New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Oriental Kingmaker (IC)

OOC: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261713

Ah, Leazus. A grand country, and united by one of the greatest bushi who ever existed, the royal Leila. Plated in gold gloryborn armour, and wielding her powerful Katana. She truly was one to focus on her goals and work on helping the country.

The other major power? A 10 year old girl, Himiko. Empress of the country, despite not having an official power, her influence and grace makes the country bend to her will (having over 10 levels in Courtier doesn't hurt). So when she ordered the expansion to the new world, many jumped on board.

The lords couldn't leave, and many of them were too focused on keeping the country in check. The end of the war meant many of their power bases were weakening. Add in the fact that many of the lords are not made for engineering or sailing, but combat means many would be useless.

So it's up to you.

Picked by Leila, your group of low-level adventurers was sent into the wild sunset to attempt to find new land, and ship back resources that could be used to rebuild Leazus.

"I see Land!" A woman sailor yells from the mast. Taking out his spy glass, the captain scans the land.

"It looks decent...lots of trees...and we're near a mountain, that would be easy to quarry and would make it hard to invade. What do you think?" he turns to the leaders who are on deck looking over the ship's logs and resources. You don't have a ton of food left. You could look for another land, but you would risk starvation, and you don't have enough left to go back to Leazus and survive.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-11-17 at 02:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Oriental Kingmaker (IC)

Ikiruhe Dajan

Dajan looks up from where he had been sitting curled up in the prow of the vessel going over supply reports, his emerald eyes narrowing as he takes in the distant shoreline. Due to the majority of his belongings being stored down below, he is dressed simply in his dark blue Kimono bearing his family crest on the shoulders, with his Daishō tucked through the obi which he shifts with one hand as he stands and moves towards the ships master and his companions.

"I believe our supply situation will force our hand in this instance. Even if we decide not to use this area to found our new community, we need to go ashore to re-provision the fleet and learn something of this area. We could take some of our experts and see what they think. I say we land."
    Last edited by Ruik; 2012-11-17 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Description
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

- I still worship you TSO

Spoiler
    Show

*wanders out whistling All Along the Watchtower cover*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

The Captain nods, and gives the order to land. You make a soft successful landing and dismount.

If anyone has survival, perception, nature, or geography skills, feel free to use them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Dajan

Once the decision to land is made, Dajan moves below and exchanges his silk robe for an undershirt and dons his armour, a simple set of breastplate, bracers, greaves, and helm all lacquered in dark greens and black. Checking his quiver and bow, he finishes with his swords restored around his waist. After a brief moment considering his pack, he leaves it where it is and moves back on deck waiting to go ashore.

Once on dry land again, he moves slightly away from the bustle of the landing party, bow in hand, and squats down near a small bush, taking in his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival (add another +2 for favoured terrain if he is looking at a forest): (1d20+7)[22]

Perception (add another +2 for Forrest and/or +2 if there are humans out their for fav. enemy): (1d20+7)[10]

Knowledge nature: (1d20+5)[25]
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

The forest terrain is similar to that at home. This wood is useable for construction.

The bush is a plant you don't recognize, but from what you can tell from the scent it's got alchemical properties. It smells sweetly.

The trees in the area are all of similar types, implying either one type of tree which took over the area overtime by taking all the resources, or someone planted these on purpose. From what you can tell, the trees aren't planted in any order and seem to be growing naturally.

The ocean water is not safe to drink. However the trees here don't grow on salt water implying fresh water is available.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Su-Lin

The young riverfolk loved being on the water and almost frowned when the captain cried that they were going to make land fall. She stepped to the prow of the ship and pulled the strands of her long black hair from her face as the salty wind tossed it to and fro.

Once on land she looked at the forrest and the rest of her surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+8)[12] nature
    (1d20+7)[15] geography

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

~Shugyosha~

The only thing you note above what Ruik noticed was that this climate is fairly warm. It's likely if you do get winter here it will be either very harsh, or so mild it'll seem like a long fall. However judging from the plants it's early spring, so you have a good 6-8 months of time to prepare.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-11-17 at 12:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kazimasu Kenjiro

Kenjiro was more excited than his expression would demonstrate, but his tail is undeniably wagging.
    As soon as he steps on the land, he firmly plants his sandals and his staff in the ground, glad to be off the ship. Sailing is fine, but not for such a long time.

Kenjiro breathes out deeply, getting his concentration back together, and says:
    "We should locate a source of fresh water. A river is to be preferred. "
    He takes another deep breath, and observes the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+8)[22]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Your knowledge tells you to head towards the mountain, as water likely would flow off it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Su-Lin

"Yes, water would be good," she says looking at the mountains. "But first shelter. For the time being I can make us enough water."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shugyosha View Post
    Su-Lin

"Yes, water would be good," she says looking at the mountains. "But first shelter. For the time being I can make us enough water."
    "We await your orders!" The buildmaster says with a bow. "Just tell us what to build and where to build it. There's enough room on this beach for a good port town."

(Either debate here in character, what to build, or go to OOC)

The rest of the forces start to unload the ships and do minor repairs to the ships.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Saito Atsuo had his own reservations about leaving the ship, though such petty, selfish fears were easily swallowed. Before they'd set sail, he'd worried about the voyage, for he'd heard often that sailors were a superstitious lot, and a man whose features bore the unmistakable taint of an evil spirit's touch would hardly be taken for a good omen, he imagined. If the sailors had been apprehensive about his presence, none had shown it, and he'd been more welcome amongst the sailors than he found himself to be in most company. After all, many of them were outcasts and misfits, much like him, just cast out in different directions and for different reasons than he'd been.

The sight of the land comforted him, though; in the new world as the old, the mountains judged no man for his face. In the longer life afforded to children tainted by oni, he had seen enough battle to hope, if only for the others' sake, that the mountain never had to serve as a bulwark against invasion. After the bloody years in which he spent most of his youth had finally come to an end Leazus, it would be a shame to see the same tragedies and horrors repeated an ocean away. Again, though, such fears were to be swallowed. To allow fear to make one forsake one's duty was to open the floodgates for all temptation. Armed and armored, as it was his habit to be, Atsuo shouldered his pack and made his way ashore.

After a suitable pause opened in the conversation to be certain he was not interrupting, Atsuo interjected "I, too, can provide us with water." Giving a quick bow of his head to Su-Lin and the build master, he asked, "For how long will our provisions sustain us before we must find another source of food?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Struggling a bit under the weight of her own possessions bundled in a large pack, Mingmei waddles off the ship amidst the hustle and bustle of the sailors-become-laborers. Her load was certainly lighter than theirs, but so was she, and her arms were certainly skinnier. Plopping down the bag on a patch of grass, she surveyed her new home. "This should do quite nicely. I believe shelter on solid ground for everyone should be the first order of business." She nods along to the other mystically-gifted members of the expedition mentioning the water would not be an issue for now - indeed, it seemed to be among the earliest lessons of mystics to purify, or even conjure, fresh water. "Who knows how to search for edible plants? And I hope one of you knows how to hunt with the many bows brought along?"
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

~Zrak~

The buildmaster turns to you. "Long enough. We can always fish for extra food. That's why I say we turn the pier grassland into a city, build a house for the people, build the pier, and then after that is done, start expanding into surrounding lands to make farms."

Spoiler
    Show
    You have claimed your first (and only) hex for this month, and made your first (and only) city for this month, you cannot build farmland due to having no free hexes, likewise with roads, you can place 1 house and 1 other building during this month, remember that the first house does not count towards buildings built during the build phrase.

The buildmaster recommends the house and pier, but will go with your orders.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-11-18 at 04:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Dajan

Dajan breaths deep of the crisp forest air before standing and moving back to join the slowly assembling group. He listens intently as the plans are discussed before turning to the master builder.

"It seems that we are in agreement then. Shelter for our people, and then begin establishing the pier."

He turns back Su-Lin and addresses her, turning so that he includes the rest of the group in the discussion.

"I have some skill at hunting. With some assistance, I should be able to find food for us, especially if we can supplement it with fishing. As for fresh water, and indeed an understanding of our new home, I suggest we send out a scouting party. The forest here is much like what I know from Leazus, and I would be happy to accompany it."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Su-Lin

She nods at Dajan and then turns to the build master, "Yes, houses first then a pier."

Back the the Feytouched ranger, "You should lead the scouting party since you have experience in this, I'll come with you. Who else wants to come?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Please go to the OOC thread, and pick the location for the two buildings.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your reasoning is sound," Atsuo nods to the buildmaster, "Fishing, hunting, and foraging ought to provide us enough food to last until we've established a degree of infrastructure. If we find anything unfamiliar, plant or animal, I should be able to discern if it'll be toxic."

Directing his full attention to Su-Lin and the rest of his compatriots, "I spent my youth among mountains. Perhaps I, too, would be of use?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe Hiroki

Abe finishes the bit of calligraphy he was practicing on-board the ship, and holds it up to the sun to see it better.

Rubbish. The shaking and swaying of the boat made it impossible for him to practice properly. Annoyed, Abe crumples up the paper and tosses it overboard before donning his ashigaru and lifting his iron-banded kanabo. He steps onto the shore and looks about, examining the land.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local) (1d20+3)[4]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+3)[19]
    Gather Information (to represent chatting up others on the ship) (1d20+6)[9]

WHY DOES THE FORUM ROLLER HATE ME

"Many apologies for my lateness, friends, but I required practice. It seems my hands are not as steady as I would like with a pen and brush."

He looks up at the mountain and points to the peak.
    "Do we know what spirits call that mountain theirs? Surely they would be mighty allies if pleased."
    Last edited by TechnoScrabble; 2012-11-19 at 04:33 PM.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Su-Lin

"We can ask the spirits if we see any. WIll you join us exploring this place."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe Hiroki

"How many of us are going? Will there be enough left to defend our new home while you are gone, or should this one stay behind and assist the workers?" Abe asks.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kazimasu Kenjiro

"I will stay and oversee the activities. I doubt our new home needs defending, for now at least. If there are hostile creatures in these lands, it is more likely that your scouting party will encounter them. "

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Dajan

Dajan motions to their companions in turn as he speaks "So far we have agreed on Su-Lin-sama, Saito-san and myself to go and explore the local area. I believe that our master builder can coordinate the construction efforts here, under the supervision of Kazimasu-san. Katsuie-san and his warriors are also capable enough to protect the remainder of the group here at the shore-line while we explore."
    Last edited by Ruik; 2012-11-21 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Update correct NPC name
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe Hiroki

"Very well. This one will accompany you on your journey. It would not do for this one's friends to be hurt by marauding beasts and goblins," Abe hefts his kanabo up to his shoulder and tips his ashigaru's conical helmet up a bit, "Do we have what we require for such a trip?"

(Recaiden) He lives!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Su-Lin

"Well that's four of us. Let's go," she says brightly.

"Mingmei, do you want to come or stay here?"
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-11-19 at 09:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I have no strong preference. Do you believe my talents would be of use?"
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Su-Lin

"It's more a question of desire than ability. After being confined to a boat for so long I thought you might want to stretch your legs."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shugyosha View Post
    Su-Lin

"Well that's four of us. Let's go," she says brightly.

"Mingmei, do you want to come or stay here?"
    Make survival and perception checks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival [roll0]
    Perception [roll1]

In case you wanted them from the rest of us as well.

(Recaiden) He lives!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Dajan

Dajan turns to Su-Lin as she suggests an immediate departure. "I have left my belongings on board our vessel. We can leave immediately, however I suggest that we go for no more than a day. Alternatively we have have the crew bring my possessions in the next wave and I will do a quick check of the area to ensure there is nothing dangerous in the immediate vicinity while they bring them ashore."

Spoiler
    Show

Of course we could also just assume that all our stuff is in the process of being unloaded, as it was mentioned that "The rest of the forces start to unload the ships".

Also, in case that request for checks was aimed at everyone:

Survival (add another +2 for favoured terrain if he is looking at a forest): (1d10+7)[8]

Perception (add another +2 for Forrest and/or +2 if there are humans out their for fav. enemy): (1d10+7)[8]
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show