New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

Alfie awakens and emits a low growl. But then, when he sees the Gnomish creature, he stares at it in confusion, shuffling its paws. The hairy little man turns to the dog with a passive expression and tosses some meat towards him.

Alfie catches the morsel midair in his mouth. "Good doggie," he rasps. Then he takes an interest in the merchants wares.

"Y- you stay out of there." Jarvis admonishes, still whispering. "I'll rouse my bodyguards."

The creature looks up at Jarvis. "Ye enter my home, uninvited, and ye can't even offer a gift o' thanks? Surely me hospital'ty's worthy of a," he holds his index finger and thumb about a centimeter apart, "small boon."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar continues to toss about in his bedding muttering quietly, "Yes the marmalade is quite delicious, exquisite even...oh you are a naughty chef......pastry...pants.." He then rolls back over growing silent once more.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Zzzzzz....... Cookies....
    ...Baked Rabbit...
    ...Zzzzz.... Ag troid ar son na saoirse!"

*turning to the other side*
    "Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz"

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As Feddin sits meditating he makes almost no noises other than the occasional inhale and exhale. He is sitting legs crossed, his bare feet over his knees, and his hands clasped together in his lap. He takes little notice to the others, quite used to the sounds of the wild at night. The sounds of his new companions muttering in there sleep has little difference.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would I get a reroll hearing Alfie growl briefly?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gwen concerned about friction between the merchants and their host? tries to step in between the two. "He's just worried about his merchandise, it is his living." Gwen says soothingly to the creature. "I however have some cookies that I can share. Um what do you we call you by the way?"
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Call me?" The creature looks around, getting a bit nervous about the fact that Gwen's friends seem to be waking up. His breathing becomes light and shallow and sweat beads on his wrinkled forehead. "I've linger'd too long. Ye can stay the night, if ye don't hurt me friends. They jus' want out o'th'rain's all."

With that, he scampers off back into the dark of the cave. Gwen, is left alone again, though the animals seem to be much more comfortable around you and the company's equipment.

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sudden rush of activity is enough to disturb you from your rest. But when you open your eyes, all you see is Jarvis with a confused expression on his have, Gwen holding out a cookie, and a bunch of animals rummaging through your goods looking for tidbits to eat. A cave mouse pops out of your backpack to see what the commotion is all about.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

7. - Top - End - #517

Gwen feels relieved a bit at the creature's exit but still concerned about what he had said about the mysterious woman outside. She looks to Feddin who has stirred from his mediation. "Are you done with your rest?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

He nods, looking at the cave mouse. "Enjoying yourself little guy? Make sure you leave me with some." He chuckles and stands, stretching out and going to the cave entrance to check out the weather.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The mouse twitches it's nose, then scampers free of Feddin's pack.

The rain has settled some since you slipped into your meditation. The flashes of lightning are less frequent, and the storm has settled into a gentle rain.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After several minutes, Jarvis finally settles down and goes to sleep. But first he sets up a complex web of string and bells over the entrance of his wagon to protect his wares.

Lightning flashes in the distance. The storm will be gone soon. But towards the end of the flash, you see a face... a beautiful woman, but not human.

Spoiler
    Show

Her eyes sparkle like jewels, and her visage is stern and focused. Even in the rain, her hair possesses a life, and it wavers and rolls, in long white locks like snow-capped mountain powder does in a windstorm. She rests a hand on the mouth of the cave and studies the group you stand watch over.

You recognize her--not by name, but by reputation and in some cases, by sight. Some say she is a guardian angel. Others claim she is a demon. But all who have seen her and lived to tell of her alien beauty agree that it is unwise to provoke her wrath.

You have met her enough times to breach an obvious language barrier between the two of you, but she has never put forth the effort to learn the tongue of the elves.

Instead she studies you, then your group. She raises an eyebrow inquisitively, as if to say, Of all the people I expected to find in here..."

She doesn't enter but she leans into the cave and whispers.

"La wgvvi'wy ili'g'uay iryaephlalj folaw yii'glfaelal li'io?"

There is a strange expression in her eyes that you've not seen before.

Alfie twitches again and the strange female turns her gaze toward the dog, then she recedes into the shadow of the night until the sparkly of her gemstone eyes are all that can be seen.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-30 at 04:15 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

He looks about at the others, offering a brief shrug to her questioning look. He slinks as silently as he can out of the cave to slip into the shadows, leaning up against a wall. he gives her a courteous nod before speaking.

"I found them being attacked by the bandits down the path. They seem to be a group of adventurers guarding these merchants on their way to the next city. The storm last night, it was stronger than I was expecting this time of the seasons. What do you know of that?"

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling for move silently: (1d20+4)[20]

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman looks at you with a vague expression. "Ili'g yiyael foy wfi'uayi? La oaek li'folalj fi' ki' iolafo foaef." You can't tell if she's being coy or sincere, but she's acting innocent about the storm, though her actions suggest she may have played a roll in the earthen traps, like falling boulders and sinkholes that accompanied the storm. She smiles and places a calming hand on your chest. "Pgf las ili'g aeuay fuaaephyirlalj iolafo foyyi, La woaeirir li'f oaeuayi foyyi folaw llajof. La fuagwf ili'gua ugkjyyiylf fi' wfyyua foyyi i'ss folaw yii'glfaelal."

Her face is impassive but there is a tenderness in the touch. If this creature could ever call anyone a friend, that one would be you. Even though the two of you have rarely ever interacted, she's never attempted to kill you, and frequently allows you to see her. You suspect that she may have even helped you a time or two out in the mountain. She furrows her brow as she struggles to say the next few words. To your surprise, you recognize them, at least some of them, as Elvish.

"Aey... cailela el anira... ahh, iooaef'w foy ioi'uak-- laam wila?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman shakes her head, not quite understanding what you mean.

"Ki' ili'g yiyael foy spriggan?"
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-01-04 at 03:50 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feddin pauses, tapping the wall to think. He speaks, choosing to use elven instead in hopes that the meaning of his words would make more sense. He spokes as slowly as he can, making a point to gesture as well without seeming condescending at least. "Amin auta ie'yeste'kalina. Nan'... manka lle irma amin il auta, lle kwentra amin." He smiles warmly, reaching up and gingerly placing a hand on hers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Translation: I am leaving at first light. But... if you want me to stay, you tell me.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman listens to the words trying to interpret them to the best of her ability. Then after a few moments, shakes her head and smiles.

"Li'io La iolawo La'k iryf foaef spriggan fyaeao yiy ai'yiyii'l."

She holds up her hand, gesturing for you to wait a moment. Then, she melts into the rock and disappears for many moments. When she finally returns, she has an assistant in tow, a sputtering, filthy gnome-like creature. "What in blazes?! Ye daft witch! What've I ever done to y-" he looks up from dusting the dirt and clay off his body to notice you standing there.

"La uaykhglauay ae fuaaelwiraefi'ua." the woman states calmly.

The gnomish looking stares at the two of you with a bewildered expression. "She wants me to translate. I don't know who ye think ye are seeking parlay with her kind, but I recommend ye start talkin. With a thought, she could collapse this whole cave."

Group:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One more shot at a listen check. Reduce the penalty by four.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar's hands gently tap on his chest as he continues his deep slumber.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show

Listen check: (1d20)[14]
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feddin smirks and gives a nod. "I am well aware of such things, thank you for your warning. Please tell her that I am traveling with these adventurers after helping them deal with the bandits down the path. We will probably be leaving at dawn, and I plan to join them so I can see the world a bit, I have isolated myself on the mountain for some time and need to indulge in some wanderlust. However, if she wishes me to stay, I will, for her." He looks at her as he speaks, smiling a little as he finishes his summation of the near future events.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gnome-like creature translates, and the woman considers the words calmly, but a slight raise of her eyebrow betrays surprise and perhaps a bit of longing. She takes a deep breath to consider her words, then feeds her response to the little fellow.

He takes a moment, looking from her to you. "She says that she is honored by your offer to remain, but to fulfill your wanderlust first. Return to her at your journey's end if you wish to seek a life here, for you are always welcome in her mountain." He seems a bit uncomfortable with this exchange.

"Do, uh... do you two know each other, or something?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The conversation carries on for several minutes. You discover that the creature is an Oread, a member of the fey that is bound to a mountain. It is their duty to defend their homes from miners and despoilers. She attacked you initially, because you separated the bear from its cubs, but after seeing Feddin again, she assumes the whole thing was a misunderstanding. You are welcome to take shelter for the night, but she warns your group not to make this mountain a home. She's got enough on her hands with the bandits and the goblins. Still, she invites Feddin to return when he is done with his adventures. The group can't help but notice a hint of affection from the oread towards Feddin, perhaps a deep friendship or something even more. She leaves you be for the night, and you strangely experience no more mudslides, sinkholes, etc for the rest of the night.

The morning sun battles the gray sky for dominance in the early springtime dawn. The clouds are low and fat in the sky, promising more rain later in the day, but for now, it's only drizzling lightly. The roads will be muddy, and the going slow, but it's safe to travel for now at least.

@Feddin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find a stone tablet next to your pack in the morning. It has carved writing on it using elven runes, but the writing style is ancient, and you cannot read the language. Next to it, is a necklace with an uncut stone in the middle of it. The design is wild in appearance, but beautiful in its own strange way.

You hear a slight stirring in Richard's wagon. The head of a gnomish looking fellow pops up, looking a little groggy. There is an empty bottle of wine next to him.

"My wine!" Richard shouts angrily at the hungover creature. "My precious Garnet Wine! Get the hell out of my cart!" The gnome's eyes pop open wide as he scurries free of the cart, keeping the cart between him and Richard as they engage in a game of cat and mouse around it.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

20. - Top - End - #530

Gwen drags her weary frame out from her beautiful beautiful sleep to find out what the commotion is and is surprised to see two grown men running around a cart like a couple of children. "Stop both of you, what is going on here?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Feddin smiles, putting the necklace on and tucking the stone in his tunic. He wordlessly puts the stone tablet inside his pack, and looks over at the commotion, a single brow raised. "What is this now? More unexpected visitors?"

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Feddin and Gwen recognize the gnomish looking creature from the night before. He runs behind Gwen for protection.

"That little bastard stole my wine!" Richard protests, pointing at the wretched creature hiding behind the paladin.

"I ain't no bastard! Yer a bastard!" the creature shakes an angry fist at Richard then ducks behind Gwen again.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar stretches as the dampened morning sun shines down on his face. He sits up, staring out into the surrounding countryside. "Ah The land and I are rejuvenated." Soon the moment of his gentle peace is shattered by Richard and an unidentified gnome.

He raises his voice to ensure the creature could hear him, "You drank Mr.Richard's wine in his own cart without his permission or knowledge, ergo you are a thief. While no court of law, to my knowledge, hold jurisdiction over this particular land. If a court of some sort does, the enforcement is nonexistent." he pauses a moment as he retrieves his spell book, "Thus the decision of your punishment, and the execution of said punishment, is entirely up to us. First, what is your name? Do you have any particular skills or abilities that can be useful for the remaining trip of our journeying you do I wood present these as mitigating factors." he then gestures to the merchants and other present, " I'll let the group arrive at a consensus, meanwhile i sell be preparing spells." He then excuse himself to go mediate on the nature of the arcane.
    Character Sheets

24. - Top - End - #534

Gwen stands between the angry merchant and creature her hands still up as if to calm this tricky situation. She listens to Oscar's disjointed questioning and watches him stroll away mildly confused. She collects her thoughts and says "Okay as a paladin of Elear Freedom Order I think I can handle this situation. Richard how much was that wine worth?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Richard's face is red with fury. "That was my finest bottle! 90 gold pieces, I could've fetched for that vintage, and this disgusting little gnome drank it down like common table wine!"

The gnomish creature returns a skeptical eye at Richard. "Bah! I might've believed ya if ya claimed half that," the little fellow retorts before sticking his tongue out.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix opens his eyes and looks around half asleep. His face doesn't show any sign of active thinking as he looks the gnome and wine situation.
    ... it looks so unreal and amusing that he actually thinks he could be still dreaming. He muses for a second if the price of 90 gp for a wine bottle is a probable one...
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+3)[23]

Appraise: (1d20+0)[13]

...he stands up and walks closer to others to help Gwen.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2013-01-21 at 05:34 AM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Felix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get the strong feeling that the gnomish looking fellow is smarting off more than anything, but it's difficult to tell if the merchant is exaggerating the value of his wine. Either way, one should always suspect a merchant of overselling the value of his merchandise at least a little. Between the two, the merchant's evaluation of the wine is most likely the closest to honest.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"I really doubt that you could buy this kind of wine for only 45 gp. I am afraid that you really just drank a small fortune, my friend..."

Says Felix, looking at the gnomish creature.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The little guy looks to Felix with a defensive glare. "Who asked ya? Come into my home like ya own the place, offerin' nothin as a boon in return. Ya should feel lucky I let ya stay at all! So I took a sip, what's it to ya?"

Richard's face is beet red, "A SIP?! You drank the whole blasted thing!" His fists are clinched as he begins to charge after the gnomish creature, who ducks behind Gwen yet again. Some of the other merchants attempt to restrain Richard.

At this point Jarvis is finally awake and falls out of his carriage brandishing his dagger. "What's all this? What's going-" He blinks a few times until everything comes into focus. "Oh... that little thieving fellow is back." His lips curl into a deep frown, as if he'd just bitten into something with a terrible flavor. "What's he want now?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar returns from his meditation, distinctly irritated at the lack of peace that hinder his preparations."Conflict is undesirable in the morning. The day will be long, and being soured will make it longer still." He eyes the small thief incredulously after Jarvis' comment. He rubs his temple as he says, "You repeatedly still wares from merchants on this route? While stupid it does imply a certain familiarity with the land and some skill of sorts." Turning to Jarvis Oscar proposes, "Mr.Jarvis we have sustained losses to our forces. While disposing of this gentleman might bring about a certain carnal pleasure, it is unwise to waste resources...Even unwanted resources."

He turns to the creature, "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Oscar Arceneau, a wizard employed by these merchants to escort them to their destination. While I admit we did stay in your...home, I assure you it was unintentional. You are well within your right to demand a reasonable boon, taking Richard's expensive wine is not appropriate. The cost of the wine would allow all of us to rest in luxury for at least 3-4 days. So consider this offer. You guide us to the first leg of our destination, using your knowledge of the land, its fauna and whatever other skills you posses. Then you simply return to your abode. Otherwise...Well I suppose Richard can tenderize you for Alfie. He does require substantial amounts of meat... "

DM
    Spoiler
    Show

A combination of diplomacy and intimidate?
    (1d20+2)[21] Diplomacy
    (1d20-2)[5] Intimidate
    (1d20+1)[19] Bluff (if needed)

Last edited by Jungian; 2013-01-25 at 06:16 PM.
    Character Sheets