Page 1 of 44 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Strange Fortune (OOC)

Welcome, friends!

This is the "out of character" thread for our game. We talk about the game here, and the game itself will be in another thread that I will create soon.

For those of you who have not used this forum before, please check out this thread regarding dice rolls: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917

Please remember that you shouldn't edit any post you make that contains a die roll, editing will void the roll result.

Also, check out spoiler tags.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's usually cool to use these in the game thread for dice rolls or "OOC" asides so that the flow of the game isn't interrupted with technical stuff.

So, here's some world-building for you.

Map of the region: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B60...041cXBrc1p3RzQ

This map represents your characters' extents of geographical knowledge. In fact, it represents just about the maximum extent of most people living within its bounds. These lands are called The Known Realms (it is generally understood that there is a world beyond, and that other far-off and exotic kingdoms exist somewhere out there... but they're probably busy dealing with monsters and savages all the time). These lands are very isolated, and dealings with true outsiders are rare. That said, these lands are also huge. There is no way that any of your characters have been to most of the areas covered by this map, or know much about them other than the fact that they supposedly exist.

Also, most people in these lands don't understand magic. They think they know what it is, but it's all really just superstition and voodoo. Those who do practice real magic can be found, but for every one of those you will find a handful of fakes who claim they're the real deal.

The kingdoms of the east are primarily the realms of humans. They are:

Caspria – Both the kingdom and its great capital city share this name, famous for its impossibly high towers, aqueducts, ocean-spanning bridge. Caspria is the gateway to the west, and boasts a disciplined army as well as a history of inventive architects. Caspria is home to all descriptions of people, but the greatest populations there are humans and gnomes. Caspria controls the region known as The Ettin, west of the Kingspeak Mountains.

Helmos – The sea-faring people of Helmos are famous for their food and entertainment, as well as their great white tower that watches over the sea. This island-based kingdom has historically had to defend itself several times from Casprian invasions, but for as long as living memory serves the two have co-existed peacefully as trade partners. There are many folk of elven decent in Helmos, especially in South Helmos on the mainland.

Beävella – The land of wine, poetry, romance, and the most famous horse-mounted knights. Beävellais are known for taking matters of history, ceremony, and honour very seriously.

Seybria – A fiercely independent island nation with a reputation for their competitiveness and refusal to ever ask for help. They boast a large army and great fleet of ships, and are considered the best sailors in the Known Realms. Every year they host a great athletic tournament, so that the fittest and most skilled people in all the lands can come and be beaten by their better Seybrian counterparts.

Bruvos – Famous for its statues and riverboats. Bruvos is a kingdom that built its strength on the riches they acquired through trade. Bruvens consider themselves well-educated and well-travelled. Bruven coins are accepted at face value well beyond the borders of their lands.

Ayolo – An exotic kingdom hidden high in the Ayol mountains. It is said that the people of Ayolo can climb like spiders, are impervious to the cold, speak to each other across valleys using great horns as signals, and defend the Known Realms from the monsters and barbarians that live beyond the mountains in the Dunnluns

Other places:

Wettonbend - A great town that is frequented by travellers because of its central location. It is currently ruled by the kingdom of Bruvos, but has been captured several time by Beävella and Seybria in old wars.

Tasperia – Little is known of this place other than a common expression "Only the librarians of Tasperia know!" or "Not even the librarians of Tasperia know". The common myth is that the Great Library of Tasperia is some magic place where all the knowledge in the world is kept in secret. Also home to the Tasperian Falls... just a giant waterfall, really. Probably a wonder of the world.

Hilmerone – The lands of Hilmerone are filled with halflings. These folk generally keep to themselves and don't think much of strangers.

The Great Dragon River – This river is said to be as wide as an ocean and swift as a deer. Little is known about the strange lands beyond its distant southern shore.

Lingwold Forest – A great expanse of wilderness that famously takes a fortnight to pass through. It is said that elves and wild things inhabit this forest, and that travellers have been known to get hopelessly lost in the woods and never emerge again. Supposedly, if one knows where to look, they can find the remains of the Old Kingsroad which will take them safely from Lake Lingwater to the southern tip of the Kingspeak Mountains.

The Upper Sea - Doesn't really go anywhere. It's just closed off by ice in the north (and the Dunnluns to the east). There may be an ice kingdom up there. Or maybe just trolls. Lots of trolls.

The Inner Sea – Goes south until you reach the Kraken's Teeth, which will shred any ship to splinters.

The Kingdoms of the west:

Gombil – A kingdom of gnomes. They build impenetrable castles, towers, and keeps, as well as secret cities hidden from the eyes of outsiders.

Buckland – a kingdom of halflings, whose mounted archers ride upon armoured ponies

Ellgrig Forest – Elves live here, maybe?
    Last edited by jm_jazzman; 2012-05-30 at 04:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Strange Fortune (OOC)

Exciting! Even changed my avatar to a more wizard-y woman more keeping in character! (Also so people can know which character I'm playing at a glance)

Big strapping man using a girly avatar, shows how damn confident I am in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jm_jazzman View Post
    For those of you who have not used this forum before, please check out this thread regarding dice rolls:
    Orrrr even people who have played before and should know it, but don't, because who remembers that sort of thing.

Character:
    Valette the eeevvilllll Necromancer Wizard

Valette is a thin, pale wizard of average height. Her hair is black as a sealed tomb, and many thin silver scars cover her back and shoulders from the lash of a whip. These are not apparent as she keeps them covered at all times, from shame and fear of recognition. She walks with a slight limp on her left leg. Her eyes are a cold, piercing blue, and she rarely smiles. When she does smile, something unpleasant is happening to someone else.

Backstory
    As the only daughter of a prosperous merchant, Valette grew up pampered and fond of expensive pastimes. Her father paid for singing lessons, and she gathered a reputation in her town of Wettonbend for her beautiful voice.
    Always ambitious, Valette grew fascinated by the arcane powers displayed by wizards who occasionally passed through her hometown. After much pleading, her father agreed to pay her tuition for magical training at the magical university Tasperia. She did not excell at her studies as she could have, being too fond of lazing about and gossiping than working late in the library, but her marks were good and she had a promising future.
    At the end of term, when students were finding partners for the Wizards Ball, she spurned the Duke of Wettonbend's son, Nattson Farstaff and laughed in his face. Shamed and angered, Nattson hired some thugs to kidnap Valette the night before the Ball. He tied her up,
    whipped her, and left her to be killed by his men. Valette survived and fled back to her father, but arrived to find he had been killed, his business ruined and nothing left of her childhood home but ashes. Blaming Nattson for his murder, penniless Valette became a mercenary-for-hire, to gather the funds and arcane might needed to kill Nattson and have her vengeance. She has sworn to destroy the entire Farstaff family and everyone who gets in her way.

She is ambitious and vengeful, but I'm going to be making the effort to be a good party member with her character so don't worry about how evil she is!

Unless you're a paladin.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-05-30 at 03:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I managed to dig up my account from the last time we tried to do this (in high school!) so I suppose I will go next:

My character:

Jacinth, Half-Elf Bard

Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Black
    Skin: Medium
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Jacinth's parents are both half-elves. Her father was an all-around sneaky dude, and her mother Nieves was the disgraced heir to a wealthy and powerful merchant house. When Jacinth was five Nieves found out that her half-siblings were dead and she had re-inherited the family business. She left, promising to come back for them, but either she went back on that or Jacinth's father never took her up on it. They then moved to Beavella where he took up a new identity, a bard named Riordan, and started telling stories about a rogue whose exploits were modeled after his own. A combination of his restlessness and need to hide from enemies he'd made meant they moved a lot throughout her childhood, changing identities frequently, as he taught her bardy/espionnage skills and continued to spread stories about his fictional counterpart.
    For the past five years, they've lived in Helmos. Jacinth and Riordan have a good relationship, but since he's a silver-tongued genius and famous as both a bard and a character, Jacinth feels she'll be in his shadow as long as they live and travel together. She also wants to find out what happened to her mother, and what her father really got up to before (and quite probably after) she was born.
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-01 at 02:25 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Could you send me an updated character sheet for Jacinth? Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5

Game thread is up, you can find a link at the bottom of this post in my signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'm a first time player so I hope you guys have a bit of patience for me :). I'm going to do my best to be the party's tank.

Thårin Ondesson (Dwarf fighter)

Hair: Dark red
    Eyes: Dark green
    Skin: Medium, weathered.
    Alignment: Chaotic good

Born underground in a keep in the North Mountains. Learned how to handle weapons and armour from father, and was a member of a group of soldiers who would accompany trade expeditions to Buckland, Gombil, and Caspria. Was able to do some minor trading on the side during these expeditions, and decided to leave the home keep to explore the land and attempt to recover valuables from wherever possible in order to trade.

*Not very dramatic, so there.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for your contribution .
    To the world you may be one person,but to one person you may be the world.

8. - Top - End - #8

Welcome aboard! And there's nothing wrong with a lack of drama! We can't all be half-dragon angels orphaned by a mustached villain who lives in a volcano. For one thing, we'd run out of volcanos pretty quickly, unless it was just one villain who kept very busy.

9. - Top - End - #9

Cool. I'ma let you guys just roleplay for a bit until our last 2 players find themselves here. (Or until they take too long and I have them killed off. Bwahahahaha).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

It looks like we have 4 people in the ooc thread? Is someone playing the dogs and if so, rofl.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm not sure who this Jessica is.
    Someone may possibly be playing a dog.

12. - Top - End - #12

Making a die roll then editing to see if editing a post with a roll will void the result!
    (1d20)[4]

La la la. And yep we can edit stuff in as long as we don't mess with the roll, I think.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-01 at 07:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Oh wow, I guess they fixed that since I was last here.

14. - Top - End - #14

Shakedown: Jacinth wouldn't have met Duke Natt Farstaff, but I'll let you decide how to react to the question... keeping in mind that there are probably several dukes around, and Valette wasn't very specific.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Hey James, for clarification, these are cages not cells yes, so these iron bars don't run into the ground and the wall, right?

16. - Top - End - #16

Oh I know Jacinth wouldn't have met the Duke, but Valette doesn't. She'd think it was pretty unlikely to have TWO unrelated jerks imprison her independently of each other.

17. - Top - End - #17

I should have been more specific, they are more like cells with bars planted into the stone in the floor and ceiling. I'll edit my post in the game.

18. - Top - End - #18

Haha, fair enough. Just making sure any confusion is avoided.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi all, sorry I'm late. Not a first time player, but using the forum will take some getting used to...

An extraordinary dog to say the least. Inquisitive silver eyes are set in a black face with a left white eye patch complimented by pointed, partially folded ears. A cream coloured stripe runs along the underside of his body while a white sock colours his rear right paw. Once a domesticated pet, his acquisition of highly unusual mental traits have made him notorious in his own community and drew particular interest from local Druids, who are rumoured to have taught him their ways. Superstition and religion have caused mixed feelings around sightings of the animal. Most think nothing of the strange behavior, though for a brief time feelings of paranoia were magnified somewhat when a local priest walked in on the dog supposedly reading one of his tomes. Lastly, his neck is adorned with a leather collar with the word "Whiskey" inscribed- a given name, presumably. This strange dog is normally accompanied by a larger dog, a husky with no especially distinguishing features other than its stalwart loyalty to him.

20. - Top - End - #20

It's such a shame your companion dog isn't fat. Then you'd have Whiskey's musky husky husky.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hah.

Gonna try out a roll inside of a spoiler tag

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[2]

22. - Top - End - #22

also trying something
    Craft Dice Roll - (1d20+1)[16]

yusss. So you can write roll=(text you want in bold) instead of just roll, and leave /roll as normal, to make your check appear right there.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-01 at 11:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Copying what Aeti just did..

Catch Tail Roll - (1d20+2)[21]

24. - Top - End - #24

You catch your tail so hard.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeeeeooouch

26. - Top - End - #26

Can anyone remember how to bookmark a page so that it takes me to the most recent post?

27. - Top - End - #27

Also, just a technical note: Bluff checks and opposing sense motive checks against other players are perfectly valid if you guys really want to use them against each other, just make sure that you roll them when needed and I won't even have to get involved in determining if the bluff is believed or suspect. Diplomacy verses other players can work too.

Gather Information isn't really applicable in this situation, though. That's more for canvassing a crowd or population for tidbits of information. I suppose it could be used against specific characters under some circumstances, but it doesn't really make sense vs another player character in direct conversation where they have full control over what their character says... I guess if they're fine yielding to a successful roll and their character doesn't have their guard up or suspicions/other reasons to be careful about what they say then it's all good. But yeah, this one can get complicated when it's against other players.

28. - Top - End - #28

Especially because Valette is definitely suspicious, so I just chose to ignore that roll and left it up for the DM if he wanted to reveal anything.

29. - Top - End - #29

Aeti: check out the links in my signature. The &goto=newpost tag at the end of the URL is the magic ticket.

30. - Top - End - #30

I'm off for now, will probably check back later tonight. Just heard from our final player, he'll be with us soon.