New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Random Worldbuilding Questions (Biology, Geography, Society, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Every single day of the year was in some Saint's name, and these days were common knowledge - not a skill for priests only. The standard commoner would definitely know the date - unless he was an outcast, or living alone and isolated.

Now, for the year, I have no information.
    Yes, but not every Saint is honored in every location -- otherwise everyday would be a holiday, and no work would get done. ;-) In fact, there are more than enough saints to fill several calendars, so locality would be key. Also, is it realistic for people who don't study the saints to know all of them, or just the ones that are celebrated with feasts?

I was thinking about where I may have picked up some of this information, and I remembered that there's a section on it in the GURPS middle ages book. Not much, but they do claim that people usually dated events by feasts of the church, rather than by months and days. Also that instead of celebrating their birthdays, they typically celebrated the Saint's day that bore their name. It's interesting -- I wish I had more info.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Planar View Post
    Hmm, I can see that timekeeping is an arduous and perhaps unnecessary task for common folk but then somebody must be keeping track of it, right? Who else, do you think, would be interested in such a task other than clergy? Tax collectors immediately spring to mind.
    Chroniclers might be interested, but you have to keep in mind who they were writing for. For the most part, we are able to convert from one system to another, so it's not too a big of deal.

Astrologers and Astronomers (ok, really the same then), needed to know the dates rather precisely, to perform calculations. In fact, even modern astronomical methods can involve first converting to the Julian calendar.

--EDIT--

Actually Tax collectors didn't need to know. Again the GURPS middle ages book points out that, at least in England, things like the rent, contracts, and payments (I would assume that might include taxes), were often due on the "quarter days" which were based on four fixed feasts.

Tax collectors may have needed to know when the year began and ended, for a proper evaluation of the tax, but I'm not sure if it was really that necessary -- taxes levied against money can be applied at any time, taxes on produce would occur at the harvest, taxes on trade when the trade took place, etc.
    Last edited by fusilier; 2012-10-24 at 02:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Why hasn't this thread been sticked? It actually looks like it deeply belongs in this section of the forum
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

4. - Top - End - #784
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fusilier View Post
    Tax collectors may have needed to know when the year began and ended, for a proper evaluation of the tax, but I'm not sure if it was really that necessary -- taxes levied against money can be applied at any time, taxes on produce would occur at the harvest, taxes on trade when the trade took place, etc.
    That's actually good to know and makes much more sense when you think about it.

Thanks to everyone who replied, you have been a huge help.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Barbarian in the Playground

1) On Eastern Europe commoners knowing the date:

Whoops, sorry, my mistake, I didn't pay attention to the century. If it's pre-christianization, I don't know how they dealt with it, or even what sort of calendar was in use.

(But if you do have a religion with a saint for every day, it doesn't mean that every day is "holy" and therefore you don't go to work. It just means that people who are named after the saint get "happy namesday" wishes, and there may be a celebration of some sort. And if there's a mass, the priest will commemorate the saint of the day with a short hymn. That's all.)

2) On my "legal" question

I simplified my question for the sake of brevity, but I ended up confusing people. It's purely a matter of jurisdiction. Evidence, political ramifications and chances of conviction are my concerns, don't worry about them.

In any case, I gather that I can invent a law which allows prosecution in such cases, without making it sound completely outlandish. So thanks.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Question: What is Tippy-verse?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

if i recall correctly it was designed by emperor tippy (i think that his users name anyway) based on the idea that cheap reliable teleport would make a traditional society non functional. An enemy can throw all its force at a single point and then retreat instantly so you cant defend scattered holdings. Combined with food water and fabricate traps any city, town or village other then the capital is redundant so the entire population of each nation is located in the capital city.

Their is more to it but i believe that is the core of the tippy verse.
    Last edited by awa; 2012-10-29 at 01:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Question: What is Tippy-verse?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222007
    Magic of DnD taken to a conclusion that negates the need for resources.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

so what would happen if you could open a stable portal deep under water then pointed the other end at something.

I suspect the weight of the water on top would force the water out with considerable force, but physics is really not my strong point so i decided to ask.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Any TF2 players here?

Because I am in need of hats.

Specifically, I am looking for any kinds of hats and headwear in general that would look appropriate in a prehistoric setting. It doesn't need to be from any specific era or culture, it just shouldn't look like something that is clearly medieval or modern.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    so what would happen if you could open a stable portal deep under water then pointed the other end at something.

I suspect the weight of the water on top would force the water out with considerable force, but physics is really not my strong point so i decided to ask.
    Randall Munroe mentioned it recently in nthe Short Answer Section on What If? The example he used was just air and 8,000 feet elevation:
    Bernoulli’s principle gives us this estimate of the air flow rate:

Flow rate = √2×Sea level pressure − Mexico City pressure / Density of air = 440 mph

That’s fast enough to strip up the pavement from a parking lot. I suggest we put it in Kendall Square—the MIT folks are probably used to dealing with this kind of thing.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/14/
    Now with water, the effect would be much more drastic. At 8,000 feet, air pressure is just 2.5 times higher at sea level. You get the same difference for water pressure at a depth of just 15 meters, or 50 feet. In the ocean, you can easily go 100 times or 200 times that deep, for a pressure difference of 300 times.

At 1000 meters depth, water pressure is about 100 kg/cm˛ or 1,500 psi. That's about the output of a moderate size pressure washer. But those things are tiny. With portals, you could have a jet of water several meters accross.
    If the portal is 1m in diameter, that would be 20.000 kg of force pushing on whatever the water hits. That's about three elephants. Make it 5m in diameter and you get 500.000 kg. That's about two fully grown blue whales.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-29 at 06:44 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

turbans, skull caps and feathered head dress are all quite old
    Last edited by awa; 2012-10-29 at 06:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Any TF2 players here?

Because I am in need of hats.

Specifically, I am looking for any kinds of hats and headwear in general that would look appropriate in a prehistoric setting. It doesn't need to be from any specific era or culture, it just shouldn't look like something that is clearly medieval or modern.
    Any ideas?
    I'd say a fur cap. The Ushanka has been around for quite some time, with records of it going back to the 11th century, although the more typical round version is only from the 20th century… However, I'd say that a simple fur or leather cap would be most likely.

Also, if you were looking for helmets, then you could go with bronze, bone, or iron.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

13. - Top - End - #793

The ever-popular chullo!

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

That's odly similar to the four winds hat, that I just found.
    Spoiler
    Show

Very different hat, but similar decotations and also a a soft cap.

Straw cone hats might also work.

And of course, the Link Hat.
    Spoiler
    Show

You can actually google that and get lots correct results.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-29 at 07:26 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

15. - Top - End - #795

Is it physically possible for muscles to support a human(?) body when the bones are broken/shattered/removed? That is, ignoring the fact pain would incapacitate you.
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

16. - Top - End - #796

No.

Simply put, the muscles are springs that sits between bones. When they contract they pull the bones closer to one another. So when you lift your hand, the muscle in your lower arm contract pulling it closer to the upper arm. And when you drop it, the musle on the other side of the lower arm pulls it down towards the other side of the upper arm again.

In order for our muscles to work we need the skeleton.

17. - Top - End - #797

SwashbucklerGuy

There could be limited movement with broken bones, but it depends on the nature of the break.

Linear fracture would probably be best case for usability, although pain would probably be an issue. Incomplete fractures would also allow for some mobility, but excessive use of a limb with such a fracture can result in the fracture spreading to the point of it becoming a complete fracture.

Oblique and transverse fractures could result in some usability, although it's discouraged as using a limb with such a fracture can result in more damage, both to the muscles and to the bone, potentially resulting in complications such as a spiral fracture.

Shattered bones, comminuted fractures, and avulsion fractures would probably be worst case scenarios for usability, and impacted fractures can be quite bad, especially if it's on a load-bearing bone such as one of the bones in the leg.

Removed bones, on the other hand… impossible, or at least VERY difficult. You may still be able to move the muscles, but you wouldn't be able to control what they did very well, if at all…

TL;DR: Yes, it is possible for certain situations, but it is NOT recommended.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

It's like rubber bands or pneumatic cylinder. Without a good lever to hold on they can't really do much work.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Halfling in the Playground

Peach please?

Question: do you think this is enough?

Spoiler
    Show
    Elves are one of the world’s shortest lived races, with a lifespan of only 50 years. They are regarded as “savages” by the other races because of their tribal culture and individualist religion. Their auburn hair and war canoes are very distinctive marks of the vast confederacy of tribes. They populate many of the smaller islands of the world. Their social hierarchy is loose, with leaders falling in and out of power with every minor challenge to their power.

Elven tribal life is very simple. The daily life of the average warrior is get up, eat, hunt, eat, chores, eat and then sleep. Tribal leaders include 3 positions: chieftain, shaman, and overseer. Chieftains are the political leaders of the tribe. Their responsibilities include governing the tribe, organizing canoe raids and assigning duties to warriors. This position is highly fluid, at any time any elf can challenge the chieftain to a duel. This duel is highly informal, usually just the chieftain drawing his sword and striking his challenger down. Treat this duel as an Iajitsu duel. On the off chance that the challenger wins, he immediately assumes power and his supporters let out a whoop. This whoop informs all elves in the area of the change in power.

Shaman are the center of divine power of the tribe. Their duties include blessings, healings, and advice of the male elves. Shaman are all male; they represent the magic inside the individual beliefs of every elf. The shaman has three apprentices at any time, when an apprentice feels that he can surpass the shaman the apprentice seeks allies in the form of the overseer or the chieftain. As soon as the apprentice has a sponsor, he can assume the title of “Mantle Bearer.” Mantle Bearers must perform a deed of great power to remove the distinctive blue cloak that constantly adorns their shoulders. This deed could be resurrecting an ally or healing an entire village. Only once this deed is completed does the Mantle Bearer gather three apprentices and formally replace the current shaman.

Overseers are among the most respected arcane wielders in the islands, only rivaled by kobold archmagi. The overseers are all female. They represent the magic dwelling inside each and every elf. Whenever a daughter is born to the chieftain the overseer casts powerful divinations that test the suitability of the child to wield the powerful arcana. When the tests are complete, the child is struck with a powerful divine bolt called by the current shaman. This bolt turns the auburn hair of the child a golden blonde. This princess is forever known as a “marked elf.” When the current overseer dies, the oldest living marked elf of the tribe assumes the role of overseer.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Enough for what?
    Sounds all okay, though.

21. - Top - End - #801

enough to run this nation in a game i am running. i'll obviously have to whip up 5-10 NPCs and a handful of cities.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by starship1 View Post
    enough to run this nation in a game i am running. i'll obviously have to whip up 5-10 NPCs and a handful of cities.
    It looks interesting, but I'd have to say cities were the farthest thing from my mind. I'd have guessed they were a society whose biggest group numbered 100-200 elves. Otherwise that structure seems too flat. Also it's tough to hunt or gather much in a city.
    I was taking it as a spin on plains tribes in North America.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Orc in the Playground

It looks like a good framework to work within. I'd whip up some variations for individual tribes, though. Nothing major, and it should all clearly be part of the same cultural tradition, but each tribe should put its own spin on it, at least in small ways.
    Your ad here! Call 1-800-SELLOUT.

24. - Top - End - #804

I agree, i meant to put "villages"

25. - Top - End - #805
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Yeah, that works. Sounds like fun!

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Peach please?
    What happens to all the shamans displaced by their apprentices? They have the same amount of power they did before but are now no longer shamans?

What do they do now? (or is it something like an extended retirement?)

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

How does ventilation and heating work in large castles and inhabited caves? If you make a fire you get smoke everywhere.

28. - Top - End - #808

this would be impossible, because there are only 2 sponsers for the apprentices: the chieftan and the overseer, if there are 2 mantle bearers, than it is highly unlikely for this to happen at the same time

29. - Top - End - #809
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

this would be impossible, because there are only 2 sponsers for the apprentices: the chieftan and the overseer, if there are 2 mantle bearers, than it is highly unlikely for this to happen at the same time
    When a mantle bearer- lets call him Phil- performs his great deed, he replaces the current shaman- lets call him George. Now Phil is shaman. All hail Phil! What happens to George now?
    Does he trundle off to another village? Found his own group? Lose all powers and become head dishwasher? Become apprentice? Wander the wilds? Challenge the chieftain? Get a golden parachute severance package? Get a rusty blade severance package?

30. - Top - End - #810
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    How does ventilation and heating work in large castles and inhabited caves? If you make a fire you get smoke everywhere.
    I'd imagine that there would be a chimney, and for a cave, you'd also want a source of make-up air, ie clean air coming in to replace the smoke going out. Actually you'd want that in a castle, too, but practically speaking there would be many sources of make-up air. Most would be unintentional- cracks and gaps and holes with other purposes, like windows and arrow slits. Castles were/are notoriously drafty.

Heat-stack effect will take that hot smoky air up and out, pushed by the cold air leaking in. The better the chimney, the better the smoke clears.

This does raise a point, though. Cave dwelling races with dark vision must have evolved to prefer cooler temperatures, by and large, since they are not typically portrayed as sitting around a fire all day to keep warm.