New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Highland Archipelago: Terror in the Mist (IC)

You all arrive in Aurora, the northern most town on Port Isle, on the Green Star, one of the only ships that still sails to Aurora with the Mist and Rain Surronding it. You arrive in early morning, though it is impossible to tell with the mass of dark clouds above you, it may as well be night.The Captain of the Green Star allows you each to get off before his crew start to unload large Crates from the ship. The docks you stand on look close to abandoned, with only one man supervising the Green Star's crew on where to put the crates. As you shift your bodies and walk around, the docks give an uneasy creaking, threating to break from disrepair.
    OOC:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...5#post13314895
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-05-30 at 04:43 PM.
    Call me Crazy

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Highland Archipelago: Terror in the Mist (IC)

La Siréene looks around at his surroundings, and at his companions. They were a pronounced and very varied lot, both in their views and outlook, expressiveness and exterior. La Siréene was quite fond of all of them.

He had traveled with them for three weeks now, a time he had taken advantage of to get to know and befriend all of them. It had been a long and arduous trip, and he knew now that traveling by **** was not his preferred way, but now, to arrive in such a place, with such remarkable people, it was certainly worth it.

La Siréene Dorée himself was physically quite handsome, not overly tall but with blue eyes and beautiful golden hair down to his shoulders, with a thin but strong and agile build.

La Siréene speaks in a slow tone of voice, emotionally filled to the brim, carefully and lovingly filling every phrase with care and emotion, gersturing softly with his hands as he speaks and throwing smiles all the while.

Well, here we are. Nice setting, I must say. It is boding, in a charming way.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-05-30 at 05:42 PM.
    If A Person Am I is too long an handle, feel free to call me APMI.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    none
    [/table]

Brother Pedivere nods silently to the captain as he prepares for disembarkation. His axe rests comfortably in it's strap across his back, and he now wears his Scale armour, freshly oiled, for the first time since the trip began.

At first he wasn't sure about this trip, what it would mean to him, what it would entail. But now he was certain that the trip had been the right decision. The other passengers that traveled with him were a ragtag bunch of misfits, with more than 1 evil doer among them. After quiet, contemplative prayer, he had come to the conclusion that it was a test from Iomedae. A test of his mettle and resolve, of his patience and his faith. He would need to help at least one of them see the light.

Stepping off the boat, the Paladin was surprised to find that his legs still adjusted for the roll of the waves, waves that were no longer there. Never having traveled on a vessel like the Green Star before, this was all knew to him.

The mist was quite disconcerting, and he strained his eyes to see if anyone else was about, but his gaze was not strong enough to pierce the fog.

As La Siréene spoke, Pedivere walked over to the cold-natured Bard.

We should seek an Inn, those clouds look like they could burst at a moments notice. There should be one nearby.
    Last edited by Grail; 2012-05-30 at 11:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Casius likewise departs the boat wearing his armor, one hand absently resting on the haft of the heavy mace on his belt. His armored boots thunk heavily on the dock, and he spares an almost sneering sweep of his gaze about the dock as he departs the boat, running a hand through his hair.

He turns his gaze upon both La Siréene and Brother Pedivere as they speak, his face a carefully set expression of mild interest. He listens as they speak, his mind working all the while. The pair of them, frankly, disgusted him- Though for different reasons. La Siréene seemed nothing more than an idle gossip and typical bard, while Brother Pedivere struck him as almost painfully naive.

He spared a moment to shoot a glance upwards at the clouds at their mention, arms crossing behind his back at the wrists. Finally, he speaks. I do agree. I'd rather not spend any more time in this fog or the weather than is absolutely necessary.. To say nothing of this dock, which obviously has seen better days.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As the others disembark, Makoa waits on the ship, silently conversing with himself. Something is here. The gods have sent me to this place for a reason.

Makoa steps off of the ship, slightly behind the pack. Waiting for a consensus to be made Makoa already has begun to scope out possible escape routes if the party go awry.

Let us be out of this dark place. Looking over to the captain of the ship Makoa asks him, "[COLOR="rgb(75, 0, 130)"]Where to the nearest building for food and drink, we require meat![/COLOR]

6. - Top - End - #6

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    none
    [/table]

Pedivere smiles at Casius as he approaches, but it is not a warm, welcoming smile though nor is it a duplicitous smile. It is merely a smile of polite greeting.

Yes, you are right Casius. Pedivere said, looking at the dock he stood upon, as though it would collapse at any moment. I spent the entire trip on that ship worried that if I wore my armour it would drag me down to a watery grave, and now it seems the danger is more close than it was before.

