girallon promptly appeared and began causing havoc.

3. - Top - End - #2373
    Banned

A1176
    In general if you succeed your save, you know you resisted something, though not exactly what it was (at least this is true in the case of Will saves, such as against a Charm). If you fail your save, you have no idea you've been affected until an obvious effect occurs. I forget the exact specifications; there may be numerous exceptions, so consider this a "rule of thumb" rather than an actual rule, although I'm certain there is an actual rule on which it's based.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-10-23 at 11:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #2374
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Last edited by Douglas; 2012-10-24 at 12:10 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #2375
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 1177

Can an artificer apply multiple metamagic feats to a scroll with metamagic spell completion? If yes, would he burn one of his uses or one for each metamagic feat applied?

6. - Top - End - #2376
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Could you document this claim? The level adjustments in the adjoining tables are CR-based, which rather strongly suggests that CR (or even class level!) is the level that is intended to be used.
    The primary column in this table is labeled "NPC Level", which means their character level. "Challenge Rating" is never stated as "Level". However, the numbers are often the same. From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 37:
    Challenge Ratings for NPCs
    An NPC with a PC class has a Challenge Rating equal to the NPC’s level.
    That's the simple case, though; an NPC who also has a level adjustment may have a different Challenge Rating than their ECL.

7. - Top - End - #2377
    Pixie in the Playground

Q1155 Sorry to be a pest, but I was hoping someone could answer this:
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehulk View Post
    Q1155 GREATER POWERFUL CHARGE You can charge with extra force. Benefit: As Powerful Charge, but treat yourself as one size category larger than you are.

POWERFUL CHARGE You can charge with extra force. When you charge, if your melee attack hits, you deal an extra 1d8 points of damage (if you are Medium size). For Large creatures, the extra damage is 2d6; for Huge, 3d6; for Gargantuan, 4d6; and for Colossal, 6d6.

The question is: When you treat yourself one category larger, is that only for damage or for all effects of the charge? For example, if this charge was a part of a bull rush, would a medium character get a +4 size bonus?

Thanks.

8. - Top - End - #2378
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1155

I'd say no. Because of the "as powerful charge" you only get to be treated as one category larger for the purpose of determining the bonus damage.

9. - Top - End - #2379
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1178: With Radiant Servant of Pelor, the two following abilities:

Empower Healing (Ex): When a radiant servant of
    Pelor of at least 2nd level casts a domain spell from the
    Healing domain, that spell is affected
    as though by the Empower Spell
    feat. This spell does not use up a
    higher-level slot.

Supreme Healing (Ex): When a radiant servant of
    Pelor who is at least 10th level casts a domain spell from the
    Healing domain, that spell is affected as though by both the
    Empower Spell and the Maximize Spell feats. The spell does
    not use up a higher-level slot.
    it means I MUST have the healing domain and cast the spells from those extra domain slots to qualify for these feats right?
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-10-24 at 11:05 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

10. - Top - End - #2380
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q 1156: With Radiant Servant of Pelor, the two following abilities:

it means I MUST have the healing domain and cast the spells from those extra domain slots to qualify for these feats right?
    Your question is actually number 1178, there was just an older question being answered, causing confusion. So I'm answering you, but bolding 1178 instead of 1156 to try and get the numbers fixed.

A 1178: Yes. It specifies that only the domain spells are affected, so if you don't have the Healing domain those abilities are worthless to you.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Started in a city plaza where a summoned Girallon promptly appeared and began causing havoc.

11. - Top - End - #2381
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The primary column in this table is labeled "NPC Level", which means their character level. "Challenge Rating" is never stated as "Level". However, the numbers are often the same. From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 37: That's the simple case, though; an NPC who also has a level adjustment may have a different Challenge Rating than their ECL.
    In this case, your original response contained a misstatement, since you said Effective Character Level, rather than Character Level. I agree that the latter is the answer supported by the text.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

12. - Top - End - #2382
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    In this case, your original response contained a misstatement, since you said Effective Character Level, rather than Character Level. I agree that the latter is the answer supported by the text.
    But since PCs use their effective character level (rather than their actual character level) to determine their WBL, NPCs ought to do the same.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #2383

Q1179 Does Spontaneous Casting affect casting time at all? Am unclear on the function

14. - Top - End - #2384
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1179

Spontaneous casting only affect casting time when using metamagic. Metamagic used by a spontaneous caster always takes at least a full round action i.e. no Quickened spells for spontaneous casters.

Otherwise the difference is in spell preparation or lack thereof. A preparing caster needs to decide which spell goes into which spell slot every day. A spontaneous caster does not. He can simply decide which spell to use. He is only limited by his spells per day.

Example:
    Both casters know only Magic missile and Shield. Both get 3 level 1 spells per day.

A preparing caster would have to decide how often to prepare both spells. 2 magic missliles, 1 shield, or 3 magic missiles or whatever.

A spontaneous caster could decide spontaneously for which spell to use each of his spells per day

15. - Top - End - #2385
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Q 1180 A wizard guide I read suggested the spell Nerveskitter, and implies you can cast it on yourself. However, the spell description only talks about "Your ally". Can you cast this spell on yourself?

16. - Top - End - #2386
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1180: Yes.

Per the glossary

ally
    A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to "allies" include yourself.

Source: PHB
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

17. - Top - End - #2387
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1181: When a thrikreen uses two two handed weapons at once, can they take the multi weapon fighting feat and only get -2 to each attack?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

18. - Top - End - #2388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1182: If you see a caster casting a Silent Image or any other illusion spell and see for example a wall where there wasn't one previously, is that enough proof to determine that it is an illusion? As in, you are in a room and suddenly the caster makes an illusion of a wall in front of you, blocking line of sight. Can you automatically say it is a illusion and proceed to walk in, or do you need to take an action to interact with it to disbelieve it?
    Last edited by Snowbear22; 2012-10-24 at 09:42 PM.
    Player Registry

Credit for Avatar goes to happyturtle.

