Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Fortune (OOC)

hahah because it was all caps I thought at first you were like,

and I was like "thanks bro, you too!"

I'll go fix Jacinth now so she's not such a massive liability. I guess I don't need that much dex or strength since it's better for her to do things other than actually fight?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's totally what I was like!

More importantly:

As I posted somewhere in the past, you are allowed to make a 5-foot step out of a threatened square (and still take the rest of your turn without any further movement) without provoking an attack of opportunity. (Or you can withdraw, in which you run away without provoking an AoO, but don't get to do anything else that turn). So Jacinth can totally take the exact same turn without provoking the attack against her if she takes a 5-foot step out of danger first.

3. - Top - End - #243

Point buy sucks.
    For a bard:
    CHARISMA is gloriously triumphant! Your primary stat for spellcasting, and all your abilities.
    Next should be CONSTITUTION because everyone needs constitution for not being dead.

finally, a +1 in STRENGTH wouldn't be bad, because you are a melee fighter and every bit helps.

Dexterity: a +1 to AC isn't that helpful, when alls said and done, compared to strength where you add +1 to hit and +1 to damage. Don't waste points here.

Wisdom; pssh, dump this!
    Intelligence; bards get lots of skill points, this should also be low, since it doesn't apply to much at all.

4. - Top - End - #244

K, I'm off for the night. Might post from phone later.

5. - Top - End - #245

This is Valette's turn, casting on the grimlock that will provoke the most attacks of opportunity if it moves.

Throwing her arms wide, a rush of power tingles through Valette she speaks words of Black Art. She points her finger at the grimlock and a nimbus of black lightning surrounds it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cause Fear: Will save DC 15 or grimlock will attempt to flee Valette for (1d4)[2] rounds. (Everyone will get an attack of opportunity as it mindlessly flees).
    On a successful will save, the grimlock is shaken. (A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.)

6. - Top - End - #246

Note: Sam's position has been edited. He thought he was on the edge against the wall because that's where he appeared to be when his browser was zoomed way out to see more of the map. So yeah, let it be known that the positioning of images on the map gets messed up when you play with the zoom too much.

7. - Top - End - #247

Also, a note about Jacinth's spell: Any spell that has a verbal component (and that includes all bard spells) needs to be spoken in a strong voice. It was not a big deal for this round, but I just wanted to make sure that quietly whispering a spell didn't become part of any future sneaky plans.

8. - Top - End - #248

Why attack the frightened grimlock, if it dies before its turn then my spell is wasted, and you have another big scary grimlock about to beat the snot out of you..

9. - Top - End - #249
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

I was reading the d20 site thing on attacks of opportunity and read this:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/att...pportunity.htm

An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).
    Assumed that to mean that it didn't count in the normal turn order... Can someone clarify?

10. - Top - End - #250

Moved this massive wall of text here when it grew too big.

Spoiler
    Show
    1d20+3 for Tharin. You're getting +2 from flanking with Sam. Doesn't change your effect (sickle misses, knife still hits) but it should be there!

Also you're either neglecting to include your strength bonus or your base attack bonus. (As a fighter, you get +1 BAB at first level)

Bunch of explanation/advice stuff because you're new players! It needs to be said and I'm not sure James ever said it; he was pretty busy arranging the game... And you've probably realized a lot of it already but I'm going to say it anyway!
    Tharin's strength is incredibly low for a fighter. Fighters are about sticking pointy metal in other people: strength lets you hit more often and harder, so it should be your highest stat. Constitution second. Wisdom, intelligence and charisma should probably all be at 8. Dexterity wouldn't be a problem at 8 either. Using 25 point buy, the best stats for a fighter would be 17 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 8 wis, 8 int, 8 cha. (Plus racial modifiers). The problem is, you're with two weapon fighting and you're needing 15 defence at the expense of everything else; so despite having two weapons you're hitting less often. (Because you have a -2 modifier, and less strength than possible. Alternately you have less constitution, but that just means you're dead faster which also = hitting less often as a result of spending your time imprinting the floor patterns on your face.)

With a +3 strength bonus, you'd get +3 to hit and +3 damage. Strength is important!! And one of the class features of a fighter is ability to wear heavy armour; culminating with Full Plate Mail. As a dwarf, you move exactly the same speed in heavy armour as in nothing at all (but please don't test that, for the love of god our eyes will melt at dwarven physiology) but armour has something called a Max Dex Bonus. Yours is +2 (possibly +3?) since you have Two Weapon Fighting. That means you're giving something up. Either your totally bitching armour or your dexterity modifier which you've spent points on.

Also more unsolicited advice!
    Earlier James said you Sam two bonus languages for a high intelligence modifier, and Tharin got one. Rogues do not need intelligence at all; they already get an incredible amount of skill points from their base class. Melee fighters really should be putting all possible points into the melee attributes.

Attacks of opportunity are basically bonus attacks you get under special circumstances. When someone in melee does something that opens them to attack, your seizes the chance (Hence "attack of opportunity"). It doesn't change the order of combat or anything. Character 1 does something silly on his turn, Character 2 says "oh man he's so open, I'm going to whack him!" and pow!. Character 1 gets to finish his turn, and combat continues normally.

Atm I'm trying to find something that lets Tharin give up heavy armour proficiency for something useful, because two weapon fighting is cool, but later that choice is going to bite him.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-22 at 12:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251

RogueGuy

Wow, and James totally spelled out who gets to make AoO's in that post too. That's what I get for posting first thing after waking up in the morning.

Made that attack in the assumption that it was one of opportunity, James is it alright to retcon that one?

Also more unsolicited advice!
    Earlier James said you Sam two bonus languages for a high intelligence modifier, and Tharin got one. Rogues do not need intelligence at all; they already get an incredible amount of skill points from their base class. Melee fighters really should be putting all possible points into the melee attributes.
    But the handbook says INT is important for rogues :(
    Last edited by Dodge Magnum; 2012-06-22 at 12:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

Man there's like nothing that lets you give up heavy armour for a fighter, why does Wizards of the Coast hate on two weapon wielding so much :(

Lol, the handbook lies!

EDIT: Actually there is something Tharin could do. Be a ranger! Rangers are neat; they get two weapon fighting as a bonus feat at second level, later on they get spells and an animal companion. Same attack bonuses as fighters too. So that's what I recommend. Either be a fighter and use bad ass plate mail, or be a ranger and use bad ass two weapons.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-22 at 12:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Aeti View Post
    Also you're either neglecting to include your strength bonus or your base attack bonus. (As a fighter, you get +1 BAB at first level)
    The +1 is correct, as far as I can see for his current stats. It's +1 BAB and +2 Str, and then -2 for each hand if double-wielding with Two Weapon Fighting feat and a light weapon in off-hand.

14. - Top - End - #254

+2 str but he's only been adding +1 to his damage rolls?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

James and I already discussed in person some changes that I'd like to make because of some things I didn't realize at the beginning of the game, such as beefing strength. I also went through everything with James beforehand so it was all reviewed, but like I just said I'll be doing some tweaking. I'll deal with the changes after this battle.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Aeti View Post
    +2 str but he's only been adding +1 to his damage rolls?
    Good catch, thanks.

And yeah, we talked about making Thårin tank-ier. We'll be implementing changes after this battle.

17. - Top - End - #257

Nic meant to shoot at the non-fear'd grimlock btw.

18. - Top - End - #258

Nic is Thårin, he ain't shootin' nothin. He attacked the non-feared one (the only one left when his turn came up anyway).
    Last edited by jm_jazzman; 2012-06-22 at 04:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Magnum View Post
    That's what I get for posting first thing after waking up in the morning.

Made that attack in the assumption that it was one of opportunity, James is it alright to retcon that one?
    My bad. THIS GUY.

Sorry for getting your character mixed up, Nic! And I'm glad you didn't need any of my advice
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-22 at 04:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260

Oh. Can't make AoO with ranged weapon, and I'm still not sure where Sam is supposed to be standing because he mentioned to me last night that he thought he was in the corner, but then was talking about taking a 5-foot step back. Either of those things would also prevent AoO though.

21. - Top - End - #261

I'm sure arf/tharin/whiskey's attacks of opportunity will be enough, anyway.

*Crosses fingers*

22. - Top - End - #262

But if he would rather shoot at the non-frightened one, then ok. But yeah, fixing this later, I'm off for a while now. In the meantime, Whiskey/Arf and Tharin can roll attacks of opportunity in the OOC thread because no arrow from Sam means that the thing is fleeing. For Tharin, pretty sure AoO is just a single attack with primary weapon (at full +3), two-weapon-attack not possible for that.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

wait, I thought the scared grimlock was dead? does that cancel the attacks of opportunity that everyone got because it was trying to run away?

edit - nevermind you guys are all over it

Also do I have more than 6 hp now?

Thanks for adding the stats page it really helps!
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-22 at 04:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

It was dead because I thought Sam shot it, but apparently he didn't mean to shoot that one because he thought he was making an attack of opportunity against it (which he actually couldn't anyway).

Like I said, not big on retconning, but when there's obviously been some confusion and a character acting in not the most logical way because of that, I'll allow it, especially as some players are still figuring out the bazillion rules that this game has.

I think part of the confusion here is people were making attacks of opportunity too soon, and I assumed that the AoO rolls were people taking their turns.

Combat is weird because everything is happening simultaneously in-game, but things have to happen in turn order for us for things to actually make sense. So yes the Grimlock was scared and "fleeing" as soon as the spell was cast on it, but attacks of opportunity can't be made against it until during its turn when it's actually allowed to move on the grid. Rolling an AoO in advance is fine if you know it's going to happen, but in the future it should be specifically labelled as such. Otherwise I can't tell what's an AoO in advance and what's someone taking their turn.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

James, if you wouldn't mind rolling attack of opportunities for me when it comes up, that'd be great. I'm not sure when I'm going to be home tonight.

26. - Top - End - #266

RogueGuy

To clear up confusions caused by me;

In regards to my map location; first off (in the first combat round), I was zoomed too far out on the map and mistook Valette's avatar for my own and thus didn't take the step back that James mentioned (and then gave me because he's nice). When I posted this morning, I posted without checking the map to see that James (being nice) put me in the corner instead of just a step back. If I was in the corner at the time of my attack this morning, please don't make me step into the water; I'm fine where I am.

In regards to my targeting/AoO confusion; when I read James' thing about AoO on the frightened grimlock this morning 5 minutes after waking up, I read "whiskey/arf and sam... attack of opportunity," went "oh, okay," looked up what to do with an AoO and was confused, decided to do it anyways. If it's going to screw a bunch of **** up - just leave everything as is and I apologize for killing the helpless one that would have been easy to pick off.

I should just make a rule for myself that I'm not allowed to post between the hours of 12am and 8am because I will do stupid things because I'm tired.

27. - Top - End - #267

No worries, confusions happen. The displacement of icons on the map when zoomed way out is really weird.

I may not post again tonight. We'll see.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

Too busy and PARTY AND PARTY AND PARTY AND PAH AND PAH AND PARTY

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

And Party
    And Party
    And Party
    And Pah
    And Pah