New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

[I don't see much drama to be gained here from a roll. It takes Charlotte some variable amount of time to get the sewing done, but feel free to RP it however you deem appropriate.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

"Could you also add a moon patch, please? I made a deal and that's a part of it," added Stephanie as Charlotte worked.

She flicked herself forward, aware, assertive. Everything she was waiting on was currently deferred so she was at a loose end. She started thinking what she could, should do next.

"Is there any other work we could do, or anyone we need to meet? Oh! There was a thing about a court token or whatsit?"

3. - Top - End - #723
    Banned

A frown. "I don't think I have the material for that, miss. Let me see."

The materials on hand were, indeed, sparse. Charlotte could fix that – anything would change if asked nicely, after all – but it would be temporary at best. Whatever she shaped woul get tired holding such an awkward pose eventually, and have to stretch out into what it really was. She would have to work with symbols, it seems.

"Miss Rose, may I have a feather?"

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    A frown. "I don't think I have the material for that, miss. Let me see."

The materials on hand were, indeed, sparse. Charlotte could fix that – anything would change if asked nicely, after all – but it would be temporary at best. Whatever she shaped woul get tired holding such an awkward pose eventually, and have to stretch out into what it really was. She would have to work with symbols, it seems.

"Miss Rose, may I have a feather?"
    Rose looks almost started at the request directed at her, but seeing Charlotte's earnest expression, she nods and extends her wing, not even flinching when the feather is removed.

[Minimalist characterization, but I don't want to misrepresent Rose before Phoe comes back.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

5. - Top - End - #725
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    [Minimalist characterization, but I don't want to misrepresent Rose before Phoe comes back.]
    Understood. I would avoid it but plucking one would be out I character. And possibly get me creamed.

With a bit of fussing, Charlotte procures a set of sewing snips. Taking the smallest feather she can, she brushes it beneath her nose, which wiggles a bit. Playing with the feather, eyes half-lidded, just to the point of prompting awkward questions before she sets to work.

From the center, she cuts a bulge alon the top and bottom, perpendicular to the Rachis, before taking a parenthetical slip from both sides of the remaining feather. It's hard work, like cutting a penny – the feathers, soft as down, are still hard as rock. When finished with the procedure, Charlotte looped back and forth across the central spine, between the barbs, embroidering the bits of fester into the scarf like she were attaching a button. The end result is like an open winged beetle, and visible on almost any new age shop they come across;

)O(
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-18 at 09:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh! There was a thing about a court token or whatsit?"
    This line just seems to sink into Namine as she's bustling around.

"Hmm, I didn't give you those? Oh dear, all that bustling in and out seems to have distracted me. I must be going addle-brained in my old age." She strokes her spidery head in consternation, blinking all her eyes several times.

"Right, sorry, let me get them."

She moves around the room to a large wooden chest of drawers covered with all manner of knickknacks: golden weights, old crumbling scrolls, a pair of open maps that have pictures of dragons on them. She raps on the chest twice, *rap* *rap* waits a beat, then raps again three times *rap* *rap* *rap* and the chest suddenly seems to bend down over the top of her and open up a drawer. It...spits out four small cards...then closes up its drawer and curls back into its normal shape.

Namine walks to each of you and hands you one of the cards. Upon inspection, it appears to be made of soft quartz, a white stone, totally unmarked, but as you move or shift it, it reflects a rainbow of colors, even when there isn't the proper light for such reflections.

"The default is they look like the city's cheap plastic library cards, hehehe" she crows. "They always appear magical to changelings, though you can infuse them with a point of glamour to make anyone see the mask, if you'd like. You're also free to add to or alter your token, as long as you keep the surface intact."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

7. - Top - End - #727

"But what do they do?" said Stephanie, turning it over in her hands.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

"But what do they do?" said Stephanie, turning it over in her hands.
    "Do? Nothing, they're just a hedgespun token that looks pretty. I suppose you could fascinate the simple-minded with all the colors, but that's hardly the point.

Girl, you need to think about what meaning things have, not just what fun they are. These tokens are meant to be hard to reproduce so you can prove you're from the Freehold when you meet other changelings. Showing this token in the right places will open doors, give you food and shelter, or get you the favors you need to survive.

If you break it or lose it, you'll need to find it because we don't replace these. If you're careless with it or, worse, you intentionally abuse it, someone will hunt you down to discuss the problem. This is now a part of your identity, treat it as such."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

9. - Top - End - #729
    Banned

"Do? Nothing, they're just a hedgespun token that looks pretty. I suppose you could fascinate the simple-minded with all the colors, but that's hardly the point."
    Charlotte slows the revolutions of her wrist to a stop, and looks up obliquely across her brow at the spidery elementary schooler.

Indeed.

"It looks like a library card? If I can change a library card into, say, a key card, could I change this into a key card as well? Or a unique ID?"

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

"It looks like a library card? If I can change a library card into, say, a key card, could I change this into a key card as well? Or a unique ID?"
    [Hm, did you have a rule in mind for this? There's a section in Rites of Spring about making hedgespun that I haven't read in detail, but is probably relevant. The answer below is generic, I'll look up the rule tomorrow if you didn't have something in mind.]

"Perhaps. You'd need to do a little glamour weaving yourself I'd imagine, and I don't know if you have the skill to make it stick."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #731
    Banned

[Hm, did you have a rule in mind for this? There's a section in Rites of Spring about making hedgespun that I haven't read in detail, but is probably relevant. The answer below is generic, I'll look up the rule tomorrow if you didn't have something in mind.]

"Perhaps. You'd need to do a little glamour weaving yourself I'd imagine, and I don't know if you have the skill to make it stick."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trivial Reworking can turn a bus pass into an ID card, or a credit card into a key card, or a knife into a fork. I am not sure if I could turn the token from "token with a library card mien" to "token with a secure pass mien", or if instead I would turn it from "token with mien" to "actual secure pass" and be hillariously ****ed forevermore.

Charlotte nods absently. A token that can be reworked to look like an official card for whatever, even if it required work, was more useful than Namine let on.

12. - Top - End - #732

"Do? Nothing, they're just a hedgespun token that looks pretty. I suppose you could fascinate the simple-minded with all the colors, but that's hardly the point.

Girl, you need to think about what meaning things have, not just what fun they are. These tokens are meant to be hard to reproduce so you can prove you're from the Freehold when you meet other changelings. Showing this token in the right places will open doors, give you food and shelter, or get you the favors you need to survive.

If you break it or lose it, you'll need to find it because we don't replace these. If you're careless with it or, worse, you intentionally abuse it, someone will hunt you down to discuss the problem. This is now a part of your identity, treat it as such."
    "Right. Magic ID badgy-whatsit," said Stephanie. She immediately thought about it in terms of the enormous security hole it presented.

"Right. Well, if that's that thing - then the thing with the police detectives computer just needs a swing by and set up tonight, and then we do it for real tomorrow, if that's what we're going with," said Stephanie.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

"Right. Magic ID badgy-whatsit," said Stephanie. She immediately thought about it in terms of the enormous security hole it presented.

"Right. Well, if that's that thing - then the thing with the police detectives computer just needs a swing by and set up tonight, and then we do it for real tomorrow, if that's what we're going with," said Stephanie.
    "It might be a little late, dearie. I think it's nearly half past 10 now." She says that as though she's not sure, though in fact there are clocks and pocket-watches interspersed throughout the store and a glance around shows it is plainly half past 10 now. The time just seems to have flown by.

"Did you say that you had a place to stay the night? Doggie's apartment won't be ready for another day or two, I'll need to get it cleaned up properly."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-19 at 12:42 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

It is nearly half past ten, and Marchande is thinking through a mind full of wool. Slip-sliding into curling up by the fire. Someone needs to drag everyone home, someone needs to be the sober one. Is she sober? Most likely.

"We do. We can take the bus back. Thank you, Miss Namine."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #735

"No! Staying up late is good. It's daytime that's awful," said Stephanie hurriedly. "If you guys want to go back, I'll wander around and meet you back there?"

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

"No! Staying up late is good. It's daytime that's awful," said Stephanie hurriedly. "If you guys want to go back, I'll wander around and meet you back there?"
    "Well," Marchande says, looking Stephanie up and down, "You're obviously competent enough to come when needed, so I don't have a problem with that. What time shall we meet again?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #737

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    "Well," Marchande says, looking Stephanie up and down, "You're obviously competent enough to come when needed, so I don't have a problem with that. What time shall we meet again?"
    "Well, I'll get back later tonight and you'll all be asleep by then, so probably next evening?" said Stephanie.

Rather than drawing this out, she took this opportunity to leave at a run; nowhere in particular, just moving for the joy of it.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I'll get back later tonight and you'll all be asleep by then, so probably next evening?" said Stephanie.

Rather than drawing this out, she took this opportunity to leave at a run; nowhere in particular, just moving for the joy of it.
    [Would Stephanie gravitate towards main streets or side streets?]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #739

[Would Stephanie gravitate towards main streets or side streets?]
    [Let's say main streets]

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

[Let's say main streets]
    The San Francisco night really isn't that dark when you're downtown. With the fog cleared out, the scene isn't the deserted and claustrophobic one that met the changelings when they first returned to the mortal world.

Instead, there are all sorts of of lights and songs. An old theater advertises some kind of modern play, the pictures ringed in lights showing everyone dressed in black, skin-tight bodysuits and one of them holding an apple in his mouth.
    Another theater a few blocks down advertises "The City's Best Male Revue!"

There are liquor stores and evening markets still open, and more than a few bars and some jazz clubs. As Stephanie makes her way up the street, she gets closer to Union Square, a hopping area of the city that consists of a bunch of closed department stores (because who wants to visit Macy's and Neiman Marcus at 10:30 at night?) and a bunch of open bars and small restaurants all scattered around a wide open raised platform, maybe 100 feet square, with a 50 foot tall statue of winged victory in the middle of it. Of course, that's all dark, and the only guy in the actual square right now is an old saxophone player who seems to have fallen asleep against the column with the statue, his hat still out as if expecting donations and clutching the sax to to his chest like a teddy bear.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-19 at 08:14 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #741

Stephanie fished out a single coin she'd kept from the earlier fiasco and tossed it in the sax player's case. "Debt paid," she muttered to the Wyrd, and continued to wander on, quietly wondering what a "Revue" was.

She absorbed the sights and sounds, followed where her feet lead her, and unless anything interesting came up she'd head back to Swifthoof's to sleep by 4am.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

She absorbed the sights and sounds, followed where her feet lead her, and unless anything interesting came up she'd head back to Swifthoof's to sleep by 4am.
    As Stephanie is wandering through the square, one bar seems to catch her attention. It's a big place. It's hard to tell from the outside, but it looks like it's got the whole basement floor of one of these multistory downtown highrises. The entrance has a black with gold columns and railings, and the tarp reads "Enchanted Dungeon" in an absolutely corny set of highly stylized script that looks like something that a monk would write in an 11th century abbey.

Nevertheless, the smell, the taste of ecstasy and desire wafting out of that entrance is positively intoxicating to a changeling.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #743

A lesser person would have hesitated before walking straight on in to the mystery dungeon.

Not Stephanie!

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

San Francisco. Early morning. Very early. Suit cutting down the sidewalk. Steam curling up from the lid, smell of crushed beans and vigor. Black shoes, click-clack.

Listen, listen, just breathe in. Dirt. Sweat. Soil. Gas on the wind. Not like home... back there. The house back there, with the smell of perfumes and cleaning products that smelled like ivy and fern. She pulls her jacket tight against her shoulders. Cold is good.

She steps off the street, out of the wind. Through the door, up the stairs, drop the loan from Swifthoof on the counter. (Going to pay him back. Have to pay him back.) Computers that are old and yet weren't even on the design board when she was a student.

Pen, notepad, papers. Chair creaks slightly under her weight; back is stiff and shoulders straight, proper gentlemanly posture. Sniff the room, taste emotions, caked and weak and old. (Sloth. Lustlustlust. Envy and lies and waste.) Expose pen's black tip. Username, Password, Internet Explorer.

Wine.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Banned

Charlotte stands still, opened-mouthed as Stephanie flees into the night she's so boldly dedicated herself to. Words hang on her lips, about to drop but deciding the distance too great. "I'll come with" they said, and "Let's go together". The missed oppoertunity almost hurts, physically.

Almost.

Charlotte is a big girl, right? (don't answer oh please don't answer that)

"I'm going to go with Stephanie, Madame. It's a pleasure to have been in your shop, Madame Namine. Have a good evening." Leaving Namine's sewing kit neatly repackaged on the desk space she was using, Charlotte curtsies once, to the room, and moves quickly and quietly down the stairs and out the door.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Stephanie at a run is almost 50% faster than Charlotte. There's essentially no time to get Stephanie's attention before she's off into the night. If Charlotte wants to catch up, she needs some other method to track Stephanie or to make a logical guess where Stephanie is going because Charlotte can't keep up physically.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

A lesser person would have hesitated before walking straight on in to the mystery dungeon.

Not Stephanie!
    [Okay, let's start Stephanie's super ultra awesome solo nighttime adventureฎ]

As Stephanie opens the doors, she's first greeted...well actually she's greeted by another set of doors in a small foyer, even thicker than the outer doors, probably to keep the sound in.

But when she opens those doors, the force of the music playing and the lights flying through the room practically sends her flying off her feet.

The lights are dim and there are various glow sticks and colored lights illuminating a lot of the room, which is packed with people. What Stephanie can see is a weird combination of the rave and the romantic. The room itself extends down the whole block, a few hundred feet all filled to the brim with dancers. The floor (where visible) and the walls shout baroque, 19th century ballroom. There are several ornate gold chandeliers lit with only dim candlelight (or maybe fake candles, it's hard to tell) covering the ceiling, and the floor is fine marble in an alternating black and white checker pattern. The walls have faux-stone pillars every 15 feet or so, some of them with old-fashioned gargoyles leering out at the audience or sticking out forked tongues in defiance of whatever would be defying them. The room itself has a higher ceiling than the outer foyer, probably about 30 feet up, and it's ringed with a black balcony rimmed in shadows.

The modern is then mixed in with this setting: speakers next to some of the gargoyles, colored light-stands placed around the edges of the room pointing upwards at an angle and a few others held up by wires near the chandeliers pointing downwards.

Although most of the room is dance floor, at the far end, there's a bar and a DJ station. The DJ is raised up maybe 5 feet or so and has a massive speaker system and a whole set of interlocking and shifting spotlights floating around the system. The bar is next to the DJ station, sort of tucked into the right corner of the room. It's lit with fluorescent blue neon lights, and looks like it seats a good 20 people around an old-fashioned wooden counter made of sturdy oak.

It's too hard to make out anyone specific from this distance, but to Stephanie's view, the bartender and the DJ are distinctly NOT human in their silhouettes, with the bartender in particular have a hulking silhouette with an arched back that looks well over 10 feet in height (guessing based on other silhouettes nearby).

The current song is the classic that was never actually a classic, "Don't Stop Believing," which is belting throughout the hall.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-21 at 05:05 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #748

Stephanie briefly paused to look unimpressed with the music selection. "Don't Stop Believing" was a song you sang aloud in the shower, not pumped out at full blast in a nightclub.

She also caressed the edge of her scarf and the new moon patch that had been added, whispering to the darkness. She was cautious enough to see who these inhuman silhouettes were before approaching.

[Elemental Darkness 1: Perfect darkvision, catch is met]

29. - Top - End - #749
    Banned

eek Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

Stephanie at a run is almost 50% faster than Charlotte. There's essentially no time to get Stephanie's attention before she's off into the night. If Charlotte wants to catch up, she needs some other method to track Stephanie or to make a logical guess where Stephanie is going because Charlotte can't keep up physically.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, yesterday sucked and I didn't get anything done except for half-heartedly distracting myself.

Twenty seconds. It had taken her maybe twenty seconds! Rather than upset Charlotte is proud of Stephanie. Inconvenient but her speed is remarkable. Of course, now she had to chase shadows and hope that one out of all those she caught ha kind violet eyes.

Thinking, she slows to a crawl. Stephanie looked relieved to have something to do with her skills. She had some sort of argument with Rose, and didn't wan to think about it. She loved being a thing of darkness and swiftness. So what does that mean?

Charlotte stops. Breathes.

Stephanie wants to move, to act, to do. She wants to belong, slipping into the world like she hadn't missed a beat. She wouldn't take the alleys, but the main roads. She owns the night and needn't skulk. and without a destination she would gravitate towards the most colorful, swirling... Er, that is, the most emotion, glamour-filled place she came across. But...

Charlotte opens her eyes and sighs. She doesn't know the city, not yet, not really. She will have to guess, she supposes. Scanning the streets for the most noisome, raucous and enticingly colorful swirls and whorls of glamour, Charlotte steps out onto the sidewalk and begins the journey of finding a shadow amidst the lights.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled wits+Empathy for the fun of it on figuring out clues of Stephanie's mode of travel. Not quite a dramatic success but almost. So main streets an some guesses work, and we're pretty sure she hasn't taken to the rooftops, but I'll have to have an Oficial roll of some sort to figure out if I'm even goin the right direction. Thoughts?

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled wits+Empathy for the fun of it on figuring out clues of Stephanie's mode of travel. Not quite a dramatic success but almost. So main streets an some guesses work, and we're pretty sure she hasn't taken to the rooftops, but I'll have to have an Oficial roll of some sort to figure out if I'm even goin the right direction. Thoughts?
    [I don't think that's a bad choice for a skill roll. You're too far to pick up the glamour trail, so just wandering the right direction seems to make the most sense to me. I'll take your word that you got several successes and say that Charlotte heads the right way, but in a somewhat wandering manner, so you arrive about 10 minutes behind Stephanie. This means that Charlotte will arrive about the time that Stephanie is in the middle of an extended conversation or after Stephanie does something.]

[Elemental Darkness 1: Perfect darkvision, catch is met]
    [Perfect vision and no empathy. Winning combination.]

With perfect vision, Stephanie gets a better look at the people throughout the "Enchanted Dungeon." A lot of them seem totally out of their minds, their faces contorted in joy totally incommensurate with Stephanie's evaluation of the song.

At the end of the bar, the DJ appears to be a thin man made of granite. He's got a greyish tuft of wide rock, sort of like a mane that hangs all around his neck, which is what was distorting his figure from a distance. His face is twisted into a flattened muzzle of polished stone, sort of like Marchande but less pronounced.

The bartender is a huge, hairy bestial creature. It's hard to tell exactly what species he might be, perhaps some sort of bison crossed with a gorilla. At just about 10 feet tall he's got grey horns with striations over his head and his back arches up in a massive hairy hump covered with black and grey fur like an ancient silver-back. His arms and shoulders look like something out of a Mr. Universe competition with shaggy black fur hanging off of them and muscles sprouting out everywhere. He slims down to somewhat more normal proportions as you get to his chest and legs, and his pants form the only clothing he's wearing, a serviceable pair of blue jeans with a brown leather belt. His feet end in shaggy hooves with that same thick black hair hanging in several tufts.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-21 at 11:01 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes