New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

At last... dry land.

The voyage here was unpleasant in spite of being uneventful. The lack of pirate activity only added to the captain's edginess, like a man who's head is at the guillotine but the blade just wouldn't fall, and he seemed no less agitated by the fact that he had offered to take you on, free of charge, for the benefit of extra swords in case pirates did attack.

Neverwinter Port is always a welcome site, regardless, and especially so now as you step away from the surly captain barking his final orders to his crew before they can enjoy some well earned shore leave. The sun is low in the sky, fading into the west, and cascading its brilliance onto the coastal waters. The gulls dance upon the wind, searching for scraps from the fishing boats. The briny air carries with it the smells of commerce like a waiter serving a prized dish. Aromas of exotic spices, strong ales, matured wines and incense mingle and writhe in the air about you. The bustle of dockworkers and merchants adds an oddly welcome clamor to the sounds and sights of the place, which stand in such stark contrast to the uncharacteristic placidity of the voyage here. Neverwinter is known for it's scenic landscapes, unparalleled architecture, and massive market district with a dizzying array of finely crafted furnishings, luxurious jewelry and silks, powerful dwarven and elvish weapons and arms, gnome-crafted items of alchemy, magic and wonder, and monolithic temples and towers of arcane and divine discipline.

But of course, you didn't just come here as a tourist, shopper, or merchant. Neverwinter is bursting with opportunity for the adventurer who wold seek it. Merchant caravans will be taking The Highroad north to Luskan as well as south to mighty Waterdeep to finish the last leg of their journey and will be requesting the aid of worthy swords to protect their valuables, and their hides. The Strikers, a new band of mercenaries who hunt goblins, orcs, kobolds, and other scum hiding in the cracks of the earth, are now recruiting brave young adventurers looking for a way to cut their teeth under the wise tutelage of Shimmer, a local celebrity in Neverwinter, and highly respected Ranger throughout the northwest. The Strikers hold a recruitment booth near the eastern gates of Neverwinter. And last but not least, the ever-popular Adventurer's Guild, located just outside the merchant district of Neverwinter, invites brave heroes to come and get easy access to a wide variety of missions and quests, for a fair fee, of course.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

Gwen steps off the ship with the rest of the mercenaries, her blonde hair blowing in the sea breeze and her sparkling blue eyes squinting in the bright light sparkling off the water. She smiles about the pending adventures bringing her hand up to eyes to block the sun. "So guys, where are you all heading?" She says warmly, her nose crinkling as she smiles.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fimble follows Gwen like a boy behind his mother's skirts, more than intimidated by the vastness of Neverwinter. When they first shouted "land" he had been overjoyed, finally able to escape that prison of wood and endless sea. But when the enormous towers and long walls appeared, his heart had sunk.
    "It's so... big. I wouldn't even know where to start walking." His lips almost quiver as his big innocent eyes look over the ragtag group of companions he has befriended over the long voyage, hoping to glean some sense of direction or at least some confidence from their faces.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A tall, thin shadow fell over the gnome paladin as Fanter stepped out off the gangplank, his silver hair clearly recently combed back into its neat ponytail and the sunlight glinting off his spectacles.

"I think we had all better start walking to the nearest inn for a bath and a respectable meal, Master Paladin. We are hardly fit to be out in public after that voyage."

Without even looking back, Fanter stepped to the side and solemnly held out his brightly polished shield flat in one hand like a serving tray. A single delicately folded cloth sat atop it, waiting to dab the sweat from his master's brow.

"Master Arceneau, would you care for me to see if this city has a halfway acceptable bottle of wine to offer? Clean water is certainly refreshing at sea, but now that we're back in civilization ..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

A short, fat shadow fell on Fanter (or at least his ankles) as Felix shown up. He looks a bit greenish.

"Men...uff... this last storm was terrible... what kind of... invented sea travel?..."

He catches his breath and looks around.

"It is not as big as Waterdeep, but I it is nice, I guess. Yes, inn, bath and decent meal, noble idea. You coming miss Gwen?"

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

A man stately strides down the gangplank onto the dock. Like a ravenous dog, his eyes dart about devouring the busy scene. His nose greedily samples the air, starved for some sensation other than brine and fetid sweat. As he comes upon the deck, his condition is immaculate. A neatly trimmed beard, black as midnight, surrounds his mouth and chin. His smooth black clothes hang tightly on his slim frame. His boots sharply strike the sun bleached wood as he approaches the spectacled man. He gracefully grasp the proffered cloth and captures the few stray drops that had formed on his brow.

"Thank you Fanter. " He steals a moment to neatly fold the cloth into a square before placing it back upon the shield, "I'm sure an establishment in the area must cater to travelers seeking reprieve from the potent swill these sailors seem to favor. A fine bottle of wine and perhaps a small meal sounds marvelous, Fanter. Though I have not an idea as to where one could be found."
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-05-26 at 10:59 AM.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah, Neverwinter! What interesting things shall I find here, d'ya think?"

A surprisingly short gnome frogmarches down the gangplank, eyes bright and staring. Terlew ogles the passersby and surroundings, noting the new things and ignoring the old with practised ease.

"Inns, wine - they're so... old. I want to do something different after so long on that ship. Let's do something new!"
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bars and restaurants aren't uncommon throughout tourist-flooded Neverwinter. It's difficult to go anywhere from dock to gate without passing by one. However, the more refined restaurants and taverns can be found in the City Core, as well as the Blacklake District. However, proper attire and decorum must be observed if you wish to seek service in Blacklake. Following the river walk will take you right through the center of town, and at its entrance, conveniently, is a map of the city.

@ Terlew:
    The newest thing in town, and the one the sailors couldn't stop talking about, is The Dragon's Lair, run by a brass half-dragon. It's known for its exhilarating live performances by illusionists, dancers and musicians. The establishment itself is two stories of magical wonder, decorated on the interior by illusions so it changes appearances each day. Prices are a bit steep there, but The Dragon's Lair gets all the best shows.

The map reveals further information about off-the-beaten-path entertainment, including a brothel in the City Core, the Hall of Wonders located in the Cloaktower (also in City Core), and of course, the Neverwinter Zoo, located in the Blacklake District. Zoo hours and Hall of Wonders tours end at sundown, and you can tell that you have about a half an hour of sunlight left. The docks and the City Core feature many shops, stands, and street performers, but it is well known that the docks can be dangerous at night.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix Lynn

"I have nothing against sightseeing my friend, but we could do so tomorrow, getting some rest and, more importantly, meal first. Tomorrow we could look for any adventures you like... both the ones you need pay to attend and the ones that bring some coin are open for us."

He looks at the map for a while

"Hmm, I would prefer an inn in the City Core, what do you think?" he directs his question to everyone close, but after asking it he focuses mostly on Fimble and Gwen.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

10. - Top - End - #10

Gwen absently points her finger to mouth making her thinking face thinking about what course of action she thought they should take. "I think getting some decent food would be pretty good, I am a little sick of jerky." then Gwen's smile widens "But after we get some food we could check out the Dragon's Lair. A little fun never hurt, and I bet the place is fun at night. Then we could stumble back to our rooms at the inn." She nods approvingly at her own idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Visual Aid
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Fimble looks around, paranoid and slightly sweaty under his armor.

"I'm with you there, Fanter. And please, just call me Fimble. Or Doublebat. It'll be a long time before anyone will call me a master paladin. Or even Sir Scrimnoodle..." Fimble looks up towards the setting sun.
    "Someday, eh? But really, Doublebat will do. Or Fimble. Or Scrimnoodle. A combination of them will also be fine."

Fimble suddenly notices that Felix has walked over to the entrance to the main city, and hurries after the stocky halfling.

"The City core does sound like the most sensible thing. I've heard nasty things about the docks, and I wouldn't care to stand around here and wait for sundown."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix nods briefly.
    "Good, lets find an inn first and, if we have enough strength afterward, we could check the Dragon's Lair."

He takes a look around, turns back to Gwen and Fimble and says:

" Do you think others are coming too?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Fanter favors Fimble with what could, from a certain angle, be considered a smile.

"If it is all the same to you, Master Scrimnoodle, I prefer to fall back on courtesy."

Replacing the folded cloth in his pack and tucking his shield under one arm, the slender half-elf adjusts his glasses and gestures for Oscar to go in front of him.

"Courtesy at all times, isn't that right, sir? Let's get everyone settled in a decent inn and then I'll see what Neverwinter has to offer that I can be satisfied to set in front of you."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar flashes a quick smile and small nod, "Absolutely." He then ensures everyone is ready to depart before walking at a comfortable pace into the heart of the city.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

15. - Top - End - #15

"But of course." Gwen says putting her arm around the nearest of her companion's shoulder (Nearest and not her half her height). "I already know you guys are swell so accompanying you would be beneficial. A new place like this can be dangerous someone without friends." She takes her arm off of whoever and steps in front of the group towards the center of the city and with a wide sweeping gesture of arm she points off to the city and says energetically "Let us go!"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Evening does little to slow the excitement of Neverwinter. In fact, it only seems to enflame it. The closer you get to City Core, the more the sights and sounds begin to tantalize. Jugglers and sorcerers perform for pocket change, vendors shout out "FRESH FISH!" "CUSTOM JEWELRY!" or other brief summaries of their wares. The crowd spins and flows in a hurricane frenzy, trying to get the last bit of good shopping done before sunset. Eventually, you find some hotels:

1. A Quiet Knight Inn
    2. The Mug and Platter
    3. Matilda's Bed and Breakfast
    4. The Dweller on the Horizon Inn and Temple
    5. The House of Bliss

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Spot checks, please.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A loud thump follows the sound of the heavy dwarf jumping onto the docks, grinning at the sight of land. "Thank all the Dwarven Gods we're finally back on land! I need an ale, some dirt under my feet, and something fresh baked." He laughs heartilly, following the others in search of an inn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20)[2]
    If I can, Listen check: (1d20+2)[21]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quite a wide offer, I would say. Lets see...

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+7)[21]

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

19. - Top - End - #19

Fimble observes Fanter with a curious if slightly annoyed expression.
    "Well, I shan't hold it against you, my friend.

He follows the others across the town while browsing the citizens' faces, his own a quick mix of expressions, from curiosity over fear to a mean scowl.

It quickly changes, though, when he adresses his comrades again:
    "Quiet Knight Inn. That sounds nice, no? Nice and quiet."

Spoiler
    Show
    detect evil: several times behind us, and on each of the hotels.

spot check: (1d20+1)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It sounds, quiet, I suppose." Terlew seems visibly disappointed by the thought of a 'nice' quiet time on her first evening in Neverwinter, especially after the drudgery of a sea voyage. "I think I might die if our plan is to have a quiet night..." she grumbles, the beginnings of a dark mood. "Although I could always sneak off to the Dragon's Den..." she muses, already bored by many of the common sights of the city.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-5)[2]
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Uh... Fanter, right? Could you come closer for a second?"

DM
    Spoiler
    Show

Felix keeps his eye on the kid, if he would be afraid that he would loose him, he would shout instead.

Fanter
    Spoiler
    Show

Felix points discreetly on a nearby child. And whispers:
    "See, my friend. This child just snatched Oscar's purse. I guess you two would like to know that..."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As you approach A Quiet Knight Inn, the sign over its door becomes clear:

Spoiler
    Show

The ornate, if a bit weather-beaten, mahogany door swings wide at your approach and a smiling gentlemen dressed in outdated but stately fashion greets you with a bow. Upon entry, you can clearly see the faded glory of this once aristocratic establishment. It is well kept and clean, but it seems to sag a bit with age. The ornate chandelier is alight with silvery faerie fire, and beautiful paintings grace the walls of the main lobby. The main room is lightly populated with well-to-do merchants eating fragrant meals and sipping glasses of wine. An ignored musician plays a sweet tune softly in the corner of the lobby. The chairs are large and plush, and an older, portly gentlemen is snoring in the one next to the fireplace.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #23

Spoiler
    Show
    Before we step into the hotel since I kinda got skipped a touch-
    Spot check
    (1d20+2)[4] Yeah I notice nothing...

Hearing Terlew's disappointment Gwen responds "Don't worry girly, if the men want a quiet night in they can have one." she pauses for a moment to emphasize her idea. "That doesn't mean the ladies need to have one also. Winsome women like ourselves surely can find some hoopla. We can gussy up at the Quiet Knight then head to the Dragon's Lair for some fun and frivolity." Gwen speaks with her hands and goes from gesturing at the men to mimicking gussying up and ends with a point out towards adventure all while walking with the group in a bouncy step.
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2012-05-27 at 05:47 PM.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

After a moment of thinking, just before Fanter closes Felix waves at Gwen and Fimble too. Catching thieves is paladins business, right?

Spoiler
    Show

Felix points discreetly on a nearby child. And whispers:
    "See, my friends. This child just snatched Oscar's purse. I guess you would like to know that..."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

25. - Top - End - #25

Gwen turns her attention to Felix and then the child he is indicating inspecting him and wondering why he would steal a purse. She nods to Felix "Okay, got it." and follows the boy to retrieve the purse.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Fanter sighed as he listened to the news of his master's purse, nodding as Gwen went off to retrieve it.

"Much obliged, mistress. It is perhaps wise for me to sit this one out."

The butler headed over to Oscar to give him the news, and if anyone happened to be listening, they could hear the half-elf counting softly to himself under his breath.

"One ... two ... three ... four ... five ... six ... seven ... that's right, deep breaths ... eight ..."

Coming to attention just behind Oscar, Fanter leaned forward slightly and spoke softly.

"Excuse me, sir, but it's been brought to my attention that I may need to sew you stronger strings for your coin purse. My apologies."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

A rather bustling market...quite unlike my prior residence.. As Oscar confidently strolls through the mahogany doors, he gives a casual glance around the lobby. He pauses a moment to enjoy one of the more interesting pieces. Absorbed in the piece, Oscar failed to notice Fanter's approach until the manservant was directly behind him. Oscar barely turns as he listens to the manservant's report. He turns to face Fanter , and in a grave tone he orders, "Fanter, apprehend this person and bring them to me. I wish to have a discussion with the culprit..Preferably uninjured. Understood?"
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-05-27 at 08:29 PM.
    Character Sheets

28. - Top - End - #28

RedWizardGuy

"Of course, sir."

Fanter turned on his heel and set off after Gwen and the little cutpurse, moving as quickly as he could while still maintaining some semblance of dignity.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The child wanders through the crowded city streets, brushing past a few more wealthy-looking travellers and turns down a path that leads out of the merchant district.

At this point he drops his casual demeanor and starts to look around, moving with a defensive readiness on the tips of his toes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Those that don't wish to be seen may wish to roll hide and move silently checks.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #30

Fimble goes silent and serious, grabs a sap from his belt and follows the young cutpurse, trying to look inconspicuous, without having any illusions of staying quiet in his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Keeping detect evil active, Fimble tries to hone in on the kid and detect his aura, if any.

Bluff to be an inconspicuous pedestrian (1d20+3)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch