Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Fortune (OOC)

Ha! Nic said it would be cheating for me to retcon myself a spell kit. Are the goblins still by the door, or have they moved towards thE middle of the room? Otherwise they're in my path anyways.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm normally very against retconning, but I'm allowing some exceptions here at the beginning because we kind of pushed the game into motion without making sure everyone's character sheets were 100% done (and I did say don't worry about equipment). Having a bard unable to cast spells would be terribly unhelpful though, and the spell component pouch she would have had falls under my list of "things that would be in the box".

3. - Top - End - #123

Right beside Valette's solid gold genie lamp of 10 wishes right?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just thought I'd add that even with a damaged fighter we shouldn't have any trouble. Whiskey has prepared some phat heals and Arf is pretty eager and capable of removing some faces. I can't remember if we're all armed yet, but even Whiskey has a half decent bite attack. Besides...
    They're goblins.

5. - Top - End - #125

We're level 1! Everything is big and scary at this level!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

I want to pickpocket their weapons/keys and interrogate them. I've got +7 to my sleight of hand. Am I allowed to know the DC of that roll before I make the decision? I might change my mind to sneak attack before committing to the action if it's too high.

7. - Top - End - #127

That's a massively complicated thing you're going to not succeed at unfortunately, first a Hide check against their 3 Spot checks, so it's doubtful you could even get close enough to grab it! then it's a pretty high sleight of hand check.. don't think you can pass. srd gives the example of a small object is DC 20, and these are small-medium weapons. So at the worst you have to roll above average three times, and at best it's unbeatable at our level.

It's easier to just give them a thrashing and ask questions after :D

It's hard to kill someone without knowing; Once you drop them to -1 hitpoints they're dying, and out of combat, but they have until -10 until they're dead dead, so don't worry about not being able to interrogate once it's done. Plus we'd get a bonus to Intimidate checks having kicked the goblin snot out of them.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-09 at 07:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

So let's all jump out and get 'em?

9. - Top - End - #129

RogueGuy

Fiiiiiine.

I'm just trying to find the proper calculations for attacking.

According to the wiki thing James gave us I get 1d20 + (weapon bonus) + 1d6 for sneak attacking. What is the weapon bonus? Do I have one?

10. - Top - End - #130

For a melee attack, you roll a d20, and add:
    Your base attack bonus.
    Your ability modifier. Normally this is STR, but if you have the feat Weapon Finesse, you would add your DEX to your attack modifier.
    Your weapon enhancement bonus (we're using unenchanted weapons, so nothing)

Damage is:
    Base damage of a dagger: 1d4
    +Strength Modifier
    +Sneak attack - 1d6
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-09 at 08:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

A sample attack of Valette would go like this. It speeds things up to include the damage roll, even when the attack roll might not connect.

She has 0 Base Attack Bonus (wizards are lame), and 8 strength, which gives a -1 strength modifier, so :

Valette bursts out from behind the door, unwisely brandishing her light hammer as she swings it wildly at the nearest goblin!

STOP! HAMMERTIME - (1d20-1)[10] (1d4-1)[1]

12. - Top - End - #132

Good one! Didn't think this'd come up, lol, but with a dagger, a roll of 19-20 on the die (not when you've combined everything) is what's called a Critical Threat. They're fun! Means you could score a Critical Hit, we tell if it's a normal hit or a Crit by rolling another attack (so same thing, 1d20+BAB+STR) and if that one would hit, your damage gets x2! (excepting sneak attack damage)
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-09 at 08:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

I've been thinking of ways to speed up combat in the future.

I think I may roll initiative for the whole party like I just did for all future encounters. That eliminates needing to wait for people to roll their own initiatives before the first actions can even be taken.

Also, if anyone knows what action they will likely take before their turn actually rolls around, you can post it in advance. "My character will shoot at the nearest enemy on my turn", or whatever. Hell, you can even make your attack roll in advance if you feel confident that it's definitely what you're going to do.

14. - Top - End - #134

My bat's name is Eyne, thank you very much, the archaic plural of "eyes" :) He acts on my turn.. and has no attacks. So until I can deliver touch spells with him, you don't have to worry about when he acts.

On her turn, Valette will move to K26 and use her standard action on Total Defence. (+4 to AC), just to give everyone else the +2 flanking bonus. However, If a goblin tries to get away, she'd give chase (even if that meant an attack of opportunity from another goblin).

15. - Top - End - #135

Alright, familiars and animal companions acting on the turn of their master makes sense and speeds things up. Happening. I didn't see that anywhere when I was reading, but it sounds like it should be a thing.

Nic, you can move a little more than that if you want, I think you could make it to P29 with a double-move. (Also, if you're moving in a straight line, you can run and quadruple your speed! But you lose your dex bonus to AC when you do this, just in case you're ever worried about someone hitting you while you run).

To clarify for everyone, tiles on the battle grid represent 5 feet.

Also, this is probably a good read for everyone, as it's likely the most technical aspect of the game: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm

Oh, and another rule: attacks of opportunity. If you're right next to an enemy (or otherwise occupying a tile that they can hit you with a melee weapon from), and you decide to move from that threatened square, they get to take a freebie swing at you. Attacks of opportunity can also be provoked by you taking certain actions (that would distract you, keep your hands occupied, etc) while in a threatened square.

If you're in a threatened square and you want to gee-tee-eff-oh without provoking an attack of opportunity, you have two options:
    1. 5-foot-step: You take a sneaky 5-foot-step backwards/sideways/whatever and can then use the rest of the non-movement portion of your turn however you please.
    2. Withdraw: This one I actually didn't know about before. This one takes up your whole turn (so no attacking or doing anything else), but allows you to do a double-move to get your ass out of trouble without provoking an AoO (unless you happen to pass through other threatened suqares during this movement, then those provoke their own AoOs). http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/act...t.htm#withdraw

16. - Top - End - #136

Additionally, no matter how far Thårin moves Whiskey would reach the same square this turn (in only one standard move action) and would still be able to cast a spell or something this turn unless he wants to move even more. Dogs are fast.
    Last edited by jm_jazzman; 2012-06-10 at 04:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Andrew texted me his move; Cure Light Wounds on Tharin
    Cure Light Wounds - (1d8+1)[9]

Valette's move is still unchanged. Walk up, total defence if the gobbo isn't going anywhere.

18. - Top - End - #138

It's super effective!

Right, forgot about that. Many things to keep track of.

19. - Top - End - #139

Aeti: I hereby appoint you official DM's Assistant.

But it still won't help you when rocks fall...

20. - Top - End - #140

More fun with rules! What Valette did is a coup de grace. You can finish off a helpless opponent without having to roll anything.

21. - Top - End - #141

Just doing some clean-up and want to double-check who has what items?

I know Valette and Thårin both took backpacks, did someone take the third one?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

I took it, along with all the random **** that was left by the other two.

23. - Top - End - #143

RogueGuy

Thank you Aeti. I was thinking of doing that during my own interrogation, but figured it was a little too evil.

24. - Top - End - #144

It's good to be bad!

Also if you want to be a ranged rogue, there's a feat you can take in a while (at level six), from the Player's Handbook II.

Deadeye Shot

Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Base Attack Bonus +4, skirmish or sneak attack ability

Description: By readying an action to fire when an ally strikes a particular target, you can treat that opponent as flat footed, and may apply your sneak attack or skirmish damage to the attack.

Means you're not forced to be the typical dagger rogue, and can use your bow without giving up your major class feature (sneak attack) in prolonged battles!

But yeah that's level 6 which is quite a while from now.

25. - Top - End - #145

RogueGuy

So many pretty feats!

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-han...striker--2564/

I want that one!
    Last edited by Dodge Magnum; 2012-06-11 at 12:46 PM. Reason: achievement unlocked: table destroyer!

26. - Top - End - #146

Level 9 though, so far awayyyyy. It's good that we started at level 1, so you guys know the basics, but man am I looking forwards to some of my later stuff.

Had to be careful I didn't get overpowered though, I'm trying to be at the same level of effectiveness as you guys.

Means I can't be a Lord of the Uttercold, create walls of negative energy, and have skeletal dragons fly through them for constant massive healing while they rip apart my enemies. It was tempting! but no.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-11 at 02:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Tom, you should look up the Shadow Dancer prestige class for later in the game, I think you'd like it. I played as one once, it was rad.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Can we carry the goblin? Or drag it or something?

29. - Top - End - #149

Haha, I suppose you could carry him if you're really not willing to waste a healing spell on him.

30. - Top - End - #150

Oh ****, he could totally ride on Arf.