New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Marchande finds a blistering array of websites for the wine connoisseur, listing everything from the uncouth rosι to the classic Merlot.

The Faerie Fire vineyard has only a small webpage. The main address is in Napa, about an hour and a half drive from San Francisco, but their sales branch is in the SoMa district (South of Market Street, right near the Bay and the Baseball Stadium). Their logo is a curled flame looping around a stylized woman's head inscribed in argent on a navy blue background. [Would any of you enterprising artists care to draw this?].

The website has the following blurb "Faerie Fire is a new wine label, established in 1992. We breed a special type of grape for our chardonnay and use a recipe brought over from the mysterious deserts of Ethiopia. The unique blend has a fiery tang that will make you feel like you're drinking the nectar of the gods themselves.

Our vineyard also produces several fine varieties of Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled five dice, and got 10, 2, 8, 6, 2. Two successes.

It's hard, you know. Trying to remember what citrus tastes like, trying to memorize the aromas and flavors of freshly cut grass or herbal notes, keeping the nature of Sauvignon Blanc separate from Pinot Grigio and Pinot Gris. (The Napa Valley, California's most famous and widely recognized winemaking region...) Dogs don't need to keep anything straight, they just need to remember when breakfast, lunch and dinner are.

Marchande, tired-eyed, ends up falling back on habits that are comforting due to their age, ones that she can't even remember using. Reciting information out loud, writing it down, reaching for a cup of coffee that isn't there. (Quality and reputation; Cabernet Sauvignon, king of the red wine grape varieties...)

Is Stephanie back? Did they all make their way home? Marchande shakes her head, growling at herself. She's not her sister's keeper. (Not that she's going to see her sister anytime soon. She's not going to see any of her family. She's been gone for the better part of a decade, Dad probably gave up years ago, fired the private investigators, sued the school. Better not to poke into those things.)

She opens a new window, opens up the search engine, hovers her fingers over the keys. All she needs to do is type in R-U-T-H... R-U-T-H... no, maybe she should just search for J-A-C-O-B... or was it J-O-S-E-P-H...

She closes the window. Rattles off the names of the wines without looking. Chardonnay from Ethiopia. Sauvignon Blanc. Pinot Grigio. She knows their tastes, can imagine them on the tongue. She could walk right down to the office.

After all, those are the important things to remember.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Perhaps unwisely, Charlotte bundles her skirts between her knees and hunkers down, to try and help the Minotaur up by bracing her hands user it's neck.
    The beastly creature lets out a blood-curdling scream of rage as Charlotte bends down near him and he begins to recover from the alcohol.

str+brawl
    Spoiler
    Show
    (10d10)[10][8][7][6][6][7][9][1][5][10](69)

He wraps his arm around Charlotte as he stands back up, picking her up like a ragdoll and lofting her over his head as though she weighs nothing, snarling and screaming all the while. Being that close, the smell of alcohol in his fur is practically overwhelming.

[In game rules, he pulled off a grapple very very well.]

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled five dice, and got 10, 2, 8, 6, 2. Two successes.
    Marchande has no trouble committing the info to memory. It's right in there along with her teammates' names and her sense of direction.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-05 at 08:28 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Banned

[What is his strength? It's subtracted from everything I can do at this point, and it can't influence my actions.]

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

[What is his strength? It's subtracted from everything I can do at this point, and it can't influence my actions.]
    [It's 5, his temporary increase having worn off after he grabbed Charlotte.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

5. - Top - End - #785
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    [It's 5, his temporary increase having worn off after he grabbed Charlotte.]
    Chance die, huh? No way this could go wrong!
    Oh, charlotte's at a chance die purely out of having absolutely no points in brawl. Well, I could have rolled this without input, Sorry Anarion. Man. What does it say that I kinda want a fumble here? Ah well, either dramatic success or dramatic failure. Either is dramatic! Son trust myself so leaving this up to the Internet.

Overbearing attack: immobilize - (1d10)[1](1)

I'll be honest, I was hoping this would happen so I could draw it. XD

Dangling (kind of) above the beast's head like some human barbell in a poorly wrought contest of machismo, Charlotte Umphs once in surprise, before setting her lip and rolling, flaring her legs and bringing her skirt – thick, tiered, and tarp-like – flaring out like a parachute.

Moments later, "free" of the minotaur's clutches but not quite actually free, Charlotte hangs from her skirt down the minotaur's back, cloth caught in the fierce grip of a wooden plank mounted on Minos' horns. Stockinged legs wiggle above the angry beast's head, looking to Stephanie all the world like grotuesque antennae, before the wizened crosses her ankles shoves her hands up – down? – to protect what modesty remains to her.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-12-05 at 11:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte does manage to flare our her dress, right over her head. In response to her motion, the bison-gorilla man simply flips her over while continuing to hold her up. That leaves her upside down, blood rushing to her head and her undergarments on full display for the house. The clumsy oaf also manages to knock her head on a piece of the damaged counter as he's flipping her around. [Charlotte takes 1 bashing damage]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

7. - Top - End - #787
    Colossus in the Playground

Stephanie took a long sigh. After that entire setup and effortless incapacitation, Charlotte had wandered directly into the bear's jaws and the entire thing had gone directly to farce.

She couldn't exactly provide meaningful diplomacy here, given that the giant had been angered by her in the first place. She couldn't go in and try and help because the same grapple would happen to her. She could throw things but that'd probably just make him angry. There was no graceful way to progress from this situation.

She'd let Charlotte try and figure out her own way out, and hopefully learn something. She'd step in if things got serious though.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-05 at 11:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Banned

"Arrrnnnnnn!"

It's less a word, and more of a shrill noise like some cartoon beetle crying in distress. The blood was rushing to charlotte's head, painting ER face into a sick, swollen thing like a rag doll dipped in milk and honey. And here now, a stagehand pulled into the open by one of the agonists and the only thought in her head was that she was glad this happened before the lights went up, even though she dimly realizes this particular play isn't hers to set up, and maybe this is what all the people she had prepared things for felt like? Not strong and heroic and narrative but just scared and confused? It would certainly be nice if Stephanie were to help, especially...

Quote Originally Posted by Qian Long View Post
    "Ah, I'm sorry but it is going to be somewhat vague. We only have one strict requirement, which is to help another member of the court if they're in serious trouble and you have the power to help them."
    Oh.

Oh.

"Put me down, Monsieur minotaur! Or stop flailing and screaming! I want to talk to you!" Letting a little bit of her hurr pride seep into her voice, Charlotte desperately hopes Stephanie hasn't located and picked a fight with the one freebooter in the city.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-12-06 at 12:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte desperately hopes Stephanie hasn't located and picked a fight with the one freebooter in the city.
    [Luck is not with you]

The gorilla-bison man does not follow Charlotte's instructions, though he does cease his screaming and growling. He shifts Charlotte into one arm, still upside down and with her dress caught on his horn, which he doesn't seem to care about.

To Stephanie, he says "this doll a friend of yours? Let's find out. How about you come out of there and stand still while I hit you this time? Otherwise I'll start breaking some pieces off her." He grins widely, exposing rows of yellowed teeth, even as a bit of alcohol bedraggled fur obscures part of the smile.

Meanwhile, Rocky puts on a new song, utterly inappropriate for the occasion.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-06 at 01:54 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Knowledge is power, direction is power, power is freedom, and the sky's blue-bright in the morning, shadows sharp-cut as the sun rises. SoMa; connected with the Internet (and oh did it boom), a part of the town that's out-of-sync with the rest with its streets, all the roads at an angle (if she were more magic could she taste it?), the fetish-festivals (don't go there, Ruth, they're hardly respectable, she can hear her father's concern dripping out the phone).

What's in SoMa? Wine and people and opportunities. Her hands - hands, not paws - are in her pockets as she walks, breath curling up in the air in the morning chill. She looks about, trying to see something interesting, half-hoping something would happen to her - that she'd see a miracle walking down the street, or that she'd find some way to focus all this she could smell, this emotion-sniffing that curled up to her nose. (Was this normal? Charlotte described things in colors. Was smelling the lust on the keyboards and the sorrow around the hospital-gates normal - at least to the ones who came back?) Someone whose smell was strong enough to eat, who was just packed with that Glamour. Glamour was luck and luck was a job, after all.

She passes a guy walking his dog. She glares at him, silently, striding past him with a snort of contempt. (At least the dog was happy, she could tell from its smell, its wag.) She watches the cars zip by, wondering at how the styles have changed in just a decade, not recognizing even the old ones. Cars never were her forte. She'd only barely scraped by that driver's exam, and that was before her extended leave of absence.

Voice, voice. She practices introducing herself when she's alone at the lights, waiting to cross the street. Smooth rolling Gentleman-voice, bit of a lilt, jolly-good. No, not what she wanted, even if she fell into it. Stephanie-voice, all chipper and cheerful - no, not her. She tries at it again, stabbing slightly at her father's accent, almost-American, just a hint of foreignness to it; she smooths it, makes it rich, gives it the dignity of the Gentleman-voice but makes it her own. A good voice. "Good morning, I'm March Anders, here about the vacancy in sales. I've had a colleague send in a recommendation - and I'm excited about getting to know this new family in the wine business." There, yes, good.

She walks, and lets the city unfold in front of her, and isn't it magic? Just waiting to be caught with both hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm looking for opportunities for Marchande to harvest some Glamour before she ends up at the Faerie Fire offices, and I'm not against her running into some San Francisco weirdness; she's traveling southbound into SoMa.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2012-12-06 at 06:10 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

As Marchande walks along the area near the bay, she sees a lot of other people moving about. A thought occurs to her: the baseball team is home today, they're probably playing later. That's confirmed when she walks about a black man standing on the street corner and shouting "Tickets! Get yer tickets here!" at the top of his lungs. Further on, there's a father and son playing catch on a small bit of grass highlighted by a statue of a gigantic bow and arrow that must be 40 feet tall.

As Marchande turns further into SoMa, it gets a little bit more dicey. The streets are dirtier, and one spot has a whole string of homeless people. One of them comes up near her and starts blabbering. Something about the end of the world, buildings devouring people, don't eat the cursed soup, and flying monkeys, at least those are the more coherent word sets. On the other side of the street, two men in extremely tight leather pants and spiked collars see Marchande with the homeless guy and move away, keeping their distance. They look like they're weaving a bit as they're walking, and Marchande notices one give the other one's butt a pinch.

The Faerie Fire vineyard's sales office is an unremarkable building: two stories, painted white with a green roof. The building takes up the entire block and was obviously once a warehouse, but now it's been subdivided into several small storefronts, each of which gets maybe 10 feet of space. Next door on the left is a bakery supply outlet, and on the right is a sign that advertises itself as a wedding planner. The faerie fire vineyard itself has a small sticker of the golden gate bridge on its front window, and next to that a rainbow flag, placed at an odd angle. Marchande remembers that as the sign of a building protected by the freehold, where violence is forbidden.

[That was a summary of the whole walk. You can latch on to any of the people or places mentioned and try to harvest glamour or divert and explore.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

A young boy and his father toss a ball around on the green, in the middle of the city. A woman stops, smiles at them, and continues on. It doesn't seem right, somehow, to approach them. Let them have the goodness of the morning.

The woman continues on, pigtails bouncing slightly as she walks, muttering to herself. Maybe that's what attracted the other rambler, the one who came up into her blind spot as she was glancing over at the couple - they had to be a couple, and why in blazes were they wearing collars, who would willingly wear one of those bloody things - and started telling her about everything.

Now, maybe it wasn't a good idea. If she had been really thinking about it, she would have backed away and made herself scarce. But instead, she breathed in deeply - thatwasnottherightidea - and stepped back, trying to taste madness and fervor all at once. "Excuse me," she managed to say, blinking back tears, seriously, what was that smell, "What do you mean?" Buildings that ate people? Probably crazy. Most likely crazy. Oh goodness he smelled like crazy.

And she was breathing that crazy in. If he tried to touch her, she was going to the other side of the street, even if that was where the stupid collar people were.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    And she was breathing that crazy in. If he tried to touch her, she was going to the other side of the street, even if that was where the stupid collar people were.
    [I think something like composure+empathy would be good for a glamour harvest here, to stay calm and absorb the crazy.]

"Ohmygod, man, yeah buildings that ate people, yo thaswai'msayin. You go in and they close up and you're in somebody's belly like freezy spazy. And it's like digestin you like glomps and swomps and smucking and stuff. So bright, but they told me don't head towards the light, light gonna smack you good, don't head the what to the toward like I'm sayin man. We're like flies man, flies get in your soup and you eat that **** and that **** eats you and you're all up in eating each other and getting all cursed for bein a cannibal and that's like normal cuz we all cannibals man. We all flinging cannibals ain'thaso?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    6, 10, 5, 1, 2. 10-Again Die was 3. Well, that was pretty bad, wasn't it?

This was the worst instinct that anyone has ever had. Marchande raises her hands, backing away nervously, and says the first thing that comes to mind: "Isn't it only cannibalism if you're eating your own species?" There's... certainly something there, when she focuses, but it tastes like crazy and smells like whatever this man smells like, and there has to be a better way to harvest this Glamour.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #795

[Luck is not with you]

The gorilla-bison man does not follow Charlotte's instructions, though he does cease his screaming and growling. He shifts Charlotte into one arm, still upside down and with her dress caught on his horn, which he doesn't seem to care about.

To Stephanie, he says "this doll a friend of yours? Let's find out. How about you come out of there and stand still while I hit you this time? Otherwise I'll start breaking some pieces off her." He grins widely, exposing rows of yellowed teeth, even as a bit of alcohol bedraggled fur obscures part of the smile.

Meanwhile, Rocky puts on a new song, utterly inappropriate for the occasion.
    "All right, asshat? You want to go? Let's go," Stephanie said, standing up and flicking her cloak back into a long, slender scarf. "Right here, right now, until one of us gives up."

"But before we do this, some ground rules. One, you let her go and neither of us hurts any bystanders. Two, this is one on one, no help from anyone. Three, the loser owes the winner for wasting her time." Stephanie said.

"That is, unless you're too afraid to fight a little girl."

[Pledge:

Tasks:
    Forbiddance: (-1) "Don't Hurt Bystanders"
    Forbiddance: (-1) "Don't Accept Help"
    Boons:
    Favour, Medial (+2) - Loser owes the winner.
    Blessing, Lesser (+1) - Quick Draw, both parties
    Adroitness, Lesser (+1) - Brawl, both parties
    Sanction:
    Favour, Medial (-2)
    Duration:
    Scene (+0)

Including a Manipulation+Persuasion roll to get him to agree without argument if I must? (I'd particularly like to trick him into agreeing while he's still stuck on the ground)]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-07 at 03:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

He wraps his arm around Charlotte as he stands back up,
    [From my earlier post. Does this affect the details of your oath?]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #797

[From my earlier post. Does this affect the details of your oath?]
    [Missed that. And no. He still has an enormous thing stuck to his head and is soaked head to toe in flammable, flammable alcohol, right?

I think my plan's still good.]

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Without answering or making any sign that he heard, he pulls Charlotte off his horn and flings her into the crowd.

(4d10)[2][5][9][7](23)

She thuds into one of the dancers and both of them go down on the floor, though it seems like his throw wasn't especially hard or focused [Charlotte takes 1 bashing damage]

"Okay, I accept" he says, after having disposed of his attachment.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-07 at 10:12 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #799

Without answering or making any sign that he heard, he pulls Charlotte off his horn and flings her into the crowd.

[roll0]

She thuds into one of the dancers and both of them go down on the floor, though it seems like his throw wasn't especially hard or focused [Charlotte takes 1 bashing damage]

"Okay, I accept" he says, after having disposed of his attachment.
    "Awesome," said Stephanie, quick drawing the fire extinguisher she'd been moving herself into position above and hitting him in the face with a concentrated stream of complicated chemicals.

[Fire extinguisher rules, p91 of the Armoury. Damage is -2, pool is Dex+Athletics, any success deals no damage and results in the effects of Pepper Spray - everyone's favourite tear gas variation - until washed out with soapy water. While under the effect of pepper spray, all dice pools and resistance traits, including defense, are at a -3 penalty.

Attack roll (10-2=8):

4 - 9 - 9 - 6 - 1 - 8 - 9 - 2 (Avg: 6.0)

4 successes.

Stephanie's defense is currently at 4.]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-07 at 07:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

[Ah, good old Schroedinger's fire extinguisher, eh?]

Gorilla Grodd screams in rage, flailing about and charging in Stephanie's general direction

[Basically, a running body slam, which will just be a brawl attack.

-7 from defense and pepper spray, +1 from bonus brawl, +2 from all out attack. (4d10)[4][10][7][6](27)
    10 again was a 10, then a 2.]

Although he's mostly blind, the steamrolling behemoth manages to clip Stephanie with a solid hit, right in the stomach. That one's going to leave a bruise. [2 bashing damage

Charlotte can attempt to recover now, and can act. Gorilla Grodd is at init 10.]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-07 at 07:28 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #801

Well, this wouldn't be sporting if he didn't get one blow in, right?

Stephanie backed off into the crowd, focusing on dodging and adding distance between her and him. Once she was out of melee range it would be time to change up her tactics.

[Dex+Stealth to blend into the crowd, as well as a Full Defence action. I think there's a big penalty for doing it while standing immediately in front of him, but that's offset by the face acid and a really big dice pool.

Defence is now 8.]

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Gorilla Grodd shouts and rages, seemingly sniffing for Stephanie, though he snorts and coughs as extinguisher fluid gets in his nose. Weirdly, even with all this destruction and one of the participants now in their midst, the crowd doesn't seem to have reacted at all. It simply continued dancing, a throng of people lost to their surroundings.

Trying to get at least a general bearing on Stephanie, Gorrila Grodd charges again.

[Chance die (1d10)[7](7)]

However, he doesn't pick the right direction and simply stampedes into empty space on the dance floor before stopping and trying to get his bearings.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-07 at 08:18 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #803

Stephanie produces a lighter that she'd stolen from someone earlier. She lights it, and tosses it over at Donkey Kong.

She wouldn't have set him on fire. Y'know, if he hadn't hurt her friend.

[Dex+Athletics to throw into the alcohol-soaked gorrila and ignite, -1 because of the improvised weapon:

6 - 9 - 3 - 7 - 1 - 7 - 8 - 2 - 9
    3 successes.

This level of fire/heat (torch) will do 2 levels of automatic damage every round.]

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Stephanie produces a lighter that she'd stolen from someone earlier. She lights it, and tosses it over at Donkey Kong.

She wouldn't have set him on fire. Y'know, if he hadn't hurt her friend.

[Dex+Athletics to throw into the alcohol-soaked gorrila and ignite, -1 because of the improvised weapon:

6 - 9 - 3 - 7 - 1 - 7 - 8 - 2 - 9
    3 successes.

This level of fire/heat (torch) will do 2 levels of automatic damage every round.]
    [Actually, since the guy is so huge, I think it's probably bonfire/torch for 3 damage a round. Anyway, I'm going to wait a bit for Charlotte to act, since we did 2 turns without her.]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-07 at 08:37 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

25. - Top - End - #805

[Actually, since the guy is so huge, I think it's probably bonfire/torch for 3 damage a round.]
    [I'm not going to argue with you giving me bonus damage, dude]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-07 at 08:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Half hour making decent post.
    One text message incoming.
    Browser crash.
    Not a happy pony.

Alcohol itself tends not to burn below a certain poof due to too much water snuffing the fire. Minos here went up like a flash bang, not a torch. Unless his clothes and fur catch he will burn for approximately six seconds before it flickers down to a pale stink. As an experiment, get cheap perfume,va lighter, and a friend who isn't afraid of fire. Douse arm in perfume. Light. Pretty blueish flames, low heat, low duration, still induces panic but not damaging - unless flinging your arm around launches a droplet of flaming perfume at the drapes.

Pyromania is why I don't have anymore Legos, actually.

Also, I totally shouldn't have bought that "work is picking up and I'll be sparse" bit, not when both thanq and I were pushing for some action. Silly me.

Hanging upside down as she was, Charlotte hit a point of startling lucidity. It was like realizing you were on a stage, an actress, and remembering your lines. Like waking up, almost. There was the slightest tickle of worry that being a normal, functioning human being involved acting and lines, but there were more immediate things to worry about, like her panties showing, or her dress being caught and stretched over a violent beast, or maybe the threat to break pieces of her off for nothing more than to goad another.

It's a pity, too. Hanging like this, at another's mercy and having to play her role, it was almost relaxing. In clenching a bit, moving her hand to the elastic edge of her waist band, Charlotte considers her options. Fighting free wont work. Talking is going poorly, and if he were part of the freehold, he would have invoked some sort of ban by now. Gathering her glamour and shaping it in her mind, Charlotte gets ready to draw a gun, despite the little voice whispering that guns were serious business and didn't work like they did in cartoons and on stage. One last shot at diplomacy...

"Or you could put me down, and not lose to a little girl, non?" Charlotte supplies reasonably when the offer for pledge is made. And it looks like maybe her captor was smart enough listen. He relaxed, just a bit, his posture shifted.

And then Charlotte knew what it was to fly. Carried on a cushion of momentum, weightless. She remembers blinking, and now here in the open air where Angels and Dragons tumble over each other invisibly without limit, where the sounds and echoes of life and music duel, she recalls the heft, the set up, the sound of fabric rustling – shearing? she fears – and then this.

Apologizing, Charlotte gets up and pulls the poor dancer to her or his or it's feet, before realizing where she is.

The Minotaur cast her into the hell pit. Luckily, the current music (thankfully, blessedly, actual music) fit well with the percussion of flesh an the thump of rubber on the dance floor. Unluckily, the bodies within we're no less the black silhouettes of before, granted depth but not true substance in the dark. And there was no way to find Stephanie and Minos, now. The only landmark in the sea of undulation was the less-poorly lit disk jockey table.

Before setting off towards the crow's nest of musical genesis, Charlotte turns once more to make sure her valiant cushion is okay. "No harm done?" she asks over the music.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I totally shouldn't have bought that "work is picking up and I'll be sparse" bit, not when both thanq and I were pushing for some action. Silly me.
    [That I am posting here indicates that I am procrastinating my paper. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is writing papers.]

Apologizing, Charlotte gets up and pulls the poor dancer to her or his or it's feet, before realizing where she is.

Before setting off towards the crow's nest of musical genesis, Charlotte turns once more to make sure her valiant cushion is okay. "No harm done?" she asks over the music.
    The dancer does not respond. Not when she is on the ground, not when Charlotte picks her up, and not when Charlotte speaks to her. The woman's eyes are glazed and unblinking, and as soon as Charlotte lets her go, she goes back into her dancing with a wild abandon that reeks of desperation.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-07 at 11:24 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

[No response from Charlotte to the woman she just picked up? Also, I really like how subjective the rules on fire are. It's just "The Storyteller gets to rule on when it goes out."]

Gorilla Grodd lets out a loud, high pitched shriek, like the sound of fingernails on a chalk board as he's consumed in flame. His fur, so soaked in alcohol, itself begins to catch, and he drops and rolls on the ground as he turns from a giant beastman into an indistinguishable fireball.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #809
    Banned

[Priority Derp. Lost the notice before it registered. Vaguely recalled an OOC response but not IC]

It's somewhat comforting, really. lost souls in a perditious pit, being alternated between music and torturous shrieking. This was some backdrop for a play on hell and damnation. At any point some hero would come in, thwart the demons, overthrow Azathoth or whoever was styled as the master of hell in this story, and... Curtain. Fin.

Except... Charlotte knows that's not how real life works. And unless just another series of rooms in the manor (Charlotte shudders and her skin runs cold at that, blanching silvery snow white) then this is indeed Real Life, and people don't act like set pieces they act like people. So something was wrong.

But the story calls for a hero to slay the dark master and overthrow them before Unchaining the masses. Where we're they going to get a hero?

A slow, cheshire smile behind tightening cord. Teeth gleam and eyes Twinkle, silken binds taut. Stephanie is a hero, non?

That settles things for her. Second act, the hero stumbles into a den of evil, beset by gaolers. For drama, a friend, a shrinking, willowy type ("... Hey." Charlotte frowns slightly) gets in the way, sets up the tragedy for the hero. Done. But that's not all. Charlotte is rarely if ever an actress in these staged tales. She's a stagehand. Which means if the story is to unfold smoothly, she needs all the proper props in place, needs everything ready for her Protagonist friend. And look! Already she dances with fire in the crowd. Things are coming to a crescendo all too fast.

Hastening toward the DJ table, avoiding notice as much she can, Charlotte dances her way through the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show
    If needed, Wits + Stealth to blend with crowd is 6, 7 if "don't mind me" specialty kicks in. Possible 2 dice bonus for darkness and concealment, or maybe just 2 less from his opposed roll?

Assuming Charlotte's two actions for the first part of combat were "get up" and "move toward DJ table". Gorilla Grodd is starting round 3, do I'm not too far behind the queue.

30. - Top - End - #810

[No response from Charlotte to the woman she just picked up? Also, I really like how subjective the rules on fire are. It's just "The Storyteller gets to rule on when it goes out."]

Gorilla Grodd lets out a loud, high pitched shriek, like the sound of fingernails on a chalk board as he's consumed in flame. His fur, so soaked in alcohol, itself begins to catch, and he drops and rolls on the ground as he turns from a giant beastman into an indistinguishable fireball.
    Stephanie closes her eyes.

One thousand.

One second for taking a swing at her, a blow that would have broken bones if it's owner wasn't so clumsy.

Two thousand.

One second for hurting Charlotte, who had moved in out of kindness to help a fallen monster.

Three thousand.

One second for throwing Charlotte into some drugged bystander, risking cracking their skulls on the hard stone floor.

Eyes open.

Three seconds in the fire was enough.

Stephanie raised the fire extinguisher and blasted the monster again with a spray of chemicals, moving quickly around him to cover all the fire but keeping well out of arm's reach.

[After one round of damage, I'm putting him out. Hopefully he'll take the hint.]