New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Banned

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

"Wait. Madame."
    Charlotte stops, one toe still in the doorway, poised to move but not yet sent along. Like in chess. The move only counts once you let go, after all.

"I remember. The castle was carved from a mountain in a black wood. We could try to find the location from here, perhaps?"

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Stephanie bit her lip to stifle a 'd'awwww', then started for the station again. She had a plan - a little tricky, but it could pay off big.
    There is no trouble getting to the police station. You see the guard come back, carrying several old-fashioned mousetraps, after you're already out of the compound, him none the wiser for the moment.

It being a little earlier in the evening than Stephanie's last visit, the police station near the docks has several officers in it, including a team of three that just got back, looking to be hauling in a couple of new arrestees. From the looks of them, they got in a fight with each other, and while one has a broken nose, the other appears to have a broken face, so they didn't make out equally there.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    There is no trouble getting to the police station. You see the guard come back, carrying several old-fashioned mousetraps, after you're already out of the compound, him none the wiser for the moment.

It being a little earlier in the evening than Stephanie's last visit, the police station near the docks has several officers in it, including a team of three that just got back, looking to be hauling in a couple of new arrestees. From the looks of them, they got in a fight with each other, and while one has a broken nose, the other appears to have a broken face, so they didn't make out equally there.
    "Hi there," said Stephanie, leaning over the counter. "I'm looking for Officer Bryan Kemp? Could you call him and tell him that Stephanie needs to see him, and it's urgent."

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

"Hi there," said Stephanie, leaning over the counter. "I'm looking for Officer Bryan Kemp? Could you call him and tell him that Stephanie needs to see him, and it's urgent."
    "Uh, I can check" says the guy behind the counter. "I don't have the full personnel files on this computer. Do you know his badge number, it would speed things up. Otherwise, I'll have to go look it up in the back."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

5. - Top - End - #1325

"Uh, I can check" says the guy behind the counter. "I don't have the full personnel files on this computer. Do you know his badge number, it would speed things up. Otherwise, I'll have to go look it up in the back."
    "I do not. I'll wait," said Stephanie.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

"I do not. I'll wait," said Stephanie.
    The guy bustles into the back of the station, somehow looking busy and officious as he does so.

About 10 minutes later, he still isn't back, the three-man team of street officers has left, and the more conscious of the two guys in the temporary holding cells is leering at Rose and Stephanie in a decidedly uncomfortable way.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

7. - Top - End - #1327

"So, what are you in for?" said Stephanie, reflexively striking up a conversation.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

Suddenly, Rose finds the ribbon in her hair to be an annoyance. Now knowing what it does, she's suddenly unsure of quite what others' perceptions of her are. Ordinarily, that would mean less than nothing. But when there's a convict making faces at you and you're suddenly unsure if your standard intimidation tactics would work or just make things worse... well, damn it. She settles for standing very straight, instead. Until Stephanie talks to him.

"...What on earth are you doing?"

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

"So, what are you in for?" said Stephanie, reflexively striking up a conversation.
    "Turns out that self-defense is a crime these days, hon."

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    He starts to say more, but instead waits on the response to this comment, quite interested himself.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

10. - Top - End - #1330

Suddenly, Rose finds the ribbon in her hair to be an annoyance. Now knowing what it does, she's suddenly unsure of quite what others' perceptions of her are. Ordinarily, that would mean less than nothing. But when there's a convict making faces at you and you're suddenly unsure if your standard intimidation tactics would work or just make things worse... well, damn it. She settles for standing very straight, instead. Until Stephanie talks to him.

"I'm just talking. People know things. Weird things," said Stephanie. "Or they know important people. They run with a gang, or they've got a story to tell, or they've got something that sets them apart. Everyone has something that makes them more than just a regular drunk,"

Stephanie looked at the guy. "Right?"

[Can this stand for a larger Manipulation+Streetwise investigation for the truck?]

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

[Can this stand for a larger Manipulation+Streetwise investigation for the truck?]
    [streetwise yes. It feels a little bit presence-y to me though, you're not really manipulating him, just asking him directly for information.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

12. - Top - End - #1332

[streetwise yes. It feels a little bit presence-y to me though, you're not really manipulating him, just asking him directly for information.]
    [S'fair. Striking Looks would apply?

10 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 1 (Avg: 5.8)

10 Again: 9

2 successes.]

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

"S'true, baby. I have standards. Not like this bum here." He turns and spits on the other guy, who is sprawled out on the floor and not especially responsive.

"I used to run with one of those white supremacist rags, before I realized they were a bunch of cunts and struck out on my own. Don't run with no gang now, but I do make a little money in ways the police ain't kosher with, if you get my drift."

He looks around, making sure there aren't any police in the vicinity at the moment. "So, what's a couple of fine-lookin things like yourselves doin in here?"
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-01-29 at 11:05 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #1334

"Lookin' up for a bunch of them fellas who don't have your standards," said Stephanie, falling into a slightly reflexive imitation of the accent. Old street habit. "Some of these guys? They're taking kids. Outta their homes. For cash. Can you believe that? I mean, there's looking out for yourself and then there's just plain wrong, am I right?

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

Hedges do funny things. It's not like they have any reason for doing what they do, not at all. Not like it's trying to remind her about certain periods of existence in her life. Not a bit.

Marchande reaches out, trying not to get any angrier - too much anger just burns out - and pushes a branch away. And because this is a place of stories, she presses upon one of the juniper leaves just a bit too hard, with one finger, just the one-

"Ow! Son of a-"

And brings the finger up to her mouth to lick away the blood, one drop remaining on the leaf, because one drop always has to remain on the leaf or drop to the loam. She licks, becoming Taliesin, and tastes wisdom.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

"Lookin' up for a bunch of them fellas who don't have your standards," said Stephanie, falling into a slightly reflexive imitation of the accent. Old street habit. "Some of these guys? They're taking kids. Outta their homes. For cash. Can you believe that? I mean, there's looking out for yourself and then there's just plain wrong, am I right?
    "Damn straight you are, baby! There's a special place in hell for folks that fuck with kids."

He eyes Rose and Stephanie up and down, appraising them.

"Dunno that you oughta be snoopin around though. You look more like to get kidnapped than to be stoppin any kidnappin."

He stops and looks Stephanie over again, looking at her facial expression, at Rose's tense strength despite the cute face.

"...And you're also one of those little shits that don't take no for an answer, amirite? Yeah, well, if you're a fukin idiot, maybe check out that turf war down south. I heard that both sides are gettin cash from the guys you're lookin for."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    And brings the finger up to her mouth to lick away the blood, one drop remaining on the leaf, because one drop always has to remain on the leaf or drop to the loam. She licks, becoming Taliesin, and tastes wisdom.
    [Alright, what are you looking for?]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #1338

"Hey, if the smart folks ain't getting it done, it's down to us idiots to carry out right?" said Stephanie. "And thanks for the tip, I'll give it the see-to. Keep up the good fight, brother,"

Then she leaned back in her chair, gave Rose a subtle grimace, and resumed waiting for Bryan.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

The orderly comes back out a few more minutes later.

"Alright, I called around, but Bryan isn't in. I think he's walking the beat out in the Sunset tonight. There's been a lot more crimes recently around 20th street cuz of all the high school kids staying out late."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey, if the smart folks ain't getting it done, it's down to us idiots to carry out right?" said Stephanie. "And thanks for the tip, I'll give it the see-to. Keep up the good fight, brother,"

Then she leaned back in her chair, gave Rose a subtle grimace, and resumed waiting for Bryan.
    Rose attempts a "that can't possibly have worked" look that, in her current state, comes off as more of a quizzical "I can't believe it!" stare. It'd be less bothersome if she wasn't so aware of it.

She keeps quiet in front of the officer, for the moment.

21. - Top - End - #1341

"Hmm. All right," said Stephanie. "Thanks for trying."

Once the officer had left she looked over at Rose, "My way didn't pan out, you want to try yours?" she murmured, "Looking for the company's public address?"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-01-30 at 12:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

"Given that our other option is stepping into a gang war and attempting a shakedown, yes. We should check for the address of the shipping company. There's also a man. Name... hm. Rodriguez, right. Joey. Could be a fake name, my "informant" wasn't sure. One more thing to check, I guess."

Rose taps her foot on the ground and folds her arms in quiet contemplation for a moment.

"When I used to do this sort of thing, I'd generally find a phone book or a library. I'm assuming there's some new, faster way. Would you happen to know it?"

23. - Top - End - #1343

"Yeah, but we're five bucks and ten years away from being able to swing an internet cafe," said Stephanie. "Let's stick to the phone books for now, there's some right over there,"

Stephanie went over to grab some books, carrying them one at a time and staggering a little under the weight, and putting them down in front of Rose. "Oh, yeah, other thing - you've got that Contract that makes you seem important, right? You could use that to have them see if this guy is in the system, maybe check him against a photograph or something. Even have them run the plates yourself?"

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalina blinks. Unexpected, after all of the crazy things she's seen the world do today. She gently picks up a phonebook, folds it back and forth a bit, then opens it up and starts to thumb through it, first for Royal Crane, then to see how many Joseph Rodriguezes plagued the area.

"I could try," She says without looking up, "But I don't know if that would cover up the fact that I just sat there without saying anything."

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Royal Crane has both a number and an address listed. They're registered as a moving company, and the address for their office is located on Main Street, in the downtown area, just a block from the bay. Kalina and Stephanie take down the number and the address.

Joseph Rodriguez, on the other hand, is going to be a needle in a haystack. Honestly, that's probably why the guy used the name, but there are nearly 30 of them in the phonebook, and possibly more unlisted. On top of that, most only have phone numbers and no addresses.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-01-30 at 03:21 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #1346

Kalina blinks. Unexpected, after all of the crazy things she's seen the world do today. She gently picks up a phonebook, folds it back and forth a bit, then opens it up and starts to thumb through it, first for Royal Crane, then to see how many Joseph Rodriguezes plagued the area.

"I could try," She says without looking up, "But I don't know if that would cover up the fact that I just sat there without saying anything."
    "Easy. You were talking with me, your CI," said Stephanie, "I told you the story about the kidnappers and the warehouse, you're acting on it. Don't be specific or go into detail, just kind of... pretend to be bored and tired."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-01-30 at 03:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

"Back in a minute, then. Rodriguez is a dead end, anyway. Too many; probably a fake name."

Kalina sets the phone book aside and heads back into the station. She places one hand on the counter and rubs her eyes with the other one. This is stupid and she shouldn't be listening to Stephanie. She hated this kind of magic. Sigh. She closes her eyes and lets it wash over her. The worst part was never knowing if it really worked until she said something.

"Ahem. Just caught wind about a vehicle involved in some potentially suspicious activity. Mind running these plates for me?"

[2 glamour activates the Mask of Superiority. The roll is... Intimidate+Wyrd - Resolve? But whose resolve? His? Mine? I'm unclear here.]

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

"Back in a minute, then. Rodriguez is a dead end, anyway. Too many; probably a fake name."

Kalina sets the phone book aside and heads back into the station. She places one hand on the counter and rubs her eyes with the other one. This is stupid and she shouldn't be listening to Stephanie. She hated this kind of magic. Sigh. She closes her eyes and lets it wash over her. The worst part was never knowing if it really worked until she said something.

"Ahem. Just caught wind about a vehicle involved in some potentially suspicious activity. Mind running these plates for me?"

[2 glamour activates the Mask of Superiority. The roll is... Intimidate+Wyrd - Resolve? But whose resolve? His? Mine? I'm unclear here.]
    [His, and it's a 1, so your roll is intimidate+Wyrd-1.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

[Intimidate+Wyrd-1: 9, 6, 3, 10. Reroll is a 7. 2 Successes and a contentless post. Blargh.]

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

[Intimidate+Wyrd-1: 9, 6, 3, 10. Reroll is a 7. 2 Successes and a contentless post. Blargh.]
    [They happen]

The officer at the desk doesn't really even look at Kalina. He just takes the number that she offers, punches up the computer, types some things in, prints out a paper and hands it to her. It's actually impressive he can be that precise with something without ever making eye contact.

The paper details this particular truck: purchased in Oregon, registered to Royal Crane Transport Co. Crossed state lines into California 2 years ago. Cross out of state lines for a long haul trip 3 months after that, then back in again 2 months later. Remained the Bay Area ever since. Registered address matches the address you found in the yellow pages. Driver: Joseph Rodriguez.

Well, that's about as good a match as you could have hoped for.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes