Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    "Hopefully it will stop them at least for a while." Says Felix as they ride away.

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    inexorabletruth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Your passage through the mountain route is tedious at first, since one of the merchants now has to constantly readjust his damaged pack saddle.

    "Confounded bandits and their damned swords." he would grumble as he ties another knot in the straps to readjust it.

    The merchants, still coping with the death of one of their guards, are mostly silent during this leg of the journey.

    Hours pass and the sun drops low in the sky. The mules look lathered and Simon curses again as his pack saddle falls off. "I've had it with this cursed broken saddle!" He kicks the saddle and Sophie brays angrily at the outburst. "Jarvis, please let us stop for a bit. I need to repair my saddle before it gets too dark to see."

    Jarvis looks back and examines the situation, then nods his consent. "Fair enough," he says with an easy sigh. "It's been a long day for all of us. We can make camp here, I suppose."

    The merchants get to work circling the wagons around an appropriate site for a fire. The trees are low, but not particularly dense, and the distant sound of a waterfall provides a pleasant percussive melody. After some time, the campfire is finally lit. The merchants with mules set up tents, and the merchants with carts set up bedrolls under their carts. Jarvis and his assistant coachman take a look at the chassis of the wagon that nearly fell off the cliff.

    "I thought it felt like it was pulling to the right... there's the problem," the coachman says to Jarvis, who nods his agreement. "Can you make the appropriate repairs?" He asks the coachman. "Perhaps... we've got a spare wheel and some spare axle parts, but I believe that once we get to Port Llast, we should purchase a new axle." Jarvis drums his fingertips on a rock for a moment, then says, "Very well. Make the appropriate repairs tonight and add your services to the cost of your usual fee."

    After everyone sets up camp for the night, several of the merchants confer amongst themselves and decide to bring out some wine and cups.

    Jarvis pulls out a dulcian from his wagon, while his assistant coachmen tinkers away at the axle.

    "Brave wizard and warriors," Jarvis intones. "We've done naught to mourn the death of your friend and traveling companion, Gordid Swordbreaker, who died valiantly defending our lives and livelihood. I realize that, until now, time has not permitted such a courtesy. But now that we stop for rest, I should like you to know that we all are grateful for the risks you take, and the sacrifices you have already made. Please, enjoy our wine, and our food."

    He shuffles his feet, and looks nervously at his instrument. "I'm something of a novice at this, I must admit. But I figure, if my father was a bard, perhaps some of his talent may be within me. I've been practicing, anyways... so here it goes."

    Perform Check Results: 21

    He plays a sweet dirge as the merchants pour the wine into the cups. It's weeping melody fills the air with a sad hollowness that rivals the emptiness of silence. Lost in the melody, Jarvis plays on for several minutes.

    "It's a fine spirit," Richard says as he fills another cup. "Made from the mountain grapes of this region. It is often compared to the famous Garnet Wine, produced by the dwarves, but this has a softer finish. I use it to bribe mayors when I..." he looks to Fimble and Gwen, then sort of smiles awkwardly and goes silent. "Take the time to savor it. It took me more than a month to raise the funds to purchase a case of these bottles and it's the only one I've got on me."
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

    My Campaigns:
    Champions of Gru Game Closing

    My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    After they stop Felix takes out his bedroll and blanket and prepares a place to rest near the wagons. Alfie stays near, resting on the side of much too large for Felix blanket... and serving as a living, warm pillow. Alfie dozes off a bit, but wakes up every 15, 20 minutes to look for danger, before sleeping again.

    Felix takes a cap when offered and tastes the wine. He stares blankly, not focusing on anything specific.
    "Gordid was a good companion... and a friend, even if we didn't know each other for long. When we first met, we quarreled, as his wild heavily opposed the rules and way of life of monks, like me... In the end though, we looked past our differences, traveled together and in the last fight trusted each other with our lives. And the one thing I know for sure about him is that he loved a good spirit, in all meanings of this word. So drink up my friends.

    For Gordid!"
    He concludes, rising the cup.

    Spoiler
    Show

    The waking up routine of dogs... I am not sure about it, I've read somewhere that wolves do that, so maybe a guardian dog would be trained to do so too.

    Perform (oratory) (1d20-1)[14]
    to check how good is the speech.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2012-10-22 at 06:45 PM.

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    "Aye. That was a fine speech. Worthy." Fimble raises his cup to meet Felix's.
    "Gordid!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    missmvicious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Gwen also raises her glass "It seems far to early for a companion to be gone."
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

    Character(s)

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Jungian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Oscar raises his glass up high and says, "Gordid was fine companion. He enjoyed the carnal pleasures and approached any objective with a zealous attitude. As Ms.Gwen said it is far to early that we lost one of our own, but we will never make the same mistake again." As he sips his wine.
    Character Sheets


    The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Feddin looks at the others and half-heartedly raises his glass, tasting the wine and saying nothing. He didn't know the man they spoke of, hadn't witnessed his demise nor spotted any body. And he honestly didn't care. He just hoped traveling with this group would prove productive.
    OOC Desc FoUT:
    Dhra Gruut, Male Mintauran, seven feet tall and covered in a greying hair, long grey twisting horns jut from his skull toward his rear, adding another foot to his height; has a long grey and black beard that drifts down from his chin. His eyes are a deep green and he regularly adds marking to his body as he casts. Carries several short spears on his back. Small pouches attach to his waist, smelling of balms. On his arms a pair of leather bracers embedded with quartz.

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    "I am afraid there are no such guaranties, my friend."
    Fimble looks Oscar in the eye as he says this, then stares into the fire.
    "It's a dangerous path we have chosen, and Gordid knew this. We all risk our lives everyday, and you never know which will be your last.

    You can only hope that when the day arrives, you can look back on your life and say: I took the right path. And I lived every day to the fullest."

    Fimble takes a long sip of his wine.
    "That being said, I promise I'll give my all to push that day away from each one of you for as long as possible."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Jungian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Oscar continues to sip his wine for a moment, savoring the soft and smooth liquid. Oscar meets the gaze of the small blue eyed paladin. Setting his glass down softly Oscar says, "Mr.Fimble the responsibility of our safety does not rest on your shoulders alone. Your assessment of our profession is correct. It is dangerous and bloody work. But that is not the reason why Gordid was lost today," and pausing for a moment to stare into the flames, "It was our flippant and foolish approach to our profession that cost him his life. The bandits while serious should have never been a lethal threat. We knew that the terrain would be mountainous in nature, yet are ability to defend or attack a threat situated above was almost nonexistent. A simple purchase of crossbows and shortbows for our contingent could have quickly turn the tide of battle. Similarly, preparation of spells that can be used at distance would have quickly ended the encounter." Oscar swirls his glass slowly taking a moment to watch the rich liquid cling to the side, when he speaks again it is a soft weary voice, "Our hubris was responsible for Gordid's death, and it will be a blemish we must bear in perpetuity...If would excuse me, I must see to Maximillian and Dorian's needs before I can retire." Finishing his glass, he turns to Richard and inclines his head, "The wine was quite wonderful and I appreciate your generosity in offering it to us." To the group at large he says, "I must bid you all a good evening, I need at least 8 hours of sleep in order to prepare my spells for tomorrows journey. As such, I will take the last shift of watch tonight." With that he strolls back to the cart to prep the animals for the evening.
    Character Sheets


    The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Fimble walks over to Oscar with swift steps and rests a small hand on his arm.
    "Wait, listen. Maybe you're right. Perhaps if we had been better prepared for a ranged assault, Gordid would still be alive. Perhaps not. He wasn't killed by the bandits. He fell from a cliff, saving a man's life in the process. It was an indirect result of the bandits' attack, yes, but one we could not possibly have foreseen.
    You cannot, must not blame yourself for what happened, Oscar. We can't be prepared for every situation. And it was his choice that saved a man's life and lost him his own."

    Fimble's eyes start to flicker nervously.
    "I.. I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn. You go rest. I'll take first watch."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Jungian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    With a weary gratitude Oscar says, "I'll take your words into consideration...Good night Mr.Fimble"
    Character Sheets


    The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    inexorabletruth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    The rest of the merchants spend some time cheering up the adventurers with anecdotes about their families and friends, wily trades they'd come out on top of, or just simple tales of the beautiful moments of life on the road.

    The dinner they prepared was exquisite, for a roadside dinner: freshly caught river fish, garnished with nuts, fire roasted potatoes, and fresh vegetables, with a small side of fruit.

    The merchants weren't professional chefs, and you may have had better, but the effort was certainly apparent, and the ingredients certainly were of high quality.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Jarvis continues to play on for some time, until most of the wine is finished. Once it becomes apparent that everyone is ready to turn in for the night, he packs up his dulcian and joins the rest of the group for a bite of food and a sip of wine. The assistant coachmen joins in with a smile, wiping the grease from his hands and grabs a plate.

    "That should do it, provided the road doesn't get too bumpy," he says with a satisfied smile as he sits down next to Jarvis.

    The night carries on, and one by one everyone eventually crawls into their sleeping spaces. Even Jarvis starts to yawn more than talk and therefore crawls inside his wagon.

    Please determine your watch order...
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-10-27 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

    My Campaigns:
    Champions of Gru Game Closing

    My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Fimble wishes the others a good night's sleep and decides to spend his watch going through his equipment, making sure everything is in order, before cleaning and polishing his hammer and shield.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    "Good night, my friends. Wake me up when it is my turn."
    Says Felix as he goes to previously prepared place to rest.

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    inexorabletruth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    @Fimble:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a beautiful, if chilly night. The stars pierce the heavens like the eyes of angels, revealing curious rabbits and hungry raccoons who scurry across the foliage and occasionally attempt to raid a cart or two. All in all, it's a quiet night.


    @Gwen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sky darkens and stars fade as low clouds come in. The chill of the night is in full effect, but one of the merchants has lent you a heavy blanket to battle the icy breeze that crashes into the wilting campfire.


    @Felix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your shift is greeted with a slight drizzle. The sprinkling is miserable feeling, and you just know that means fog in the morning. Still, the fire is warm and the rumbling snore of the merchants give you something to focus on rather than the cold and rain. At least the foul turn of the weather makes it so that noone comes along to bother your camp.


    @Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been drizzling for most of the night, but now, the drizzle has turned into a sprinkle and hints at a rainy day tomorrow. Tiny waterfalls begin to cascade off the sides of rocks, and in the distance, you can hear the sound of an irritable bear looking for food.


    @Oscar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rain is coming down rather steady when you are stirred to begin your watch, and the campfire is nothing but smoke and cinders, leaving a barren reminder of the semblance of warmth your group enjoyed the evening before. The morning sun, what little of it you can see, is a welcome sight, although it fails to scatter the clouds that threaten to bog down the days journey.


    The group finally wakes up and the merchants begin to prepare a hearty breakfast of coffee, salted pork, eggs, and oatmeal.

    "We can't eat like this every day," Jarvis says regretfully, "but we'll consider this our last hearty meal until Port Llast. After that, we'll need to be careful of our rations. It's only going to get colder, windier, and rainier from here on."

    Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Fortitude Saves vs. Cold, DC 15.
    If you possess equipment that protects you completely from the cold, then you don't have to roll. Everyone else, please roll with all appropriate equipment bonuses.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

    My Campaigns:
    Champions of Gru Game Closing

    My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Felix eats a lot. "Uhh, it is good to eat like that, it will keep us warm better than anything else... shame it is the last time."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Fort vs cold (1d20+11)[29]

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Jungian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    When Oscar was woken for his watch, it didn't take long for him to see what sort of day awaited him. Disgustingly dreary... Fashioning a make shift tent, Oscar spent his time watching the surrounding areas while preparing his spells for the day. He tried to envision every possible situation as he chose his spells, no more needless death...

    The rest of the group stirred just as Oscar finished his preparations, and he daintily but throughly ate his morning meal. Oscar listened to Jarvis predict the rest of the journey, "Fabulous..." as he heads back to his cart to see what he had prepared for the journey.
    Character Sheets


    The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Fimble keeps his blanket tight around him during the breakfast, trying to stay cheerful.
    "This is really good food. And if it weren't for the bandits. This is actually quite a nice place."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  19. - Top - End - #409
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Fimble finishes his meal and dusts the crumbs off of his trousers before donning his armor.
    "Well, we should probably get moving. I don't believe we're waiting for anything but bandits at the moment."
    With that, he quickly packs, saddles Sugarcane, and is ready to go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Feddin finishes his meal without a word. He gathers up his things, staying out of the way. He pulls out a shuriken and twirls it in his fingers, bundling up in his warm furs he keeps for this time of year.
    OOC Desc FoUT:
    Dhra Gruut, Male Mintauran, seven feet tall and covered in a greying hair, long grey twisting horns jut from his skull toward his rear, adding another foot to his height; has a long grey and black beard that drifts down from his chin. His eyes are a deep green and he regularly adds marking to his body as he casts. Carries several short spears on his back. Small pouches attach to his waist, smelling of balms. On his arms a pair of leather bracers embedded with quartz.

  21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Jungian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Lightbulb Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    After finishing his preparations and despairing his choice of clothing, perhaps I could fashion a overcoat from my bedroll.... With possible design manifesting in his mind, Oscar approaches Ms.Gwen and says, "How are your preparations preceding? Would you need some assistance? " with slight change of tone, he continues, "I also happen to notice your crossbow in our previous skirmish...Would you possible lend it me to rest for the rest of our journey? Until at least I can acquire my own. Our...spoils included a few bows, which are near impossible me to use. Your martial training allows you to effectively use the bow, while i could use the simplier crossbow myself. This way I can contribute in the event my spells are depleted. As to avoid anymore needless... Loss. Though you my need to show me how to properly use it..."
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-10-30 at 08:06 PM.
    Character Sheets


    The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    missmvicious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Just realized I didn't actually respond to this...


    Gwen feels frigid from the night of sleeping on the cold earth. She spent as much of her watch as close to the fire as she could get without burning herself. In the morning she did what she could trying to warm up and recover some of the energy the cold had drained in the night but to no avail.

    In response to Oscar she says
    "Well, I suppose, since its easy enough to point and fire, though its a bit heavy you should know." She wouldn't miss hauling the thing around at least, though she was a bit worried that he would have some troubles with it. "I do hope more of the trip is quiet though." She adds with a smile, "To much excitement and I'm worried we won't make it to Luskan." Her tone is light but she does worry privately.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

    Character(s)

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    inexorabletruth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    The sprinkle turns into a downpour, and travel is exhausting and cumbersome. Fortunately, monsters and bandits feel the same way, and your journey for that day is quiet, at least.

    On many occasions, carriage wheels get stuck as hard ground turns into mud, but the merchants are practiced at these kinds of problems and it only slows you down for a few minutes each time.

    Stoically, the merchants march through the soupy mud for several hours until the thunder begins to roll in.

    "We m-*thunderclap* SHELTER!" Richard shouts. His voice is somewhat drowned out by another thunderclap, but his request is easy enough to interpret, considering the feeling is shared my many in the group.

    The clouds are now so thick that it no longer appears to be daytime. Combining that with the rain and the road ahead is nearly invisible.

    Jarvis, silently leading the team doesn't seem to hear Richard from the back. He continues to drive his horses on with a determined grimace, leading the way through the pounding downpour.

    Lightning stabs the mountainside some distance away, brightening the scene enough to reveal a dead goblin on the mountain path with a large rock on his chest. Jarvis's horses scream in surprise and nearly buck the wagon loose from the hitch until he manages to calm them.

    You can see Jarvis mouth something, but his words are unintelligible against the roar of the storm. He looks back to the group and cups his hands around his mouth. "WE NEED TO CLEAR THE PATH!" He shouts. Some of the other merchants gape at him incredulously. Jarvis gestures toward the goblin and bolder ahead of him, clearly misinterpreting their expressions. "A GOBLIN AND A BOULDER! ON THE ROAD! I CAN'T GO AROUND IT!"

    Richard stomps up to Jarvis with a bitter scowl on his face. "HAVE YOU GONE DAFT?! WE'RE GONNA *thunderclap* JUST LIKE THAT GOBLIN! WE NEED TO FIND SHELTER!"

    The two continue arguing. Although much of what they say is drowned out by the storm, it's evident that Jarvis doesn't want any more delays, but Richard and several of the other merchants would prefer to wait out the storm.

    Jarvis bites his lip and glares at Richard who doesn't back down, then throws up his arms angrily.

    "WE NEED A SCOUT TO FIND A SUITABLE SHELTER, BUT I STILL NEED SOME HELP MOVING THIS *thunderclap* ROCK!" He shouts back to the group. "WHO WILL GO? AND WHO WILL STAY?"
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

    My Campaigns:
    Champions of Gru Game Closing

    My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Feddin looks at the others and moves up, seeming less uncomfortable in this weather than most. He speaks loud enough to be heard but somehow he manages to avoid shouting,a nd seems to pause right before each thunderclap."I will scout ahead. I cover *pause, thunderclap* more ground than anyone else here with greater ease, and I know the *pause, thunderclap* area better than any of you would." He looks ahead, and immediately decides against pulling out his shuriken, as the wind would make throwing impossible. He makes his way ahead to scout the area.

    Skill rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

    Add in circumstance bonuses/penalties as appropriate
    Move Silently(1d20+3)[22] To get as close as possible
    Hide(1d20+4)[12] To stay hidden while getting close.
    Listen(1d20+1)[11] Listening for warnings of a rock slide or sudden flood of water
    Spot(1d20+1)[15] For the Goblisn and danger
    Tumble(1d20+5)[14] in case I need to get past difficult terrain
    OOC Desc FoUT:
    Dhra Gruut, Male Mintauran, seven feet tall and covered in a greying hair, long grey twisting horns jut from his skull toward his rear, adding another foot to his height; has a long grey and black beard that drifts down from his chin. His eyes are a deep green and he regularly adds marking to his body as he casts. Carries several short spears on his back. Small pouches attach to his waist, smelling of balms. On his arms a pair of leather bracers embedded with quartz.

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    missmvicious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    I think we should send both monks, since they are the most likely to pass a survival check.


    "Wait! Feddin, take Felix with you!" Gwen calls after him. She is soaked to the bone shivering. She doesn't feel like she could keep a good grasp on her trident even if she tried with her hands feeling frozen and slick with rain water. Her face stings with the heavy rain drops and keeping her eyes open through its a pain as well.

    "Fimble help me try to move the bolder and Oscar just see if the goblin's body has anything that could be helpful on it. He can't exactly use it anymore." Gwen shouts to her team mate over the storm, pointing to each one then what she wants them to be doing in case they can't hear her. She makes her way to the bolder testing to see if she can roll it out of the way. She makes a feeble attempt at wiping the water from her face before setting herself to try to push the boulder.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Str check (1d20+2)[8]

    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

    Character(s)

  26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    "Let me help!" Says Felix as he rides Alfie after Feddin.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Listen check to sense danger (1d20+9)[11]
    Hide (1d20+7)[18]
    Spot - danger (1d20+7)[20]
    Spot - shelter ... possibly taking 10 or 20 if allowed, if not (1d20+7)[8]
    Ride, if needed (1d20+6)[26]
    Survival to look for shelter (1d20+3)[14]
    Survival - trying to predict weather for next 24 h (DC 15) (1d20+3)[19]

    Alfie has scent, so he could probably smell anyone trying to attack us. 'Probably' because it is raining and as far as I know it would hinder this ability, at least in RL. ... Although if we find a cave...

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AshesOfOld's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Fimble runs to her side after making sure that Sugarcane isn't running off in a panic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal (1d20+5)[19]

    Alright, on three! One, two...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ass. str check: (1d20+2)[17]


    Fimble tries to keep an eye and ear open for sudden movements on the sides, not wanting to have a surprise boulder in the face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen (1d20+1)[19]
    Spot (1d20+1)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

    Avatar by the amazing Ceika.


    Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    inexorabletruth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Feddin/Felix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Scouting ahead with stealth is easy enough, as the pounding rain is almost thick enough to provide concealment on its own... spotting a nice dry patch ahead, or hearing anything quieter than a shout, is another story entirely.

    You do, however, find a group of scraggily half-naked goblins standing at the mouth of a cave holding a very enraged bear at bay with crude spears. There appears to be a campfire crackling inside the cave... which is most likely what upset the bear.


    Fimble/Gen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You manage to roll the boulder aside, revealing a very squished, mostly naked goblin. Once the path is clear, you attempt to move the goblin, but he comes apart in the middle now...

    Jarvis screws up his face in disgust at the horrid sight but doesn't issue any complaints.

    "LET'S HI-*thunderclap* MULES WITH THE HORSES!" he shouts. "I'VE SOME EXTRA ROOM IN MY WAGONS, AND THOSE OF US ON FOOT C-*thunderclap* -DE INSIDE! THE EXTRA TOWING POWER FROM THE MU-*thunderclap* -ELP KEEP US FROM GETTING STUCK AGAIN UNTIL WE FIND SHELTER!"
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-11-05 at 02:29 PM.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

    My Campaigns:
    Champions of Gru Game Closing

    My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    Felix focuses for a short while, forming an armor around his body with pure force of will and, now protected, he tries to decide, which of the potential enemies could prove a bigger threat.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Manifesting Inertial Armor

    Sense Motive: (1d20+3)[6]
    (more if needed)
    (1d20+3)[7]
    (1d20+3)[5]

    Is the cave big enough for both our group and goblins?
    How many goblins are there?
    What kind of bear is it? (possibly untrained Knowledge (nature) check)
    (1d20+0)[16]

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

    ((OOC: Had already posted, but the forum ate my post and left no traces of it. Stupid "server is busy" errors. Also, can't look at mthweavers at the moment so I don't know what my untrained knowledge check bonus would be.))

    Feddin attempts to recognize and recall anything he can about the Goblins. They might be a local clan he's had interactions with in the past.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge (local) (1d20)[5]
    OOC Desc FoUT:
    Dhra Gruut, Male Mintauran, seven feet tall and covered in a greying hair, long grey twisting horns jut from his skull toward his rear, adding another foot to his height; has a long grey and black beard that drifts down from his chin. His eyes are a deep green and he regularly adds marking to his body as he casts. Carries several short spears on his back. Small pouches attach to his waist, smelling of balms. On his arms a pair of leather bracers embedded with quartz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •