New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default DC superhero "coming out"

According to MSN, an established DC hero is "coming out"...

I just wanted to tap the psyche of the Playground to see who you all think it might be. I've been out of DC too long to have much of a guess myself.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DC superhero "coming out"

Huh. Sounds like a bit of a publicity stunt to me, but eh, there are worse ways to do that.

Considering the reboot basically gives them free reign to change characters, it could be just about anyone. From what I understand the only major hero whose marriage survived the reboot is Aquaman, so he'd be just about the only one out of the running - though that's assuming that the character will be gay specifically; I suppose they could mean bisexual instead.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a better article.

Also don't count on it being anyone actually prominent. Certainly not prominent enough to hold down their own title. (Okay maybe as "prominent" as Supergirl if its a lady... but I doubt it)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh no a gay DC Superhero..... You know there are pre existing homosexual and lesbian superheroes in DC and Marvel already.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Making news out of it pretty much confirmed it won't be handled well I think.

Hopefully they do it better than Northstar...
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-05-20 at 09:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Here's a better article.

Also don't count on it being anyone actually prominent. Certainly not prominent enough to hold down their own title. (Okay maybe as "prominent" as Supergirl if its a lady... but I doubt it)
    Actually, reading that article and the one it links to, don't count on it being anyone remotely prominent. They say they're about to "reintroduce" a character who wasn't gay before but will be now, which means it has to be someone who has thus far been absent from the post-reboot comics. And I'm pretty sure that all the prominent characters have been in already.

...wait. Wait no, actually, I can think of one that hasn't. While I don't read the comics myself (aside from trades of the Green Lantern series, and the first of the post-reboot ones haven't hit yet), I do have a friend who reads literally everything DC puts out, and occasionally have him tell me about the current goings-on in them, and this character's mysterious absence has come up more than once over the last year.

Wally West, the second Flash. He's been missing since the reboot, with Barry Allen being the current Flash and Bart Allen being the current Kid Flash. My friend has remarked several times on how strange this is, given Barry Allen was just resurrected shortly before the reboot, after a twenty-plus year period of being dead with Wally being the Flash. This kind of stunt might just explain why such a major character hasn't yet been included in the post-reboot universe.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-05-20 at 09:17 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7

Meh. I don't really read comic books that much. Honestly, I'm not sure what significance this has.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Oh no a gay DC Superhero..... You know there are pre existing homosexual and lesbian superheroes in DC and Marvel already.
    I do know that, actually. I was just curious as to who this one might be, and wondering if the Playground had any insight. For the record, I don't think it a "bad" thing, as your post seemed (IMO) to imply. I could be wrong about the intent of your post, since tone cannot be easily trasmitted through text...
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

haven't they and marvel both done the "reveal that a hero is gay" thing multiple times already since the early 90's? /YAWN
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Honestly, making an established hero gay isn't nearly as shocking as they seem to think it will be, especially since they've already caused far more major changes. Making Billy Batson an unlikable jerk, for instance.

I'm bothered that they're making such a big announcement out of it. I mean, was there this much hubbub from Marvel when they had Ultimate Colossus come out?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Honestly, I'd prefer it if this was about a TV show and not comics. Comics have had gay characters for almost two decades now. It's just not surprising or revolutionary anymore. However, TV shows, especially kids' shows, tend to avoid the topic like the plague. That's were we need more gays.

Although, that said, Bruce Timm has been really great about it, adding gay characters to his stuff, like Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series, which is quite coincidental considering the topic at hand. :P
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    For the record, I don't think it a "bad" thing, as your post seemed (IMO) to imply. I could be wrong about the intent of your post, since tone cannot be easily trasmitted through text...
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    haven't they and marvel both done the "reveal that a hero is gay" thing multiple times already since the early 90's? /YAWN
    This is why no one really cares for this. It's the same reaction as when they gut random heroes to replace them with almost identical minority characters: it's an author tract at best and a PR stunt at worst. There's not really any conceivable purpose for such a stunt outside that and next-to-no chance this will end well. If one wanted to really say something important about the state of affairs, there's already quite a few LGBT characters there to say it with. You must only advertise them.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-05-20 at 10:16 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Wally West, the second Flash. He's been missing since the reboot, with Barry Allen being the current Flash and Bart Allen being the current Kid Flash. My friend has remarked several times on how strange this is, given Barry Allen was just resurrected shortly before the reboot, after a twenty-plus year period of being dead with Wally being the Flash. This kind of stunt might just explain why such a major character hasn't yet been included in the post-reboot universe.

Zevox
    Fascinating... of course this would mean a publicity stunt since Wally is obviously not around because well, you have Flash and Kid Flash but three characters so ONE of them has to be benched. I can see why Wally would draw the short straw there, because people will handle his absence better then a regression to Kid Flash.

I'd be very surprised if they went for something so high on the tree, but it is tangibly possible I must admit. Still the safe bet is on some B/C lister on a team or other satellite character. Not like comic book editors don't crank out marketing BS or nothing.

(Side note as most books are by definition only maybe one story in or so I wouldn't take non-appearence too seriously as a requirement depending on the character and specifics of their appearence. This apparently derives from a Q&A panel not a press release)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Meh, so long as they dont go some ludicrous direction like going as stereotypically gay as possible. In other words, I dont want Superman to start acting like Big Gay Al from South Park. So long as that isnt the direction i dont really care much. Revealing that one of the male or female heroes is gay shouldnt have that much of an effect, at least not past the story arc the makes this "big reveal"

Honestly, that would probably be the thing that annoys me the most. Going too far towards in your face writing, where every other panel has to mention that wally west suddenly likes dudes, or that hawkgirl is sighing over wonder woman, or where every other story arc revolves around the homosexuality of the hero in some manner,

Batman: "Omg! My boyfriend **** Grayson was kidnapped! We need to save him, because I love him. He is my boyfriend you know!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Fascinating... of course this would mean a publicity stunt since Wally is obviously not around because well, you have Flash and Kid Flash but three characters so ONE of them has to be benched.
    I don't see why. The Green Lantern comics have fully four human GLs active, and have since Hal Jordan's resurrection a good seven or eight years ago now. Granted they're spread over three books now, but for a while it was only two, with two Earth GLs per book. I could see Barry and Wally sharing the spotlight in one Flash book in that kind of manner, or even each getting his own book. Or at least Wally getting put on one of the dozens of team books DC does while Barry gets the main Flash book.

Basically, I don't see them needing to just ignore one of the three Flashes just because there are three of them.

Still the safe bet is on some B/C lister on a team or other satellite character. Not like comic book editors don't crank out marketing BS or nothing.
    True, I'm just extrapolating based on the assumption that they actually mean what they said. They could always just be over-hyping something much more minor.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-05-20 at 10:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I'll take "Shameless Publicity Stunt" for $100, Alex.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see why. The Green Lantern comics have fully four human GLs active, and have since Hal Jordan's resurrection a good seven or eight years ago now. Granted they're spread over three books now, but for a while it was only two, with two Earth GLs per book. I could see Barry and Wally sharing the spotlight in one Flash book in that kind of manner, or even each getting his own book. Or at least Wally getting put on one of the dozens of team books DC does while Barry gets the main Flash book.

Basically, I don't see them needing to just ignore one of the three Flashes just because there are three of them.
    Calling it. The gay guy is going to be Kilowog.

18. - Top - End - #18

At this point it'd be more shocking if DC actually introduced a STRAIGHT female character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Talking about their homosexuality every other panel? Well, it's just a romance, and they do tend to shove romance down our throat- I mean, Superman is always jibber-jabbering about Lois Lane and having to go save her and mentioning her in other conversations. I don't see why it'd suddenly be worse if it was a dude.

And, it definitely has to be a dude. Not straight girls are almost, dare I say, common now and play into nerd fantasy. It has to be a guy or it just doesn't count anymore.
    Last edited by Buwh; 2012-05-21 at 11:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Opened article. Saw the name Dan DiDio. Read the second "I" as an "L".

Stopped reading article because there is no way any of the actual content would be as interesting as that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

My guess is it's going to be Mr. Terrific. (rimshot)

Mark another one down in the shameless publicity stunt catagory.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Bet you anything it will be a female and not a male. Just a prediction.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

We live in interesting times when society makes a big deal about this, but in a 'Ooh, we're so edgy' kind of way.
    I had an idea for for a superhero duo who happen to be gay: Robert and Earnest Maxwell AKA Rook and Knight.
    Knight is a gymnastic type with a kind of short ranged teleportation, allowing him get the drop on enemies, literally, coming at them from unexpected angles.
    Rook is an almost literal brick wall of a man, a big heavy bruiser with force fields attached to his forarms like sheilds. He starts slow, but once he gets up to speed, inertia practically does the work for him.
    Like I aid, they happen to be gay, but are in a happy relationship, partners in every sense of the word.
    Sure, there's beeps, but that's always the case in any long term relationship.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-05-21 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Well it can't be Batman because I'm pretty sure he's already come out.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Oh joy a hero is going to be having another romantic subplot. *fails to suppress yawn*

Though honestly, if this is the big news from the DC Reboot, I'm kind of glad I stopped keeping up with comics years ago.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buwh View Post
    Talking about their homosexuality every other panel? Well, it's just a romance, and they do tend to shove romance down our throat- I mean, Superman is always jibber-jabbering about Lois Lane and having to go save her and mentioning her in other conversations. I don't see why it'd suddenly be worse if it was a dude.

And, it definitely has to be a dude. Not straight girls are almost, dare I say, common now and play into nerd fantasy. It has to be a guy or it just doesn't count anymore.
    You know what. I actually miss that just a little. I can't really remember the last time Supes has actually had to Save Lois from something in comics it would be nice for nostalgia's sake for it to happen again.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

As much as I don't like this being made a publicity stunt, and being an ally I find that making a character homosexual simply for profit and comic sales to be incredibly offensive, I would LOVE to see a gay Superman, Batman or Green Lantern.

As unlikely as it would be that they'd retool one of their major characters in such a way (especially Superman, since they are apperently re-tooling him for a romance with Wonderwoman) I would actually go a little easier on the reboot in general, stop hating it so much, and maybe even pick up a copy of Gay Superman/ Batman. It would be a pretty good advancement for gay rights if DC showed that the major Super heroes can be gay without it being "weird" or "alienating" and just having them act like, you know, a regular human being.

That is, if this is treated well. Which it won't be. Not to be an elitist and whiney nerd (guess I'm already too late) but DC just went friggen DOWNHILL with this reboot and publicity-whoring crap. While some stories coming out of it have been good apperently, the entire thing's been really dissapointing and the bone-headed descisions they've made lately, like this one, have really made me lose respect in the company. Before the reboot, they were my favourites instead of Marvel.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    As much as I don't like this being made a publicity stunt, and being an ally I find that making a character homosexual simply for profit and comic sales to be incredibly offensive, I would LOVE to see a gay Superman, Batman or Green Lantern.

As unlikely as it would be that they'd retool one of their major characters in such a way (especially Superman, since they are apperently re-tooling him for a romance with Wonderwoman) I would actually go a little easier on the reboot in general, stop hating it so much, and maybe even pick up a copy of Gay Superman/ Batman. It would be a pretty good advancement for gay rights if DC showed that the major Super heroes can be gay without it being "weird" or "alienating" and just having them act like, you know, a regular human being.

That is, if this is treated well. Which it won't be. Not to be an elitist and whiney nerd (guess I'm already too late) but DC just went friggen DOWNHILL with this reboot and publicity-whoring crap. While some stories coming out of it have been good apperently, the entire thing's been really dissapointing and the bone-headed descisions they've made lately, like this one, have really made me lose respect in the company. Before the reboot, they were my favourites instead of Marvel.
    But but, Demon Knights is good. And umm... I can't think of anything else improved by it.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Goblin

Actually, reading that article and the one it links to, don't count on it being anyone remotely prominent. They say they're about to "reintroduce" a character who wasn't gay before but will be now, which means it has to be someone who has thus far been absent from the post-reboot comics. And I'm pretty sure that all the prominent characters have been in already.

...wait. Wait no, actually, I can think of one that hasn't. While I don't read the comics myself (aside from trades of the Green Lantern series, and the first of the post-reboot ones haven't hit yet), I do have a friend who reads literally everything DC puts out, and occasionally have him tell me about the current goings-on in them, and this character's mysterious absence has come up more than once over the last year.

Zevox
    Tvtropes will have entire pages of unfortunate implications to write about it for weeks if that's really true.

Also, homosexualism and publicity stun - that's a new low, even for DC. Hell, even for DC after they pulled out "Ro-Bama" bullmanure.

I can't think of anything else improved by it.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, probably Ressurection Man, through I'm behind with that one.

At this point it'd be more shocking if DC actually introduced a STRAIGHT female character.
    Batman-raping Catwoman? Or did Judd Winnick make her bisexual too?
    How many bisexual characters does DC have anyway? Marvel has somehwere around 13 if I remember correctly (however many they have, the ratio was one man more than number of women when I was counting).
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-05-21 at 08:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Batman-raping Catwoman?
    When the hell did that happen?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."