New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Highland Archipelago: Terror in the Mist (IC)

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    Darkvision 60'
    [/table]

Pedivere extends his hand to Gabriel. Thank you, I am Pedivere.

He didn't introduce the others, instead he would let them introduce themselves. They were probably the kind of people who would mostly get upset if someone spoke on their behalf anyway, as sensitive as they were.

Please lead on Father.

Pedivere will then follow the priest to the other outpost.

On our way, could you please tell us more about the abductions, we have heard very little about them, only that they have been occuring for a couple weeks, normally at night and have been of children.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gabriel

"As far as I know, that's almost all anyone knew, however there have been strange howls coming from the forest to the east, and when people walk through the forest they say they always felt like something was watching them."
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-06-07 at 12:28 AM.
    Call me Crazy

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Another existence to analyze and understand. heh.

La Siréene does not shake hands, but instead bows towards the priest.

Greetings, Gabriel. My name is La Siréene Dorée. Pleased to make your acquaintance, as grave a time as this is for this town.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-06-07 at 12:44 AM.
    If A Person Am I is too long an handle, feel free to call me APMI.

4. - Top - End - #154

Vash'iar waited outside the church with Bishop. Both say quietly in their own thoughts. How did I come to be here? This guy isn't too bad, but that priest... f*** he's annoying. I doubt there will be much to shut him up either. His type aren't typically prone to accepting logic. Those type prefer to write it all off as faith."

Mocking Pedivere in his own thoughts. I smite thee in the holy name of close-mindedness. Die Knowledge, you unholy usurper.

F***ing idiot At this point Pedivere walks out from the church, moves to the side and coldly jabs a knife through the eye socket of the defensless creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    "I believe i shall come with you, incase you should find others in need of healing or prayer"
    Great... we have two now.
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bishop grimaces at the annoucnement of another clergyman accompanying them Oh joy, another one and from a death god no less! These holymen are like cockroaches... He pushes himself up from the wall he was leaning on and follows behind, keeping the two preachers in sight. He notices Vash's looks of displeasure as well and smiles slightly and softly whispers to his companion 'Come now smile, we can turn this into a game; everytime the say 'Church' or 'God' replace it with pecker, makes sermons much more interesting I promise.
    Blarg...

6. - Top - End - #156

Vash just shrugs his shoulders and quietly replies, I'm just going to try and ignore it. I want to get to the bottom of this, and it looks like he's coming along for the ride. We better just get used to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: It was noted that the undead was bound with rope, if thats the case, Vash would have kept the mantacles originally used to secure him. If it still had them on, he would take them from the corpse
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As the group travels the town, La Siréene notes Vash and Bishop exchanging whispered conversation. He decides to steer clear of that for now, and tries to start a conversation with Pedivere.

Pedivere, I apologize for my rudeness, but there is something about which I would prefer to be straightforward. Have you taken an issue of some kind with me? You have seemed... vary, in a way. Is there something about myself that you find untoward?

8. - Top - End - #158

Gabriel walks you down the main street most of the way, as you follow him, you notice the forest closing in on the horizon, it's tall dark trees seeming to hold more malice then a normal forest in the rain and mist.

Gabriel

"We are here, look lively, the place is strangely quiet."

The guard's post stands infront of you, it's smaller then the last post and only has 1 story.
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-06-07 at 06:07 PM.
    Call me Crazy

9. - Top - End - #159

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    Darkvision 60'
    [/table]

Pedivere stops walking momentarily and eyes the bard. He knows that this man is morally divergent to him, very much so. But, so far he has been nothing but helpful and friendly.

No, he says and then holds out his hand in a sign of friendship. You haven't done anything, and if I have appeared wary of you or have stood aside, it is merely because of my own doubts about this journey and where it will lead me. You have done nothing to offend me, and if I have given cause for you to feel uncomfortable in my presence, I do offer my most sincere regrets.

He then continues walking, this time next to the bard, happy to make idle conversation with him.

When Gabriel halts the group, and mentions that the place is more quiet than the norm, Pedivere moves forward. After the last outpost, and in the presence of the priest, the Paladin feels more comfortable in drawing blade in the confines of the city. He does so and soon has his large greataxe in hand.

Then with concentration, Pedivere scans the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil - checking the priest as well.

10. - Top - End - #160

Pedivere:
    Spoiler
    Show

Their doesn't seem to be any evil in the area, and the priest detects and neutral with no aura.
    Call me Crazy

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Makoa follows behind Gabriel. Not looking to strike up a conversation, he is a couple of strides back.

As the group approaches the guard post, Makoa feels a bit uneasy about his surroundings.

Trying to identify any potential threats, Makoa begins to investigate the area.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check - looking for tracks or evidence of a struggle
    (1d20+5)[24]

He also looks around the area making sure the group is not being watched.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perceptio check
    (1d20+5)[7]

My friends, it seems that we are not alone. Something is near, I can feel it.

Drawing his axe, Makoa moves to the side of the priest, ensuring that if a fight were to break out, he could be the first line of defense.

Gabriel, be careful. I don't know your past but I do not take you as a fighting man.

12. - Top - End - #162

Following the groups lead, Vash readies his sword and approaches in order to investigate. Well... lets see what we have here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+5)[20]
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bishop draws his gun and follows in behind Vash watching his back while moving silently. This was like the other watch post but something didnt feel right. Total silence always set Bishop on edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+7)[13]
    stealth (1d20+5)[19]
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #164

No one notices any strange tracks or signs of struggle.
    Gabriel

"I'm sure it's fine, and don't worry about me." Gabriel steps into the guard building without hesitating before anyone else "oh, my."
    Call me Crazy

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene hesitates for a moment, considering what Pedivere had said. He did not feel Pedivere had said anything substantial about the divergence between them, but Pedivere had chalked this down to his own doubts, which is probably correct. Would be nice to know what those doubts are, though. In any case, he has finally opened up, it seems. Good. La Siréene changes the subject, making a mental note to keep an eye out for hints later on, and merely focuses on exchanging pleasant but meaningless banter for now.

When they reach the outpost, La Siréene follows Pedivere's lead and fastens his buckler, draws his bow, draws an arrow from its quiver and pulls back his bowstring, readying himself to shoot at anything threatening the group.

"oh, my."

La Siréene tenses, realizes he does so, laughs to himself that something so trivial has spooked him, then calmly follows Gabriel into the guard building, still with his bow drawn and ready.

16. - Top - End - #166

As you enter the building a foul stench fills your nose, the walls are cover in blood, as you look around you find no bodies, creatures, equipment, or for that matter anything, the only thing left is the building it's self.

Gabriel

"Oh, wierd, not a thing left, they even took the tea, pity." He looks around the building once more before stepping outside the building for a smoke.
    Call me Crazy

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As La Siréene enters the guard house, the stench of blood and guts filling his nostrils, making it difficult to breathe, he gives a humorless smile to himself.

Well, that answers that inquiry. This guard house has indeed been hit.

La Siréene sheaths his bow and returns his arrow to its quiver, and starts looking around for clues as to what might have happened within the building, or anything that might have been left behind, also checking to see how old the blood is.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[15] Perception check.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-06-08 at 02:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    Darkvision 60'
    [/table]

Following La Siréene into the guard house, Pedivere hooks his axe back in place. This was more than wild, cruel creatures at work here. The foe that they found at the previous guard house was not responsible for this, at least not solely. This was too clinical, too deliberate. How too could multiple guard houses be hit and not have time or the ability to raise the alarm, any alarm.

This is the precursor to something much bigger, he said. Then he stood amazed as the priest of death wandered outside to smoke. He motioned to La Siréene and then nodded after Gabriel shrugging his shoulders and furrowing his brow.

Some power is going to move on this city. Maybe not immediately, but it must be soon. There is no other reason to strategically take out the guards in this manner. And this one has been done hours ago. We need to alert the whole city, and we need to alert it now.

He turned to all the others assembled.

Any ideas?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene notices Pedivere motioning him, and follows him outside, keeping quiet as Pedivere presents his view of the situation.

Alert what city? this town is down to about an eight of its usual population, with its main leader, the captain of the guard, out of the equation. Sure, this towns leadership is usually down to a combination of him, trade lords and assorted criminals, and we haven't seen much of either of the later, perhaps because the former needs a population, and the later aren't sure it’s safe to start looting.

La Siréene shakes his head quietly, and then continues.

Furthermore, due to the discrepancy between current population and intended population, efficiently communicating with or gathering together the entire population is going to be difficult. The weather and the widespread idea that one should stay home until the whole thing blows over does not help. Not to mention that there are unknown horrors and people-snatchers about, that almost justify that sentiment. This, my friend, is the rather desperate situation, although I might have missed something. And now you want to unite this, for lack of a better word, “town”, into something close to capable of defending itself?

La Siréene gives a short, slightly hysteric laugh, quiets down a bit, and then gives a smile.

Sure, I'm in. Should be fun. As to how to complete this task, I'd like to find out if this town has some kind of alarm or signal that is supposed to serve this purpose. I might be able to make an inferior replication, if it is something sound based. Otherwise, I am not sure how we would go about contacting the entire population over such a large area.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-06-08 at 10:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Visibly relaxing, Makoa returns his axe to his belt.

A town is not worth defending if it cannot defend itself. I will help if the group sees good reason for it but nothing holds me to this town other than bad luck.

Makoa walks through the house. Seeing that nothing is left just as Gabriel says, Makoa walks back to the group.

What of the town mayor or leader? Can we not speak with him?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene turns to Makoa.

This town does not have what you would call a leader. It is under archipelago law, but the leadership is split between the unconscious captain of the guard, trade lords, crime lords and sometimes pirates. There is no true united leadership to speak of.

22. - Top - End - #172

The towns abandonment is irrelevent in the long run. Whatever is going on here could be growing and spreading. The only thing new to the equation as of late is us. Since what ever is left of the town is incapable of governing itself, I elect that we assume authority and establish marshall law.

From what I've seen, there can't be but at most 200 people remaining. I would suggest we begin rounding them up immediantly at the largest building, likely the church. We can collect up the arms and armor from around the area and work with the citizens to setup a watch rotation. While under the protection of Gabriel, they will have the safety of numbers, we can then explore for food to feed them and answers to this mystery.

If the ship is still docked, I would recommend it set to sea with as many as it can carry. Women and children obviously going first. They shouldn't set for another port though. Not until we rule out any contagions.
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-08 at 11:52 AM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

23. - Top - End - #173

Gabriel walks closer and looks around with a grim look on his face.

Gabriel

"Sorry to say but the ship isn't an option, Greenstar leaves quickly after getting his pay and unloading his ship. And from what i can tell, most folks won't except random strangers as leaders."
    Call me Crazy

24. - Top - End - #174

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    Darkvision 60'
    [/table]

Vash is right the Paladin states. We need to try and get the citizens together, they can be defended better that way.

There is no reason
    he continues, this time to the cleric, that they need to take us as leaders. Indeed, in this time of tribulation they would be better served with their normal leaders. We will merely assist as we can.

25. - Top - End - #175

I'm not saying we impose ourselves upon them. I'm saying that SOMEONE needs to take control of the situation and that we being new are clearly not conspirators in this epidemic.

If someone wants to die alone in their home its on them, but the streets need to be patrolled and secured.

Gab, how many can your church take in? Is there a more suitable location anywhere?

We should check the armories and shops for supplies. The makeshift guard will need equipment. The other guardhouse has some armor and swords in the wall lockers. Whoever goes to setup the shelter should pick it up on their way back.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

26. - Top - End - #176

Gabriel

"The church can take in the whole town, but instead of revealing an epidemic, as you call it, wouldn't it be better not to tell the public, cause an up roar, and instead take care of it quietly?"
    Call me Crazy

27. - Top - End - #177

Priest are you daft! This place is a ghost town. Everyone has fled, children are missing, and the guard has been savagely murdered. Please explain to me how they don't know there is a problem already?
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-08 at 11:03 PM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

La Siréene considers quietly for a moment while Vashiar argues with Gabriel. Then, in his calm and friendly voice voice, he speaks up.

First, I want to say that I am not arguing here, but merely discussion options. That said, here is my take on the situation.

The majority of the populace may not actually know about an epidemic, Vashiar. The general attitude has seemed to be to either flee or barricade and fortify one's household and stay there. From the rumors we heard beforehand, we knew about the abductions of children at night, but little else. This sparse knowledge might support the idea of an outside attack.

We might be able to gather the town together by spreading the news of the attack by a dark, unknown entity that has decimated the watch guard.

As for our our plan of action? I agree with Vashiar. Gather people together and make sure that they are organized into a defensive force that can keep the streets relatively safe. Good plan.
    Last edited by APersonAmI; 2012-06-09 at 01:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

{table=head]
    Pedivere
    |
    HP
    |
    AC
    |
    TAC
    |
    FAC
    |
    PER
    |Effects
    |
    12/12
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +1
    |
    Darkvision 60'
    [/table]

Pedivere shakes his head slowly from side to side. Panic and fear are enemies, it is true. But surely they are lesser enemies than creatures capable and willing to slaughter the innocent.

The Paladin addresses Gabriel. My companion may be bullish and lack tact, but his reasoning is sound. On the one hand we alert the people, draw them together so that they can be defended. We have panic, fear and possibly an outbreak of hysteria. The chances of saving them however increase.

If we, as you would prefer try to handle this carefully and quietly, then the chance of more deaths occurring whilst we try to establish what and where the enemy is will increase dramatically. I understand that your deity is one of death, and that is a natural occurrence in life, but surely you must also try to protect your people from meeting him in an untimely fashion? Women and children are at risk, those that cannot possibly defend themselves. Surely this would mandate that we risk hysteria to save their lives?

Spoiler
    Show
    Pedivere will try to encourage him - Diplomacy (1d20+10)[23]
    Pedivere will also be trying to use theological debate if required to win him over - Knowledge: Religion (1d20+4)[16]
    Pedivere will also try to determine if something is awry with him - Sense Motive (1d20+5)[22]
    There, that is the sum total of my skills with skill points.

30. - Top - End - #180

Gabriel

"It's true their may be more deaths, but what if you rousing the people to notice the danger does more harm then good, as you said. Hysteria may kick in, which may lead to looting, turning on each other, and from my experience in this port, many still here are just waiting for a weak moment of the others to take control, and we still do not know the enemy, it's motives or what it is. for all we know, it may take that moment of chaos to kill us all."

Pedivere:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing seems off about the priest, he's just poking holes in your plan, and appears uncaring as to the total outcome.
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-06-09 at 03:34 AM.
    Call me Crazy