19. - Top - End - #2389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbear22 View Post
    Q 1182: If you see a caster casting a Silent Image or any other illusion spell and see for example a wall where there wasn't one previously, is that enough proof to determine that it is an illusion? As in, you are in a room and suddenly the caster makes an illusion of a wall in front of you, blocking line of sight. Can you automatically say it is a illusion and proceed to walk in, or do you need to take an action to interact with it to disbelieve it?
    DM call.

I'd give him the save immediately because he has every reason to suspect an illusion, but it's not a guaranteed pass.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

20. - Top - End - #2390
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbear22 View Post
    Unless you make a successful Spellcraft check to identify that the spell cast was an illusion, you would be just as likely to believe the character has conjured an actual wall. You could fairly easily disprove the wall's reality by tapping on it or something, but this would constitute an "interaction" which gives you the Will save to disbelieve; the GM would have to decide whether doing this requires an action or can be done for free. He might let you make an Intelligence check to "guess" that spellcasters often produce illusions and that conjuring a real wall would be far more difficult, but if you fail such a check or aren't allowed to make one, he might prohibit your character from trying to walk through the wall if he's done nothing to assure himself that it isn't solid (unless he's the type to routinely ram straight into walls he believes are solid just in case they aren't, in which case he should definitely be suffering damage when he indulges this habit). Really, it's all DM's call on this one.

21. - Top - End - #2391
    Titan in the Playground

Q1183

If you gain a level in a prc that advances your cleric spellcasting do those levels stack for domain special powers? For example, if im a cleric 3/church inquisitor 5 and i had the strength domain, would i get +3 str or +8 str?

22. - Top - End - #2392
    Banned

A1183
    The PRC does not advance your actual cleric level for any purpose. It only causes your spellcasting to advance "as if" you had gained a cleric level, so your caster level, number of spells per day, maximum spell level and so forth will increase, but calculations related to your actual cleric level (including domain powers as well as Turn Undead and the like) will not be affected, because "you do not gain any other benefit of a cleric level" or however they phrased it.

23. - Top - End - #2393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    A1183
    The PRC does not advance your actual cleric level for any purpose. It only causes your spellcasting to advance "as if" you had gained a cleric level, so your caster level, number of spells per day, maximum spell level and so forth will increase, but calculations related to your actual cleric level (including domain powers as well as Turn Undead and the like) will not be affected, because "you do not gain any other benefit of a cleric level" or however they phrased it.

Q1183 cont.

Then how does it work when you get a domain from a class that isn't cleric? For example contemplative via favoured soul entry or something.
    Edit: I know how the spell availability works, I'm specifically wondering about the domain granted powers that refer to 'cleric level'
    Last edited by Crake; 2012-10-25 at 04:13 AM.

24. - Top - End - #2394
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post

Q1183 cont.

Then how does it work when you get a domain from a class that isn't cleric? For example contemplative via favoured soul entry or something.
    Presumably not very well. Sometimes, without saying "sorcerers cannot enter, wizard levels are mandatory", they make a PRC which just plain isn't any good for sorcerers and just has the unwritten requirement that you have to be a wizard or you'll never want that class (well maybe not "never", but functionally so). If you want to try and qualify for a Cleric-based class as a Favored Soul (nevermind why you would even want to try, given that FSes get every spell a level later than Clerics, and thus take longer to qualify for anything that demands divine spells of a level higher than 1st), then you may just have to put up with some of your stuff sucking, unless you can talk the DM into ruling more generously. This being the RAW thread, though, I am not aware of any RAW which would specify that you do add non-cleric levels to a stat which simply says "cleric level" in how to calculate it. So, absent any such specification, you can't.

25. - Top - End - #2395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Presumably not very well. Sometimes, without saying "sorcerers cannot enter, wizard levels are mandatory", they make a PRC which just plain isn't any good for sorcerers and just has the unwritten requirement that you have to be a wizard or you'll never want that class (well maybe not "never", but functionally so). If you want to try and qualify for a Cleric-based class as a Favored Soul (nevermind why you would even want to try, given that FSes get every spell a level later than Clerics, and thus take longer to qualify for anything that demands divine spells of a level higher than 1st), then you may just have to put up with some of your stuff sucking, unless you can talk the DM into ruling more generously. This being the RAW thread, though, I am not aware of any RAW which would specify that you do add non-cleric levels to a stat which simply says "cleric level" in how to calculate it. So, absent any such specification, you can't.
    well, the thing is, they devised rules for non clerics getting domains and everything, but I've never seen anything concerned with this.

26. - Top - End - #2396
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    well, the thing is, they devised rules for non clerics getting domains and everything, but I've never seen anything concerned with this.
    Many domains have a granted power which doesn't calculate based on cleric level. The ones that do...well maybe the designers of those books assumed there was a way but failed to provide one. Or maybe there is actually a way and I don't know it.

27. - Top - End - #2397
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q1184
    I'm interested in mechanics to get above-WBL money. I know about Mercantile Background and Landlord feats. Is there something else?

28. - Top - End - #2398
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1185

Are there specialized summoning spells that only summon devils or demons available to clerics?

What about wizards?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-25 at 07:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #2399

30. - Top - End - #2400
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1186

Can non-Epic characters use the various epic skill uses? Assume they can pull off the DC.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-10-25 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to bold

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv