Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Strange Fortune (OOC)

Okay, bit late to the party by the looks of things. Also first time player, but familiar with the general mechanics of things.

Sam Cobbleson, Human Rogue
    Height: 6'00"
    Weight: 185 lb
    Hair: Light Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Sam didn't want to make shoes for a living. Unlike his great-grandfather, grandfather, and father, he had strong mischievous tendencies*. He was raised by his father and grandfather, his mother disappeared when he was a toddler under mysterious circumstances.

He would work long days for his family making shoes, but he never quite got the knack for it. Sam was given the simpler tasks in the shop; fetching leather, handing out flyers in the town square in his home town of Wettonbend, and creating sales contracts with shops in other towns and cities in the area. After each day of his apprenticeship, Sam would run off into the forest to practice his archery into the setting sun. He would spend hours firing arrows at the silhouettes of small creatures against the waning sun.

One day while on his business travels, Sam met a young girl in the nearby city of Beävella. They had a whirlwind romance in his few days spent there, which culminated with him asking for her hand in marriage. Unfortunately, her father was a nobleman in the town and, because of Sam's common status, asked for an exorbitant bride price for his daughter's hand. Unable to pay the fee, Sam left town that night; but he never went home.

Sam gave up the family business and disappeared from his past life. He was determined to pay the small fortune asked by the nobleman, by nearly any means necessary. He became a traveling thief. "Not a bandit," he always clarifies. "Bandits are oafish thugs. Thieves have some honour, even in their misdoings." His exploits are not always criminal though, he has been known to attend festivals in disguise to enter archery contests, and can occasionally be found doing trick shots for some spare coin.

*(It was rumoured that somewhere along the line, one of his mother's ancestors got a little too friendly with a sorcerer's imp familiar; but those claims are unproven).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Awesome.

Another technical note I should mention: Everyone please check your PDF sheet and make sure that you've manually entered your DEX modifier into the box of the same name next to your defense/AC score (It should do this automatically, but doesn't).

3. - Top - End - #33

Valette isn't just talking to Jacinth with that last comment btw, it's an opening for everyone to introduce yourselves if your character is so inclined, so we don't have to shout things like DWARF! GET OVER HERE!
    HUMAN MALE! Hold that door!

4. - Top - End - #34

RogueGuy

Should have tried this out before attempting it in the game thread...

(1d20+4)[23]

5. - Top - End - #35

Btw James, my bat has blindsense 20ft, so depending on how big the room is, he could have been alarmed as well.
    Not that that would help very much atm. "Hmm my bat feels worried" but in the future maybe!

6. - Top - End - #36

Ah, yes. Sorry, the bat totally slipped my mind. Way down at the bottom of the sheet. I'll make sure that doesn't get forgotten again.

7. - Top - End - #37

He's easy to forget! I haven't even introduced him ingame yet. Maybe he's outside? But for the sake of convenience he's hiding in my sleeve.

Also, fellow awesome party-mates, please don't be mad when Valette sits out this fight, if it is a fight, because she has no spells. Turns out if you don't re-memorize spells after you sleep you don't get anything... and she's spent a few days being memory-lossed and nightmare'd of some sort. Not keeping up with her studies. At the moment she's equivalent to a level 1 commoner.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-02 at 04:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

RogueGuy

Dodge, could you use the spoiler tags for your non-character talk? kthx. Ps, Dodge, are you Tom H.?
    Such as item collection and thoughts? I will in the future, and I was using italics because Aeti did for internal dialogue.

Ps. Yes.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Hey man it's Nic B. I just meant if it was you talking and not your character. I guess I just couldn't tell. Schwhatever.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

11. - Top - End - #41

RogueGuy

I thought of that reference earlier on in thinking how to get out of this cage (pre-search), but I decided that my character has a bit more class than pissing on his shirt.

It could work with this rag, but I have nothing to use as the stick bit.

Edit: Also, we don't know what's on this rag. It could be an acid or something that makes the cloth weaker. Though I suppose that I would still be able to keep the scraps for a clue, instead of the entire piece.
    Last edited by Dodge Magnum; 2012-06-02 at 10:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Might make everything less confusing too if characters are all written in third-person. Then there should be no issue distinguishing between character and player (first person), even if formatting is forgotten.

13. - Top - End - #43

Haha, I didn't even think of that with the rag. That'sthe fun of this, having you guys get creative.

14. - Top - End - #44

RogueGuy

Third person for in-character it is. I shall edit any posts accordingly.

And as far as what Aeti and I were doing with thoughts - should those be spoiler tagged (because technically the other players can't hear it) or are italics cool (because technically we're in character)?

(semantics) And, if italics are fine, then talking in first person in them should also be fine because it's the character talking to him/herself. Correct?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Ah **** I can't escape artist my way out anyways, I'd have to roll a 30 :(.

I'll pee on my shirt if you guys find a stick, I don't have class. I'm just worried that my character won't be strong enough. I can probably then get out of my cell and bust you guys out.

Is the dog small enough to fit through the bars? It could at least bring stuff back and forth, or search the room.

16. - Top - End - #46

RogueGuy

We have the possibility of metal strips now. We could try giving them to our strongest character (I'm assuming it's Tharin) or I have a chunk of points in Use Rope that may be applicable. (Ruling on that, James?) Or we could both try it, seeing as how we have multiple shirts in case one breaks.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Depending on how far the torch is from my cell, I thought I could use the metal strips to pull it over. If i can get the torch into my cell I could probably do it, it's five feet tall which affords a lot of leverage. I just have no idea what action that would fall under.

ugh now I have a headache from squeezing my head through the window

18. - Top - End - #48

RogueGuy

If you can't - try throwing them to Aeti. She seems to be closest to the torch stand.
    Last edited by Dodge Magnum; 2012-06-02 at 10:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

I keep forgetting about this thread :\.
    As for internal dialogue, I'm comfortable enough with it because it adds flavour. I don't think it's really an issue so long as it's in character. I'm also for using the third person, and explicit use of your character's name, especially mine since Whiskey can't speak.

@Shakedown: It's borderline but Whiskey is still a bit too big to squeeze through the bars.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Magnum View Post
    Third person for in-character it is. I shall edit any posts accordingly.

And as far as what Aeti and I were doing with thoughts - should those be spoiler tagged (because technically the other players can't hear it) or are italics cool (because technically we're in character)?

(semantics) And, if italics are fine, then talking in first person in them should also be fine because it's the character talking to him/herself. Correct?
    Yeah, italics in first person is perfect for character's thoughts. Anything storytelling-wise should be visible in the thread, it's just rolls, rules, technicalities, and OOC stuff that should be in spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Ah **** I can't escape artist my way out anyways, I'd have to roll a 30 :(.

Is the dog small enough to fit through the bars? It could at least bring stuff back and forth, or search the room.
    Yeah, I just looked that up too. I love that you actually tried squeezing your head through a six-inch space though, major bonus points for that.

Whiskey is a small dog, so he could probably wiggle his way out on a decent roll because it would be a lower DC (difficulty class) for him.

Another technicality: If you don't mind taking a long time to do something, you can "take 10" or "take 20" on certain skills, basically just very slowly and carefully working at it to make sure you get the same result as rolling a 20 (or it could be trying over and over, the equivalent of sitting there rolling your die until you get a 20 if there's no penalty for failing and it makes sense that you can keep trying). It's not something you can do in a combat situation, or if you're otherwise distracted or in a hurry, but escape artist is one that this can apply to. So in the future, check if you can take 20 on certain skills if you have time to spare.

21. - Top - End - #51

We have the possibility of metal strips now. We could try giving them to our strongest character (I'm assuming it's Tharin) or I have a chunk of points in Use Rope that may be applicable. (Ruling on that, James?)
    I'd say that once you know what you're doing it's probably just a straight-up matter of strength rather than having any particular skill with rope (although the idea for using this trick in the first place could possibly be spawned from a successful Use Rope check for figuring out some way to break cell bars using rope).

If you can't - try throwing them to Aeti. She seems to be closest to the torch stand.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FdaT2cwUzN2Z1E

Here's a map of the room, to clear up any confusion. The "w" represents Valette's bat so that I don't forget it, the "o" marks the free-standing torch.

22. - Top - End - #52

RogueGuy

Ah, that was a mistake on my part. Forgot that Valette is human, not the half elf. In which case, please do not throw the sconce bits to her.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jm_jazzman View Post
    The ability to squeeze her head between the cell bars affords Jacinth just enough reach to get a firm hold on the ruined sconce and wrench it from the wall.
    thanks for the shout-out bro

24. - Top - End - #54

RogueGuy

Shakedown: I was going to give you that cloth - at lando's irl request - but I was busy and didn't post about it. lol sorry.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

It's ok, it'll be good to keep it so we can find out what drugs we were on.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Test

eat own beard - (1d20+100)[117]

27. - Top - End - #57

Wow, dwarves get a pretty big racial mod to beard eating, huh?

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    "What do you all remember?"
    They came as I rested.. figures cloaked in mist, clouding my thoughts.. blurring the line between consciousness and dreaming! There was no malice, or hatred, no mention of an old score, only quick capture, and the promise of grim deeds to come..

Damn damn damn I should have started my first post with "Wake up! Wake up you, we've got to get out of here!"
    Imoen is the greatest.

For those who don't get the reference, it's how Baldurs Gate II started, at 1:50.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9N9ddsKg8

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKS...eature=related
    I can't believe this didn't even cross my mind when I was designing this character.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

YES! Best show ever!!!! I totally sing the theme song to myself sometimes.