New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

"I hope that the Dragon's Lair is all of what we hope it to be." Gwen says imagining what the evening might be like. She absently twists a long stand of hair her eyes looking off in the direction the guard wandered. "And I do hope Terlew is ready, I want to get going and stretch my land legs."
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The guard comes back down to the lobby after a few minutes, shrugging. "She says she's more tired from the trip than she thought she was and won't be coming with you tonight."

He scratches the side of his head and clears his throat. "If there's nothing else I can do for you, then I'll see you out. I'm going to lock the door for the night, so if you want back in, just knock. I'll be right here."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jungian View Post
    "ah a fine choice my lady. Though I'm afraid yours may take few minutes, so please excuse the delay." After starting the tea, he prepares himself a stiff drink before sitting himself across from Sir Grim and Giselda. He takes a few sips, swirling the amber liquid around before saying, " I have come to Neverwinter with the same intent as many of the young men my age have, a desire for fame, esteem, wealth all the delicious human vices." A brief pause follows as Oscar takes a larger sip of his drink. In a matter of voice he says, " The oppurtunities presented here offer a way to obtain all that and more." Another pauses follows as the glass is drained, " As for Fanter, I offered him employment and he was rather thrilled to work for me. His talents were being wasted you see , with me it is a synergetic relationship. Our talents are complimentary, and we have an arrangement that is beneficial for both of us."
    Giselda smiles politely. "That sounds like a lot of excitement. Have you been to the Adventurer's Guild, then?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

4. - Top - End - #124

"That is to bad about Terlew, but let's not wait another minute!" Gwen takes a long stride towards the door triumphantly. "Come one guys."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix looks a bit sad after hearing that Terlew wouldn't come.
    But not for long, when he follows Gwen he already smiles.
    "Yes, lets go!"

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Yes, we'll come back tonight. So if we're not... No, we'll be back tonight."
    Fimble hesitates on the threshold, then turns and hurries after the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

On the Way to the Dragon's Lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the door close and latch (multiple times) behind you as you step out into Neverwinter's streets. The place has quieted down considerably since you were last outside, but a few late night revelers, homeless beggars and young carefree lovers walk the streets in a much more leisurely stroll. In the center of the market square, you see a night watchman lighting the city's lamps. The sky overhead is beautiful, with shimmering winter stars that pierce the darkness like transfixed fireflies. The large, nearly full moon overhead casts a soft reflection off the cobbled streets. And apart from the indecipherable murmuring of passersby, the only sound you hear is music thrumming through the walls of various taverns and dance halls.

(If you wish to interact with anyone in the market square, stop reading now. If you wish to carry on to the Dragon's Lair, keep reading.)

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dragon's Lair is fairly easy to find. Over it's door hangs an intricately designed wood etched drawing of a dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

which periodically spouts a small burst of flame from its mouth.

The building itself is an attraction, designed to look like a castle (though much smaller) with a massive dragon wrapped around it, greeting eager patrons... or daring them to enter (sorry... this one's goofy, but it gives the idea)
    Spoiler
    Show

When you get there, you see that the doors are already open, and the sound of heavy drums and seductive music greets you. Most of the crowd is transfixed on the stage where a beautiful unearthly woman dances what appears to be a wild and savage routine involving high leaps, crouching twirls and nearly impossible contortions of the body. Two male dancers in the background kick and spin to the rhythm, occasionally throwing something to the stage floor that sends a flash and a puff of smoke at each other's feet. The percussionists keep their heads down and wear long hoods as they bang on their large drums, and two flautists perform a sharp duet, which pierces the intermittent silence between drumbeats like a dagger through chain mail.

In the corners of the main room, young men and women sit at small, low tables surrounded by thickly cushioned chairs to talk, laugh and drink exotic beverages from large, fancy cups. Some are playing games with dice or cards, and one group of men cheer on two champions at an arm wrestling competition.

There is an upper floor as well. In the low light, you can't make out details, but you can see the reflection of light off of eyes that peer down onto the stage.

The two bartenders at the back of the main room frantically pour drinks for the clamoring patrons with barely a nod to the customer as money is exchanged. One is a tall, bald, tattooed man with a lean but muscular build and a heavy brow capped with thick eyebrows. The other appears to be a half-elf female with long, auburn hair twisted into multiple braids that are capped with sparkling gemstones. Her pierced face is set in a mask of concentration as she whips bottles around like jugglers' pins, shooting liquor or wine into glass after glass in a frenzied effort to contend with the demand.

Meanwhile, back at Oscar's room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "My father was one of the charter members of the guild, actually." Giselda beams with pride in her eyes.

Grim blushes a bit under his beard, but visibly relaxes some. "That was a long time ago. I haven't even set foot inside their halls in years." He takes another sip of his drink. "This is really good. Witches Brew, you called it?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

8. - Top - End - #128

Gwen's smile widens mischievously as she takes in the sights and sounds and aromas from the bar. Despite the busyness of the bar she decides the first thing she ought to do is get a drink. "Let's get drinks first." She says to the other. "I haven't tried many liquors before, I think I will try some tonight." she thinks aloud, moving towards the bar.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix looks at the dancing woman for a moment ... quite focused on the view and then: "Drinks yes, good idea."

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar's left eyebrow lifts slightly at the news of Grim's involvement with the guild, "Indeed, though I would classify it as a pho-Witchbrew. You see a true Witches Brew requires a newt's eye." Oscar then excuses himself to fetch the whistling kettle of the stove. As the tea cools he prepares himself another beverage. He then prepares a tea with a single slice of lemon for Giselda, and placing it on a small saucer sets it in front of the young lady.

He sits back and sips his drink, "Now Grim I must say a founding member of a guild is an amazing accomplishment. Though I had suspected a more rough and tumble life at some point. Considering your rather muscular build. I absolutely must hear about it."
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

11. - Top - End - #131

Fimble enters the atmospheric place, mouth hanging slightly.
    "Look at that dancer, Felix!" He says superflouosly, Felix's eyes already fixed on her. "That's incredible!"
    Fimble finally manages to take his away from the dancer, long enough to answer Gwen. "Drinks? Oh no, I don't drink. Affects my good judgement, you see. Root beer for me, if they have it." He follows her, walking almost sideways, still looking at the dancer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In Oscar's Room
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a gentle knock at the door, and after waiting a polite moment, it opens and reveals Fanter, tray in hand and with a cloth over his arm. He moves towards the table with the two steaming hot ducks, noting with an almost imperceptible frown that Oscar has had to pour his own drinks.

"Forgive my tardiness, my lady, gentlemen. Dinner is served."

Fanter begins expertly carving the first duck, laying slices of meat on plates and serving them as unobtrusively as possible so as not to stop the conversation.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

At the Dragon's Lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you approach the bar, the music goes suddenly quieter. Looking back, you can see the dancers are still going on stage and the drums are still pounding, but regardless, the music is muted to a dull thrum, and the barking voices of patrons can be clearly heard. The male bartender looks up from his frantic work and nods at Gwen as she approaches. The half-elf glances over to Felix and Fimble and chirps with a smile, "Welcome to the Dragon's Lair! What'll it be?"

A sign above the bar reads:
    Drink Menu
    Shot: 2 cp
    Mug or Glass: 4 cp
    Pitcher: 2 sp
    Bottle: 4 to 12 gp

Specialty Drinks: 5 cp
    Today's Special: Zombie

Food Menu
    Bread & Cheese: 1 sp
    Fruit Bowl: 3 sp
    Meat & Cheese: 5 sp
    Hero's Feast (serves four): 2 gp

In Oscar's Room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grim stands reflexively as the door knocks. Then smiles and bows as Fanter walks in. Giselda follows in suit, with a broad smile on her face.

"It smells delicious," Grim blurts after Fanter opens the covered tray revealing the steaming duck. "Your timing is perfect, actually," says Giselda, "We were just getting to know Master Arceneau here. I've only just gotten my tea."

Grim and Giselda ease back into their seats again as the meal is being prepared. "Anyway, about your inquiry. It's not so amazing, really. In my youth, I served as a knight of Luskan, in what many refer to as the Savage Frontier. We were few in those days, and defenses were always being tested by barbarian and orc raids. Besides, knights are servants of the kingdom... not errand boys and treasure hunters for bored aristocrats who call in favors from the local mayor. Stretched so thin, we had no choice but to outsource much of our responsibilities to adventurers and the Elear paladins. Those were the dark times. Lawlessness and chaos was an infection on the city of Luskan, and the wizards who ruled there in their tower didn't seem overly concerned with our plight. So, we decided it was time to make a change. Several of the knights, myself included, decided to purchase an old storehouse by the docks and turn it into a meeting hall. There, investors could post signs describing the quest, and interested adventurers could accept them. To cover the costs of the storehouse, we kept a small portion of the pay as a sort of finder's fee. It worked out better than we could've imagined. The knights not only covered their expenses but made enough of a profit from their efforts to move the whole operation to the guild hall in Neverwinter, where it is now being run by proper businessmen. Of course, the knights there still receive a small portion of the profits which goes into a fund that helps them purchase supplies and new equipment." Grim smiles broadly as the plate is set before him and takes a deep breath. "Ahh..." he sighs as he stares at the food hungrily.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

14. - Top - End - #134

Not quite sure what to make of the unusual ambience in the hall, Fimble shouts quite loudly back to the bartender: "Do you have anything non-alcoholic? I'm sworn off you see!"

Then he places a hand on Gwen's arm and nods out towards the musicians, still shouting. "Quite the place, eh?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix looks at the offer. They have food! I need to come back here later...
    "Zombie? Where did this name come from?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

As the door opened Fanter walked in Oscar nods his head in approval. Oscar self control was without question, as the enticing aroma begged him to devour the duck. Oscar intently listens to Grim's tale as Fanter serves the meal. Sensing the hunger in his guest's voices, Oscar says, " My friends let us enjoy the delicious fruit of Fanter's labor." He then takes a small bite savouring the delectable meat.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was not sure if the host is supposed to take the first bite, in the event that the meal was poisoned.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In Oscar's Room
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fanter leans down to Grim's side and offers him a sauce made of duck stock and citrus fruit zest, smiling professionally.

"Your initiative is to be admired, sir, to be sure. If it's not too forward of me to ask, how is it possible that the Guild here is getting along without your esteemed self to help them?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *cue crazy French chef accent* Poizoned! HMPH! I have nevar been so inzulted in mah laife.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

In Terlew's Room
    Terlew stirs. A cool evening breeze tingles her nose, and she sneezes, bringing her wide awake, groggily rubbing at her eyes and looking around. Where am I? Oh right, at the inn... Weren't we going to the Dragon's Den this evening? Why was I asleep? She looks outside, and it's quite dark by now. Slowly a memory returns to her, of a knock at the door and her mumbling half-asleep to "Go away... sleeping. Can't disturb my beauty sleep..."

She sits there a moment, before shrieking "Oh, for Cloakshadow's hairy moustache!" She looks down; her nice robe is rumpled and so she curses once again.

A minute later she is out of her room and scrambling two at a time down the stairs, and pushes her way through the taller folk in the common room with barely a muttered apology as she steps on feet, and knocks people, spilling not a few drinks in her haste. Once out on the street, she runs, turns a few corners and then finally realises that she's left without knowing how to get to the Dragon's Den, or whether her friends are even there.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

At the Dragon's Lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The half-elf looks a bit disappointed as she continues to fling drinks to clamoring guests. "A glass of juice, or sweetwater will be a copper!" She shouts back to Fimble. Then turning to Felix, she leans in so you can hear a bit better, "A Zombie is a house specialty! Three kinds of rum, brandy, and exotic juices from fruits that are imported all the way from the jungles of Chult! The name... well... I guess it's named that way because of the graveyard!" Then she rushes back to her duties.

In Oscar's Room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grim wraps his large fists around the tiny knife and fork, looking a bit like a bear performing a circus trick as he gingerly cuts into the meat and places it into his mouth. His eyes close for a moment as he savors the taste, then growls out an approving "MMmm" while he chews.

Giselda, a bit more demure, smiles at Fanter and thanks him as he serves the succulent meal. "Daddy was first relocated to Neverwinter to oversee the transition. Since he worked mainly as the guild's liaison during its formative years, it only made sense that he would serve that role again during its fresh start. That's when mother fell in love with this place. At the time, this inn was owned by someone else, and we stayed here as guests of the mayor. Mother is a talented businesswoman in her own right and always wanted to own an inn. So, when the rights to the guild were sold, daddy used his share of the profits to buy this place from the original owners. For many years thereafter, daddy still served as a spokesman for the guild, and the inn has always been a gathering place for wealthy merchants and young aristocrats. So, naturally this served as a convenient place to let investors know where to find bodyguards and the like for the next leg in whatever journey they were on at the moment."

@ Terlew, on the Quiet Streets of Neverwinter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At first, you find several humming taverns with bright lights inside. Though it is quite dark, the night is still young for Neverwinter. However, as you turn a few corners, it doesn't take long for the neighborhood to look somewhat less inviting. Though there is no apparent threat, it is much more quiet here. Instead of giggling couples and groups of stumbling young revelers, you see smaller groups, more sparsely located, whispering amongst each other in private conversations, or glancing up at you and moving to a more shadowy spot, deeper into an alleyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll Knowledge: Local to regain your bearings.
    Also, please roll Spot and Listen checks.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Terlew wanders down the street, not quite sure where she is anymore.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Local(1d20+4)[18] <- untrained, if that makes a difference, I can't remember
    Spot: (1d20-5)[2]
    Listen: (1d20-5)[12]

Oh, unattentive trait, how I love you
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

21. - Top - End - #141

"It is interesting. I wonder how they do that sound barrier." Gwen says to Fimble. Then she turns back to the elf and says "I think I'd like to try a Zombie. You like it right?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"One zombie then, I need to try it!"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

On the Quiet Streets of Neverwinter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can recall the map from when you first came into town. The Dragon's Lair was a tourist site that was flagged as a point of interest for travelers. You aren't far from the main streets and could navigate back to the Dragon's Lair with relative ease.

At the Dragon's Lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The half-elf nods, "5 copper each."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

24. - Top - End - #144

Gwen produces seven copper pieces from from a small embroidered bag and hands it to the elven woman. "Here you go." she says awaiting her drink excitedly. She turns back to the guys "Where do you guy's want to sit?" She then smiles coyly seeing Fimble's eyes fixated on the dancer "Or should I just assume as close to the stage as possible."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Here you are!" says Felix giving 5 cp to the woman.

To Gwen: "I guess our friend knows well where he wants to sit." He says smirking.

"Later I would like to try these gambling tables... Monks weren't to fond of gambling..."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

At the Dragon's Lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two Zombies go sliding across the bar to you in a frosty metal glass with a piece of pineapple jutting out the top.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-06-15 at 10:21 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #147

"Thanks" Gwen says to the bartender. She takes a little sip to test the zombie and decides she likes it. She then takes a much larger gulp of it enjoying the flavors. "Let's go see if we can find a table." She says to the guys heading towards the stage searching for a place for them to sit.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

Fimble accepts the offer of juice with a squeamish smile and follows Gwen through the crowd of large people to a table near the stage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

At the Dragon's Lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as you leave the immediate proximity of the bar, the music is suddenly at full volume again.

After you've all had a seat, a barmaid darts in beside you and taps the top of a polished white stone that lights up at her touch. As soon as she does so, the music dies down again to a dull thrum. "Hi, my name is Alia. If you need anything, just tap the rock. I'll be right over." With that, she smiles one last time and taps the rock again. The soft glow of its light dies out and the music returns to its normal volume.

Aside from the stone, the table is sparsely decorated, but the chairs are posh and comfortable. The dance appears to be coming to the climactic part. As the female dances, the two men dance on either side of her as if symbolically battling for her affections. From this closer vantage point, you can tell that she isn't entirely human, and possesses an otherworldly beauty that is difficult to place. Her eyes are impossibly large and dark. Her skin is unnaturally pale, but her lips are full. Her ears are difficult to see in the chaos of her movement, but her limbs appear to bend at nearly impossible angles, as if she were double jointed. Her build is slender, but there is no question of the strength of her muscles, based on the dance moves she is capable of performing. Her soft, wispy hair is seems to take on the color of whatever light flashes near it. The men appear to be half-elves and are also quite handsome. They are tall for their race and broad shouldered. They each have brown hair. One has a sharp angular chin capped with a tightly trimmed and goatee. The other has a soft chin that gives him a slightly feminine face.

On the Streets of Neverwinter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey! I was talking to you!" Snaps a man walking towards Terlew, about 50 feet behind her. "No need to be rude. I'm just trying to be friendly, is all."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #150

Gwen takes another large drink from her zombie, and is surprised its almost gone already. She taps the rock tentatively not used to that method of summoning the barmaid and then orders another zombie. She finishes the first one while watching the dancer wondering what race she is.

Spoiler
    Show
    General Int Check
    (1d20+1)[17]
    Fort save if I need it after just one zombie
    (1d20+3)[12]
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show