Motioning to the monstrously large and barbaric half-orc with a slight wave of his arm, he continued, I believe our primitive friend has the right idea asking the captain. I'm sure he knows of an inn close by, though as to its repute, I dare not guess. Of course, it wouldn't do to take Makoa to anything other than a place that is 'colourful' to say the least.

With that, Pedivere laughed slightly and then moved hurriedly towards more solid ground, his gait still impaired by the weeks at sea. It actually seemed to him that the ground was moving in a rolling, wave-like manner.

Surely the ground is solid and still! he mumbled to himself.
    Last edited by Grail; 2012-05-31 at 04:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

With his huge elven sword and large well-built stature, most assume Vash to be some manor of warrior. Few suspect the alchemically-tinkering kleptomaniac that lives within him.

Being cooped up on a ship for weeks was starting to drive Vash mad. I need to get off this ship... you can't steal anything in these close of quarters. I need room to move and most importantly, the ability to leave. As the boat docks, Vash sits back and waits for an opportunity to line his pockets as he disembarks. Once he see's something of value, he slips out, not quite hiding, but blending with the group and going unnoticed. That will do.. that will do just fine. While moving in, a flick of the wrist quickly ejects a blade from a sheath on his wrist and into his hand, and with a quick swipe the harbor masters purse is liberated and quickly pocketed. As Vash walks down the dock, he resets the springs and gears to the sheath to reload the hidden dagger.

Spoiler
    Show

Appraise to see something of value: (1d20+6)[21]
    Stealth to go relatively unnoticed with the crowd: (1d20+10)[25]
    Sleight of hand: (1d20+10)[13] <-- figures

Edit: Moved into main post
    if all goes well
    the **** is liberated and quickly pocketed. As Vash walks down the dock, he resets the springs and gears to the sheath to reload the hidden dagger.

EDIT: Soo.... hopefully the item of value that Vash tried to lift was unattended Maybe a small purse that the Harbourmaster had tied to a podium, or something that was dropped. Otherwise Vash will try to play it off as just bumping into the person because the boats rocking or that his feet are still uneasy being on dryland. Bluff is +7, but if he can escape into the crowd, his Stealth is +10.
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-05-31 at 09:52 AM.
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

8. - Top - End - #8

Vash:
    Spoiler
    Show

You successfully get a small coin purse off the harbor master's hip, however he has obvisously seen better days, in the purse is 1 GP 2 SP 15 CP and a small piece of paper, also the dock is almost completely empty, aside from the others getting off the ship, the harbormaster and the crew members working.
    Call me Crazy

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene smiles warmly at the devoted servant of Iomedae. He had been slightly surprised at the distance brother Pedivere had taken from him, but it had only served to make him curious. La Siréene found his devotion to follow the rules he set to himself, for himself, by his own choice, to be an interesting construct indeed.

Ah, then we have agreement. Let us find ourselves this tavern of ill repute, then, Pedivere, if I may call you that?

La Siréene follows behind the brother as he walks away from the dock.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-05-31 at 12:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Isaiah looks out into the greyness of the sea, his pale blue eyes focusing on the distant horizon. The gloomy weather suited him fine, for it matched his mood. The boat trip had been more or less uneventful ,which was a small blessing in itself, but the other passengers were rather colorful and diverse. Way too many priests for his liking and of differing factions to boot. He was especially weary of the templar, last thing he needed to do was be arrested by some uppity pup looking to prove himself to his order. The general age of the others made him feel old... a bitter smile forms upon his lips These old bones aren't dust yet, I reckon I have several tricks left up my sleeves to show up these youngens.

Sighing he moved away from the railing towards the ships exit, he purposely ignored the young half elf. Not out of spite or anything, just because he talked to much, Bishop was of the opinion a man should speak more with his actions than his mouth. That aside he did agree with Lasee or whatever he went by, an inn would be a nice change of pace, preferably one with strong drinks. He smiled as he observed Vash's restlessness, the only other person on this ship that wasn't just out of childhood. He quietly notes the older halfer hurried pace and simply chalks it up with personal business then removes it from his thoughts. His smile vanished quickly as he gazed at the young priest, this one he wasn't overly fond of, his uppity attitude and cold eyes bothered him but Bishop wasn't a man to start a commotion. The primative orc was droning on about being sick of the dark, an odd statement since his race preferred such conditions.

Taking a moment to glance back at the ship that bore him away from his troubles, his past, his disgrace Isaiah walks off of the ship and onto the docks, noting his surroundings.
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #11

As disscussion of finding an inn goes around, the rain starts to pour down on you.
    Call me Crazy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Casius gives a deep sigh, shooting a glare skywards, squeezing the bridge of his nose momentarily. Seeing as how we're all agreed, perhaps someone should take the lead... Harbor master! Would you be able to spare someone to lead us to the nearest inn of passable quality? Casius approaches the man, a single silver coin raised between two fingers.

13. - Top - End - #13

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    none
    [/table]

As the clouds split and began depositing their torrent upon the ground and the group, Pedivere couldn't help but think back to when he was a child, squired to the paladin Bereveres de Borden. That first day, Bedeveres had made the young half-orc stand in the rain for eight hours, in full armour upon a roughly hewn rock. Bedeveres had told him that standing in the rain like that would help build his strength, help build his character and strengthen his resolve, all important traits if he too was to become a paladin. Pedivere thought it crazy at the time, especially after he spent the next week sick and weak, still performing his squirely duties.

He understood now. He understood so many more things.

The rain then, the armour and the rock. They were metaphors for his life to come. The rain was the challenges that he would face, and that no matter how he wanted too, he could never defeat them all. The weight and discomfort of the armour was the burden that he would have to bear as a paladin, the requirement that he put aside his personal feelings and learn true humility and altruism. The rock symbolized the precarious balancing act that it was to be a paladin, and that to be truly balanced he would need to measure the challenge and the burden against each other.

He smiled. They had been hard lessons for a child of eleven, but they had left an indelible mark.

Pedivere headed towards the inn that the Harbour Master had told the group of, constantly keeping an eye out behind him to make sure that they all stayed together.

He had new challenges and burdens to balance now.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Makoa begins to walk toward the land. I don't like the looks of this place.And this rain is a bad omen.

Walking to the edge of the dock, Makoa looks around the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception
    (1d20+5)[11]

OOC: If there is nothing interesting to see, Makoa will follow the rest of the group to the inn and purchase a separate room.

15. - Top - End - #15

As the scrawny harbormaster points you towards the town and tells you the way to the inn, he says "say in at night kids, and get used to the rain." and he starts chuckling.
    Call me Crazy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As the rain starts to fall, La Siréene feels unease for a moment, as memories of rain during his life in the streets start to well up within him. He remembers the many times in the city when he would have to seek shelter from the rain, how he used to No. I am stronger than this. I will only be affected by that which I choose to let affact me. My past shall have only the hold on who I am that I allow it to have, no more.

It was an interesting experience to be out in the rain like this. He had rarely had a justified oppertunity in his life to walk through the rain like this, he had almost always experienced from the opposite side of the Opera's windows and glass doors.

La Siréene smilee as he walked towards the tavern behind Pedivere, intent to get himself a room and dry up, maybe get a meal and someone to talk with over it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Mikani whistles happily as she gets off the ship, smiling at the captain. "Thanks for the ride! Hopefully I'll see you again soon!"

She grins as she makes her way to the tavern, walking the same route as the other passengers. "You guys should like the inn. If I'm not prying... why did you all come here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene, realising once more his place in the physical reality, smiles at Mikani, who always seemed so full of energy and optimism, an replies, in cheery tones;

Curiosity, wanderlust and happenstance. Just as I felt I wanted to travel somewhere, I heard about how this place has become more cut of from the rest of the world of late, which got me interested.

He makes a soft flick, or perhaps a wave, indicating Mikani as he speaks.

What about yourself? This is a return home, if I have not misunderstood?

While his gestures and tone are very personal and open, his language has very little trace of dialect, or any hints of region or social standing.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-06-01 at 07:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Mikani nods. "Mmmm. Yeah, I was mostly on the ship as a favor from the captain- seeing some of the lands away from home."

She looks at him. "I mean, I might leave more permanently someday... but for now, I'm okay with staying here."

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene meets Mikani's eyes.

Well, of course. To have a place to calm home, and be able to be happy when returning to it, is such a common desire. So is, of course, the desire to see other places, or even live in other environments. If you find yourself having a desire for all of these things, then all you have to do is enjoy them as you see fit and are capable. Multiple needs, all of which one tries to meet. Simple. Uncomplicated.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose so.

Then again, why you're going or staying can be just as important as whether you're going or staying."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

At this, La Siréene gives an even broader smile.

Oh, I agree! That which drives our actions is quite often more important than what our actions actually are, in my personal opinion. Certainly more interesting. You can look at a person and see what actions they take, but you can't tell at a glance what obsessions guide their hand.

Short, theatrical pause, meaningful heightening of an eyebrow.

And curiosity has always been my guide. As such, I'll hope you'll forgive me my forthrightness, as I now ask what drives your actions?
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-06-01 at 09:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    none
    [/table]

Pedivere listened to the Wizard and Bard speak. He had seen and spoken with the wizard a few times on the ship, she was probably the most genuine person he had met on his trip thusfar. When Mikani asked what brought the group to the island, Pedivere was about to answer when La Siréene began. Closing his mouth, he listened quietly, he too was interested in what brought the bard here.

Arriving at the inn, Pedivere pushed the door open, happy to be out of the rain. La Siréene and Mikani were still talking, the rest of the group trailing. With one hand, Pedivere held the door open, waiting for all those that traveled on the ship to enter, with his other hand, he wiped away the wet from his face and flicked the droplets back outside.

I hope your journey abroad went well, he said to Mikani as she entered. And I hope your home coming is happy.

24. - Top - End - #24

As you enter the small inn, it is clear that it has seen better days, Boards that have sunk into the floor revealing the basement beneath, the walls covered in stains from unknown sources, and the rough looking bar that seems to serve as the inn counter as well appears empty. The shadowy light from a few candles is neglect to give the room any better atmosphere then outside, subtract the rain.
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-06-01 at 11:48 AM.
    Call me Crazy

25. - Top - End - #25

When Vash'iar enters the inn he shakes his head in disbelief. This place is pathetic, these people clearly have a problem and seem to just ignore all aspects of it.

He walks over to the counter and calls for the proprietor. I'd like to get a meal, cup of hot tea, and a room. Am I correct in assuming you have all these things available?

(allows for an answer and for his order to be put in)

What's going on here? How long has the weather been like this?

(allows for an answer)

Seems unnatural. Has anyone looked into this? There are priests maybe a mage that can investigate these things isn't there?
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

26. - Top - End - #26

Isaiah chuckled, a rare display from him, and shook his head at Vash as the half elf walks over "Tea? Goodman get my companion here a warm mulled ale on me. A night like this one could use a stiffer drink than tea. I take it you haven't traveled much to coastal regions." He stops to take a drink from his own mug "The climate in places like this is usually fairly rainy, nothing out of the ordinary so there is no need to get all superstitious over it."

Smiling faintly he quietly looks over the inn, he had been in worse dives than this in his time, he usually prefered to stay in places like this. People usually kept to themselves in shadier places like this which suited him fine. His smile fades as the talkative performer and the young lady entered the door. Sighing the loss of the once peaceful and semi quite atmosphere, he returns the mug to his lips and looks away. In a way he was slightly envious of the youths; he himself hadn't done too much with his life and he yearned for a place to settle down, maybe even start a family but that caused a man with a past like his to get sloppy and he could not afford that.

He pulled out one of his bullets and made it dance over his fingers, an unconcious habit of his, and silently prayed the bard didn't sit next to him with the naive girl. Questions were a dangerous thing, and to throw out there to strangers was a reckless move but he was sure the girl was genuinely curious and was only meant in harmless banter. He realized that he had then had not taken a good look at his surroundings and he chided himself for being careless. Without moving his body his scanned the room with his eyes to appraise the occupants.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+7)[17]
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-06-01 at 01:30 PM.
    Blarg...

27. - Top - End - #27

Human.... nothing but a bunch of short lived pretty dwarves... To the help, Tea, no ale.

Addressing Isaiah, Vash asks rhetorically I'll never understand it. Why would someone want to imbibe such an infectious poison that damages both the mind and the body? I prefer to keep my faculties in tact. As for the weather, it seems like anything but natural.

Spoiler
    Show

We know the weather is strange right? If only one ship still makes the run to a trade island, it would seem that its been going for a while and the story has reached the main land.

Edited to remove mention of missing kids
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-01 at 04:08 PM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

28. - Top - End - #28

A Aging Halfling man comes down from the staircase, "Hello all, i can get you rooms and meals for everyone, 5 GP a person. the weathers been like this for 3 weeks, rains almost all the time, the mist never lefts. it's really gotten to most of the folk in town, many have move away after the disappearances started." he takes money from the people getting rooms writes names down is a book far to large for himself, and goes to get everyone what they ask for.
    Call me Crazy

29. - Top - End - #29

Bishop barks out a gruff laugh and looks sidelong at Vash "That's easy to say when one lives for several centuries, as for dulling faculties, that only happens when someone lacks self control a quality I do happen to possess. As for reasons, there are plenty that one may look for. The biggest for me is that it helps blend in with the crowd and making a fuss about tea in a tavern is one way to get noticed in a place like this." He gives a wry smile "One can never be too careful in a new place, you might try to tone it down... If this is the cause of something is best to keep it under ones hat lest you draw attention from the wrong crowd or cause a panic just a friendly word of advise for a fellow member of the old guard."
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #30

Who's there left to panic.. most have run off already. As for drawing attention. That will happen sooner or later. If they seek me out it saves me some work.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft