Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Strawberries's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    (Also I totes have an review to be posted soon. Having chest x-rays and being dosed with antibiotics with death via heart arrhythmia and various types of organ failure and internal bleeding as possible side effects tends to take a bit out of you.)
    *Hugs*. Get well soon!

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    So yes, I do like that distinction, and seeing as I've said a quadrillion squillion times that I love character driven things lots this is why I'm willing to overlook a fair amount.
    Oh, hey! I'm the same!

    "Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    I don't think Moffat has that idea at all, as he greatly respected Davies and the two are close friends.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    My thoughts on the episodes:

    1. Asylum of The Daleks
    One question: These were the Daleks considered dangerously insane even by their own race of omnicidal maniacs. Interesting, sure, but why is there an asylum? Why weren't they all just exterminated?

    2. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    Will be either awesome or disappointing. With this premise/title, there is not much room for middle ground.

    3. A Town Called Mercy
    Should be cool. (Because Stetsons)

    4. Power of Three
    This will be hilarious.

    5. The Angels Take Manhattan
    I admit to being skeptical about repeated use of the Weeping Angels, especially trying to ramp up their threat level. But if it works, it'll be amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I'm most looking forward to a 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship'.
    This sounds and looks like B-movie ridiculousness masquerading as a plot. As long as it's not boring or tedious this will be marvellous in some fashion.
    I'm foreseeing Classic Who style cheesiness and Nu Who effects.
    In the Radio Times, Moffat said he pitched the episode to Chris Chibnall by just telling him the title and hoping he'd be impressed. Chibnall's response: "Could the Doctor ride a triceratops?"

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    'A Town Called Mercy'
    Because I know One had a Western-themed serial so yes, I'm thinking (read: hoping) for some call backs.
    Given I actually couldn't be bothered to watch that serial because it completely failed to grab me, I'm not sure how I'd feel about call-backs to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Toby "Whithouse" also wrote Vampires of Venice (season 5). Which sucked (ha!)
    Lies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Also you may want to see Wedding of River Song before Angels Take Manhattan at least. I bet it will be referenced.
    I'm not so sure it'll be referenced, but yes. I want that review.

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Sssshhh. Curlers.
    I look forward to seeing his possible hypocrisy/Thing That Makes Him Do That.
    Nah. Hypocrisy. (IMO)
    If it's more Daleks I'm going to kick my sister in the shins.
    Not The intended point of it was to suggest "The **** has really hit the fan now." Worked decently since IIRC he'd just been explaining the reasoning behind his "no guns" stance, giving it more impact.
    (Though only with regard to him not carrying one, not his companions or soldiers in his general vicinity - I think that particular idiocy may be safely attributed exclusively to Helen Raynor)

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Yep. Next time I'll say that I was busy getting pregnant. Or perhaps having a boxing match with a space!dolphin from Pollux b, which orbits the star we know as Pollux.
    The latter is more likely than the former.
    I was going to say. I mean, you have to keep these excuses plausible for us.


    Now, leaving aside most Moffat argument as nothing productive would come of it, suffice to say I still love all his stuff minus half an episode. However:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Moffat's all like "I've made Dr Who an event" and "The Davies era is a relic" or "My take is unique".
    [Citation needed]

    While fans of Moffat's Who are often scathing about RTD's run on the show, Moffat himself has not criticised Davies to my recollection.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    And the accentuate negative stuff is heavily influence by Confused Matthew and later, TGWTG
    By what and later what?
    Spoiler: Amusing/nice quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    *is too much awesome to behold*

    *runs awaaaaaay*
    Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Decent? Are you kidding? That is an epic win, good sir. *Shakes your hand*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Thufir I love the chess set and wish I had my own.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    [Citation needed]

    While fans of Moffat's Who are often scathing about RTD's run on the show, Moffat himself has not criticised Davies to my recollection.
    Actually, the one Moffat interview I remember where he mentions Davies he calls him a genius and defends him against his naysayers claiming that Davies has never used a Deus ex Machina.

    I do not agree with his stance, cause while I do enjoy Davies run, he used a lot of DEM.

    By what and later what?
    Internet reviewers of movies. Personally I thought Confused Mathew isn't worth the time it takes to look him up on google as his points are often not particularly thought out, completely misses the point of the show, or just complaining for complainings sake. And unlike That Guy With the Glasses (TGWTG) he doesn't cover all that up by being funny. TGWTG is a reviewing site filled with internet personalities like the Nostalgia Critic (the eponymous guy with the glasses), Linkara (reviews comics), and other reviewers of varying skill or lack thereof. They can be funny and if you enjoy a funny rant they should be checked out. Admittedly their humor is not for everyone.

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Androgeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    anyone going to be playing Dalek bingo tonight?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Avaris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The New Castle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Curly Responses!
    That is so true. Although I'm not disillusioned, I just think Moffat's let it get to his head and he should move on and work for something else (although, who would be the showrunner?). Moffat's all like "I've made Dr Who an event" and "The Davis era is a relic" or "My take is unique". You know what Moffat? Without Davis, your run would not have existed. Your run only works when contrasted with lighter and softer Davis. That's why your episodes were best, as a contrast. If you'd wanted to be first Showrunner, you could have done it. You did it with Rowan Atkinson. But you didn't. And your show would not have worked if it came before Davis. Cartmel master plan didn't work (by the way, Moffat's not trying to reproduce that, the plan has been leaked in a novel). This would not have worked unless Davis came beforehand.
    Y'know, leaving aside any opinions the Moff may have of RTD and without wanting to get back into an old and tired arguement (seriously, can we have one series where we're not arguing over the quality of the showrunner/episode writer of every episode?) I sort of see your point about why Moff's episodes were best in RTDs run... dark works well as a contrast to the lighter stuff, but the reverse is harder to get right; currently there is perhaps too much dark, so Moff's stuff does not stand out as well. While I think parts of RTDs run went too far to the other end of the scale, I can see the arguement for a lighter overall feel to avoid diluteing the truely scary bits.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

    I'm a world builder, but have no worlds of my own. If you have a basic concept and want ideas to flesh it out, I can help! Pm me!

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Androgeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    8 minutes people. I'm excited
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Strawberries's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Dinner has been baked and is ready to be eaten, beer is on the table... let's do this.

    "Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    I still have 7 hours.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Archonic Energy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Refugee of Aiur
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Spoiler
    Show
    doc Tor Who?
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

    i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Androgeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    doc Tor Who?
    Spoiler
    Show
    EGGS STIR MILK ATE
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-09-01 at 02:17 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Archonic Energy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Refugee of Aiur
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    EGGS AND MILK
    Spoiler
    Show
    all the good questions were taken.

    Poor Amy & Rory.

    they all survived me.


    join me tomorrow for my live dalekast
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

    i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Aidan305's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Daleks were scary. Scary Daleks are good.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not so certain how I feel on the elimination of the Doctor from Dalek memory. Kind of eliminates the whole rivalry thing they have going on.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    SUN-KEN VAL-LEY REVIEWS IS ON-LINE! ON-LINE! Nah, not gonna talk like that for the whole thing

    Asylum of the Daleks
    Spoiler
    Show


    Stuff I liked
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dalek Humans are spooky, brings the menace back to when the Daleks had human allies.

    "Doctor Who" at the end was good

    JENNA LOUISE COLEMAN: DALEK COMPANION! Okay, she was different, Moffat. You were right. That is awesome! Now the Doctor has a reason to meet and save her!

    Clever how the Doctor hid his immunity to the virus to re-kindle Amy and rory's love

    Was good for first ep


    Stuff I didn't like
    Spoiler
    Show
    I found the reason for Amy and Rory's divorce stupid. Lots of couples can't have kids. Plus it makes Amy look selfish. Again.

    Wiping The Daleks memory, bit mary sue Oswin. Well, I don't judge characters on first appearence and you are better than River



    Next time

    Spoiler
    Show




    9/10
    Last edited by Sunken Valley; 2012-09-01 at 02:23 PM.
    We're all in the Monster Manual somewhere. My entry is between Howler and Hydra.

    Unresolved Plot Point Collection Thread- For OOTS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    It's nice to see someone saying it isn't for once, the forum IQ did just go up. Please have a cookie Sunken Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    I thought Sunken Valley eloquently covered the points I wanted to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, exactly.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    New Episode:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that was cool. Of course, on the downside, that'll be the best episode of the season1...

    I had my suspicions about what was going out fairly early on, but it was sufficiently well done it was still a bit of a shock. Feel sorry for Dalek Oswin.

    (Actually, she could have been Best Compantion Ever - and I mean AS a Dalek! You could have had her speaking through her perspective - as this episode - and everybody reacting to a Dalek, except for sometimes... Could have been awesome! But, of course, they'd never do that, sadly. But it would have been stupidly cool!)

    And I have to say, that was as absolutely creepy as all get-out. Insane Daleks. Wow. Creeeeeepy. I regret I didn't bother to shut the curtains or anything, because that would really have benefitted from that treatment. Good use of the Daleks, and definately a fresh one.



    The only thing I am left with is questions. Dalek parliament? Scaro undestroyed (though to be fair, we saw that in the New Doctor Who Adventures game, but it was never really explained then.) How long has that asylum been there - because the Daleks are relatively new after bouncing back after their...near extinction, but then again, time-travel... So... I guess it was relatively recently there for a long time...? I... My skull hurts.

    (I suspect in, seriousness, Eleven has probably done more off-screen travelling and adventuring (and Dalek-stopping, in which to find all that information out) than many of his other incarnations; if only because he hasn't had a constant companion all the time. (Moffat really uses the whole time-travel thing as more than just a device to facilitate the set-up for the story, and I like that.)) I dunno. The Doctor's true age and time each regeneration is a bit of a murky issue at the best of times. I just get that impression anyway. He seems to jump about a bit more than some of the others.



    Also, gratuituous name dropping! (For, I think, the first time in the show's history, between this and last season.) Really wonder what they're building up to for the 50th, but it's going to be spectacular and/or interesting...



    I'm not sure I like the Daleks forgetting who the Doctor is, though. Them recognising him has been a facet of their character (albiet one that has become more and more pronouced and edged with fear as subjective time has passed) for so much of the show's history... Still, pretty sure it won't take 'em many foiled schemes to get that back...!)



    1The Daleks are always the best episode in the season...

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Strawberries's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Spoiler
    Show
    I had guessed the twist about Oswin... but I also had thought that the doctor wasn't immune to the virus. Oh, well. Half my guesses were right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stuff I didn't like
    Spoiler
    Show
    I found the reason for Amy and Rory's divorce stupid. Lots of couples can't have kids. Plus it makes Amy look selfish. Again.

    Wiping The Daleks memory, bit mary sue Oswin. Well, I don't judge characters on first appearence and you are better than River

    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree: stuff you didn't like was the same stuff I didn't like. But all in all, I enjoyed the episode.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-09-01 at 02:33 PM.

    "Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Stuff I liked
    Spoiler
    Show
    JENNA LOUISE COLEMAN: DALEK COMPANION! Okay, she was different, Moffat. You were right. That is awesome! Now the Doctor has a reason to meet and save her!
    Spoiler
    Show
    !?

    *spittake*

    Wait, hang on...!

    Y'know, I thought I recognised her at the start as the new companion (out of the Radio Times), and I thought, "oh yeah, she's going to be joining the Doctor, awesome, I like her already! Nice that they brought her in right away!"

    And then we got a bit further, and it became clear it was going to All End Badly, and I thought, "nah, must have been mistaken. Must be a different actress and I'm just not payin' much attention as usual..."

    I do Moffat a disservice!

    Oh, hells yes, this is going to be good. Is she going to end badly (presumably after her adventures with the Doctor), and we're seeing her River Song introduction moment, or is the Doctor going to rescue her from Dalekness (or something) before or after her transformation or something...? This is gonna be sooo coooool!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-01 at 02:37 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Hey, what time does Asylum premiere in the US? I'm having trouble finding it on the BBC website.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-09-01 at 02:39 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    I found the reason for Amy and Rory's divorce stupid. Lots of couples can't have kids. Plus it makes Amy look selfish. Again.
    How so? In what way was it selfish for Amy to give up Rory in the hopes he could have the children he wanted with someone else?

    More general thoughts: I loved the explanation for why the Asylum existed. Daleks find hatred beautiful. The inclusion of the Daleks who survived the Doctor was obviously a great touch, though I feel like more could have been made of it. The scene of Amy and Rory arguing was great.
    Oswin worked very well, I felt. Erasing the Daleks' memory of the Doctor... I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it fits the trend suggested at the end of series 6, and it's certainly interesting. We'll see how it plays out. And they did kind of have a theme running through the episode of memory.

    I am somewhat bothered by the fact it seems the Daleks can quite easily capture the Doctor when they don't want him dead, but if they were trying to kill him, of course they'd fail to do the same thing then. But never mind.
    Spoiler: Amusing/nice quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    *is too much awesome to behold*

    *runs awaaaaaay*
    Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Decent? Are you kidding? That is an epic win, good sir. *Shakes your hand*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Thufir I love the chess set and wish I had my own.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Androgeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    1The Daleks are always the best episode in the season...
    Except when they are in Manhattan
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    1The Daleks are always the best episode in the season...
    I'm not sure if I'd agree that has ever been the case...
    I mean, I love the Daleks, but there's always been something I considered a better episode, even when they weren't suffering from villain decay.
    Spoiler: Amusing/nice quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    *is too much awesome to behold*

    *runs awaaaaaay*
    Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Decent? Are you kidding? That is an epic win, good sir. *Shakes your hand*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Thufir I love the chess set and wish I had my own.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Strawberries's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    On the subject of

    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Erasing the Daleks' memory of the Doctor...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know this kind of logic doesn't always applies in the Dr Who universe, but my idea was that the Doctor would eventually get her to travel with him earlier in her timeline, so she would never have crashed into the Asylum and the whole thing would never have happened... but that's just my baseless speculation.

    "Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Spoiler
    Show
    So Daleks don't have memory backups?


    Nice try no cigars!

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Guys, hate to pour water on the excited discussion about the New Companion, but:

    Spoiler
    Show

    New companion's name is Carla, not Oswin, and you've obviously all forgotten that Karen Gillan appeared as a soothsayer in Pompeii long before she became a companion--as far as I know, the two characters were never supposed to be related, despite being played by the same actress.


    As for the episode, I thought it was pretty good, apart from a possible plot hole:

    Spoiler
    Show

    Not only do I not remember the TARDIS being aboard the Dalek spaceship when they were sent down to the planet, I have to ask why the Daleks brought it aboard anyway--they were clearly intending to send the Doctor on a one-way trip, so they could have just left it on Skaro.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Androgeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post

    Spoiler
    Show

    New companion's name is Carla, not Oswin, and you've obviously all forgotten that Karen Gillan appeared as a soothsayer in Pompeii long before she became a companion--as far as I know, the two characters were never supposed to be related, despite being played by the same actress.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Apparently Jenna's debut was meant to be a secret, so I think they are meant to be the same character



    As for the episode, I thought it was pretty good, apart from a possible plot hole:

    Spoiler
    Show

    Not only do I not remember the TARDIS being aboard the Dalek spaceship when they were sent down to the planet, I have to ask why the Daleks brought it aboard anyway--they were clearly intending to send the Doctor on a one-way trip, so they could have just left it on Skaro.
    Spoiler
    Show

    I would have thought a time lord's tardis would be a bit of a hot commodity
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-09-01 at 03:05 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    CurlyKitGirl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England, 932AD
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Koorly's Doctor Who Review Archive:
    Classic Who
    Spoiler
    Show
    Second Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 6
    'The Invasion' 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 part one, part two, 4/8 part one, part two, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8

    Fourth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 12
    'Genesis of the Daleks' 1/6, 2/6, 3/4, 5/6, 6/6

    Seventh Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 25
    'Remembrance of the Daleks' 1/4 part 1, part 2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4

    Nu Who
    Spoiler
    Show

    Season 1 - retrospective
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brief Whole Series Retrospective
    Ep. 1 'Rose'
    Ep. 2 'The End of the World'
    Ep. 3 'The Unquiet Dead'
    Ep. 4: 'Aliens of London' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'World War III' (2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'Dalek'
    Ep. 7: 'The Long Game'
    Ep. 8: 'Father's Day'
    Ep. 9: 'The Empty Child' (1/2)
    Ep. 10: 'The Doctor Dances' (2/2)
    Ep. 11: 'Boom Town'
    Ep. 12: 'Bad Wolf' (1/2)
    Ep. 13: 'The Parting of the Ways' (2/2)

    Christmas Episode: 'The Christmas Invasion'

    Season 2 - retrospective
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brief Whole Series Retrospective
    Ep. 1: 'New Earth'
    Ep. 2: 'Tooth and Claw'
    Ep. 3: 'School Reunion'
    Ep. 4: 'The Girl in the Fireplace'
    Ep. 5: 'Rise of the Cybermen' (1/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Age of Steel' (2/2)
    Ep. 7: 'The Idiot's Lantern'
    Ep. 8: 'The Impossible Planet' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Satan Planet' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Love and Monsters'
    Ep. 11: 'Fear Her'
    Ep. 12: 'Army of Ghosts' (1/2)
    Ep. 13: 'Doomsday' (2/2) GOODBYE ROSE!
    Charity Special: 'Doctor Who: Children in Need'
    Christmas Episode: 'The Runaway Bride'

    Season 3 - blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Smith and Jones'
    Ep. 2: 'The Shakespeare Code'
    Ep. 3: 'Gridlock'
    Ep. 4: 'Daleks in Manhattan' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Evolution of the Daleks' (2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Lazarus Experiment'
    Ep. 7: '42'
    Ep. 8: 'Human Nature' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Family of Blood' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Blink'
    Ep. 11: 'Utopia' (1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Sound of the Drums' (2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'The Last of the Time Lords' (3/3)
    Children in Need 2007 episode: 'Time Crash'
    2007 Christmas Episode: 'Voyage of the Damned'

    Bits and Bobs
    Retrospective - to be written later
    Why I Do Not Like Martha/Ten (This was written between my write ups of ep. 8 and ep 9)

    Season Four blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Partners in Crime'
    Ep. 2: 'The Fires of Pompeii'
    Ep. 3: 'Planet of the Ood'
    Ep. 4: 'The Sontaran Stratagem' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: ‘The Poison Sky‘ (2/2)
    Ep. 6: ‘The Doctor‘s Daughter‘ Two part review.
    Ep. 7: 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'
    Ep. 8: 'Silence in the Library' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'Forest of the Dead' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Midnight'
    Ep. 11: 'Turn Left' (1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Stolen Earth' (2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'Journey's End' (3/3)

    The Specials]
    1: 'The Next Doctor'
    2: 'Planet of the Dead'
    3: 'The Waters of Mars'
    4: 'The End of Time' (1/2)
    5: 'The End of Time' (2/2)


    Season 5 - blind bar Moffat's Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'The Eleventh Hour' (including 'Meanwhile in the TARDIS 1')
    Ep. 2: 'The Beast Below'
    Ep. 3: 'Victory of the Daleks'
    Ep. 4: 'The Time of the Angels' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Flesh and Stone' (2/2) (including 'Meanwhile in the TARDIS 2')
    Ep. 6: 'The Vampires of Venice'
    Ep. 7: 'Amy's Choice'
    Ep. 8: 'The Hungry Earth' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'Cold Blood' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Vincent and the Doctor'
    Ep. 11: 'The Lodger' (bar the angels this was the first episode I saw)
    Ep. 12: 'The Pandorica Opens' (1/2)
    Ep. 13: 'The Big Bang' (2/2)
    Christmas Episode: 'A Christmas Carol'


    Season 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    To to things this series was split in two, as such eps. 8 - Christmas episode will be liveblogged, and the first seven will be written with me having seen them before.
    Ep. 1: 'The Impossible Astronaut' (1/2)
    Ep. 2: 'Day of the Moon' (2/2)
    Ep. 3: 'The Curse of the Black Spot'
    Ep. 4: 'The Doctor's Wife' HELL YEAH!
    Ep. 5: 'The Rebel Flesh' (1/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Almost People' (2/2)
    Ep. 7: 'A Good Man Goes to War'
    Ep. 8: 'Let's Kill Hitler'
    Ep. 9: 'Night Terrors'
    Ep. 10: 'The Girl Who Waited'
    Ep. 11: 'The God Complex'
    Ep. 12: 'Closing Time'
    Ep. 13: 'The Wedding of River Song'

    Red Nose Day Specials: 'Space'/'Time'
    2011 Christmas Special: 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe'


    Season 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    Liveblogged unless otherwise mentioned.

    Ep. 1: 'Asylum of the Daleks'


    Odds and Sods
    Spoiler
    Show
    Things that don't really fit anywhere.

    'Good As Gold' Second Blue Peter scriptwriting competition for Doctor Who



    And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (Such a awesome introduction)*]

    DOUBLE FEATURE TIME!

    'The Wedding of River Song' (season 6b, ep 13)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah, watching this about an hour before season seven officially starts. Bit late that isn't it? I'm watching this now because someone said it might be important to the next season.

    Plus it's the only episode I've not seen for this season, I need one hundred percent completion for something after all.

    What do I know? Time's even more wibbly wobbly than normal, there are eyepatches, the Silent and I think somebody might be getting married. No idea whom. Oh wait, title spoilers.

    On with the show then.

    WE HAVE A PREVIOUSLY ON SEGMENT. Basically, for all the thick people who didn't understand the implications of the previous episode and oh - all the other BIG DRAMATIC REVEALS ABOUT RIVER SONG, River killed the Doctor. Time is now borked to Hell and back because apparently if a Time Lord doesn't exist time goes borkaborka. Even though River and ugh Jenny the genetic mutant still exist and are therefore part Time Lord.

    Oh, and figuring the Terminator-bot in the Previously segment tells me that said bot was or will be instrumental in the Doctor surviving to film season seven. And I do remember way back just post-'Let's Kill Hitler' there was speculation as to the Tesselator being the shot Doctor.

    This is what happened.

    I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but when you show a one episode villain with a chameleonic gimmick so prominently in a precap you kind of ruin the twist.

    A bit like saying there's a wedding in 'The Wedding of River Song', or putting 'Dalek' in the title of a serial and than pouting because we figured out Daleks were the main antagonists in the serial.

    On the plus side, we got spiffy!tuxedo!Doctor.

    GOOD GOD. NOW THEY'RE TELLING US ALL ABOUT THE SILENTS/SILENCE (?) - do we ever figure out which it is? - BEING THE MYTH ARC OF THE SEASON. WE. ARE. NOT. THICK. DON'T TREAT US AS IF WE ARE.

    Am I the only one annoyed by this bludgeoning we're receiving? You couldn't be more blatant unless you stuck the plot synopsis up on scre - ohwaityoujustdidthat.

    Hey. After the obvious cue for the intro theme we just get a title card about it being London, April 2011.

    Dude. Hot air balloon and the Gherkin? Steam train.

    HOT AIR BALLOON CARS AND A WEB OF TRAIN TRACKS IN THE SKY! What is this place?!

    PTERODACTYLS!!!!! Is this foreshadowing 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! Why are there dinosaurs in London 2011? Don't they eat meat? Apparently pterodactyls are the new pigeons.

    This is just endless reaction shots of me seeing anachronistic stuff! ROMANS! INNA CHARIOT! I think I've been on that street actually.

    WHAT. LONDINIUM COTIDE?! I know that! That's Latin for 'London Daily' - that's a real newspaper. But that's okay, the reason I hit the pause button was because the headline is WAR OF THE ROSES ENTERS SECOND YEAR!!!!!!

    Why is the C15th in the C21st? And why is this more concerning than anything else so far? Because the WotR was several conflicts over the course of about thirty years. I studied this! It's funny because it's an old famous war still going on, but it vexes me because it's very wrong at the same time. It's actually the WARS of the Roses. Multiple conflicts people.

    Hello Callow!Dickens from 'The Unquiet Dead'! C!D: "All I can say now is that it involves ghosts from the past, the present and the future all at the same time." HELLO META-COMMENTARY.

    Random American Newsreader: "Crowds lined the Mall today as the Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill returned to the Buckingham Senate on his personal mammoth."

    Help! SPQR on the Palace. HRE?! But I can't recall a British monarch ever being HRE! What I am doing even history with the comparing alternate to reality real history?! Even words wrong!

    Also, that one line that lady has? So awesome.

    Gaul?

    Whut.

    I don't even.

    Silurian Doctor. What.

    Don't make this all be reaction shots because it will be.

    TOGAS. SO many bedsheets, so little time.

    YOU CAN'T CALL THE HRE CAESAR AS WELL AS THE HRE! MAKE UP YOUR MIND! I KNOW TECHNICALLY THEY'RE ALMOST THE SAME THING, BUT HISTORICAL CONNOTATIONS ARE CONNOTATIONS NONETHELESS. THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

    WC: "It's always two minutes past five. [...] It's always two minutes past five in the afternoon. Why is that?" I'm pretty sure there was some work of fiction that joked about stopping all of Britain at tea time to permanently freeze the country into indecision and unending tea. That's what I'm reminded of.

    S!D: "Because that is the time." This SIlurian doesn't really seem to care that time and space has gone tits up, but Churchill does, so he summons his Soothsayer from the Tower. Is the Soothsayer a man from Gaul called Prolix perchance?

    Alas no, it's the Doctor. In shackles. Hot. Oh, beard. Never mind then.

    Oh, there was some stuff about tying in the creepy nursery rhyme to time happening all at once and Churchill not getting it, so the Doctor has to re-explain in terms the HRE understands. WC: "What has happened to time?"

    D: "A woman." Okay. I know this is true and nice and accurate and things, but I'm sorry, the only way this comes off is in varying degrees of misogyny. Also it's clearly a lie because the Doctor knows a Tesselator so it's a man's fault he let time collapse. Or something. I blame Smith's tone. Sounds really familiar to Chi-Fu's in Mulan.

    Theme tune time. Still cool. Moffat's the writer. Things are looking good. Confusing.

    Even more so we're "Earlier" whatever, wherever and whenever that means. And the Dorktor's narrating about how it would feel dying alone and in pain far from anyway etc. Dude, you've died at least eleven times now, you don't need to imagine it. Wow. Depressing.

    In a stetson.

    Also he's talking to a robot.

    Also he just called himself "the devil himself". And I think he's talking to the Tesselaltor? No, a Dalek because eystalk? Maybe?

    D: "Hello Dalek!" Hello Dalek!

    Dalek: *freaks out*

    The Dorktor . . . decapitated a Dalek. Well that's dark. And then he . . . kills it? Or at least tortures it to get "everything [he] need[s] to know about the Silence" from it. So from the fun and quirky to torture.

    The Docks of Callisto B? I am very lost. WAS THAT A REAL EYE IN THE EYE STALK?! Hah! The Doctor's reading Knitting For Girls! Doesn't Brian read that in My Parents Are Aliens?

    Oh, and that eyepatch dude was an envoy for the Silence. He looks very girly. Oh, and it's actually the Tesselctor thing.

    D: *sums up the Tesselector* "Never get bored by that." True. And the Dorktor wants to find out the Silence's weakest link. It's apparently some big-nosed pirate-type playing electro-chess. In the future - or something - chess is Big News, and that was a terrible pun, but I can't help but smile.

    Okay, so this take place post-'Hitler' but simultaneously pre-'Impossible'. Eyepatch will die either way, but Dorktor wants info anyway. Dorium? The blue guy?

    Okay. He's dead and not. Oh no, the Headless monks collect heads. AND THEY'RE ALIVE! And boxes preserve flesh now. So he bought his own stasis box? (And the pirate is eaten alive by a pit full of skulls. Who then hiss at the Dorktor.

    HELLO NIGHTMARE FUEL!)

    Now we're in the present. THis is a flashback episode. And if you know the Dorktor you gain Time-Sense. Well, it's happened before.

    Sorry, still sounding misgynistic when you call River (or Madame Kovarian) "Hell [long pause] in high heels." Moffatt, why the misogyny?

    Now in the box time. Wifi in your head? Cool.

    The Silence "don't want [the Doctor] to remain alive" because his future his dangerous. Talky talky, Fall of the Eleventh (bit too meta for me to be honest) "a question will be asked that must never ever be answered".

    Okay, that prophecy foretells the end of the religious order known as the Silence. So this whole one (or two? I've heard whispers) season arc is a bunch of selfish religious types out to - well. It's just one massive joke isn't it.

    D: "The oldest quesiton in the universe, the one hidden in plain site, would you like to know what it is? [...] Then on your own head be it." Now we're in the TARDIS. This episode is a tease.

    Churchill has a gun now. Basically, because the Doctor is the only one who knows the answer, he's going to die. Or now silence means 'not speaking'.

    Oh dear. GUns and a change of location. AND A MARK. HELLO SILENTS.

    Too many flashbacks. Hehe. Upside down Dorium. Lake Silencio is a still point in time, making it easier to make a fixed point in time.

    Oh God. He's - screw ROSE TYLER. But please literally screw Captain Jack Harkness.

    In-universe acknowledgement about the death of the Brig. *sheds a tear* No fair. No fair at all.

    - running from his death. Boo hoo hoo. Face it like a man who can regenerate. Nine was fine to die. Man it up.

    And the Tessleator delivers the messages. So it was the Tesselator in 'The Impossible Astronaut'. They did essentially just beg to be the Dorktor to fake his death. N'aaaawwwww, cuteness about the Ponds being "the best. My friends have always been the best."

    MORE MARKS!

    More flashbacks. So that is the Tesselator!Dorktor? River doesn't really fit that suit does she? Makes her look a bit stupid. Whut. TIme streams are being crossed. And the Dorktor's - what.

    God Matt Smith has beautiful hair doesn't he? I want to stroke it.

    Oh River you cow. She just ballsed up time because twu wuv. So she rejected the obvious -

    Oh, hello Silents, we know you're there because weapons. Just look up. Like last - o screw me sideways they look like the Gentlemen.

    RORY! Eyedrives? POND! AMELIA POND. Amy! Sexy inna suit. I want to play with her hair too. And she shot the Dorktor in the face with a stun bullet.

    Damn Amy you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind hey Amy!

    Also, they're going to Cairo.

    Also, I think Amy already knows Dorktor. Look at what you're holding. I love Amy. So badass she can bend time and the universe to her will whenever she wants.

    And she has his suit! Oh my. Longer haired Dorktor. Stroke. Stroke.

    D: "You've got an office on a train. That is so cool." N'aaaawwww. Friendship ship!

    That's not Rory. She remembers him, but not his face?

    Amy remembers two versions of the same thing.

    D: "TIme isn't just froen, it's disintegrating. It will spread and it will spread until reality falls apart." I've only seen bits of the season five finale, but didn't that happen then too?

    RORY IN UNIFORM DO WANT. SHE DOESN'T KNOW HIM. WHY?! D: "Amy, you'll find your Rory, always. You just have to look." Yes! The universe ships Amy/Rory!

    There's a steam train sailing into one of The Pyramids, said pyramids belong to Area 52. And those eye patches store information on them and show them stuff about the Silence.

    I think those suits are their skin . . . hello Slender Man.

    Look at the Dorktor endlessly shipping Rory/Amy even in the midst of the end of reality. Literally. D: "Your boss, you should ask her out. She likes you she said so."

    River's leading the resistance, and Kovarian's a prisoner.

    K: "Oh, they're flirting, do I have to watch this?" Yeah . . . I agree.

    Also, I just finished watching an LP of To the Moon, so sobs. ENDLESS SOBS.

    So the Doctor and River touching moves time forwards and restart time. So Amy and Rory are working for their daughter.

    Oh, and the creepy Silents? Are creepy and breaking free from their watery cells of doom. Or possibly making the Pyramids spring a leak.

    Why's it raining in Egypt?

    Then there's some flirting/lampshading of WMGs. Oh, and the Silents were only waiting for the Doctor to arrive.

    Cue mass electro-death and Rory continuing to be a badass!

    Oh, and the eydrives? Are actually murderpatches of electro-death! Cool. Also, Dorktor, you could just grab hold of River right now and hug her until you reboot time. Well, lean on her.

    Oh, and in an obvious twist Mme. Kovarian is dead-by-electro-death-murder-patch.


    RORY'S DOING A SACRIFICE -

    AND HIS EYEPATCH HAS ACTIVATED! *dies a little inside*

    Rory you neverending badass1 Your badassery is a universal constant!

    S: "Rory Williams: the man who dies again and again [...] she will never come back for you."

    SHE DID!

    The SIlents are liars!

    And Amy's a cold-stone killer who - Mme. K. has only one eye. - lputs the murder-patch on to kill Mme. Kovarian.

    River built a distress beacon to everywhen everywhere asking for help to save the Doctor. Weren't there all those distress calls last season?

    D: "You embarrass me!"

    And the sun spots I ignored? People saying they'll help. R: "Did you think when your time came, you had to do more than just ask?"

    R: "I can't let you die. Without knowing you are loved so much [...] and by no one more than me." I OBJECT!

    Wow. Bitch. River's willing to sacrifice every living thing in the universe for her love.

    -

    Handfasting of marriage? With the bowtie. Does this technically count as a shotgun wedding because the universe is ending again. Also, I bet it wasn't the Dorktor's name he told her.

    I can't get over the Doctor's long hair. I WANT TO TOUCH IT.

    And a kiss end/saves the universe. Screw that nursery rhyme!

    Hi Amy! And River came avisiting. Literally just after the Byzantium. So . . . I - time! River's timeline is too much for me right now, so you know what? I don't care. My migraine's bad enough as it is.

    And River just called Amy "mother". Small warm fuzzies. See? Rule one: the Doctor lies.

    And so does River. All the time.

    R: "He's always one step ahead of everyone. There's always a plan." And then Rory! Hi Rory! Seems they've just found out the Doctor's alive.

    And now I . . . I think this is - nope. No idea. Yeah, the Doctor realised at the last second that a robot that exists to fake people's deaths is good for faking deaths.

    That is cool even if it was revealed by the Previously On trailer.

    And then he implied he had sex with River. Do not want.

    Oh, and the Fields of Trenselor etc. are still to come. And the question hidden in plain sight? DOCTOR. WHO? DOCTOR WHO. DOC. TOR. WHO.

    Scream Out!

    Preview Thoughts: None.

    Best Moment: Rory the eternal badass.

    Worst Moment: River's more than a bit selfish. Didn't like her forcing him into marriage. I call one-sided love.

    Best Actor: Ehm. Amy and Rory. So good in their new relationship, and the acting Rory does. Excuse me while I go fangirl over Rory's badassery ebing such a universal constant.

    Worst Actor: Kovarian. Most unimpressive gloating prisoner-who-is-not ever.

    Best Special Effect: Timey-wimy Earth! Moreso London the Giza because the Pyramids looked a little too fakey.

    Worst Special Effect: Head inna box. Rly?

    Most Punchable Character: River. Yeah, I love you so much I'm going to sacrifice all of reality just so you know I love you so much.

    Death Count: Kind of zero, but also kind of everyone in human history too.

    Kink of the Episode: Amy and Rory are MiB. Also long hair!Doctor.

    Overall thoughts?
    Eh.
    Conflict?
    I loved timey-wimey earth, and I loved the Ponds MiB and their badassery, the foreshadowing for certain events was well-thought and laid out throughout the entire series.
    The effects were overall decent if a bit too CGI-reliant and obvious at the Pyramids.
    River was just. I like River, but I'm not sure I do any more. Selfish much?
    And the way this episode was told was jarring frankly. The cuts between present and past could have been a lot smoother and narratively I felt yanked around, which is not a good thing when attmpting to tell a coherent story.
    So the end was kind of fail, but the rest was actually pretty good.
    Like I said: conflict.

    Also, and I know this is stupid considering Buckingham Palace is now a Senate like in Republican and early Imperial Roman and you can ride mammoths to work; but if Britain is ruled by the HRE how can the Wars of the Roses still be happening? They were a Thing between two noble houses who had valid claims to the throne (both being descended from Edward III, although Lancaster was from the third son and York the fourth) and their allies. If there was a HRE around he would have had precendence.
    Unless the Emperor came about later, but I doubt that as the hey day of the HRE was the C15th and eC16[sup]th[/cup] meaning that -
    See, there I go again. Transplanting real history onto what is canonically Screwed Up Time and Space.
    But the history dork in me protests!


    'Asylum of the Daleks' (season 7a, ep. 1)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to another season opener written by our Moffat. Good times await. Even if my migraines from the illness have returned.

    Oooh, David Bowie music in the adverts for . . . Strictly Come Dancing. Meh. *sways while colour lights up your face, swaying through the crowds to an empty space 'cause my love for you would break my heart in two*

    On with the show!
    DALEK MYTHOLOGY WITH A GIANT STNE STATUE OF A DALEK. Who is Hannah? And why is she -

    hello kinky boots.

    Who is the Dorktor talking to? Ah. Hannah's mum. The girl's in a Dalek prison camp? But you just said he was dead.

    SKARO!

    YOU BLEW IT UP WHEN YOU WERE SEVEN! I SAW YOU DO IT!

    How did Hannah's mum escape? Zombie mother? D: "It's a trap. [///] you are and"

    WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!

    Sexy Amy doing photography stuff. ENDORSED!

    WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE A HUSBAND! NO DIVORCE. NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    THEY DIVORCED.

    WHAT?!

    *dies*

    I DIED.

    WHAT.

    BUT. NO SINKING OF MY SHIP.

    Ewww. Another human-Dalek. OH MY GOD THIS IS THE SEASON THREE DALEK SERIAL DONE RIGHT AND VERY SCARILY TOO.

    And then we're in the hospital from 'The Girl Who Waited'. Which is actually on a Dalek space ship in the middle of a Dalek fleet.

    R: "How much trouble are we in?"

    D: 2Out of ten? Eleven." *dies* So punny and lame it circles right around to it again.

    Oh wow. This serial is worth that one shot.

    Hell what. THE PARLIAMENT OF THE DALEKS?! Daleks and Parliament does
    not mix.

    Also, is that - what.

    Dalek: SAVE. US. YOU WILL SAVE US. YOU WILL SAVE THE DALEKS.

    Well, this is new.

    Yes Dorktor, I just said that.

    Speaking of new, I think the intro theme took extra amounts of LSD before upping the colour saturation because I just turned my retinas out.

    The Big Brother house? Or . . . what. Hello Hannah. How can she block out - *giggles* - she's blocking out the Daleks with a few

    Hannah's mum is a dominatrix. Also Amy Sherlock-scanned the Dorktor.

    THE PRIME MINISTER OF THE DALEKS. This will never be not funny. So . . . what happened to Davros?

    "According to legend you have a dumping ground where you lock up the Daleks [...] you can't even control." They think it offensive to destroy such "divine hatred". They think hatred is beautiful. THis sickens the Dorktor. I'm still surprised they understand beauty.

    Oh, and there are millions of insane Daleks on the planet.

    And that's from Carmen. Where the Dorktor apparently played in triangle.

    So what's Oswin Oswald - isn't that a boy's name? - she crashed. And is just chillin' out making souffles.

    D: "Where'd you get the milk?" *dies*

    So . . . the Dorktor and the 'good Daleks' must ally to destroy the insane Daleks. BEST. ENEMY. MINE. SITUATION. EVER. EVER. Also, this means all the Daleks in existance ca

    - the Dalek's name for the Daleks is the Oncoming Storm not . . . [random Klingon Word].

    And Rory just snarked at the Dorktor because the Dalek's plan for them is basically what the Dorktor does anyway.

    Daleks and snow. And transporter beams. I think they filmed this in the Alps.

    Oh, and there's a dude. A dude on the surface of a planet of insane Daleks who isn't dead.

    Is that a Dalek in the snow? Doing that submariney thing? Oh, it's Souffle Girl. She's hacking Dalek technology. Why am I thinking Souffle Girl is actually a Dalek?

    BECAUSE SHE IS.

    Does this mean all the humans are Daleks then? I SAY YES. And typical Rory. He fell into a massive hole to the centre of Dalek-ville.

    He's not dead yet though. Because the Daleks are asleep? Or deactivated?

    I STILL HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN THIS DIVORCE YOU KNOW, AND I DO NOT WANT.

    Is that a season one Dalek there?

    Okay. Souffle Girl says she's been there a year, yet this Other Dude from the same ship says he's been there a day or so. Also, I think he's insane because he's not realised the other crew's all dead.

    And have been for a good year it seems.

    SOMEONE HERE'S A DALEK AND I WAS RIGHT ABOUT HUMAN!DALEKS. CALLED IT!

    Also the Dorktor just beat a Dalek with a fire extinguisher.

    Oh that's gross. The atmosphere of the planet turns all flesh into human!Daleks. Well, paranoia fuel much.

    NOWAIT. ZOMBIE!DALEKS IN THE SNOW! ZOMBIE!SPACE!NAZIS IN THE SNOW! It's Dead Snow in space!

    I think Souffle Girl just flirted with the Dorktor and he responded even though he's technically sort-of dead.

    Ha! The Dorktor still ships Rory/Amy even in the face of real life. Take this badge of join the good ship Ponds!

    Oh. And Amy's going to turn into an Amy!Dalek. Sads.

    Meanwhile in Loner-ville: definitely season one Daleks. Rory manhandles them. And they're awake now.

    R: "Ssshhh" it? Perhaps?

    *giggles*

    Rory's doing charades with the Daleks. And doesn't get that they're saying EXTERMINATE! At least until they said so.

    That is rather scary.

    One Rory against an entire planet of Daleks and he's doing fairly well. Even with Souffle Girl being a possibly benign GLADoS type. So Rory is Chell, and the Daleks are turrets.

    Where's the cake?

    I think we can safely conclude Rory is screwed. And is scared enough to ask Souffle Girl to flirt with him because he knows it.

    Oy. This is 'The Empty Child' two-parter with Daleks! Mixed with Portal.

    There are worse things.

    SG: "Pop your shirt off as quick as you like."

    R: "Why?"

    SG: "Does there have to be a reason?"

    Nope!

    Also, Amy's doing the same thing she did in 'Time of the Angels'/'Flesh and Stone'. Except this time she's - hallucinating some trippy stuff.

    Oooh, ballerina!Amy. Do want. Except those people are Daleks. Rory woz 'ere.

    Why's that Dalek broken? It's . . . stalled. Oh, the Dorktor is called the Predator now.

    D: "A Dalek without a gun, you're useless. That's like a tricycle with a roof." Amazing simile. Also, Daleks can be remotely reversed when self-destructing a asplode a dozen or so Daleks at once. I'm kind of having flashbacks to that Peter Cushing movie now.

    Not a good movie you no.

    Oh. There's where the trailer clip comes from.

    Talk about lying while telling the complete truth.

    OOH! SOUFFLE GIRL IS THE NEW DAVROS!

    SG: "Somebody's a bit too angry."

    A: "Somebody's never been to Scotland." *dies*

    Huh. The milk is a chekov's gun. And I'm loving that the Dorktor ranks the Ponds' marriage only marginally lower than saving the universe by killing insane Daleks.

    SPEAKING OF INSANE DALEKS: I WANT MY SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK NOW.

    SG is definitely Davros. Why else is she stuck in a pod thingy? The Dorktor obviously knows this too, so why's he co-operating with her?

    I mean, aside from the Amy thing. And the everything else.

    Daleks: "they [subtract] love. Don't let them." Cool.

    Cue marriage!angst! Oh Rory!!

    R: "It'll take longer [to convert me] because [...] the basic fact about our marriage is that I love you more than you love me."

    D:

    D,:

    Also it's a lie.

    And Amy can't give Rory kids!

    Excuse me while I go cry in a corner because Amy gave Rory up so Rory can have children.

    ;_;

    Oh, except the Dorktor already gave Amy his thingy so this just cleared the air between them, and I bet the Dorktor can be converted.

    Oooh! Dalek ICU. S

    Survivors of Spiridon, Caridian, - DALEKS WHO SURVIVED THE TIME WAR! OR THE DORKTOR IN PARTICULAR!

    Comatose Daleks woke up to kill the person who hurt them!

    I bet Davros did that on purpose.

    SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK!!!!!!!!!

    :D

    Did the Dorktor just say the f-word? I swear he did.

    SG: "Tell me I'm cool Jim-boy." Okaaaaaay . . . maybe she's the Master? Nah, definitely Davros.

    Because she did something the Dorktor couldn't.

    Huh. SG's dreaming.

    CALLED IT! SHE WAS A DALEK! But to be honest it was pretty obvious. D: "They didn't just make you a puppet. They did a full conversion. Oswin, I am so sorry, but you are a Dalek."

    Well. Excuse me while I go curl in a corner and cry because I saw a girl my age(ish) get forcibly mind-raped into a Dalek. Completely.

    Wait. But in 'Dalek' it committed suicide being marginally comtaminated by human DNA. Eh. Special exception I guess.

    And the Daleks are so strong because they are afraid of the Dorktor.

    Awwww. THat's so sweet, a human!Dalek saved the Dorktor's life.

    Oh, and the Ponds are back together again. Snogging on a transmat pad while a prison full of Daleks blows up literally around them. So intense is this kiss they don't even notice the Dorktor so he has to transport them himself.

    DALEK SUPREME!

    D: "SUCKERS!" He transported into the TARDIS.

    Daleks: "Doctor Who?" SG . . . made all the Daleks forget who the Doctor was! MY BRAIN!

    Did Moffat just reboot Dalek-Doctor hostility universe wide?!

    MY BRAIN.

    Scream Out!

    Preview Thoughts: RORY'S DAD! Indiana Jones, Nefertiti of Egypt! DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP WITH RORY'S DAD!

    Best Moment: Errrm. DOC. TOR. WHO. Because of the potential for yet another reboot in the Who-verse, and because that was really awesome of SG to do!
    Also, the way Rory and Amy revealed why they 'wanted' divorce. It was emotionally moving! And character driven! And this is Curly here and Curly loves character!

    Worst Moment: The initial revelation about the Ponds' divorce. because these two deserve to be together forever and should never ever be split up.

    Best Actor: Rory. Obviously.

    Worst Actor: Black human!Dalek. He was good, but not as good as the rest.

    Best Special Effect: Those human!Daleks were awesome. Especially zombie!Daleks. I can't believe there were zombie!Daleks! I never imagined it would ever be possible to write that.
    Second place to the parliament of the Daleks.

    Worst Special Effect: The transporter beams were a bit . . . well, let's just say that I think the Star Trek beams were better in many ways. Even the TOS beams.

    Most Punchable Character: SG. I do like her, but I also would secretly want to hit her if I knew her in real life.

    Death Count: millions of Daleks

    Kink of the Episode: Amy. Duh.

    Overall thoughts?
    Since when did Daleks pull a Cyberman and convert humans into Daleks? With nanogenes from Chulu 'warships'.
    Oddly enough, I don't really care because you know what, it was very terrifying, and lets a lovely thought creepy slowly up on you: if a Dalek looks like a human, who's to say my sibling isn't one? Or my parents? Or anyone I know.
    The Daleks were really and truly scary! Points! I haven't felt honestly scared of Daleks since at least 'Dalek', and most likely ever really.

    I'm cutting this short because my head hurts so much I think I'm going to vomit.
    The plot 'twist' was very obvious, but I think the emphasis here was on SG actually discovering that for herself as I'm positive that Rory knew SG was a Dalek along with the Dorktor. SG was a very, very good actress.
    Albeit annoying, but I think that was intended? And honestly, a year of going insane holding out against the invading Daleks gives her some leeway in the sanity department.
    The special effects were honestly excellent and there really was a wonderful contrast between the space and looming expanse of the Parliament (will. never. get over. this) and the claustrophobic corridors of the asylum.

    I was dreading this story as a season opener, but this was good. While I do think the Ponds' marital issue was resolved a little too quickly, and there were some remixes from previous Moffat episodes, I think it was done in an innovative fashion, overall this was fun with a good threat involved.
    And while it was obvious, I still found the reveal about SG was still gutwrenching because of how they did it.

    (Oh, and I'm pretty sure Skaro was destroyed properly during the TIme War? Ugh. Timey wimey, reboot the universe every other year stuff.)

    Oh hey. This means there was a Dalek Companion. Awesome.

    Don't know how I feel about the Dalek's forgetting the Doctor, their relationship is one of the defining things about them, but my fingers are crossed hoping it was just that specific ship of Daleks.
    Look! I can dream!
    Maybe he'll just earn their enmity again.
    OR THEY'LL READ A BOOK!

    Now if you don't mind, I've got to go shop as I'm almost out of EGGS.

    oi
    DOC. TOR. WHO. indeed Dorium!!!!!


    EXTRA OI:

    ASWIN WAS JENNA-LOUISE COLEMAN! JENNA-LOUISE COLEMAN IS THE NEXT COMPANION

    brb fainting from awesome
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2012-09-01 at 06:46 PM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

    Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd agree that has ever been the case...
    I mean, I love the Daleks, but there's always been something I considered a better episode, even when they weren't suffering from villain decay.
    It has been for me.

    Without exception, because the Daleks are by far the best bit of Doctor Who, and I've always thought that.

    I still giggle excitedly about Victory of the Daleks (and that Daleks verses Cybermen trash-talk) years after the events...!



    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Guys, hate to pour water on the excited discussion about the New Companion, but:
    Dammit.

    (Her wiki entry suggested otherwise, but, it is, at the end of the day, wiki and therefore not always reliable about new and in motion things.).

    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    Apparently Jenna's debut was meant to be a secret, so I think they are meant to be the same character
    But then...

    Wha...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, given the secrecy surrounding Jenna Louise Coleman's recruitment, I wouldn't put it past Moffat to have lied about what the companion's name is. It is, after all, what I would do in his position. Heck, even with the information we have at the moment, we can't entirely be sure whether she will be or not, so if they don't outright confirm it, all they have to is not confirm or deny it and we still won't be sure until we see her again. Clever, very clever!


    I think I'm getting speculatory whiplash.

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum
    Spoiler
    Show

    Not only do I not remember the TARDIS being aboard the Dalek spaceship when they were sent down to the planet, I have to ask why the Daleks brought it aboard anyway--they were clearly intending to send the Doctor on a one-way trip, so they could have just left it on Skaro.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naah, it was there at the start, you can see it in one of the establishing shots when they were first brought on board (I took special note of it and went, "they really did the job, didn't they?") Though, yeah, why they brought it onboard is another question. On the other plunger, last TARDIS in existance, with the Doctor out of the way...?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-01 at 03:16 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Wait.

    Why the hell did no one tell me a new episode was on? Shame on you, thread. Now I will have to... borrow... it. From.... friends.
    Extended Brewer's signature

    Strange is the night where black stars rise,
    And strange moons circle through the skies,
    But stranger still is
    Lost Carcosa.


    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I want more mwa-ha-haaa and much less boo-hoo-hoo.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Starscream's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elyria, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Just saw it. Like it a lot.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The Amy/Rory thing seemed a little tacked on, since we never saw any indication of it before, and since they are back together by the end we will probably never see anything of it again. So it sort of came out of nowhere and went nowhere. But I liked the resolution, and the Doctor's clever way of fixing it. Nothing is ever pointless if it allows the Doctor a chance to do something awesome!

    Liked Oswin. Figured out what her deal was about halfway through, but not entirely. I knew she'd turn out to be a dalek, but I figured she had always been one and just thought she was human. This is, after all, a place full of insane daleks. Delusions of humanity sound like the sort of thing a crazy dalek might suffer from. Her sacrifice was cool, and making the daleks forget the Doctor is hilarious.

    The daleks themselves were genuinely creepy, which is always welcome. I usually find them a lot scarier when there aren't many of them. It the whole "Conservation of ninjitsu" trope in effect; one dalek is a massive threat, but an army is theoretically such a huge threat that the universe is doomed, which means there must be a magic fix it button somewhere. But these ones were genuinely a little freaky, since they were insane and haywire enough that you aren't sure just WHAT they are capable of.

    The "Doctor Who" thing made me smile. It's pretty amusing, but considering what we leaned at the end of The Wedding of River Song, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back in a big way by season's end.


    Overall, great start for the new series, has me jazzed for more.
    9/10
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    On the subject of



    Spoiler
    Show
    I know this kind of logic doesn't always applies in the Dr Who universe, but my idea was that the Doctor would eventually get her to travel with him earlier in her timeline, so she would never have crashed into the Asylum and the whole thing would never have happened... but that's just my baseless speculation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please No, Not River all over again, Doctor should save her. That's what Christmas ep can be about


    New point
    Spoiler
    Show
    Plot hole: How did they get all the gold Daleks in the Parliament? I thought the gold brand was wiped out.

    Also, See you got every Dalek ever in your ep, Why don't you put them somewhere that's too dark to see them fully? Nice.


    Thufir
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's selfish because Rory and Amy still loved each other. And I think Amy's being stupid. Did Ellie kick Carl out (Up reference)? No!

    As per your marks on my needing of citation, I got them off DWM and Radio Times again. Moffat has never directly insulted Davis, but he has said that "he" made Doctor Who an event, implying Davis didn't. He said he "rescued" the ood from "the past", Davis's past. And he said that he would make Dr Who "better than ever", Better than Davis


    Aorts Commander
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks. I keep them maxxed. I wasn't sure it was JLC either but I waited for credits.


    Factotum
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's Clara Oswin!!! I said this. Plus, with JLC being announced so big in papers and in DWM. Plus, you failed your spot check. The TARDIS was on board the ship.

    Furthermore, the proposal that JLC is playing a different Oswin to the one she assumes in the Christmas special is weakened by a) JLC not being mentioned or shown in trailers or early cast lists, b) Being within 3 months of appearance and c) Moffat said she would be a unique companion. Two Oswin’s played by the same actress would be similar to Martha, whose actress played a woman brainwashed by the Cybermen in “Army of Ghosts”. This was lampshaded as being her cousin. Now, this would cheapen the awesomeness of a Dalek companion.



    Eldan
    I distinctly remember you saying you didn’t care about Dr Who after the Christmas episode.

    To all,
    I am so impressed with this ep. So impressed that, if Stephen's next 2 episodes turn out to be 8/10 or above in my reviews, I will not only forgive him for all of Season 6 (which was one of the main reasons I joined by the way) but I will also review something of the communities choice.. If it is from classic who I will need some way to track it down and it will be in the normal style (although, if it is a one part episode I will consider doing it Curly-style if that is what the community wants.) Now that's a thought. And it gives me an idea..........
    We're all in the Monster Manual somewhere. My entry is between Howler and Hydra.

    Unresolved Plot Point Collection Thread- For OOTS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    It's nice to see someone saying it isn't for once, the forum IQ did just go up. Please have a cookie Sunken Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    I thought Sunken Valley eloquently covered the points I wanted to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •