New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

[Okay, we're time-skipping. You can insert stuff retroactively if you awake people wanted to do something during the day.]

The next day, a Saturday, passes relatively uneventfully. It's still sunny, but cold and there's pretty much no sign of waking from Stephanie all day long, although the closet does make shifting noises from time to time that seem to imply Stephanie is having a physically active dream.

Swifthoof lets you prepare your own breakfast, and goes out shopping for groceries during the morning. When he comes back, he also hands a small note to Marchande, sealed with a Pokemon Sticker, but sealed and unread nonetheless.

Sealed note

The note is written in a brief and perfunctory fashion.

"Job available: No killing, no physical harm
    Genre: San Francisco politics

If interested, be at Crissy field at 5:00 PM tomorrow.
    Marchande and others, you're aware that Crissy field is in the Northernmost part of the city by the beach and that it's the main location where the fireworks will be viewed for the Golden Gate Bridge 75th anniversary. This means that about a million people will be out and about in the broader area, with perhaps 100,000 concentrated in Crissy Field itself, although 5:00 PM is several hours before the show starts since it stays in twilight until after 8:00 PM right now.

[Woops. The note does not say "the note is written in a brief and perfunctory fashion." Although come to think of it, a character that narrates his or her own life would be amusing in a changeling game. Maybe later.]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-08-06 at 08:56 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Banned

Charlotte moves to look at the letter, making it obvious she want ago know what it says but doesn't want to seem rude.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

Stephanie hadn't woken up. She was up and moving, refreshed and calm. She was eating her afternoon breakfast with a serene calm. But she still felt asleep, drifting, distant. She was smiling faintly and was completely quiet. She was already planning this evening's trip.

She didn't feel like she'd woken up. There had been no transition out of her dream. She still felt bathed in that cool blue light, as rested and relaxed as if she was still asleep. Like she was sleepwalking with her entire mind awake and aware.

Tonight she earned her keep.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Present tense. I use present tense for Marchande. Stop forgetting.

Marchande sleeps in, and doesn't regret it for the world. When she finally appears, suit immaculate and fur brushed and eyes bright, it's closer to midday than dawn. But she acts like this was the most normal thing in the world, as if everyone woke up when the fancy took them and then sprang, dapper and gay, out of their bed.

When she steps into the kitchen, she sees Stephanie, finishing off her breakfast. A guilty expression flits across her face, and she starts forward, only to be intercepted by Timothy. A note? This piques her curiosity, and she tears it open, reads it, reads it again, and considers.

The question isn't whether she - and possibly the others - will do it. The question is how she will present herself so that she has a reputation as a businesswoman, rather than some dog who does tricks on demand. She straightens her shoulders, and - tipping her hand to Charlotte as she does so, so that she may read the note - she says to the room at large, "We have a business opportunity, ladies. Is anyone interested in a bit of leg work?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

5. - Top - End - #365

"'kay," said Stephanie distantly. She kept smiling that vague smile.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande glances back at Stephanie, taken aback by her casual demeanor. Perhaps the argument had already been forgotten? "Well," she says, trying to cover her surprise at Stephenie's affability, "That's encouraging. I mean, to hear that you're on board for working together."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #367

"Right. I mean, I'm sure you have some useful skills," Stephanie said in a compliment so backhand the only thing stopping it from being an insult was the fact that she was plainly not invested enough to think about this at all.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

As Marchande keeps the note held out, Swifthoof looks as well.

"Will need to leave soon. Very large crowds at Crissy field today, cars unlikely to get through. Suggest public transit followed by walking. Perhaps 2 hours travel time.

Ah, nearly forgot, very important point. Fake identity, frequent court service, often provided to newcomers. Will generally need to pay own rent, comes with job, often good selection. If desired, available at this address. Ask for Minna."

He hands another piece of paper to Marchande, who, for whatever reason, he's decided is the proper person to hand papers to. This one just has a hand-written address on it. Marchande doesn't recognize the street name either, it must be a relatively small alley or side street somewhere. The name does make her groan just a tad, however. The address is for #12 Minna Street.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande just stares at Stephanie after that comment, then forces herself to shrug her shoulders. "You know," she says, in a slightly strained voice. "You'd be surprised how good I am at screaming a lot and getting tied up by cultists." Her smile is very... toothy.

And then another note! How interesting. She needs to make a list of things to do, a nice organized list. She asks Timothy as she accepts the note and scans it, "Do you have a notebook?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, certainly. Several, if needed." He comes back with a small stack of notebooks in various sizes.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #371

"Cultists tend to kill people they tie up," Stephanie said vaguely. "Watch out for that."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Swifthoof gives both Marchande and Stephanie a "what in the world are you talking about?" look. Coming from a gazelle, this makes you vaguely reminisicent of deer frozen in car headlights, only more confused.

Having been presented with no other questions, he then bustles upstairs and comes back holding a book, which he sits down on the couch to read. At the moment, he's apparently about halfway through the biography of Steve Jobs.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande carefully picks out a notebook small enough to comfortably fit in a suit pocket, and flips it open. Pen, she needs a pen. A bit of scrabbling on the kitchen counters allows her to acquire one. It might be cheap and plastic, but at least it was black. Blue pens were the refuge of the unprofessional.

She begins to write.

To do:

- Job at Crissy Field, 5:00, concerns City politics. Chance to establish self/others; acquire reputation for professional service, luck.
    - False Identities - acquire? #12 Minna Street. Ask for Minna.
    - What can we do? Luck? Shadow control? Were Stephanie's adventures things she learned skills from? Does Charlotte have magic and/or skills? Ask.
    - Apologize?

"I survived long enough," she says idly as she writes. It's slow work, given that her pen wants to scrawl all over the page. Dogs can't write. But Marchande is going to make calligraphers look like clumsy oafs, if it takes her all day. "But, then again, cultists don't have to make deaths look like accidents, so it might be prudent for me to watch out for that, anyway."

She finally snaps the notebook shut. "Charlotte, do you know any... where's Rose? Is she up? Oh, and if you have any talents I should know about, that would be nice to know before we do something political connected with fireworks."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Banned

"Talents, Madame?" Charlotte tilts her head and looks skyward in thought, ticking off in her fingers. "I am unobtrusive, I am good with knots and rope. I can make things, many things, but I don't have any materials here, and I like to cook but it doesn't fancy me. I can hang from ropes or stand or crouch or be tucked away in a cupboard for weeks, I don't mind, and I fix easy when I break. And things like me, and they they like to change or twist to suit me or find their way into my pockets sometimes, but... Oh! Does that count? I fear I have run out of fingers, Madame. Perhaps I should start again?" Charlotte's eyes positively rake over the audience assembled, clawing for some certainty. "I could put the important things higher? Or perhaps cooking should be in making things, non?"
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-08-09 at 12:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    "I survived long enough," she says idly as she writes. It's slow work, given that her pen wants to scrawl all over the page. Dogs can't write. But Marchande is going to make calligraphers look like clumsy oafs, if it takes her all day. "But, then again, cultists don't have to make deaths look like accidents, so it might be prudent for me to watch out for that, anyway."
    "They tend to eat the evidence," Stephanie agreed abstractly.

She swung around to face Swifthoof. "I need lockpicks. And a grappling hook, though rope will do fine. A smartphone would be good, with a number I can call in an emergency, a packet of cigarettes, two sharp knives, a small amount of cash, and marbles, an up to date city map and a fake rolex watch. It's okay if you can't get me all of them, I'll be able to get some money together soon enough."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

"Mhmm, interesting. Most items can be acquired normally for money or presented from Meena when obtaining fake identity or job. For lockpicks, suggest shopping downtown." He pulls a small writing pad out of his pocket with a pen and writes down another address, then hands it to Stephanie. The address is 112 Grant ave. at the entrance to Chinatown, not that far from where you met Swifthoof. "May be able to find lockpicks there. Changeling not always present however, somewhat random."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #377
    Banned

"Oh! Stephanie!" Charlotte brightens, possibly literally. "I have to return those pants. Would you like to? We can get food on the way, make a night of it. See if Helen and Hatsy have... Adjusted, yet, to there being two of you."

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "Mhmm, interesting. Most items can be acquired normally for money or presented from Meena when obtaining fake identity or job. For lockpicks, suggest shopping downtown." He pulls a small writing pad out of his pocket with a pen and writes down another address, then hands it to Stephanie. The address is 112 Grant ave. at the entrance to Chinatown, not that far from where you met Swifthoof. "May be able to find lockpicks there. Changeling not always present however, somewhat random."
    Stephanie felt pleased and validated. "Thanks, Hoofsy. That should really help me get started."

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    "Oh! Stephanie!" Charlotte brightens, possibly literally. "I have to return those pants. Would you like to? We can get food on the way, make a night of it. See if Helen and Hatsy have... Adjusted, yet, to there being two of you."
    "No," Stephanie said, with what couldn't quite be called a clarity of thought. "We can't go back poor and needy. I want to wait a night or two until I have enough money to not be a freeloader."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Banned

Charlotte's nose wrinkles in confusion. "But that is why we are returning them so promptly. We are on our way, are we not? And with Minna and new names and some jobs... We have everything in hand, miss. What more are you going to do?" she laughs spritely, as if sharing a joke. "Do you plan to rob a bank, to prove you're the best security available?"

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Charlotte's nose wrinkles in confusion. "But that is why we are returning them so promptly. We are on our way, are we not? And with Minna and new names and some jobs... We have everything in hand, miss. What more are you going to do?" she laughs spritely, as if sharing a joke. "Do you plan to rob a bank, to prove you're the best security available?"
    "Oh, good idea," said Stephanie, making it unclear if she was responding to the bank robbery idea or the drop-off-clothes-idea. "But no. Not yet. I'm not ready."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

"As you wish, miss. But please come get me when you are ready, and soon?"

Having patched things up with Stephanie and positive nothing can go wrong, Charlotte turns to Marchande. "And I should like to accompany you to see this... Minna, s'il vous plaît."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Trying to keep track of two conversations at once and their ramifications would have been difficult for anyone who wasn't Marchande.

"Good, good," she said to Charlotte, "I may have to get you some rope, even though most things you could do with it probably wouldn't be very legal, unless we need to assemble something very quickly..."

She turns her attention to Stephanie then, frowning. "Smartphone? Like a Nokia? And why would you need knives?" This situation was not looking good. She definitely didn't want Stephanie doing anything rash in an attempt to prove herself.

Then, to Charlotte, without turning: "We can go this evening, after the park job. Would that be acceptable, miss?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

"...What the hell is a smartphone?"

Kalina's voice is like shattering glass, a mirror falling away to reveal the true depth of the room, where yes, there were four people in the group. She'd stayed quiet through everything prior, through meals and arguments and questioning and so many other things that perhaps the others wondered if she'd simply forgotten how to speak.

And in truth, perhaps she had. She mentally ticked the years off in her head. It had to have been more than twenty. All those years alone, with nobody to talk to but herself or very occasionally a victim in need of rescue or the odd monster or two capable of stringing words together. It wasn't the kind of life that left one a fast talker, but right now Kalina is kicking herself for that. Bonds that might have been mended, this whole mess with Stephanie and her bizarre, floating behavior... or questions she might have gotten answered if only she could stop being afraid of revealing her own ignorance.

Rose shakes her head.

"There is very precious little I am good at, anymore. But... perhaps you wouldn't mind my company anyway?"

I don't want to be alone anymore...

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

"Of course not," Marchande says, almost startled by Rose breaking her silence. But it's important that she gets a response, immediately. "I'd be honored if you came with us."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Swifthoof looks up as Kalina comes in and when she asks about a smartphone, he walks over to her and, unless she noticeably flinches, attempts to pat her on the shoulder.

"Short time in faerie, often, long time in reality." *He sighs, like a great weight is on his shoulders* "To answer question. Smartphone, a highly useful device. Small, generally square, can be carried in pocket. Can send and receive telephone calls from nearly any location. Also functions as camera and can be used to write notes, send written messages, and look up information from nearly any location."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    She turns her attention to Stephanie then, frowning. "Smartphone? Like a Nokia? And why would you need knives?" This situation was not looking good. She definitely didn't want Stephanie doing anything rash in an attempt to prove herself.
    "Knives are useful," said Stephanie, tossing one up in the air. She added another before she caught the first and, seconds later, she was juggling with every utensil on the table in a glittering web of steel. Shadowy tendrils assisted her hands, letting her maintain more objects than seemed possible.

"...What the hell is a smartphone?"

"There is very precious little I am good at, anymore. But... perhaps you wouldn't mind my company anyway?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Swifthoof looks up as Kalina comes in and when she asks about a smartphone, he walks over to her and, unless she noticeably flinches, attempts to pat her on the shoulder.

"Short time in faerie, often, long time in reality." *He sighs, like a great weight is on his shoulders* "To answer question. Smartphone, a highly useful device. Small, generally square, can be carried in pocket. Can send and receive telephone calls from nearly any location. Also functions as camera and can be used to write notes, send written messages, and look up information from nearly any location."
    Stephanie had seen plenty of Smartphones in her time across the way. She had what might be called... an inflated idea of their capabilities.

She'd seen them used to trigger bombs, hack electronic locks, detect radiation, store unlimited amounts of data, do medical analysis, and generally act as omnipurpose Action Movie computers.

She was open to the probability that she wouldn't get the same amount of use out of them as the tech guys she'd teamed up with or fought against, but even Swifthoof's description sounded really useful.

Her attention wandered back to a reality where she was juggling fifteen or more bladed objects. She started catching them, one by one, and setting them down. "I'd love to have you along," she said to Kalina.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-09 at 09:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalina stares at Swifthoof, particularly at the hand he's placed on her shoulder.

"It felt like a long time when I was there, too. It's... difficult to keep track of the time when you almost never see the sun." She pauses, processing the information given to her, "Only... wait. Look up information? Anywhere? So it's... it's like a library you can hold in your pocket? That's... but how?!"

Then she shakes her head. She wasn't sure she actually wanted the answer. Most of the explanations she could think of involve magic, and that leaves a particularly sour taste in her mouth. Even so, "I... I want one."

Rose sighs. Now isn't the time. She stretches and rolls her neck, making several disturbingly loud pops and cracks.

"Just let me know what you need and I'll do it," a pause, "...Thank you for letting me come along."

28. - Top - End - #388

Stephanie stood up, and pulled up her hood. She put her hands in her pockets and the shadows inside her hood deepened until her face consisted of two disembodied orange eyes.

There were plenty of things to do, but they could wait just a bit. If this Marchy thing was a bust she could just walk off. Find something better to do.

"Let's go," said Stephanie.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Banned

Charlotte, coat in hand, stands waiting in the living room. "Are you coming, Timothy? Or, 'Swifthoof', would you rather?"

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

"Swifthoof, if you please." Seeing that you're about to leave Swifthoof stands up and properly shakes hands with each of you. "Pleasure making acquaintance, please drop by again, preferably for tea, acceptably if in trouble. Will not be coming today, plan to watch fireworks from a distance."

With that the party is on their way. The trip to the Marina doesn't take too long, but at each stop the train gets progressively more crowded. You catch glimpses a few other changelings while traveling, but the car is too crowded to move at all and none of them are near you.

When you get out and start making your way to the field where the fireworks will be held, the crowd remains oppressive. San Francisco's official population is supposed to be around 800,000, but with this celebration and visitors coming from outside the city, there must be close to a million people coming to this event, and half of them at least are already here and milling about.

The field itself is a bit of a misnomer. The area is actually an extended beach walk with a steep slope that rises up about 15 feet to a grassy area. The beach is maybe 30 feet wide and the grass another 20 feet wide, but the length of the area is over two miles, with the Golden Gate Bridge itself visible at every point as long as you're tall enough to see over the people in front of you.

As you arrive and begin milling about, you notice that a stage has been set up in one area, set off from the people and raised up on the grassy area. And in front of this stage is the black wire mannequin draped with cloth that met you in the car earlier. Next to him is another changeling, wearing a hooded cloak with the hood down. You almost didn't notice him because his body is so translucent that it's almost see-through, as though he were the invisible man, only not quite. The navy blue coloring of his cloak provides enough contrast that you can make out the outline of a relatively young man with blond hair.

Both of them appear to be waiting and watching the crowd, but make no sign that they have noticed you.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes