New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

...and, after a short while, he is back.

"I am afraid we may have a problem here. I think that mommy-bear will be back here... and not that long from now...

... there are baby bears here..."
    He says to the others.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground

As Oscar unveils the buckler, he gives a quick appraisal, Functional though not overly stylish...I don't have much use for this He displays the buckler at arms length and says, "Would any of you who are martially inclined wish to acquire a new buckler. It is of exquisite quality" He lays the buckler down as he surveys the sopping merchants, in a professional voice he says, "Gentlemen, if you posses any wares that would spoil due to dampness or incur some water damage, please direct me to them and I'll dry them to the best of my ability." He snaps his fingers and his fitting clothes being to relax as the moisture and dust from the days travels fade from existence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting prestidigation Oscar will proceed to dry items at the direction of the merchants. It states that a cubic foot of material per round can be dried for one hour

He begins to dry when Felix announces his discovery, "There are baby bears....adorable but problematic." his next words have a note of tension in them, making his voice slightly shrill, "Any ideas of what to do about the cubs..."
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-11-17 at 04:10 PM.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

"It wouldn't be right, or wise for us to stand between mother and cubs. We need to try to find a different cave." Gwen says, looking very disappointed.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

"You're absolutely right, Gwen." Fimble nods with a worried look on his face.
    "It's bad luck, but we need to get out of this place fast, before we incur a tragedy."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The merchants appraise Oscar's handiwork with approving nods until they hear the general consensus lean toward heading back out in that rain.

"You must be joking!" Says Richard. "It's like someone took the ocean and flipped it upside down on our heads out there! They're only cubs, and you handled the bear quickly enough the first time." He puts his hands on his hips defiantly.

Simon joins in while Richard huffs, "If the mother bear wanted her cubs so much she'd have fought harder for them. Besides she probably thinks their dead, right? So she's probably not coming back anyway. And if she does come back, just do whatever you did last time. We're tired of getting rained on, and that storm's turning dangerous."

Jarvis's eyes light up at the prospect of moving on. "I think we should trust the professionals here! After all, it's their job to protect us from harm. Come on... what's a little rain compared to to the wrath of an angry bear, should she return as we sleep? Besides, we're merchants! These products aren't going to deliver themselves, you know."
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-11-18 at 12:42 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

6. - Top - End - #456
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar listens to the merchants pleas and Jarvis's proclamation, and says, "Mr.Jarvis, with all respect it could be dangerous if we move ahead. The storm shows no sign of letting up, and as night grows the path will become even more difficult. The road ahead had been blocked by several landslides, and the sodden ground will provide unstable footing for the horses. Furthermore, I am seriously concerned about the landslides...The ground is unstable and there is no telling when or where the next will occur. Over the course of the night, the rocks may settle reducing the chance of a subsequent displacement."

To the group at large, "While finding a new cave could be feasible...It would be difficult, time consuming and not necessarily fruitful endeavor...I believe the mother will return this evening, so we need to come up with a plan of action. I am adverse to slaying the mother or the cubs. Perhaps we could place the cubs closer to the mouth of the cave or even outside, and hope the mother retrieves them...Though if anyone has any alternatives, please propose them.:"
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Perhaps we could try an alternative method. The goblins were aggressive and violent and the mother bear wasn't going to allow them here threatening her cubs. If someone can calm her enough, maybe even convince the mother we mean her and her cubs no harm, perhaps, at least for the night, we can share the cave with them. If it comes to it though, our needs are greater than hers. We can try moving the cubs to the entrance and hope the mother takes them and leaves. But we have to be prepared to fight her." He pulls out a shuriken and moves it along his fingers. He did not seem eager to fight the bear. He'd shared caves with wild animals on nights like this. The trick was to show them you meant them no harm. Or, if they were too aggressive, a few non-lethal blows usually convinced most animals Feddin was not worth forcing out.

8. - Top - End - #458

Not being able to come up with anything better, Fimble lets out a long sigh.
    "Alright, I guess we could try moving them. Unfortunately we can't use the same trick again before I and, I suspect, Oscar as well, have had a good night's rest."

He looks around the cave a bit.

"I guess our best bet is to leave the cubs by the entrance and start a real fire to keep the mother at bay."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The bear cubs can barely walk, and are relatively easy to catch and bring to the front.

Spoiler
    Show

After a few minutes you've got the cubs situated at the front of the cave, and the fireplace moved further back. The change in the lighting reveals several fissures and natural tunnels. This cave may actually be a cavern. The shortest tunnel dead ends at a sheer drop-off to a large open chamber of stalagmites and stalactites. It is very dark in here, but the sound of water dripping give hints of its depth. The light from the fireplace gives barely a hint of its structure, but there are enough clues to reveal that the chamber beyond is massive.

By this time, the crayfish are properly boiled and ready to eat, and the merchants have settled in. Jarvis is inspecting his wares and polishing whatever items and equipment he has that may rust.

One of the merchants has produced a card game and are huddled together, gambling away their funds.

Jarvis sighs, "Well? What do we do now?" He looks bored and slightly frustrated. Simon grumbles back after his turn, "We wait out the storm and see if that bear comes back."

Jarvis sighs again. "We've only travelled half a day," he laments under his breath. "Cursed weather." He returns back to fussing over his wares.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-11-20 at 01:10 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #460

"You guys are crazy if you think a mother bear is gonna be persuaded into playing nice after she was chased away from her cubs. I mean maybe if we had a druid but we don't. And its not right to chase baby bears that can hardly walk into a storm that battle hardened warriors can't handle. This area is teaming with caves and I am gonna look for somewhere else. This is gonna be a disaster." Gwen says a little disgusted that the men are so cool with letting a family be ripped apart.

With another sigh Gwen braves the storm again searching for a new cave for the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check!(1d20+2)[11]

Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #461

"Gambling isn't really my sport." Fimble excuses himself, before moving to the back of the cave where the cavern begins.
    Finding nothing better to do, he summons four dancing lights and send them down into the tunnel to possibly get a view of the large cavern.

Spoiler
    Show
    Max range 120' + visibility (which I guess is 60') the lights cannot stray more than 10' from one of the others, so Fimble will keep them close together exploring every bit of the cave he can see without venturing in himself. The duration is one minute.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar had gotten up to reply to Gwen as she headed out into the storm, "Ms. Gwen don't be foolish..." but his plea was lost in the pounding of the rain.

Vexing...She is wandering in the dark, during a storm, with a disturbed bear on the loose.

He looks at the small cubs near the entrance of the cave, huddled together for warmth and comfort. He observes them for a moment, trying to asses thier age and health. They are disgustingly adorable.

Oscar retreats to his pack and returns with some jerker softened in the crayfish pot. He tosses it to the cubs and backs away slowly, seeking Fimble in the rear of the cave. "Mr.Fimble we may have an issue. The mother bear will return to the cave most likely, she is hungry and desperate for her cubs. She is a rather fine specimen of her kind, and I don't wish to see her slain were she to attack. I seek your opinion on this matter. There is also an....issue with Ms.Gwen. She has disappeared into the storm...with a hungry upset mother bear around the immediate area... "
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-11-20 at 08:25 PM.
    Character Sheets

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Fimble:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What you see is stunning, a massive chamber filled with stalactites and stalagmites that stab the dark like crystalline claws.

You're coming from the cave in the middle of the picture.
    Spoiler
    Show

strange colored rocks reflect the light of your spell and sparkle in shades of orange, pink, green and blue. At the base of the chamber is a small pool that is being fed water that is dripping from the stalactites.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

14. - Top - End - #464

"This is incredible you guys, come see..." Fimble starts before being interrupted by Oscar.

"She's what?! That's insane! She doesn't know this territory, she could get lost or eaten. Why on earth would she leave the cave? And why did you let her go?"

Fimble rushes past him and up to Feddin.
    "Feddin! Feddin, did you see where Gwen went? We have to find her and bring her back!" he says as he agitatedly grabs Feddin's shoulder.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Feddin almost sneers, rolling his eyes. He reaches up, grabbing Fimble's wrist re-actively and almost twisting his arm before letting go "Why must we find her? She doesn't want to go along with the group's plan then she will have to handle her own fate, alone. But, for what it's worth, the best chance she has is heading further up the path, and if she's lucky the rock slides have revealed more caves."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you'd like me to roll, like, a grapple check or something I can:
    Grapple touch attack: (1d20+4)[11] electing to not do damage and simply release Fimble if the grapple succeeds.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"I will go after her."

Says Felix as he walks out to the rain... with a very sad expression.
    He takes Alfie with him and follows after Gwen.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival to find another cave
    (1d20+3)[22]

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar tone chills noticeably as he follows Fimble to Feddin, "Mr.Fimble I sought your council because you are level headed. I was able to stop her because her exit was abrupt and ludicrous. I dont posses the spells nor talent to track her through the storm, or at all. So let's calm down, a have a brief but productive discussion."
    Character Sheets

18. - Top - End - #468

Fimble lets go of Feddin's arm with a surprised and slightly hurt expression on his face.
    "Level-headed. Productive. Right."
    He looks around for a second.
    "Then perhaps we should stop Felix from doing the same?" he says urgently.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground

Bewildered Oscar answers,"Felix? What do you mean?" He looks just in time to see Felix's form disappear into the gray insubstantial wall, a small vein pulses on the side of his head as he screams, "FELIX YOU GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT! WHAT FOOLISHNESS HAS DESCENDED UPON US!"

His jaw clenches shut as he gentle rubs his temples, "Imbeciles.." He turns to Feddin and Fimble, "Are either of you capable of tracking BOTH...of them in this blasted storm. Now we are missing nearly half the group, who are wandering in the monsoon with an irritated bear on the loose....Idiots."

Oscar squarely looks at Feddin, "Mr.Feddin, think very carefully, are there any prominent caves that would draw thier attention in the area? Something prominent, spacious, and probably not far from the path."

Spoiler
    Show
    Oscar is displeased by these turn of events.
    Character Sheets

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Of course there are, and right now most of them will either be housing some large beast or pack of monstrous humanoids, or covered up partially by the frequent landslides. This cave here is our best hope of weathering this storm. And my skills lie in the arts of acrobatics. You want a tracker, find yourself a ranger or a druid." He sounds almost indignant that someone would even ask him if he tracked. He was terrible at noticing such things. While the other complained, argued, or worried, Feddin chooses to go to the now cooked crayfish and begin filling is rather empty stomach.

21. - Top - End - #471

"So what?" Fimble says still agitated. "We just wait here until the storm bears off and hope they're still alive in the morning?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The merchants watch the argument unfold.

Jarvis, seeing the tension in the group, pipes in after a moment. "Is there anything I may do at the moment to help? I'm no warrior, but I know a thing or two about this region. You don't get to be a famous wold traveling merchant like me without looking under a rock or two to see what's there. And this has become a familiar trade route for all the merchants here-"

"I ain't going out in that rain," Douglas, one of the cart driving merchants, states flatly.

Jarvis shrugs, "well, this is a familiar trade route."

Simon wipes crawfish off his hands and stands up. "I've no desire to head out in that storm, nor do I think it's a great idea to split the group up even more. We could just give them some more time. Have faith in your friends. They'll either come back with news of an even better shelter, or they'll come back empty handed. Either way, if we venture off in search of them, and we don't find them, then they'll be coming back to an empty cave with no idea where to look for us."

Jarvis nods slightly, appraising the wisdom. "He has a valid point. What do you think?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

In a barely audible tone Oscar murmurs, "Or they don't come back at all...". Caught in the web of his indecisiveness, Oscar does the only thing he could to partially satisfy both his desire to leave and stay. He wanders up toward the mouth of the cave and sits near the entrance. His face is a stone slate, completely inert as his eyes quickly twitch back and forth. He proceeds to watch the surrounding area closely To stay or to go...What if they are injured or worse, what happens if we leave and get injured or worse.. Lost in his own thoughts, Oscar mind slips back to when they first had arrived at the guild and Fnipper's statement, I will learn several divination spells, this mess could have possible been avoided...
    Character Sheets

24. - Top - End - #474

Fimble stands torn, not sure what to do.
    Aid and protect... Who do I protect? Who needs me most? I promised to help guard these merchants and I cannot back down on that promise. Besides Gwen is a paladin... of sorts. And both her and Felix are able warriors. More than I, even.
    Almost dizzy with emotion, Fimble eventually sits down, left with nothing but waiting and hoping for the best.

If nothing happens over the next hours, he will eventually grab some food and ask if anyone wants to join him down the coloured cave.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Nearly a half an hour goes by in relative silence as the merchants chew on bread and crayfish.

When Fimble makes his suggestion, most of the merchants seem to wave off the notion of exploring the cave any further. Jarvis, who has been fidgeting with his equipment the whole time looks up from his work.

"I'd go with you Fimble. It beats suffering through boredom here, though I can't say I'm any kind of expert on caves."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A strange roar echoes off the mouth of the cave. At first it sounds like the bear has returned, until you realize it's one of the cubs who has started whining. It is a horrible grunting, screaming sound, not quite as deep as a grown bear, but surprisingly loud.

After a few shrieks like this, the others start to join in, as they get restless and start crawling all over each other sniffing the air.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Feddin sighs, bored. He goes towards the back of the cave to check it out, see if there's any way down deeper into the cave.

Spoiler
    Show

Search (1d20+1)[3]

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

My god that is grating after the second shriek, Oscar wanders over the restless cubs. "What is the matter with you?" as Oscar does his best to examine the cubs, "Are you perhaps hungry or thirsty or..."

If Fimble is still in the area
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fimble keep watch for me while I look at the cubs. They might require attention, but I worry that mother is in the area. If that is the case we must prepare to drive her away while not causing her significant injury.

If Fimble is not in the area
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oscar will examine the cubs while keeping a sharp eye on the area outside the cave.

DM Spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Requesting a knowledge nature check
    A spot for anything outside the cave (1d20)[6]
    A listen check for anything outside the mouth of the cave (1d20)[15]
    Character Sheets

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The whining of the bear cubs and the pounding of the storm make it nearly impossible to hear anything. The rain hasn't let up, so it's still pouring sheets, but the odd flash of lightning reveals rising waters and empty landscapes. The roads will be congested with mud and debris in the morning.

Oscar's Knowledge Check: (1d20)[3]
    (You're welcome to roll your own, if you prefer, but here's how I'd roll it.)

Spoiler
    Show
    General: +4 (7)
    As far as you can tell, these cubs aren't giving any clear signs of their needs. Perhaps they are frightened? Miss their mother? Hungry? Cold? Bored? They don't seem to be getting hostile though, but the whining does seem very insistent.
    Arcane: +8 (11)
    Nothing in your schooling of the arcane has prepared you for the burden of motherhood.
    Nobility: +8 (11)
    Your knowledge of bears as royal pets or guardians is somewhat basic. As you recall, they are generally quite docile. But then, they are also fully grown. Perhaps the cubs are more vocal and energetic, then settle down over the years they grow old, just like human youth.
    Nature: +8 (11)
    Although your knowledge of bears and their needs may be limited, you are aware that babies of nearly all variety of mammal need their mothers for warmth, milk, protection, comfort, food and nurturing. At the moment, these cubs are getting none of those things. Perhaps if all, or at least one, of these needs were met, they might calm down for a while.
    Religion: +8 (11)
    Religious teaching of bears has more to do with their symbolic value as sources of strength, protection, and nobility. You can't remember anything particularly useful in theological passages about the needs of bear cubs.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-02 at 03:21 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #480

Gwen's eyes widen with concern when she hears the roars over the thundering storm. Her muscles tense as she worries that she was to late and that her companions were locked in battle with the bear again. She cautiously approaches the cave trying to listen for the sounds of her friends' shouts racking her mind about everything she had ever heard about bears wondering how to deal with this problem.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen check! (1d20+2)[14]
    Knowledge check! (can I have mine like Oscar's pwease pwease pwease?) (1d20+1)[11]
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show