New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So... I just sat down and saw the 1996 movie with a friend... and it was so terrible! I mean, okay, not terrible, terrible, but bad. The... Eight was decent enough but all the weird stuff with the Master, the Eye of Harmony, pretty much everything that happened in this movie was just so off...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that movie was bad.
    it was terrible.. and I had mostly managed to forget all about it.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    STRAX!! I thought he died. Maybe another from his clone batch?

In any case, I agree. Damn moon.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    it was terrible.. and I had mostly managed to forget all about it.
    That is also what I have heard. I think I may have seen it when it was first broadcast, but I was like 6 years old so I really don't remember anything that happened. Was there a cliff in it at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Either a clone, he didn't actually die, Strax could be a name given to all disgraced Sontaran's or Moffat's favourite it's from some point in Strax's past.

We do need to take out those moonites though, I'm sure they are plotting against us
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Either a clone, he didn't actually die, Strax could be a name given to all disgraced Sontaran's or Moffat's favourite it's from some point in Strax's past.

We do need to take out those moonites though, I'm sure they are plotting against us
    Also for a second there, when they said "The Great Detective" I was half expecting Benedict Cumberbatch to walk onscreen. I will just have to cope with my disappointment. WHICH I CAN DO BECAUSE OF STRAX!

5. - Top - End - #875
    Barbarian in the Playground

So...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I finished the first season with the 11th Doctor. And I like him, I really do. It's just...
    David Tennet was just so amazing. He was a brilliant combination of smartness and funny, he's just my favorite doctor, along with the 9th. Amy Pond is my favorite companion though, she's absolutely brilliant.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

6. - Top - End - #876
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, same here. Smith is just not as good as an actor. I can deal with it as long as the stories as good, especially since the Companions are really good, but when the writing gets worse later on, the show begins to suffer.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #877
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Could just be a earlier point in his timeline, like the first time the doctor meats River Song and she sacrifices herself for him.
    Halloween Inspired 3.5 content
    Eldritch Cultist [3.5 Base Class]

A Vitreous Drinker with a Robe of Eyes, for that extra eye feel.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoilers, sweetie

Spoiler
    Show
    So I thought that the Weeping Angels were creepy...
    I wasn't prepared for The Silence.
    I was so scared by the end of the episode, that I half-expected to find my arms marked.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    So...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I finished the first season with the 11th Doctor. And I like him, I really do. It's just...
    David Tennet was just so amazing. He was a brilliant combination of smartness and funny, he's just my favorite doctor, along with the 9th. Amy Pond is my favorite companion though, she's absolutely brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah, same here. Smith is just not as good as an actor. I can deal with it as long as the stories as good, especially since the Companions are really good, but when the writing gets worse later on, the show begins to suffer.
    It's been said and discussed 100+ times, but hey, I'm bored and waiting for Christmas. Everyone has their favorite Doctor, or even their favorite in just the old and/or just the new. Personally, Smith is my favorite. Tennant was too melodramatic and human for my tastes, and some of the character traits he was given as the Doctor I found utterly annoying. Smith, while admittedly not as good an actor (I think he does jubilation and excitement better, but just about everything else worse) is to me far more likeable a character. His only downside has been this last half season which I found heavily flawed in just about every episode. And even then, I don't think the flawed episodes were his fault or were worse acted from him, on the contrary I think he's improved. But the episodes themselves just fell flat and lowered my enjoyment of the series.

Ultimately though, it's just opinions. There's no right or wrong answer and everyone has "their Doctor" that just clicked for them. Smith did for me, and I'm glad Tennant did for you.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

I keep being told to give Doctor Who another chance after being discouraged by Seasons 3 and 4 and swearing to never watch it again. Is Season 5+ notably different, enough that I could give it another shot? Because I'm not going into this thing without massive reassurance and maybe a football helmet.

