New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

Bugger and blast. This... was oddly familiar, actually. Dogs got to see the unraveling of many elaborate, over-developed plans. And Marchande remembered how many of them ended in screaming. And that was her... that was a gentleman's smile. Just a gentleman, and not even that; don't whimper, don't slink away with your tail between your legs.

Let the dance begin.

"Hello, San Francisco!" Marchande says, nudging her way to the podium ever-so-slightly. "I don't want to take up too much of your time tonight! But I could hardly reject the invitation to speak here tonight - as one of you! Because Kalina Rogers is a woman just like me, and just like you!"

Marchande, improvising wildly, puts both hands on the podium.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Colossus in the Playground

"See? Told you she was fine," said Stephanie, grabbing some turf to sit down on.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Banned

In which Starry wonders if Anarion read the part about fetches being able to see both mask and mien even before the return of their respective changeling, and wonders what the story teller equivalent is of Rat Bastard Dungeon Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "See? Told you she was fine," said Stephanie, grabbing some turf to sit down on.
    Her eyes narrowed slightly, and her head tilted just so, Charlotte notes the tell-tale signs of panic that Marchande so valiantly holds at bay - the slight flare of the muzzle, the angry swish if the tail - and wonders.

"Non, miss, I think this is the undercover, behind enemy lines version of screaming." Turning with a look of absolute trust, she addresses the wickerman. "How do we handle this, sir?"

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

The wicker man does his fabric equivalent of arching an eyebrow again. "You handle it by taking action. This task was delegated to you, it is your responsibility. It is not my place to assist, unless you're explicitly asking for a favor, in which case you'll 'owe me one' in the future."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #515

"Why'd she be screaming? She's just on a stage," said Stephanie dismissively. "It's not even on fire. She can just, y'know, walk away."

She grinned. "And if she can't then it'll get really interesting."

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalina works her way through the crowd, quietly this time, but quickly. She'd allowed herself to be lead away, but it hadn't taken long for her to freeze and double back toward the stage.

The plan, the plan, screw the plan. There is no plan worth following. But she has to know, to see this woman with her own eyes and find out... find out what became of her life when it was taken from her.

Faster now, faster. Through the crowd. Rose slips through bodies as gingerly as someone of her stature can. She can hear them. She can see them. Marchande is up there, smiling. Two hands on the podium. And her words ring out across the open field, 'Kalina Rogers is a woman just like you!'

"...Is she really?"

Rose is close now, very close. Close enough to stare at her own face, right there on that stage. And she watches it very closely, continuing to wade through the crowd to get up there. Just who is Kalina Rogers, and what does she stand for?

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

"Why'd she be screaming? She's just on a stage," said Stephanie dismissively. "It's not even on fire. She can just, y'know, walk away."

She grinned. "And if she can't then it'll get really interesting."
    The wicker man nods, and settles back comfortably.

Rose is close now, very close. Close enough to stare at her own face, right there on that stage. And she watches it very closely, continuing to wade through the crowd to get up there. Just who is Kalina Rogers, and what does she stand for?
    As Rose gets closer, within about 50 feet of the stage, she realizes something unnerving. The Ms. Rogers on stage is staring at her. Directly at her. Even hidden amidst the crowd as she is, there is no doubt. And in those eyes is a look of pure venom.

With an effort, the woman on stage tears her eyes away and turns back to the stage. To Marchande's view, however, she looks shaken. Like one hair has just barely fallen out of place.

"Y-yes, thank you March. You see, as I was on my way up here, I carelessly lost track of my speech notes, and March here noticed them and brought them back to me, even through the cloud of reporters you always see following me everywhere I go." *forced grin and another glance at Rose, then back to the stage*

"And rather than bore you all with another diatribe on property taxes, I thought that I would tell everyone about what it means to be a good samaritan. You see, if everyone would just be a little bit more like March here, well, a lot of our troubles would just evaporate." *Scattered applause, another glance at Rose, followed by snapping her head back.*

"Yes. Our society is too filled with cutthroat people. Everyone wants to get ahead and take advantage of her neighbor, and I'm standing here to tell you that's not the right way to approach things. When you see someone that needs a bit of help, I'd like to ask each one of you out there to stop and do your best to make a difference." *head snaps back again, and then again back to the speech*

"I, where was I? Ah right. I want, I want all of you, everyone listening to this, to think of a way to give back to your community. It was Kennedy's famous words: 'ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country' that still ring true today, and it's those words that March here reminded me about. And I think, I think we can all do some good in the world." *Head whips again to Rose, and it seems like several people now are looking with her.*

She brings her gaze back to the audience with a struggle and says
    "I think we can all make a difference, we can...No matter what distractions you think might get in your way, we can all overcome them, and be better people. Thank you."

She steps back from the podium and her gaze never leaves Rose.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

8. - Top - End - #518

Well that wasn't a very good speech.

Stephanie felt vaguely cheated, and inwardly justified at having stolen her watch. Man, politics are boring.

"Soo-oooo," she said to Wikky, "Are we done?"

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

The intensity with which Rose can feel her own eyes boring into her is startling. This person with her name and her face seems to possess every bit of her presence, too. But is it so scary to look in a mirror? Kalina stares straight back and continues to move through the crowd.

Up on stage, the woman continues her speech, about helping out your fellow man, avoiding distractions, and whatever else. Truth be told, Kalina Rogers is barely listening to her own speech. She pauses to think about that as another glare is sent her way, carrying with it the gaze of another member of the crowd. She shrugs. It must be doubly true.

More speech, more glaring. The crowd is starting to take notice. And every time the Kalina on stage turns her eyes to the figure in the crowd again, she's gotten closer. One Ms. Rogers steps away from the podium, and another is as close as the stage will allow. There are many eyes on her again.

"Kalina Rogers!" The voice rings out clear and loud. "Look how far you've carried that name from the little girl living on the streets!"

Rose holds her hands apart and brings them together in a single loud clap.

"...But I want to know. Are you a woman just like me?"

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

"...But I want to know. Are you a woman just like me?"
    [Could you take a presence+intimidate roll for that statement? It's at +1 because fetch Kalina is so fixated on Rose already. You're also free to use any contracts you wish to combine with it.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

When Rose finishes her question, it's as if she was hit by a concentrated ray of sunlight. When it fades, the people around her are suddenly aware that they are in the presence of an angel in resplendent armor, spreading her beautiful wings wide. Eyes fall, entranced as she shimmers and glistens in the stage lighting.

Rose's eyes stay locked on Kalina Rogers.

"Well?" She insists.

[Kalina spends three glamor to activate her Splendor of the Envoy's Protection (managing to roll a single success and ever-so-barely triggering it ), and then proceeds to roll 5 successes on her Presence+Intimidate roll.]
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2012-09-18 at 02:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

[That meets the catch for that contract. Glamour refunded.]

An awed hush drifts across the crowd. A few people had been looking before, but now everyone within sight has turned to stare at the angel walking amongst them. A few hushed whispers can be heard in the stillness. Some men and women in the crowd have gone down on one knee and are praying aloud.

On stage, the false Kalina shrinks into herself. She almost grows physically smaller, as though the radiance is scouring away a part of her.

"I..." She struggles to remain calm, you can see her face twisting, her mind grasping for an answer, for something to keep control of the situation, and slowly losing her grip as the light beats upon her. Suddenly, the dam bursts

"I'm better than you! I'm everything you were supposed to be and more! I'm stronger, I'm smarter! I got an education, I made it into politics! I trampled everyone I needed to trample to get here and never let anyone stand in my way! I rose above the worthless rabble that you could never escape! You were never supposed to come back! How can you even be here?! How can this be happening?! Someone do something! Stop her! Arrest her! Why are you all just standing there like idiots?!"

A gasp radiates through the crowd, and a few nearby people seem to make efforts to approach Rose in response to false Kalina's demand, but find themselves unable to do more than stand in front of her, blocking a direct route to the stage.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #523
    Banned

Charlotte raises an eyebrow lightly. Wikky?

Sure.

"I am unfamiliar with this magic. Um, Wikky, sir, will this show on camera? Reporters take movies of these things, yes?" She looks about, trying to find any sign of cameras recording the event, eyes flicking around like a hummingbird. Truth be told, they were fluttering around the spectacle almost literally, the incandescent pillar that I Rose, their rose, in full bloom of light and glory. Charlotte doesn't want to get any closer to the archangel than he has to, right now.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

The wicker man seems to be enjoying the show and not paying any attention to Charlotte at all.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #525
    Banned

Charlotte is oddly relieved. While doing more to make sure this works occurs to her, she is a good set piece; one does not get in the way of a production because a background panel is crooked. No, if Wikky is satisfied, then they had succeeded - their job was to satisfy his requirements, after all.

Instead of pressing further, Charlotte reclines a bit, enjoying the sense of warm success.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

[SiuiS, Charlotte has high enough empathy that I must correct your misunderstanding. Wicker man is not satisfied. He is displaying no emotion whatsoever. He simply does not care to pay attention to Charlotte.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #527

Oh wow, she had really misjudged this politics thing.

And it'd be stupid to let a chance like this pass up.

She drifted off into the crowd, taking advantage of everyone's awestruck distraction to pick as many pockets as possible.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

She drifted off into the crowd, taking advantage of everyone's awestruck distraction to pick as many pockets as possible.
    In about 30 seconds of Rose striding forward, Stephanie manages to pocket several loose bills and change, 3 wallets (2 ladies purses and a guy's back pocket), and what appears to be the cleaning cloth for somebody's glasses, which was stuck to one of the wallets she pulled out. It even has the phone number for an optometrist in the corner.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #529

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    In about 30 seconds of Rose striding forward, Stephanie manages to pocket several loose bills and change, 3 wallets (2 ladies purses and a guy's back pocket), and what appears to be the cleaning cloth for somebody's glasses, which was stuck to one of the wallets she pulled out. It even has the phone number for an optometrist in the corner.
    Never underestimate the value of useless knicknacks when it came to impressing tribal natives. Also she knew a guy who could get her a good price on empty wallets.

She'd sort out the contents of her acquisitions later. For now she was just stashing them in the pockets of her cloak as she continued to hunt.

Distractions like this didn't happen often. Once the spell was broken then she'd stop herself and get back to Wikky.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande twitches. When she gets out of this alive, she is going to slap Rose on the back of the head and chew her out for being a loud, flashy idiot. Sure, go ahead, yell at the politician with your face, when your friend is trying her hardest to escape from this situation without getting arrested. Even if you look beautiful and perfect and worth seeing truly, like a glorious angel from a cathedral's stained glass. (Remember that one caper, with the archbishop and the mistress who ended up...? No, better not.)

...although this might be worth exploiting, come to think of it. The dog clashes with the human; stay with your mistress, one says, be loyal. The other throws up its hands - real hands, not paws - and says, no, not happening, if someone's getting thrown to the wolves it's not me.

So Marchande takes this opportunity, fighting against her nature the whole way, to nonchalantly make her exit, stage left.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

Rose pauses a moment to look at the people standing in her way. She sighs softly, a sound that's like music: soft chimes in the wind.

"I understand you are doing your jobs, but please permit me passage to the stage. I am unarmed. The Speaker will not be harmed." She raises her hands to show her lack of weapons (and attempts a Presence+Persuasion roll and gets 3 successes).

She makes for the stage again, but gently. A nod of respect to the profession and the power her Other Self has accumulated. Not that it stops her from returning her attention to the Kalina on the stage.

"Once upon a time, there was a young girl on the streets of San Francisco. She had nothing. She was less than nothing. But she dreamed, oh yes, she dreamed of being a police officer and helping bring order to the orderless. Do you remember her? What that was like?

But that girl gave up her chance to 'rise above the rabble'. She saw a child in trouble and threw herself into harm's way to help. She never came back. You must have heard that story. But you say you're better than me? What have you done? What could you have possibly done to be better? You're a liar! You're a mask!"

Rose pauses to sneer derisively, "And you're a pawn in someone else's game. Nothing you have ever done is real."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

[Marchande needs to take a stealth+dex check for sneaking away. +3 bonus because everyone is really distracted.]

The people part seamlessly as Rose strides forward, stepping up to the stage.

However, the speaker seems to have regained some control over herself faced with Rose's accusation

"Everything I have done is real. It's you who were taken to be the puppet in another man's show. It seems like you don't know the rest of my story, so let me tell you. I was a policewoman. For 5 years I served this community. It's well known that I had a sterling record. My beat had the lowest crime rate in the city and I brought in many felons. And it never seemed to be enough. Going out every day, helping people one at a time, it made no difference. I watched those people I had brought in get arrested and go through the system, spend a week, a month, maybe a year or two in jail and then calmly walk back out. And I could never keep up, not going one by one like that. That's why I'm standing here, now. I left the police force and I became a city supervisor. I made the laws stricter. And then I ran for state legislature, and I won because I made people safe. I became the speaker of the state house of representatives because I made people safe.

You claim to have saved one child. My work has saved 10,000 children. What right do you have to call that a lie?!
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #533
    Banned

Charlotte had an idea, dim in the recesses of her mind, unformed. But it was an idea, and those usually worked out beautifully in the end. So rising, smoothing the ruffles down her front, she turns to walk off around the stage, to find Marchande and maybe signal her.

Rose marches in parallel for a moment, stopping, then party the papara-sea and continuing. And she speaks, and Charlotte realizes that this plan was coming together well, without her, despite her. And that hurt... But the plan was coming together and that was important.

Loitering in stillness by the side of the stage, about ten feet distant, Charlotte puts herself within easy sight range of the immaculate hound and turns her eyes, her mind and senses like a diffuse spotlight to the stage. She watches not only the drama unfold, but keeps an eye out for the figurative stagehands bustling behind the curtain. She might not be able to act, but she would be able to remember...

How skilled could their collective body be at propaganda?

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

[At eight dice, Marchande managed to get three successes on Stealth+Dex.]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Marchande casually marches off the stage. It wasn't especially hard, since the entire crowd was looking at the Kalinas. You probably could have snuck a live African elephant over that stage without drawing attention.

While Rose just about makes it onto the stage, Marchande is quickly off the stage and over to the Charlotte, who she sees gesturing to her in some manner.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

If Rose is bothered by the other Kalina's sudden surge of confidence or her claims, it doesn't show on her face. Calmly she takes the stage, walks straight up to her other half and stares straight at her. Her eyes swirl with a mix of anger, jealousy, and... something far more gentle and confusing. Rose cracks her neck, and shrugs.

"Don't be ridiculous. The second I show my face you fly off the handle and scream about superiority and trampling your enemies and calling for my arrest. Do you think I don't know you? You've let me see you panic, and now you posture and push so that you can be the bully again.

You have no concept of true sacrifice, and no idea what the stakes of the game we're playing are. Did you honestly believe that someone like Him would plop you down here so you could fix the world and accomplish all sorts of great and wonderful things? Don't be ridiculous!"

Rose laughs scornfully, one hand clenching into a fist tight enough to draw blood, which patters drop by mercury drop onto the stage.

"I'm not here tonight to hurt you. That depends on what you do from now on. But you will stop dodging my question, here and now. Are you a woman like me? Do you bloody your hands for justice or necessity? What are you prepared to do to get what you want? And more importantly than anything, what are you going to do when He comes back to shine a spotlight on you?"

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

It is as though all the air has gone out of a balloon. The false Kalina shrinks before the beacon facing her.

"What...what did you expect from me? I was supposed to be everything you ever wanted, and you ruin me. I cast off justice years ago, as you would have, had you been here. And I can do nothing if He returns. I know what a mirror shows, but, in my heart, I am but sticks and feathers. I have always known. I am...nothing like you. I...I don't want to die."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-25 at 12:53 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #538
    Banned

Her fingers extend in greeting and freeze, and amber-limned mannequin arm with perfectly rendered, silvery pearl nails wrought with care. All thoughts of discussion, of planning cease and die in their stillness. The world waits with baited breath. Nothing else functions. Nothing else matters. All the world is but a set piece, ephemera, framing this confrontation.

Her eyes drawn to the stage, Marchande may not even be able to tell if Charlotte is even breathing.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

There were a lot of responses she might have been expecting, but this is not one of them. Kalina halts, and looks at her own face one more time for a long and perfectly silent moment.

She closes her eyes and sighs. Then in one swift motion, reaches out and pulls the other Kalina into a tight embrace.

"...Then live." She whispers back.

The moment passes almost as quickly as it came, and soon Rose is standing several steps back from her double, tears faintly shimmering in her eyes. She moves to leave the stage, but pauses and turns her head.

"I don't care if you're me, but be a better you. Maybe we can help each other... but that will depend on the changes you are willing to make. I will return to hear your answer. Your life begins today."

Rose turns her back and steps off the stage, parting the crowd like the seas and hurrying off to be somewhere quiet.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

The crowd parts easily for Rose as she departs. People look around in a daze. It is as though the sun has just set, a golden shine blazing brightly and then fading into the evening.

Rose withdraws to the edge of the seashore, standing on the beach, the Golden Gate Bridge is outlined in fiery orange as the sun also falls below the ocean.

Marchande is still on stage, just at the very edge, and Charlotte on the side to receive her.

Stephanie is in the audience, by a hot dog stand, $150 richer and with several drivers licenses, insurance cards, and that glasses cleaning cloth she found.

Speaker Kalina Rose remains by the podium. Most of the journalists and onlookers seem confused at Rose's departure. Stepping up to the podium, the fetch says "Nothing more needs to be said. Let...let the festivities commence." With that, she steps back to her seat and sits, facing forward, staring at nothing in particular.

The wicker man doesn't appear to have moved an inch, relaxing comfortably in his chair.

And over the bridge, the first fireworks start, a red and gold burst over the central tower.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes