New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Banned

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

"I think she means return them, miss. Isn't stealing wrong?" Charlotte turns to shut the door after Marchande steps through, slowly closing it for the minimu of noise and maximum of sealing, before turning with a slight smile. "Did I see you talking to a blanket, miss? Surely 'Whicky' is not that indistinct? There was also wire as I recall, oui?"

2. - Top - End - #602
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    "I think she means return them, miss. Isn't stealing wrong?" Charlotte turns to shut the door after Marchande steps through, slowly closing it for the minimu of noise and maximum of sealing, before turning with a slight smile. "Did I see you talking to a blanket, miss? Surely 'Whicky' is not that indistinct? There was also wire as I recall, oui?"
    "Uh, return them? To that enormous crowd of faceless people that I went through while drunk, like, an hour and a half ago?" Stephanie said incredulously. "And it's - it's not wrong, it's just - I need it more than them."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

"So what? It doesn't belong to you. So you hand it to the police for them to sort out. Earn it, or do without."

Kalina folds her arms across her chest and frowns. How was this even a discussion?

4. - Top - End - #604

"I - but -!" Stephanie choked when she thought about how unfair that was. She had worked for it! She'd run the game perfectly - she hadn't been spotted, she hadn't even been suspected!

And this was what she could do now. She'd planned it all out - she was going to be useful! She was going to prove that she wasn't just all made up stories and silly ideals! If she couldn't do this... then... then it was right back to mopping floors. All that for nothing. All her skills, useless. Her eyes watered.

She looked down, abashed, ashamed, and filled with a cocktail of other emotions. An instinct triggered; she couldn't be like this while visiting someone new. In a blur of shadow she darted out the door, skipped off the wall and climbed up to the roof of the building. She needed some space. She needed some... something.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Banned

"Stephanie, wait..." Charlotte extends her hand, as if to grab her from this distance as she jumps, like when a person 'pinches' someone's head at a distance. Even she is unsurprised when it doesn't work.

Well.

"I'll go after her, Rose. We may need her for the IDs. They have pictures on them."

Following Stephanie out into the cold, Charlotte smoothes her skirts and looks up, trying to find a way to follow the shadowy gymnast.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

If there was one thing Kalina did not need, then that was it. She reaches out at the retreating form of Stephanie, her fingers closing on empty air and clenching into a fist. Her arm trembles, sending shivers down up and down her entire body. She convulses with rage and a sea of negative emotions, her eyes growing darker and unfocused until she can't see the room she's standing in anymore.

On this day, she met herself. On this day, she stared down all of her aspirations, hopes, goals, and every single thing she'd ever dared to dream of being. On this day, she openly mocked the face of those dreams and broke them in half like the grimy mirror it had been. It hadn't felt good. Not the way it was supposed to.

And now. And now! All she'd wanted to do, all she'd tried to do was assert a simple truth about the world and the way it worked, and suddenly she is made out to feel like an... her heart freezes, blood running cold. Like an ogre.

Like Stephanie had any room to talk. Like Stephanie had any room to complain. Like Stephanie didn't possess the magic of hearth and home and family, to be loved, to know what it meant to have a place she can call her own! And skills! The power to become herself again, and talents and skills galore! To have any talent for anything other than hunting monsters down in a warped and twisted forest. The ability to be useful at all.

Rose's vision fills with the inky blackness that had for so many years threatened to consume and devour her. She'd learned to live with it, pining for the light. The light only stupid people lived in. Effing Stephanie and her stupid, perfect life. How dare she get to be the victim now, too?

Kalina does not say a word, does not move except to breathe. To do anything else would mean putting her fist through the first thing she could reach, and there are rules against that.

7. - Top - End - #607

Stephanie didn't get too far; climbing onto the roof, finding some quiet, and trying to think.

Okay. You can't take too long about this. You're on the clock. Charlotte's coming after you and it's only about three minutes forty seconds before she finds the fire escape.

One: She's right and you're a horrible person. You crossed the line from hero to petty crook in not two days from getting back. At this rate you'll be a hired assassin like Wikky before the week's out. She's right, she's right, just accept that and move on.

Two: Practical skills. I can't cook. I didn't finish high school. I don't know anything about business. All I've really got going is stealth and speed and I don't know how they're employable.

Three: Responsibilities. I need money. I can't just... Helen. I might... I don't know! I don't know, come back to three!

She paced rapidly, hands on her head, racking her stupid brain for a solution. Security consultant - Who the hell hires them in real life? Cop - ha ha, after four years hard training I get to ride around in a car and eat donuts. Private detective - sure, I'll solve crimes the police can't with my amazing deductive reasoning. Thief who robs criminals - yeah, but the criminals in this town know where I live. Firefighter - sure, because you're strong enough to lift grown men and carry them out of burning buildings. Soldier - you're right, Stephanie, that's the perfect way to not become a hired killer! Archaeologist - I do not actually know anything about archaeology.

The thought refused to leave her face. All you're good at is infiltrating places and robbing them.

And this world didn't have bad guys who were okay to rob.

She frantically kept going through her options, breathing heavily, pacing fast. She needed an answer. She couldn't just... not have one, again. She couldn't take bottom dollar cleaning duty again. Everyone thought she was dumb and irresponsible and shiftless and lazy and if she couldn't think of something they'd be right.

She chewed on her lip as she tried to keep her exploding, rapid fire thoughts on topic.

Supernatural stuff. No idea how any of that worked or how it paid. Probably wouldn't amount to much more than robbing. You helped rig an election or something tonight and I'm pretty sure it doesn't get nicer than that. Payment also seems to be in favours, and fat lot of good that does.

Contracts. Okay, if all this magic stuff was real and worked even here then... then what if she made some deals and stuff while here? Maybe - maybe if she made the right kind of deal she'd be able to get some money out of it. Maybe if she made it a clause she'd be able to get wealth without having to do anything. And then - and then she'd still be useless, but she wouldn't be useless and a disappointment...

That was about the note Stephanie was on when Charlotte got to her. She hesitated, losing the train of rapid-fire thought, ready to bolt again if she got too close or the wrong thing was said.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Banned

To her credit, Charlotte didn't approach very rapidly, and instead stood there, abashed, holding of all things a grappling hook in her now-gloved hand. "It... Did not come with rope." she offers lamely. With a delicate twist, she drops it and takes a half-step toward Stephanie as the hook dissolves into the ether behind her.

"If I may be bold, miss. You are ovethinking, non? Why would you want a job where you do nothing? You are happiest when doing."

The half step becomes a full step, the full step becomes four more, and still Charlotte is bent under by some weight. There is a color to her face, she can feel it, the warmth of the blood rising up to signal her distress like some bleeding animal letting its wound scent the wind. Noticing she was blushing made it worse, and she bites her lip to focus just a bit on the pain. She can do this, she feels it. Subtle chains of obligation. Soothing. She sighs.

"And while I'm bold, miss, please don't leave. You and Marchande and Rose know what's goin on and I'm going back and forth between understanding and being afraid, and remember how things were and then not knowing anything. And if you're going to leave us miss, before you go can I have a hug?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I am forfeiting 2 glamour and a point of Willpower, as I'd already written out using the contract before Stephanie noticed Charlotte arrive.

Also, I suppose that would be manipulation + empathy of 7 at Thanqol? Strictly as a measure of how heart string tugging Charlotte is going for, mind.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande steps inside, taking account of the place. Doesn't seem dangerous. She is focused, even moreso after that little botch of etiquette. She breathes in deeply, catching the scents - this is an old place.

Hello, she'll say. My name's Marchande, and these are my associates. We're recent, no, we recently joined forces with the courts here, and we were told to come to you. First step in being back home is to have a new name, yes? And a new history.

Marchande half-turns, begins to gesture for everyone to follow her upstairs, and sees only Rose standing there, alone. She blinks, bemused. "What just happened?"

Rose is angry, Stephanie's not there. Charlotte is not there, either. Last snippet of conversation was about wallets. Should have stepped in and said something, should have led. Stephanie hiding in shadows? Where did that leave Charlotte? Not enough information, should have paid attention.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

10. - Top - End - #610

To her credit, Charlotte didn't approach very rapidly, and instead stood there, abashed, holding of all things a grappling hook in her now-gloved hand. "It... Did not come with rope." she offers lamely. With a delicate twist, she drops it and takes a half-step toward Stephanie as the hook dissolves into the ether behind her.

"If I may be bold, miss. You are ovethinking, non? Why would you want a job where you do nothing? You are happiest when doing."

The half step becomes a full step, the full step becomes four more, and still Charlotte is bent under by some weight. There is a color to her face, she can feel it, the warmth of the blood rising up to signal her distress like some bleeding animal letting its wound scent the wind. Noticing she was blushing made it worse, and she bites her lip to focus just a bit on the pain. She can do this, she feels it. Subtle chains of obligation. Soothing. She sighs.

"And while I'm bold, miss, please don't leave. You and Marchande and Rose know what's goin on and I'm going back and forth between understanding and being afraid, and remember how things were and then not knowing anything. And if you're going to leave us miss, before you go can I have a hug?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I am forfeiting 2 glamour and a point of Willpower, as I'd already written out using the contract before Stephanie noticed Charlotte arrive.

Also, I suppose that would be manipulation + empathy of 7 at Thanqol? Strictly as a measure of how heart string tugging Charlotte is going for, mind.
    [I'm generally not in favour of dice rolls against party members. If you need a hint, ask; your character is empathetic enough to pick up on Stephanie's rather guileless mind]

"I don't want to do nothing! I want to do something I'm good at! It just doesn't - it doesn't exist any more!" Stephanie said. "And since I couldn't do that I figured I could steal things instead because that'd be helpful but Rose is right and it's wrong -"

Stephanie cut herself off, trigger instinct warning her against speaking too loudly even though she'd barely raised her voice.

"I don't know what's going on. I'm not built for this world," Stephanie said. "There are too many consequences."

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [I'm generally not in favour of dice rolls against party members. If you need a hint, ask; your character is empathetic enough to pick up on Stephanie's rather guileless mind]
    [I agree with this. You can burn a contract for effect, but I don't like dice rolls against party members. Using the contract on a party member just means you look/sound really convincing or what have you and the player can react accordingly.]

Oh and for Rose and Marchande, nobody comes downstairs to greet you. Though the old woman's voice does call out again "Well, I don't have all day. Are you coming up, or are you planning on waiting there until the end times?"
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-11 at 12:49 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #612
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Not a roll, no. A footnot, as I cannot describe actually being passively manipulative well enough without saying it. Same as when Thanqol let's on that Stephanie would question something if she were smarter. I actually thought I said specifically "not a roll", but I goofed. I intend to do the same when I can write something convincingly but the character is terrible at it. Make sense?

After some thought, I have trouble with it because Charlotte isn't actively manipulative, but she is good at it. How do I let you know the intent is manipulative when te character is being sincere? Why, I tell you. I'm taking the gun from a gramaton cleric.

Consequences. Too many consequences.
    Charlotte couldn't help but agree. Stephanie's world had crumbled, Marchande would forever worry about her identity and second guess every motion, and Charlotte herself looked like lake water burning silver under a golden coin of a moon. At least Rose was fine... Or... Was she? Her armor, was that not her skin?

Her eyes begin to burn, and like all good abodes, began to water. Her eyes must have paid for extra insurance, but they entered too much, and now tears were starting to take root like little weeds, growing down her face, and... Non! Stop it!

With a sniffle, Charlotte wipes her eyes on her sleeve an looks at Stephanie again, orbs shining. "I know. But if we have to be alone to succeed, I don't want to. Can we do that? Is it cheating if we work together? Please don't go, miss. We need you. I don't wish to be rude, but it seems you need us, too."

Taking three steps back, feet directly in line toe to heel, toe to heel, Charlotte moves toward the fire escape ladder. "Come in out of the cold, please?"

13. - Top - End - #613

"For what? To do what?" Stephanie hissed. "If I know what I have to do I can do it."

She turned away. "And besides. I have to take these stupid wallets back now. I didn't even want them in the first place. And Rose is still going to be mad. I'll... be back, or something. I've got to do this first."

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande rubs at her temple with one hand, and then makes an executive decision, at the moment. "Yes, yes, coming," she sends up the stairs, and then turns back to Rose. "Tell Stephanie - whatever just happened - tell her to get herself back over here, and Charlotte, too. Unless you want me to have paid that bus fare for practically nothing."

She bounds up the stairs, stooping at the top, breathing deep. All the better to smell mothballs with, apparently.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Banned

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Charlotte nods once.

"You should take Rose, with you. You both need this."

16. - Top - End - #616

Stephanie looked very uncomfortable at this. "Uh, she looked really mad for a moment there. I don't know what I could say to her. I should just do what she says."

17. - Top - End - #617
    Banned

"Well yes. You should do it, but you are doing it for two reasons, non? Because you know it was wrong and want to fix it, and because you don't want it between you and her. Correct? Then you should take her with you to show it. Otherwise One would think you just don't want to get in trouble."

A teary smile graces her face behind the ever-present silken stitches.

"No one that selfish would bother fighting professor McClaw. you don't need big deeds to make change."

With a pirouette and a forlorn whistle, Charlotte continues to the building's edge and starts down the ladder.

18. - Top - End - #618

"James McClaw isn't a professor. He's not even a doctor," Stephanie corrected while she thought. "Yeah, but I don't know what to say. Look. I'll do it but you have to talk her into it, okay?"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-12 at 03:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post

She bounds up the stairs, stooping at the top, breathing deep. All the better to smell mothballs with, apparently.
    The stairs up, like the entrance are just plain cement. But as Marchande goes up and passes through an archway, she finds herself transported to somewhere in the middle east. The entire upstairs room is lined with deep purple and navy blue persian rugs, highlighted in gold, red, and silver in various intricate patterns. They line the floors and the walls, and only the ceiling is a plane grey color. Stacked up below the rugs are nick-knacks and menageries of all sorts. Golden statuettes, old globes of the world with sea serpents, telescopes and an incense burner. And books, scrolls, shelves, a wooden chess set with all the pieces modeled as characters from Harry Potter, and more.

Standing in the center is a young girl. She looks Asian, about age 12, with black hair down in a bowl cut just below her ears and a one-piece flower-print dress in the same navy blue and gold style as the majority of the carpets. However, her arms and legs, where visible, are lined with small sticky hairs, and she has the compound eyes of a spider in place of regular pupils. As Marchande comes in, she says, in the voice of a 90-year old woman. "Welcome, welcome. Took you long enough. My name is Namine. And not that tramp from the Kingdom Hearts series. I beat her to it, and the first whippersnapper that makes that comparison is getting her mouth sealed shut. Now, how can I help you, dearie?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ettin in the Playground

Several things jockey to be said, all at once, but the one that shoves to the front of the line was simply, "Wait, did you say series? The silliest idea for a video game ever ended up as a series?" This truly was a strange and horrifying future world. That game - the original, apparently - had been brand-new and dumb back during her last semester of school...
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed they did, dearie, much to my regret. And that would mean your durance was nigh on 10 years." She walks over and gives Marchande a pat on the lower back (being too short to reach higher). "That's not the longest durance I've seen, but it is a great deal to endure."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-12 at 09:54 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Now is not the time to lose it. Kalina takes several deep breaths, pushing the matter deep under the surface so that she can be a functional member of the group. This is important, more important than her. She climbs the steps, following Marchande. Deep breaths. Bury it. Be useful.

The sights that await her when she opens her eyes again are... beyond her. Now, the little girl with the voice of an old woman, that is well within her scope of understanding. But then in and amongst the frankly opulent display of baubles and trinkets and unrecognizable figurines, this "Namine" and Marchande start speaking with disdain about kingdoms and hearts. A series? Rose can feel herself going numb. She blushes hotly, writhing in the humiliation of her own ignorance.

"...What the hell is a kingdom heart?"

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing to be embarrassed about, child," says Namine. She turns and walks over to Rose, who towers over the girl by a good three feet.

"This is the right placing for learning about what you've missed. Now, tell me which of these words you recognize, so I can do the explanation properly: television, computer, videogames, playstation."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course it was something to be embarrassed about. Not only did Rose have to deal with being sucked back into a world that had completely transformed since she'd last seen it, what memories she does have are of sustenance living on the streets. She fidgets uncomfortably.

"I've... only television."

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I'm...I'm sorry." *The little spider girl moves up and hugs Rose.*
    "I won't ask whether you experienced all that time, or simply reappeared much later in time, but I am sorry, much time has passed."

*Still hugging Rose, she holds on a minute, gives her a last squeeze and then lets go. Then she clears her throat*

"Now, a computer is a machine that does math for people. And, like a TV, it has a screen and can show images. It turns out that just doing math, along with writing in a special language, can do all sorts of things, so that computers can be used to make movies, do people's finances, store and keep track of all sorts of information so that you don't need filing cabinets, and many more things. Kingdom Hearts is a videogame, which is like a story book that you get to control and that is shown on your TV through a computer system. It's some dreck about a boy who travels through a magical world with a bunch of Disney characters and fights people with a key because a sword would have made parents upset.

I'm glad you told me that, by the way. If you are here for my help with a new life, it greatly assists me when I know what baseline my customers are starting from."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #626
    Banned

It's a rough thing, climbing down a ladder that long, when you've got the arm strength of a twelve year old. But slow and steady wins the race, and slow and steady comes with balance an care, and Humpty Fumpty never learned that lesson. Charlotte may have been just as yellow as a yolk, but she wasn't runny, no Monsieur, she did learn that lesson and and it's better to be a day late and a dollar short than scrambled.

Although upon reflection, she never has understood where the dollar factors in to things.

Sliding into the unlocked door, past the marvels of the Orient, and up the flight of stairs... Or was that up the stairs and past the marvels? Charlotte blanches silvery white for a moment, before remembering that the odds of needing yarn for this mental maze of Minotaurs were infinitesimal at worst.

Decorum though, that she knew, through and through. So light as a mouse, but loud as a lion, that was the rule, so no one would be saying anything they didn't want getting around when she shows. Klack! Klack! Klack! strike her hard-edged heels on the wood of the steps, and it takes some effort too, through the carpeting, but still she is determined to Klack like a duck (she giggles, it's not often a joke sneaks up on her like that) and walk in with everyone looking for once.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-10-14 at 08:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande finally musters enough impatience and courage to interrupt a conversation, after a few minutes of awkwardly looking around at the decor. "New lives," she says, rolling the words about her mouth. "Exactly why we came. Four clients: myself, Rose here, and our friends Charlotte and Stephanie. They stepped outside, I can round them back up. What do you need from me to make this process run smoothly?" She smiles the smile of the debutante, and takes a seat.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #628
    Banned

Marchande, madam of industriousness? She sounds like she could use some support, And support was a tune Charlotte knew. Tune, tune... Was she not going to work on whistling? Must remember to look in to that...

Charlotte curtsies at the top of the steps. "Beg pardon, madame, but may I intrude?" At the soonest hint of not-resistance, she steps up gingerly to Rose, laying her fingers on the archangel's upper arm. "Miss Stephanie would appreciate you helping her right her wrongs, so she can start her new identity with a fresh mind... Um, a clean... Conscience?" Stopping, her pallor marred by confusion for a moment, she stumbles on. "A new start. If you would, miss?"

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Namine looks at Marchande in response to the fake IDs. "Hmm, a dog. Apt to be loyal no doubt. And with some knowledge of the modern world. Yes, you seem competent enough. How are you with Microsoft Excel?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalina is quiet, lost in the moment. It seems to her that the world she's stepped into is many times more terrifying, more magical, and more powerful than the one she's spent her... could it have possibly been her entire life? She stands there, numbly. Hardly seeing or sensing or responding, until she feels a new hand upon her shoulder.

She turns her head, half listens to Charlotte's rambling and semi incoherent explanation. Request? Whatever. Her words about Stephanie. She turns away again, watching Marchande for the telltale and predictable clenching up that always followed the mention of dogs. Her eyes shift briefly to the doubtlessly ancient Namine, and her head hangs. To think that only a few hours ago, things seemed so promising...

"I'll... return. Please wait for me a little longer."

Down the stairs. Out the door. Rose stands outside and watches.