New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

When Rose kneels, Marchande can't contain herself. She hisses, "Oh, will you get up?" Just loud enough for the dragon lady to hear, of course. And she does not sit, but stands by Charlotte, listening with an air of detachment.

Fact: she had been replaced by something, if the dragon lady was right, and Stephanie's case was common. Perhaps by the slave-taker. That needed to be addressed.
    Fact: there were more like her. Many more, if she were to be believed. All over the world. How long had the world been like this? How many people, every day, had she passed by, unable to see their changes?
    Fact: she knows this game. There's a world of difference between the four of them, all banded together, and this. She was not going to dance to the dragon's tune- because that's what it would be.
    Fact: the dragon was more powerful. The dragon had money and servants and they could be used. And even though Marchande didn't want to work with her, everyone else needed that - money, a strong friend, and purpose. Especially Rose.

So she'd play along.

Marchande sits as Stephanie and the dragon argue over Stephanie's... unusual stay in Faerie. And, in a lull, she says, sitting straight-backed and proper, "I will not harm yours if you do not harm mine. Harm, of course, including entrapment or betrayal. And, if you don't mind me asking- not to be rude, Stephanie, but- a Court has a ruler. You are Lady Spring. Are the other seasons in attendance, or is it merely a... title?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Charlotte fidgets. Listening to this all is uncomfortable, like having your childhood movies played, and then the screen is smeared with vaseline - everything is greasy and distorted and wrong. It is not something she wants to think about.

And so a subject change is in order.

Moving closer, placing her hand on Stephanie's shoulder as if to cut in to the dance. "This promise. If we refuse?" her voice tinged plainly with frank curiosity. It is uncertain if she even understands the promise at all.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

The Lady shows no sign of noticing that she heard what Marchande said when Kalina wad kneeling. But when Marchande is the first to actually sit, her smile broadens, and when Marchande swears the oath, her smile broadens further and she gives Marchande her full attention.

"No, far more than a title. I rule the court. Alone. But only for this season of spring. In another month, we shall hold the Mistflame Ball and I shall formally present the crown to the King of summer. He holds the Shadow Hunt during August and jointly plans the Indian Market with the King of Fall, who assumes power during the market's 3-day street festival in September. Fall holds its own version of this nation's Thanksgiving Feast in November, and jointly plans the Holiday Formal near Christmas, during which the crown is handed to the Queen of Winter. There is the hour of Doldrums in the end of January, and then Winter and I jointly plan the Cherry Blossom Ball for March, wherein I receive my power.

Though you may not desire such formality at this moment, it is a necessary tool for our lives here. You come to me wearing a suit, so I think, perhaps, you can understand the desire to be formal, to hold the symbols of power, after leaving the places we have left."

*During this answer, Roderigo arrives back to the room, bearing several bundles. He first comes to Stephanie, where he hands her a pair of what look to be fitted blue jeans, a turqoise long-sleeved t-shirt, and a San Francisco giants hoodie made of thick cotton. He also begins taking out bundles for the others.*
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

As Roderigo is handing out the clothes to Stephanie, the Lady hears Charlotte's question and says. "If you refuse, I shall ask you to leave. You may return when you feel more amenable to making such a promise. It shall also be made known to the court that you refused to make a simple promise of safety, and neither I nor anyone else shall bear responsibility for any consequences that might arise out of such a reputation."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

Charlotte blinks. Something is important here. Something...
    Qian responds, but it's somehow discongruous, like Charlotte is back again where dreams make more sense than reality. Was that malice? Matter-of-fact? Coercive, hopeful, forlorn? How does one read a dragon?

This. This oath. It hits like water washing over her, only reverse; the notion an then the acclimation. Any 'she' who breaks the oath suffers. It a leash. But Marchande accepts. These promises are important. Just... Stated, open. Explici, like the leather is worn and tattered, and there is no trust in it.

Marchande accepts the bonds. Stephanie goes along. Kalina, who kneels.

It all hinges on the small details. Charlotte and Qian Long are connected here, now, in this moment. But how, exactly? And who is holding the reins? Her? Or Charlotte herself? How does one read a dragon? Charlotte knows not dragons, not for sure, but a queen? A queen is absence defined in shape by the ties aroun her.

Spoiler
    Show
    attempt to feel the tenor of the conversation. Charlotte's response hinges on how much 'swear or you're screwed' is intended, since as far as she knows the path binds her while Roderigo could gleefully hatchet the lot of them (being neither a She nor involved in the oath)

Empathy+manipulation+willpower, and the scene falls under perfect protocol as Changeling court and a business meeting, so I'll use a remaining point of glamour for the additional +2 on manipulation and presence for the rest of the scene.

This is hopefully a lot of firepower used unnecessarily for a rather small problem

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    When Stephanie says "it doesn't mean everyone's was," Qian Long simply gives a look around to each of the other three members of the Motley, long enough that Stephanie might follow her gaze to each of them in turn.
    Stephanie considered this a low blow, and hurtful, and not indicative of anything. Maybe everyone who went on a good adventure stayed there? Maybe it was just the ones who had awful things happen to them who came back?

She clenched her fists and looked away. The certainty she'd briefly had was gone, and her headache was coming back. She was sick of all this.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman is not only a dragon and you're unused to reading changelings (this penalty is going away soon, as Charlotte is getting a lot of experience at this), but she is especially skilled and cool in social situations. Now that you think about it, nearly every expression she made has been controlled and purposeful. Charlotte is also about be notably distracted. -5 on the roll. However, since you blew the bank on this one, you still end up with 7 dice. Go ahead and roll that.

As Charlotte is studying Qian Long, Roderigo finishes handing Stephanie her clothing and moves to Charlotte. For Charlotte, there is quite a pile. Roderigo first hands her a white cotton undershirt, some black lace stockings that go up just below the knee, and a pair of white underwear edged with a bit of lace as well. Below that is a white, long-sleeved blouse. The blouse has significant embroidery on the front, with raised stitching forming an image of a flower growing up from the bottom of the shirt and blooming just below the shoulders. It's the same color as the blouse, so the stiching is a subtle, rather than blaring pattern. Accompanying the blouse is a navy-blue skirt that goes down just below the ankles. The skirt has a slight flair outwards and is designed to have several ruffles and frills when worn, but no other decoration. There is a pair of tall leather riding boots, black, with a short heel and long laces that work their way up the front. And finally, a deep brown overcoat, like something you might see Catherine Hepburn wearing back in the 1950s, full length, with a small bit of mother-of-pearl inlaid on the buttons that just barely shows a hint of a rainbow when it catches the light just perfectly.

After unloading all of that, Roderigo moves to Marchande and hands her two small velvet boxes. In one, there is a pair of silver cufflinks, shaped like twin daffodils. In the other, a platinum necklace arranged in a pattern of two entwining bands of metal, somewhat like growing ivy.

Finally, Roderigo moves to Kalina and hands her a single full dress, made of wool, dyed in a deep forest green that is nearly black. The back has been cut and sewn with proper wing slits, the top is long-sleeved and goes over the shoulders, and the bottom falls comfortably below the knees so as not to hinder movement.

While all this is being handed out, Qian Long stares expectantly at Charlotte and glances at Kalina as well, waiting for a formal affirmation of their oaths.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte
    Spoiler
    Show
    Qian Long is being sincere in what she's saying. There isn't any kind of hidden manipulation or secret agenda carried in her tone that you can detect. There is a sense of power behind her words, however. You get the sense that she did not believe she was exaggerating when she said San Francisco was the greatest Court in the world. And all of her mannerisms indicate a woman who is used to getting what she wants. Her emotional state appears calm. She is not angry, excited, or agitated in any detectable way.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

A simple oath. Well, simple as any oath. Binding.

Qian was queen, but she wasn't Queen, as little sense as that distinction woul make to another. She filled a position; the position was important and AI she was important. But she knew the position is where the importance came from, and allowed herself to be wielded. That was comforting, at least, to know that if this was just another story that the dragon lady was as much actor as they, as caught up in the tale as they.

And these... Such nice gifts, able to capture even Charlotte's fractious attention. Different depths and textures, and more importantly they were clothes. Even if she couldn't remember why they were so important anymore, she has them now at last. And all that sat on the table was whether to accept such hospitality graciously. Even being set up for disaster had its rules, after all, and no one liked the person who ruined a good tale.

Charlotte's fingers drift around the bundle, taking meticulous notes even as her mind was elsewhere. To her side, Kalina. Kalina had knelt. Does the acceptance of the oath have to be verbal, she wonders? Was Charlotte the last to respond, holding up the play?

Panic. Inflating in her chest like a balloon, dark and choking was panic. She had friends now and that was important to her, but maybe it wasn't important to them, maybe it was only as important as what she brought to the table? Charlotte would have to keep up, if only for her... Crew. Clique. Group?

Her head shakes, barely. "I know not who is of your court, but they are as safe from me as I from them, Madame; I accept."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

*Kalina gives a small nod from her bow and, at Qian Long's gesture, rises and takes a seat where directed.*

Qian Long then turns to address the remainder of the group. "I am so pleased you all wish to stay. Not every Changeling is so well-balanced upon their return from the hedge. I hope that you all enjoy your gifts. They are yours to keep no matter the results of this meeting. A gesture from the Court of Spring that this world should be filled with beauty.

Now that we may speak freely, I wish you to understand why you are here, and why I was somewhat insistent on an oath of safety. You may remember, from your time in Faerie, that one cannot always trust one's senses, and the madness of the realm often infects others. Yet oaths, promises, customs, and traditions are things that bind of all, even our Fae overlords, should they come seeking our return. Thus, the Court of San Francisco will demand your oath of fealty, that all may be safe. We act fairly, giving to each responsibility proportionate to her rank and talents, and we keep one another safe through a system of marked havens and respect for words of peace and brotherhood. Hierarchy can be strict at times, as it needs must be for those who have lost their clarity of perspective and have naught else to cling to. But you have come across to me as women of merit, and there will be great opportunities for you, if you join.

Now, I again give you the chance to ask questions of me. For the next hour, whatever you wish to know about myself, my compatriots, or the Court as a whole, I shall do my best to answer honestly to the extent of my knowledge. I assure you, there is no question that would cause me offense, though I may not be able to answer every question you ask."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #221

"Uh, why should I swear a magically binding oath forcing me to do whatever you want me to do?" was Stephanie's first question. It wasn't the first question she'd normally ask - heck, normally she'd just go along with this and see where it lead - but she was feeling bitter and slighted.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Qian Long looks taken aback. "Why, it's not an oath that forces you to do anything I want. Or that anyone else wants but you. It's an oath of fealty." *Looks at Stephanie and decides to use smaller words* "Fealty is like loyalty. It means you want to help the person you swore the oath to. And that you know they'll help you when you need it. It's like a good friend asking you for a favor because they know you're good at something, and later on when you need a favor, they'll be glad to help you too.

You should swear to our Court because it's very large, and can help you in many ways. Not just clothes, either. We have several well-connected members. We can provide a fake id, if you need one, and food and shelter in most places in the city. We have all sorts of interesting information and fun jobs that I think you would enjoy, and we have beautiful balls, masks, and goblin markets during every season."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #223

[Int 1 characters!]

"Hangon, what? So I swear an oath to do someone else a favour? Or is it like an alliance? And you said there's a hierarchy, do I have to be loyal to those guys as well?" Stephanie said, trying to muddle this out. "I'm not swearing some blanket thing to everyone who might be a member of your extended family. Who does what in exchange for what?"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

"She means, you must promise to be her friend before she will let you in her house, miss." Charlotte says, still somewhat distracted by the bundle in her arms. "May I have somewhere to change, Madame?"

15. - Top - End - #225

"Promising to be her friend is different from swearing eternal allegiance to some enormous shadowy pyramid scheme," Stephanie said.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

Charlotte shakes her head slowly, frowning. "No, miss. It's... Like getting marred. You join the family, and the oath make them take care of you as well." She looks to Qian, curious. "Everyone in court takes this oath?"
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-07-17 at 12:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Stephanie blushed bright red. "I'm not getting married! We haven't even had dinner and a movie yet!"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-17 at 12:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Banned

Charlotte, for her part, endeavors to hide a fit of giggling.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Qian Long politely puts her hand to her mouth to stifle a slight giggle as well. After regaining her composure (and Charlotte is not quite certain she ever lost it), she says "Yes, everyone takes the oath. We rotate kings and queens for the seasons, so even I have sworn my allegiance to the others. Nor is it permanent. Although each king or queen serves for life or until the freehold asks for the monarch's abdication (that means to stop being king or queen), every other member of the freehold reswears the oath at the change of seasons, which means each oath lasts only about 3 months. However, almost noone has abandoned the freehold after experiencing its benefits. There have only been two in the last decade, and they were...odd...cases.

As for your question about who has to obey whom. There is some complexity to that and even the king or queen is not absolute. It would depend what job you were doing. Imagine if your friend asks for a favor and asks you to do it a certain way. Surely, you wouldn't ignore your friend's request and do it a totally different way? But you wouldn't say that your friend can give you orders, just because she asked for a favor in a certain way."

*After answering the question, she gestures to Roderigo again.*
    "Kindly show Ms. Charlotte to a changing room, would you Roderigo. The rest of you, please have a bite to eat or feel free to change yourselves while we wait."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-17 at 01:09 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #230

"Yeah, okay I kind of get that stuff," Stephanie said, "but with this thing I've got to say that all the people in your creepy organisation are my friends and I've got to do all kinds of stuff just because they ask for it and I don't want to spend the rest of my life guarding doors like the guy downstairs or doing whatever Riggy does. Even if I don't have to do it in a certain way because you asked nicely or whatever."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

"If you don't want to guard doors, you won't have to guard doors. And Roderigo does many jobs, he's only waiting on me for today as a sort of break, if you will." *Roderigo gives a slight nod.* "Why don't you tell me what you like to do, and I'll tell you if we have work that might suit you?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

22. - Top - End - #232

"Uh, running, jumping, climbing, infiltrating, spying, stealing, escaping, sabotaging, sneaking," Stephanie ticked them all off on her fingers and realised she had one finger left. She thought for a moment, then said, "Not having to be outside during the day."

Seemed like a good list.

"So what you're actually saying is that I don't have to do anything I don't want to, even if some guy in your pyramid scheme who's higher ranked than me tells me to? Or that I only have to do stuff related to my job? Why can't we work this out as a job rather than a weird broad fealty thing? Because for all I know one of your people is a complete jerkbag and I'll have to do everything he says or be magically punished and there's a difference between swearing to you and swearing to that guy."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

"No, I can't guarantee you'll never have to do something you don't like. Someone else might be doing something very important and need everyone to help, even if you don't like it. Is that really so terrible? We're offering you food, shelter, and almost any help you ask for, in exchange for mostly doing work you enjoy and sometimes having to do something unpleasant. And if you are working with a, jerk, as you say, then you could come to me, or to any of the kings and queens, as well as various members of the nobility and tell them that you don't want to work with a particular person.

However, I believe you were met by a certain person that looked like a wire man earlier today, correct?" *Looks at Swifthoof, who has taken up position just outside the room, and who nods in response.* "Yes, if your talent is speed and infiltration, I'm quite sure that he'll have enough work to prevent you from having to take on any other responsibilities, if that's what you want. If you join, I'll let him make his own introduction, I'm sure he would prefer that. Winters can be so stoic sometimes." *blows just a bit of sparks and smoke.*

*She takes one of the steamed buns on the table and begins chewing it, quite daintily given her rows of sharp teeth.*

[Gonna wait a bit here for SuiS and Raz, and Phoe if she is so inclined. I want to give everyone a chance to change, ask a couple of their own questions, and all be back in the room.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #234

"Yeah, this is kind of a problem because you might need me to kill people or poison the water supply or marry someone -" the thought was still in her mind "- and I can't just agree to any or all of that and just kind of hope you're going to order me to do the right thing."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

[One more quickie answer. So bored right now.]

"Make that clear and you won't be asked to do it. If you try to look brave and fool others into asking for things you won't do, that is your own mistake."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Flowers. Really? And not even a type she could readily recognize. Still, everyone knew that cufflinks completed a suit, so she affixed them to her suit as Stephanie and their host argued. Good to see that Stephanie wasn't blindly trotting ahead.

The necklace, on the other hand, was far nicer. And almost too pricey to accept. But given in good faith, how could she not take it? If - as she half-guessed - they intended to manipulate them into service by pointing to those gifts as favors owed, Marchande at least knew she had the poise to simply return them and walk away.

"I have two questions," she interjects as smoothly as she can in between Stephanie's argument. "First, and most importantly, have you noticed any disappearances from the University? I was... abducted... there by something posing as a teacher, and I don't know if it's still there. Secondly. Changelings? I thought those were the things left in our place. Even I know those stories - the fairies take a baby away, leave a changeling in their place. We are... something else."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

27. - Top - End - #237

"Even if McClaw's evil organisation of crime never orders me personally to shoot a cop, McClaw's evil organisation of crime shoots cops as a matter of course and therefore I will never work for McClaw's evil organisation of crime!" Stephanie said, managing to say the entire thing without stumbling over her words once. "I am not making an open ended promise to a mystery pyramid scheme that I know nothing about! I am not making promises to people I don't know and have never met! It's not happening!"

She'd kind of raged a little past Marchande there but she was still upset that she was being asked to do this.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-17 at 08:03 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Qian Long switches smoothly back and forth between the questions.

"No, we have not noticed anything odd at the university. It's probable that your keeper posed as a teacher and later replaced the teacher with a fetch when the keeper grew bored. I will send someone to investigate."

She takes out an iPhone and begins typing into it. Without looking up, she addresses Stephanie. "My dear, we are not a criminal organization. We have some people that acquire information so that we can keep ourselves safe. You could help with that. But this," she gestures around the room, "this was rented through honest hard work by several of our members. I really don't know what you think you're dealing with here, but all I'm trying to offer you is a home and some work that you'll enjoy. All we ask in exchange is your promise to be loyal."

Then back to Marchande "Ah, you know I don't know when we first started using the terms. We call the things that replaced you a Fetch, the monsters that kidnapped us are Keepers or True Fae, and we refer to ourselves as the changelings, as we are the ones who were changed. I wonder if there was a mistranslation at some point, perhaps from German to English, that would have led to the stories getting it backwards."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-17 at 10:24 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Charlotte wrinkles her nose at Stephanie's insistence on work. She could prove that wrong right now.

"You do not come here and then want to go home the whole time, do you Roderigo?"

She proceeds dutifully to the changing nook, whatever his answer may be.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte and Marchande notice an almost imperceptible nod from Qian Long before Roderigo answers.

"I consider it a privilege to wait on the Queen of Spring herself" he says with very crisp, unaccented English. "As for the remainder of my days," you see the inky blackness roil a bit out of the shape of a man then back in, "I am very rarely bored."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes