New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Random Adventures IC (D&D 3.5)

At the Jail House:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those of you still there see the door swing wide and Oscar cross the threshold. He looks a bit upset.

Back at the Inn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The doorman let's you in and bows stiffly. You see a large man behind the counter of the lobby scribbling into a book. Maids fuss over their final cleaning duties, and patrons appear to be retiring to their rooms. The large man looks up to you and smiles. "May I help you, young lady?"
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-06-04 at 11:21 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fanter moves like a well-oiled machine to Oscar's side, holding out a hand to take his hat and cloak.

"Good afternoon, sir. We've recovered your coin purse with a minimum of fuss. I do apologize for the delay."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar quietly slips his cloak off, ensuring it's properly folded before handing it to Fanter. As he does, Oscar leans closer to Fanter and speaks in a rough quiet tone ensuring only Fanter could hear, "A delay would have been tolerable, Fanter... What possessed you to engage in a public brawl? The officer came to the hotel to inform me you were here. You should consider yourself fortunate to not be in incarcerated at the moment. This is absolutely reprehensible behavior for a servant of mine, and I will not tolerate any business of this sort again in the future. Is that understood?" He sighs a bit as his hands rub his chin, he continues again though in a more forgiving tone, "Fanter, I believe we have grown closer over the last several months. I know you are not the sort of man to go around randomly starting brawls. I was told of this...event...but nothing else. Please inform me of the context of the situation so I may render a more accurate judgement." He looks around at the officers scattered around, "Though perhaps this conversation would be more appropriate in a semblance of privacy. You will explain as we return to our lodgings. We also have guests for our evening meal, it is short notice but I'll help you prepare."

Raising his voice slightly, "Would someone be so kind as to direct me to whoever holds my property. I do not mean to be rude, but I have prior engagements that require my attention."

Fanter
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't want to be to hard on you.
    Please feel free to rp our walk back to the inn, Oscar is completely in the dark about the entire situation. So feel free to explain.
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-06-04 at 11:51 PM.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

4. - Top - End - #94

RedWizardGuy

"Of course, sir. My apologies."

Fanter's simple nod is practiced and contrite, and without any further word he slips into his customary place one step behind and one step to the right of his employer.

On the road back to the Inn,
    Spoiler
    Show

"My apologies again, sir. I had no intention of involving violence, but a large half-ogre was charging at me meaning to run past me with your purse, and I simply couldn't allow that."

Fanter pauses for a moment, as if considering how frank to be with his master.

"Honestly, sir, he should count himself lucky he only lost a tooth when I stopped his charge. The little beggar boy cutting your purse is one thing, sir, but a massive ruffian like that shaking down children for money is entirely unacceptable."

Another brief pause.

"If you don't mind me saying, that is, sir. And there's certainly no call for you to assist in the evening meal, sir. I can manage to complete it in time despite Neverwinter's best efforts to the contrary, I imagine. How many will be joining us?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

At the Inn

Gwen holds her pack with one hand and rests the other on the counter and smiles at the man and responds,
    "Yes I need a room for at least the night, possibly a few days," her stomach interrupts with a loud rumble, "and dinner. Is there is anything you'd recommend?"
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fimble follows the others back to the inn, a feeling of unease growing in his stomach. He looks back repeatedly, unsure of what this big city means to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    detect evil, and spot check to see if they are followed.
    (1d20+1)[6]

Once at the inn, Fimble checks in with the innkeeper for a standard room, preferably close to the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

On the road to the inn

Spoiler
    Show

Oscar listens carefully as Fanter relays the impetus for his actions. As Fanter concludes his story Oscar says, "I may have spoken unfairly Fanter, and for that I apologize. Your method, while somewhat unrefined, was absolutely necessary at the moment. I do not expect nor desire you to stand by as a child, even a cutpurse, is being attacked. Though it is somewhat sad that the boy is forced into a life of crime at such a young age. I also commend you on your strength of body and character, I'm sure there are not many men who are capable or willing to stop a charging half-ogre." Oscar focus his attention on Fanter's shield for a moment. The gore that had obscured the shield's brilliant sheen fades away, leaving no trace as polish metal reflects the ambient light of the street.

When Fanter informs Oscar his help is not necessary, Oscar nods his head in acceptance, "We will have two guest this evening, the proprietor Sir Grim and his daughter at 10 o'clock. I promised a fine meal of your roasted duck. I feel I should mention that Sir Grim suit is in need of alterations, which I will require your assistance with in the morning. Please be discrete on the matter , as his daughter created that suit specfically for him. She has recently started taking up the needle, and I must say her first work was rather impressive."

Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

(Inn)

Felix emerges from behind the counter...
    "Yes, dinner is a really, really good idea."
    He says with a wide smile .

"Ah, a room would be useful too..."

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

9. - Top - End - #99

RedWizardGuy

On the road back to the inn,
    Spoiler
    Show

Fanter inclines his head in agreement, his mind already planning the meal behind the still facade of his professional expression.

"You're too kind, sir, I'm sure any gentleman's gentleman would've done the same. And as for the proprietor's suit, as always I am happy to assist."

The pair comes up to the door of the inn and ascends the stairs after Fanter holds the door open for his employer. As they enter Oscar's room, Fanter makes an almost imperceptible noise of disapproval and goes over to straighten the corners of the bedsheets slightly until they meet some mysterious satisfactory angle.

"Well, sir, if you'll excuse me, I have preparations to make. I expect I shall be in the kitchen downstairs, so you may of course ring if you need anything."

The half-elf gives another small bow before closing the door behind him.

Downstairs at the Inn,
    Spoiler
    Show

Fanter comes to the front desk of the inn, politely ringing the bell once to get the attention of the proprietor.

"Excuse me, sir, I am Master Arceneau's valet. I would like to make use of your kitchen so that I may prepare the evening meal. Do you have any fresh duck on hand, or should I stop by the marketplace?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Grim smiles politely, "Yes my lady. Rooms are 5 sp per night, though we have special upgraded rooms for 2 gp per ni-" He starts a bit when he sees Felix's head pop up from behind the counter. "Ah... my apologies. I didn't see you there!"

"As I was saying," he says after a moment's pause, "It's 2 gp per night for the deluxe rooms. Our kitchen is closing for the night, but we have some soup left. I can have a meal brought to your rooms, if you'd like. 2 copper each, since it's not fresh made. I'll add it to your tab." He begins scribbling up some more notes. "Your names?"

As the rest of you arrive at the door, a lovely young woman strides out and begins scribbling out a ticket as well to check in Fimble when she sees Fanter ringing the bell. She looks to her father who nods, then she glides over to Fanter with a smile. "Yes, we have some duck in the kitchen. Father told me Master Arceneau was having us over for dinner. I took the liberty of plucking two ducks for the meal. I hope that will be enough. Please walk this way." She guides Fanter through the servant's passageway to the kitchen, which is enormous and immaculate. The chef there is cleaning up for the night and scowls at Fanter. "You may go home for the night, Midge. I'll clean up afterwards." Midge stomps past Fanter and growls, "I run a clean kitchen," then stomps off indignantly with her nose high in the air, as if she'd made her point clear.

The lady smiles apologetically after Midge leaves. "You must forgive Midge. She can be terse, but she's a fine cook and a long time friend of the family."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #101

RedWizardGuy

In the kitchen,

Spoiler
    Show
    Fanter's normally placid expression curves into a small, rare smile.

"Ah, don't concern yourself, miss. Even if I didn't appreciate loyalty and service, the perfect state of this kitchen makes Mrs. Midge top-class in my book. Pardon me, miss."

Fanter slips by and takes the two ducks to the counter, looking around for some seasonings and finding them in a pleasantly well organized drawer. The butler is careful to put them back exactly where he found them, rotating them slightly so the labels all face the same way.

"So, miss, if you don't mind me asking, is Neverwinter always this exciting? I've not been off the boat three hours and I've already had to knock a tooth out of a ruffian on the street."

Cooking roll for the duck ( hope you don't mind that I counted the immaculate kitchen as masterwork tools )
    Spoiler
    Show

Black damn, I try to move the roll spoiler down one line and it freaks out lol. I will just PM you the roll so as not to clutter up the thread with two posts.

* post roll count doesn't match database

12. - Top - End - #102

"Gwen Bennett's the name and the standard room will be fine for me. I'm not sure how long I will be staying and I wouldn't want to tear through all my gold to quickly." Gwen says with a smile. "And soup sounds wonderful, we've been aboard a ship for weeks and I'm glad for anything not made in the galley."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Soup? Soup... Okay, I will take two portions then."

" Ah, I am Felix Lynn... and a simple room will be fine... lets say for 3 days for now."

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

14. - Top - End - #104

"Yes" Fimble says, smiling at the others with great warmth, "soup would be just the thing to rest our nerves after that ordeal. And you may call me Doublebat" he says with a grin.

He looks up at Gwen, furrowing his brows in mock sternness. "And please, my dear. If you do decide to go that Dragon Hoard place, please let me know before you leave. Someone will have to watch over you big folk, and make sure you don't step on more ogrish trouble!"
    And with that he shines a dazzling smile and knocks himself loudly on his tiny torso.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar watched as Fanter disappeared into the kitchens to work his culinary magic. I should retire to the room for the time being.. Oscar makes his way to the room and pauses as he reaches to open the door Ive grown tired of this black coloration, I believe a change is in order. As he enters the room he gravitates toward the mirror, and considers himself for a moment. Struck with inspiration the a dark red color flows from his shoulders down to his boots, when it settles his black clothing has taken on a dark crimson color. A quick turn in the mirror brings a smile to his face, hmm excellent but it is still lacking something but what? I know. As he finishes his thought thin stripes of violet appear on his clothing, each about one inch thick. Satisfied, Oscar goes into his room and grabs his spellbook. He then relaxes on the chaise lounge as he begins to lazily page through the arcane tome.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show

If this is over the top for prestidigitation let me know and I'll edit the post. Though I believe it is a use for it.
    Character Sheets

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

In the Lobby:
    Grim assigns rooms and presents keys. "Arthur will show you to your rooms."

The doorman pops up behind you two as if from thin air. "This way madam and sirs." He takes your luggage and leads each of you to your rooms. They are simple, but clean, with a small but soft bed, a nightstand with a decorative candle, a thick furry rug, an empty wash basin, and a pitcher of water. There is a wardrobe in the room with mirrors inside the doors. There is no art on the wall, but there is a shuttered window on the wall and some heavy curtains. Next to the door is a writing desk with an inkwell, 5 sheets of paper, a quill, an hourglass, and a wax tray. The standard rooms don't have private restrooms, but there is a bathing tub. Arthur shows you the restrooms at the end of the hall. There is also a small wood burning stove and a box full of coal in the corner. It's not enough to cook with, but one could heat water or warm up a room.

After you have a minute to settle in, a maid shows up at your door with some soup.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

17. - Top - End - #107

While waiting for her soup Gwen starts to clean up and getting ready for a night out.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix eats the soup quickly, freshens himself a bit and goes to the lobby to wait for his friends.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

19. - Top - End - #109

After finishing his soup, Fimble joins Felix in the lobby, a nervous smile on his face.
    "So, we're really going to this dragon place, huh?
    Sounds like a place you can easily attract trouble. And I feel like we've done our part with trouble already."
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Felix and Fimble:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your soup was delicious, especially since it has had time to cook slowly. Vitality surges through you as you gobble up your meal with a slice of bread and a chunk of cheese. When you get down to the lobby, the place looks fairly deserted. There is a medium-built, middle-aged man sitting in the corner of the room next to a lantern. He is digging in his ear and humming to himself. He's wearing light armor and appears to be the hotel's security night watch. Grim has left for the evening, and only a few wall candles are still lit, giving the place a drowsy feel. The guard looks up when he sees you and nods.

"You two heading out for the night, then?"

Oscar's Room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a polite knock on the door.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-06-09 at 06:26 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

21. - Top - End - #111

Gwen bounds down stairs with new found vigor and joins up with the group. When she sees Felix and Fimble downstairs, she waves and smiles brightly. "Ready to head out to the Dragon's Lair?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

"Aye." Fimble nods to the watchman, as Gwen bundles down the stairs.
    "And there's our charming cue. I think we're about set, my friend. Though I do hope it will remain a metaphorical name."
    Not really capable of taking Gwen's arm without looking mighty silly, Fimble instead opens the door outside, and holds it for her and Felix. As he does so something suddenly springs to mind.
    "Wait, didn't Terlew also want to come?"
    Last edited by AshesOfOld; 2012-06-09 at 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

To Gwen: "Ready."

To Fimble: "I don't know, I haven't seen her in a while, we could ask I think..."

To the guard: "Have you seen our friend Terlew, sir? She is a gnome, blond hair, clothed in blue and cream colors."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar had been engrossed in a passage in his book, on the merits of using Transmutation to both alter and strengthen a subject simultaneously. Hmm, this is quite complex but the benefits seem to outweigh the investment of time.

When the knock comes on the door, Oscar quickly closes his book. He rises smoothing his close to ensure no wrinkles were present.I expect that to be Fanter, or perhaps Sir Grim. He goes to the door and opens, with a cordial voice he says, "Good Evening,-"

Spoiler
    Show

if Grim and his daughter,

Sir Grim. Would you and your lovely daughter please step inside. Do either of you desire a beverage? I would be happy to get fetch it for you." As he waves his hand toward the bar.

If Fanter,

"Ah excellent." With a small sniff, "Fanter I must say that your dish's aroma is almost as sating as the meal itself will be. Now we must ensure all the preparations are in order."

If both,
    "Ah what excellent timing, please come in."

If no one expecting
    "How may I help you?"
    Character Sheets

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

In the Lobby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guard offers a non-committal shrug. "Can't say that I have. My shift just started though. Is she a guest, or a friend in town?"

In Oscar's Room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grim is squeezed into another suit. This one looks to be of a more professional cut, but dated, as if it was something he kept around from his youth for special occassions. His daughter is in a lovely, if modest, dress and smiles sweetly. Next to her father, and not in her work clothes, she looks every bit the budding young lady. She seems a bit more shy now, and subtly uncomfortable in the outfit she is wearing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Still, she curtsies and smiles, gliding with that almost supernatural grace of hers into the room just behind her father.

"Thank you for inviting us. And please, call me Grim. Mister Arceneau, this is my daughter, Giselda. Ah, of course, you've met her before. But that's her name, anyway." He tugs nervously at his collar and clears his throat. "You, uh, mentioned a drink?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"She is a guest here, probably in one of the simple rooms. We could look for her the hard way if you don't know in which room she is."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

In the Lobby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guard sighs, and heaves himself off his chair, then lumbers over to the front desk. He licks a calloused thumb and forefinger and flips through the pages of a thick book. "Ah... here she is. No it's no trouble. I'll go knock on her door for you. You can wait here in the lobby."

The guard continues in his lumbering gait up the stairs and disappears into the darkness.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar slowly closes the door behind Grim and Giselda. He heads to the bar and sensing a tension in the room gives a comforting smile, " I did indeed. A drink is quite a magically concoction, a social lubricant if you will." Oscar grabs a clean glass and places it on the bar. His hands move about snatching bottles with a dexterity built through experience. Without missing a beat he says, "This was a favorite of my classmates, its name is Witches Brew. It bubbles with just a hint of trouble. The drink is green and seems to have a slight fizz.

Satisfied with his work he poses, " Ms. Giselda would you care for a refreshment before dinner? "
    Character Sheets

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Giselda smiles softly. "Tea please, if you have it. So what brings you and Fanter to Neverwinter?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

"ah a fine choice my lady. Though I'm afraid yours may take few minutes, so please excuse the delay." After starting the tea, he prepares himself a stiff drink before sitting himself across from Sir Grim and Giselda. He takes a few sips, swirling the amber liquid around before saying, " I have come to Neverwinter with the same intent as many of the young men my age have, a desire for fame, esteem, wealth all the delicious human vices." A brief pause follows as Oscar takes a larger sip of his drink. In a matter of voice he says, " The oppurtunities presented here offer a way to obtain all that and more." Another pauses follows as the glass is drained, " As for Fanter, I offered him employment and he was rather thrilled to work for me. His talents were being wasted you see , with me it is a synergetic relationship. Our talents are complimentary, and we have an arrangement that is beneficial for both of us."
    Character Sheets