New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

At the cubs whining Oscar finally breaks, he puts some strips of dry meat on the ground as he sits down, "Now young Ursidaes, let's all relax and enjoy some fine treats until we quiet down. Please cease your cries, they are grating." As he tries to draw the cubs attention.

DM

Spoiler
    Show
    Well let's see
    (1d20+1)[5] charisma check or
    (1d20+1)[21] handle animal (if it's untrained)

With the goal of having them stop crying
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gwen and Felix approach the cave to find Oscar attempting to placate the cubs with trail rations.

@Gwen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, miss, but you have no ranks in any Knowledge categories. Without them, you only qualify for common knowledge about bears, which is generally that they are big, hairy, vicious and territorial cave dwellers.

General Intelligence (DC 10): These are the bear cubs that caused you to leave the cave in the first place. They don't seem to be attacking anyone though. They are probably just frightened or hungry.

The whining subsides a bit as the cubs inspect the dried meat. Each of them take their turn sniffing at it and pushing it around the rain-soaked rock with their muzzles until one of them loses interest in it enough to move away. The other cub finally takes its prize in one hungry gulp, but make a weird coughing sound and paws at its face in displeasure after it eats.

The whining soon continues. The bear that refused the ration seems to be heading towards the cave exit, head low in a defensive posture. Each time it gets to the exit, the rain splashes onto its head and it retreats, shaking its head to dismiss the sudden unpleasant combination of cold and wet. After three attempts at braving the rain, lighting scars the sky again, following by a huge crash of thunder. He surrenders to the awesome wrath of nature and sits back down to howl some more.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-07 at 01:48 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Ehh, I am really sorry Alfie, but I think you understand that I need to do this." Says Felix as he takes out some of the fresher meat, which he bought to feed Alfie. He cuts the meat preparing one portion for each cub and gives them the food, so they calm down.

Then he turns to others "We found another cave, largest threat there is a bunch of bats and rats. Are you ready to go?" he says, looking somewhat tired.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The presence of the enormous dog intrigues them some. The bear that didn't take the ration still isn't eating, but the other bear tries the ration, and then follows the first bear to inspect Alfie. The two of them wobble over to him and begin to sniff and make less abrasive sounds. Alfie proceeds to attempt to sniff their hindquarters.

Alfie drops a paw on one of them to make them hold still. The cub tumbles over and bats at Alfie with a fluffy paw. The two spend a moment to observe each other, then the cub sneezes and yawns.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

"A new cave excellent. We should prepare for travel posthaste!" He raises his voice, so that it echoes impressively in the cave. Sounding like a much larger man Oscar says, "Gentlemen if you please prepare your carts, we will be evacuating the cave. My colleagues have located another cave suitable for the night. One much less likely to have an angry, hungry, insane with worry mother bear."
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The merchants grumble a bit, but round up their gear dutifully and get ready for another venture out in the rain.

But the rain has had time to soften the ground considerably by now, and travel with the wagons and carts has become laborious. The soupy earth sucks at the wheels and grabs at the mules hooves. Lightning shears the sky like a razor, revealing mudslides on a dismal landscape. The bears continue their howling and whining, and you can make out their cries for a great distance away.

Roll the following, please:
    Spot
    Balance
    Survival
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix leads others, riding on Alfie... and keeping rope ready, just in case...

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+7)[20]
    Balance (Alfie) (1d20+6)[17]
    Survival: (1d20+3)[18]

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Immediately chilled by the drenching rain and splattered mud, Oscar kept a vigilant watch as the group traveled through the storm

Spoiler
    Show

Balance (1d20+1)[6]
    Spot (1d20)[11]
    Survival (1d20)[13]
    Character Sheets

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Feddin joins the others outside, looking around at the terrain. He's seen what storms can do in this region but this one was particularly devastating.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+1)[5]
    Balance (1d20+6)[22]
    Survival (1d20+3)[4]

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The land has become unstable. Slips and falls are a regular occurrence, but with quick reflexes, nothing too problematic. Poor Oscar, and several merchants are covered in mud after about a half hour of travel through the slippery terrain though.

A few small sinkholes have begun to form, and serve Felix and Gwen as a sign that they are approaching their intended goal.

@Felix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean it! If you're not playing as Felix, move along. This spoiler is for Felix (Lexin):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning hammers the ground less than 50 feet from you, illuminating a strange silhouette in the distance of a human. Then lightning smites the earth again, revealing the human drawing closer to you... like a strange slide show. But when the third strike occurs, the silhouette is gone.

It takes another 20 minutes to get there though, since the ground is so treacherous at this point. When you get there, you see what Gwen and Felix meant about the rodents. The rabbits, badgers, rats, raccoons have all filed into this cave for shelter. Foxes and deer huddle on opposite sides of the cave as well. The place seems as if Noah's Ark, through some extreme navigational error had been embedded into the mountainside.

The animals scurry away from your presence and make enough room for you and your group to make it inside your new shelter.

Spoiler
    Show
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show

Felix rides closer to see if there is a sink hole in the place where the figure vanished, if not then:

"Umm... I think I saw someone outside... But he vanished... so maybe it is just a hunger hallucination?" He asks others for opinion, a bit of hope in his voice. He likes when food solves problems...

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

12. - Top - End - #492
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Someone outside?" Gwen says with worry in her tone. "Any chance you could describe what you saw? In case its not just hunger."
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"There isn't much to describe... The lightening struck and I saw a human figure... I wouldn't even mention it... but it happened twice!
    The problem is, that when I came closer there was nobody there already!"

Says Felix, looking for food, so he could get rid of the 'hunger hallucinations'... or at least, to simply feel better.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

14. - Top - End - #494

"I guess who ever is on watch will just have to be sure to keep a keen eye on the entrance, just in case." Gwen sits down, the hard day catching up with her. She was feeling especially rough and by now was longing for a warm dry blanket and sweet sweet sleep. "How do we want to split up the watch tonight?" she asked as she pulled out some rations from her bag.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The merchants set about to tending to their merchandise, this time everyone, even Jarvis is in low spirits. The rain and mud made for a miserable last leg of the journey and they were all ready to drop from exhaustion.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"I will take the first watch" says Felix in weary tone... as he eats something...

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

17. - Top - End - #497
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar sat motionless as his glazed eyes stare into te flickering flame. "I'll take the last watch, as I require a night of uninterrupted rest."

Just.....why mud why? I used my only cleaning spell....on the merchants and their shabby wares...
    Character Sheets

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Everyone settles in for the night, and most of the merchants quickly fall asleep. Several of them have their clothes stretched out near the fire to dry off, and their snores create a percussive thrum that echoes ominously throughout the cave, giving it the sound of a large growling beast.

@Felix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rest of the day passes fairly quietly. The other denizens of the cave seem to leave you be, except for the odd bug that attempts to crawl into your hair or up your pants leg.

The storm is also letting up a bit, giving some hope that tomorrow won't be as bleak as today was.

Still, one particularly long flash of lightning grants you an opportunity to see out in the dark. As you look out the cave, you see the silhouette again, this time much closer, and clearly standing to face your cave. Details are difficult to discern, but it roughly appears to be a woman, and perhaps some kind of warrior. Regardless, she makes no further attempt to approach you, nor does she appear to be aggressive in any way. In fact, when the next flash of lightning strikes, she has vanished yet again.

Gwen is crumpled up in a miserable mess and Feddin is meditating quietly near the fire, lost in his elvish reverie. Neither one of them volunteered for a watch. Jarvis and his assistant are up, tinkering with the wagon with the damaged axle and quietly discussing their chances of making it to Port Llast with a bad axle.

Do you wish to chose someone to take a shift on the watch, or run a double shift?
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

When Felix shift ends, he walks to wake up Gwen.
    "Your turn now. ... But watch out, I've seen this strange person again... and it wasn't hunger hallucination this time... I ate a lot to prevent this one...

All I can tell is that it was a human woman... maybe some sort of a ghost?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Gwen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're nudged awake by Felix.

Your shift begins with the soft tinkering of Jarvis and his assistant on the damaged wagon axle. The previous pounding of the thunderstorm has subsided into a steady snare drum-like patter that is hypnotic and soothing.

Some of the rats have gotten the better of some of the merchants supplies, and made off with some food rations, and you notice a raccoon pop his head out of your pack with a mouthful of trail rations. He seems to be struggling, and you notice that he's gotten tangled up in your silk rope. He sees you seeing him and squeaks in fear, doubling his effort to escape which of course only tightens the rope around him.

(One of your rations have been spoiled, please adjust your Character Sheet)
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

21. - Top - End - #501

Gwen resists the urge to whine about it being her turn for watch and gets up feeling weary. When she finds the raccoon tangled in her bag she kinda sighs to herself feeling that it was very fitting for the kind of day she was having. "Hold still little guy." Gwen says as soothingly as she can while trying to untangle it from her bag. "Got yourself completely tangled up, how did you even manage that?" She asks it while carefully removing it from the ropes, keeping an eye on it in case it tries to bite. After successfully freeing the raccoon from her pack she sees the spoiled rations. "Might as well take this, I can't use it now." she says gently tossing the food towards where the bandit scampered off too.

Gwen then turns her attention to the various aches and bruises from her day. The fall into the sinkhole earlier had not been fun and she tried rubbing some of the pain out of her neck.
    Heal check
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[21]
    If successful heals (1d4)[1]

After taking that as far as she can realistically go Gwen then turns her attention to watching the mouth of the cave. It had been a curious thing what Felix described and Gwen wondered what sort of women would stand out in the rain watching them. She decided to light her lamp and walk to the mouth of the cave and look out.
    Spot and listen
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+2)[11]!
    Listen (1d20+2)[22]!

She looks out trying to discern the shapes out in the darkness. "If someone's watching us it can't hurt to try calling out" she thinks and then does just that.
    "Hello?" she tries awkwardly trying to call out yet be quite enough to not wake the others up. "Anyone out there? It might be nice to get out of the rain."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gwen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Might b' nice to get out of th' rain, ye say." You hear a grating, raspy voice say behind you, followed with a low chuckle.

When you look behind you, you see a short, ugly gnomish looking fellow munching on the rations you threw towards the raccoon, who is sitting on the creature's shoulder nibbling at whatever the creature hands him.

The creature's skin is jaundiced and covered in warts and moles. His hair is a clayish red and his clothes are worn and dirty; he casts a shadow that is disproportionate to his height, even beyond any trick of the campfire light.

Spoiler
    Show

He looks up you with inquisitive eyes. "I'm surprised she ain't killed ye yet. She's in a bit of a mood t'night, that one," he continues in that harsh, awful whisper.

Once he's done with the crumbs that you tossed, he begins foraging in your pack for more while the raccoon chitters excitedly and runs across the gnomish creature's shoulder.

Jarvis is still up, messing with the axle, but until now was too engrossed in his work to notice anything or be noticed by anyone.

"What was that, Gwen? I can't hear you under this infernal wagon." he says as he crawls out from his work. "What in blazes?" he gasps as he looks upon the creature, recoiling as he holds his wrench close.

The creature twists his head at an angle and observes Jarvis. The creature sniffles once and wipes his nose as he considers the oddly dressed merchant.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-17 at 07:55 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #503

Gwen immediately flips on detect evil and says "Now Jarvis, don't panic." Gwen says calmly studying the creature before her. "I am Gwen Bennett, I am a paladin of the Elear Freedom Order. Might I inquire as to who you are?" She asks politely wondering what sort of creature this is before her and what his intentions are, besides munching away all her rations.

Spoiler
    Show

General Int check to identify this guy (1d20+1)[3]!
    So I have no idea, fun.
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2012-12-17 at 07:22 PM.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gwen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature observes the exchange with the same passive expression one would use while watching a play. He pulls a long fingered hand out of Gwen's pack, his fingers clinging to more dried rations. Slowly and calmly he puts the rations in his hair-rimmed mouth. His long bushy mustache bounces to the rhythm of his chewing.

You detect no presence of evil. The raccoon dips his nose into the creatures hands.

"Who'm I?" He asks, his voice still raspy and unpleasant. "Ye could say I'm th' keep'r of this here cave." He takes another bite of ration and the raccoon protests. "It's not all yors, Blinky," he chides at the raccoon. He offers an amused grin to Gwen and Jarvis. "Greedy lil' creatures, aren't they? Always dippin' their lil' nosies where it don' b'long."

He nods over to Felix. "I saw yer mate proddin' around me home not so long ago. Figured you'd want to bunk up in 'ere for the night. Can't say I blame ye. But it's a bit funny, you chose t'hide in stone from her. Might as well hide from guards inside a jail cell, am I right?" His grin is unnerving, and his eyes are mischievous. But in spite of the liberties he seems to be taking with your supplies, he's done nothing to harm you or anyone.

You do notice however, that the other denizens of the cave have closed in around you, forming a circle around your camp.

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and roll listen checks with the standard penalty for sleeping. Feddin, since you're not technically sleeping, I don't think you take any penalties.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-17 at 07:54 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

25. - Top - End - #505

"I'm not sure I understand, who is the woman outside?" Gwen asks cautiously taking a sideways glance out the cave (with detect evil on).
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Listen Check
    (1d20+1)[7]

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You sense some disturbance in your reverie, but it's too subtle to be worthy of your full attention. After all, the person on watch would surely rouse you if it were serious.

@Gwen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detect no evil presence.

The creature laughs again. Slowly. "Ye needn't fear her t'night. She an' I have... an und'rstandin', if ye will. She saw what you did in the cave of the bear. A nasty trick that was. Th' cubs'll surely die if the mother doen't think to return to her abandoned home." He feeds a nearby rabbit some of the treats from your pack.

"Still, I think I c'n manage to get 'em reunited proper. Blinky 'ere thought maybe we was just misund'rstandin' ye. So, I put ye' all to a test, I did. She's got 'er own testin' t'do, and her own reas'ns fer doin' so, but fer t'night... yer mine."

A fox closes in and digs into Felix's pack for some meat.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

*Snore*

Spoiler
    Show
    Felix Listen (1d20-1)[8]
    Alfie Listen (1d20-5)[15]

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

29. - Top - End - #509
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar tosses and turns in his sleep. He mutters, "Need to shorten the left leg.."

Spoiler
    Show

Listen with negative ten: (1d20-10)[7]
    Character Sheets

30. - Top - End - #510

Gwen was feeling a little confused by what the man was saying but she didn't think he was going to expand on that anymore. She didn't feel like he was a threat so she carried on talking to the creature. "We didn't realize that it was it was a bear family when our wizard had scared off the mama bear. I do hope that they are reunited, I felt pretty awful when I found out there were cubs in the cave."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show