Seriously, though. The End of Time was possibly the worst television episode I willingly watched (even worse than the finale of LOST and that's nothing if not impressive), I can't overstate how different these seasons need to be before I step back into the pool. Someone please please please talk me into it.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-11-19 at 11:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    I keep being told to give Doctor Who another chance after being discouraged by Seasons 3 and 4 and swearing to never watch it again. Is Season 5+ notably different, enough that I could give it another shot? Because I'm not going into this thing without massive reassurance and maybe a football helmet.

Seriously, though. The End of Time was possibly the worst television episode I willingly watched (even worse than the finale of LOST and that's nothing if not impressive), I can't overstate how different these seasons need to be before I step back into the pool. Someone please please please talk me into it.
    Well first of all, you're asking to be talked into it so you're half way there. Does the deus ex machina stop? No. So if you can't deal with that, not the show for you. However Amy and Rory are by far the best companions (in my opinion) so there is that, and the story arcs begin to incorporate more than just a final two/three parter. On top of that I think the humor takes a bit of a leap forwards (no farting aliens, no Donna Noble) and Neil Gaiman has written a few episodes.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

New Doctor, less melodramatic, more crazy. No one even says the name Rose. New style of writing that goes for a bigger central story arc, this can either be considered good or bad, while I personally think it's pretty interesting the more you break it down the less sense it makes. Personally I think season 5 and 6 were great. Much better than 3 as a whole (though I'll admit I loved the first two Master episodes of that season, the season finale was disappointing though). And while yes End of Time was crap, I also really enjoyed Donna as a companion so I don't think back on Season 4 as negatively as you do.

Season 5 and 6 are mostly about exploring a new doctor and his relationship with his new companions, Amy Pond, Rory Williams, and the previously seen River Song. Many see River as a Mary Sue, though in my opinion she's not as big of one as the Doctor himself. She does however at times one up the Doctor, while I personally think it evens out with the Doctor rather frequently saving her life or one uping her, many do not see it that way and believe that the seasons suffer for it. Amy and Rory became my favorite of the Doctors companions, but again, folks disagree. They're both pretty flawed with Amy being a bit selfish and Rory starting out as a rehash of whatever Rose's first boyfriends name was (Mikey wasn't it?), though he develops far beyond him in my opinion.

So yeah, overall they're possibly my favorite seasons of New Who (though my favorite episodes are Dalek and the first two Master episodes) but like all of Doctor Who they have problems. They are better if you can sit and enjoy a cool ride without over-analyzing things (especially when things are explained away by furious hand-waving and shouting TIME TRAVEL!). So basically the same as Doctor Who has been since it's reintroduction. There are no episodes I have found as repugnant as The End of Time, Fear Her, and Love and Monsters, at least not until Season 7 which I found as a drop of quality for the first 5 episodes shown. I'm waiting to see how the second half of the season goes.

I would suggest no matter what, you at least watch up to the episode written by Neil Gaiman entitled The Doctor's Wife. Because it's awesome.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

I would suggest no matter what, you at least watch up to the episode written by Neil Gaiman entitled The Doctor's Wife. Because it's awesome.
    you probably had him at "Neil Gaiman"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884

you probably had him at "Neil Gaiman"
    Nope. Don't even know who that is.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. Don't even know who that is.
    Celebrated author, writer of the absolutely fantastic "Sandman" comics, as well as the books Coraline, Stardust, American Gods, and more but these names will probably be meaningless to you.

In any case, he's a very good writer of science fiction and fantasy and has quite a following.

In any case, two minorly spoilery links. The Time and Space shorts were basically what made me decide to watch Doctor Who in the first place. If you think the humor and relationships seem fun in the two of them I'd go for it. If you don't, of course, don't.

Part 1: Time
    Part 2: Space

16. - Top - End - #886

Celebrated author, writer of the absolutely fantastic "Sandman" comics, as well as the books Coraline, Stardust, American Gods, and more but these names will probably be meaningless to you.
    Haven't read any of them although I saw the film adaptations of Coraline and Stardust. Can't say I cared for either of them.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

you disliked stardust?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #888

you disliked stardust?
    Sure. Let's say "disliked". That's a way of putting it.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

Rumour has it that David Tennant will be doing a 50th anniversary Doctor Who special. This is from an unconfirmed "solid source" though, so take it with a grain of salt. David himself was apparantly dropping hints, but nothing has actually been confirmed.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Also for a second there, when they said "The Great Detective" I was half expecting Benedict Cumberbatch to walk onscreen. I will just have to cope with my disappointment. WHICH I CAN DO BECAUSE OF STRAX!
    Friend of mine was hoping throughout the whole scene Cumberbatch would be the shadowy figure against all odds. Poor girl, still thinks Moffat liked his viewers

To be hinest, I'm not quite sure what to expect with the christmas special... 2011 was fun but 2010 was a total bummer for me... And evil snowmen...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Rumour has it that David Tennant will be doing a 50th anniversary Doctor Who special. This is from an unconfirmed "solid source" though, so take it with a grain of salt. David himself was apparantly dropping hints, but nothing has actually been confirmed.
    These kind of hints? (it's at about 0:50)
    Or these?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

RTD is out, Moffat is in, and the difference is very pronounced at times. The Doctor is no longer arrogant and angsty (and considerably less genocidal), and it's a much more mellowed show, much less flashy dramaticism. Moffat started it with the vision of making Doctor Who more "fairy tale-esque", and it certainly shows.

It has some of the best episodes of NuWho, period.

Also: you know The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances from Season 1, The Girl in the Fireplace from Season 2, Blink from Season 3, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead from Season 4? All done by the current (Season 5+) lead writer.

Season five, more or less, is a "soft reboot". It retains continuity with the old series, but it almost entirely never references Seasons 1-4, with one very notable Moffaty exception. Well, okay. Two exceptions, now that I think of it.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2012-11-20 at 04:16 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    RTD is out, Moffat is in, and the difference is very pronounced at times. The Doctor is no longer arrogant and angsty (and considerably less genocidal), and it's a much more mellowed show, much less flashy dramaticism. Moffat started it with the vision of making Doctor Who more "fairy tale-esque", and it certainly shows.

It has some of the best episodes of NuWho, period.

Also: you know The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances from Season 1, The Girl in the Fireplace from Season 2, Blink from Season 3, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead from Season 4? All done by the current (Season 5+) lead writer.

Season five, more or less, is a "soft reboot". It retains continuity with the old series, but it almost entirely never references Seasons 1-4, with one very notable Moffaty exception. Well, okay. Two exceptions, now that I think of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "More Guilt!" Image stays the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    this thing wants me to download stuff before showing anything.. is that the way it's supposed to be?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a PDF file, opening it is technically downloading.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder what my Professor would say if I was to write my Master thesis in Gallifreyan.... (pun not intended)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm totally a "stop having fun" guy when it comes to this. My main problem with is that people will start trying to translate the Galilfreyan that appears in the show and then be disappointed when it doesn't make any sense.

In other news, today is the 49th anniversary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #899
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

So I watched the first half of the first season of the eleventh Doctor about a year ago. And saw On-Demand BBCAmerica about 2 weeks ago that they had all of that season (5th?) the next season and the most recent season... But only until Dec 1st.

Needless to say I spend almost all of my nights watching 3-4 Doctor Who episodes and drinking tea.

I'm all caught up now, and thoroughly hooked. Might start looking around to start watching the early seasons of the tenth Doctor, he seems pretty crazy and enjoyable. Is the only way to see these on DVD?
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2012-12-05 at 04:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    So I watched the first half of the first season of the eleventh Doctor about a year ago. And saw On-Demand BBCAmerica about 2 weeks ago that they had all of that season (5th?) the next season and the most recent season... But only until Dec 1st.

Needless to say I spend almost all of my nights watching 3-4 Doctor Who episodes and drinking tea.

I'm all caught up now, and thoroughly hooked. Might start looking around to start watching the early seasons of the tenth Doctor, he seems pretty crazy and enjoyable. Is the only way to see these on DVD?
    I believe the entirety of the new show is on netflix, but you'll have to get someone who actually has netflix in the states to confirm that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1