New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Ok, so, I just had the dumbest game of my life with Groz_nez. We're duoing with Shermans (mostly to get to E8 and E2) in a Tier 7 game on Mountain Pass.

Here's the split:
    Spoiler
    Show

So us M4s & Pz III/IV vs. E8 and Tiger; not in our favor but we have little choice but to give it a go. They push through after our top tier shows themselves; we manage to take out the E8 through focused fire and I can land a shot on the Tiger before I die:
    Spoiler
    Show

Groz_nez and the Pz III/IV then proceed to wail on the Tiger as its rear armor is turned on them; after it engages them, Groz_nez begins the circle of death while Pz III/IV lands free shots and our KV-3 joins in from the bridge to land one shot and the Tiger is summarily defeated:
    Spoiler
    Show

We're obviously feeling pretty good about this, having killed two higher tier tanks with the help of one Pz III/IV and one shot from the KV-3. We push in and Groz_nez engages enemy KV-2 behind the rock but is barely defeated:
    Spoiler
    Show

A bit before enemy arty has apparently run out of ammo and is scouting, moving towards our base:
    Spoiler
    Show

Soon enough, it's the only tank left from their team. We have our own Priest in our base and an M5 in the mountain alley.
    Spoiler
    Show

M5 keeps going towards the enemy base to cap. Our Priest doesn't move. Priest could ram the SU for the win if he's out of ammo; just need the cap interrupted. M5 could've made it to our base and back many times if he wanted to. Instead, neither does anything for the whole duration of the cap and the ammoless SU-5 finishes cap in our base with Priest next to it and M5 hurrying to the enemy base instead. Sometimes...I just don't understand WoT players.

It's like people intentionally try to lose the game (if you're wondering all the pings, they were a consequence of the M5 apparently not talking English and accelerating towards the enemy base). Groz_nez could've actually won us the game if he didn't engage the KV-2 but at that time he had no idea our team would refuse to stop the SU-5 from capping and the KV-2 presented a legitimate threat to our win combat capability-wise. This is just...ugh. Why do people stubbornly refuse to win?!
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-06-14 at 10:32 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

I'm currently in the AMX 12t and I don't have a problem with it outside of it being classified as a scout and being a bit too sluggish to fill the role.

Find something scary to hang around, preferably in a town so you can flank and pop back into cover easily. When the big scary thing engages something else big and scary, pull around the back side of the enemy and unload your drum into his vulnerable backside. He doesn't dare take his attention away from your big, scary friend and if he does, your ally generally notices the turret isn't facing him anymore and comes around the corner to gain his attention back.

Either empty your drum or fall back into cover when the turret is coming for you - Rinse and repeat.

I have a couple tier sevens and a tier eight, and the odd thing is I've probably killed more Type 59s in my AMX 12t than in any of the others based simply on the fact that they see a light tank instead of something that needs to be immediately dealt with.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    I'm currently in the AMX 12t and I don't have a problem with it outside of it being classified as a scout and being a bit too sluggish to fill the role.

Find something scary to hang around, preferably in a town so you can flank and pop back into cover easily. When the big scary thing engages something else big and scary, pull around the back side of the enemy and unload your drum into his vulnerable backside. He doesn't dare take his attention away from your big, scary friend and if he does, your ally generally notices the turret isn't facing him anymore and comes around the corner to gain his attention back.

Either empty your drum or fall back into cover when the turret is coming for you - Rinse and repeat.

I have a couple tier sevens and a tier eight, and the odd thing is I've probably killed more Type 59s in my AMX 12t than in any of the others based simply on the fact that they see a light tank instead of something that needs to be immediately dealt with.
    Funny. I treat AMX 12ts as meds, just the same I treat Chaffees. Light tank, schmight tank, those things are not-so-mobile high firepower vehicles and need to be dealt with immediately. T-50-2 too TBH though it's so mobile dealing with it is a royal pain.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Funny. I treat AMX 12ts as meds, just the same I treat Chaffees. Light tank, schmight tank, those things are not-so-mobile high firepower vehicles and need to be dealt with immediately. T-50-2 too TBH though it's so mobile dealing with it is a royal pain.
    This from me too.

As far as I am concerned... enemy French tanks with autoloaders, are number one priority, and should be so for everyone. The amount of damage they can do in such a short space of time, means they should be taken out as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I have to say I've learned the hard way about the power of autoloader of french tanks especially with my IS. Many times I thought, oh it's just AMX 12t nothing to worry about. Only to become burning carcass little later. Also learned that about heavy AMX tanks. Never reload after firing at them, where they can shoot you.

Has anybody else noticed, that MM seems to hate KV-3. I mean it's like in 70% of the matches me and Eldariel are platooning with our KV-3s. We seem to be paired against enemy tier 8 heavy or TD. Today we were paired against Ferdinand and T34 in one match. Other match we were against T34 and Type 59. It's same story almost every day, unless we get lucky and are top tiers ourselves.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps biggest fault of the auto-loader tanks is the bugged aggro-mechanic in WoT. French generate automatically 300% threat compared to their respective counterparts.

Has anybody else noticed, that MM seems to hate KV-3. I mean it's like in 70% of the matches me and Eldariel are platooning with our KV-3s. We seem to be paired against enemy tier 8 heavy or TD. Today we were paired against Ferdinand and T34 in one match. Other match we were against T34 and Type 59. It's same story almost every day, unless we get lucky and are top tiers ourselves.
    IIRC, the match makes treats heavy tanks as more valuable then medium and tank destroyers of the same tier, meaning that heavy tanks are often weighed against medium or heavy above their tier. This has led to heavy tanks having globally worse win rates as mediums and td's of the same tiers, while mediums of certain tiers all have above 50% win rate.

Source for the win rates in EU.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Found this in someones signature on the WoT Forums

In MMO terms, the E-75 is a vanilla warrior with shield, the ST-1 uses two handed weapons and full armor, the M103 is that ******* who uses the warrior class for the defensive bonuses and then uses crossbows, the IS-8 is the rogue that suddenly thought "warrior sounds cool, I might try that", and the VK4502B is the starting character with a tower shield. The AMX50-120 is actually a mage and simply wandered into the wrong raid group.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Been having a terrible time with my T-50-2 recently. Gone through 3-4 losing matches in a row despite however well I did. The last one stood out though.

In that big desert map with the river splitting it in two. No artillery, tier 9 match. Tigers, panthers, KV-5s and more, oh my.
    A couple of other scouts were bitching about what they were there for, and I kind of agreed. All we could do was hang around then die for the heavies to get an extra shot in, right?

My scout is outfitted for passive scouting (which I'm terrible at, honestly), so I go up to the outcropping, zoom in at the tanks and hope they're not going to see me. Then I see them all pointing my way.

Noooooope is what I type out as I zip away, 5-6 shots crashing down around me. Meanwhile my team is getting shot to pieces, so I go down the other side, and scout those lot out too. Come across an IS inside a building and take some potshots before running off - avoiding the incoming fire like it was a hailstorm.

Feeling kind of rubbish, said to everyone "I've scouted them all... can I go home now?"

A Tiger P replied "you've got to kill us not scout us"

And lo and behold, there was a KV-5 on 6% health trying to make it into our base. And just like that and a bit of circling and pinging a lot I manage to take it down without damage. "Ok, who else do I have to kill to go home?"

It got a good laugh out of everyone. The tiger that said that eventually killed me but not after I took out a bit of his health too - mainly because the other T-50-2 damaged my tracks when I rammed him to death. But it was pretty good fun, and a profitable round.

And just managing to kill a (very badly damaged) KV-5 with a T-50-2 was totally worth it.

Spoiler
    Show

Tiger P was at about 50 when I engaged it.
    *waves hand* "There are no plotholes here. This isn't the comic you are looking for..."
    Possibility of Interminable Reciprocity! For that Touhou Roleplaying game you always wanted to join, but never managed to!

9. - Top - End - #189

I have been having a terrible time in my Lowe, so much so I posted on the WoT forums.

Spoiler
    Show
    drive currently a Lowe with a set of equipment and skills sets on the crew that I consider to be pretty ok however I am really starting to get annoyed at disappearing or invisible tanks up to distances that I find more then disturbing.

Is there a reason that I cannot spot enemies at quite often extremely close ranges, sometimes as close as 80 meters while standing still, when I have 402 meters view range standard, coated optics installed and both Recon and Situational Awareness skills at 79%?

I am not talking TD with camou netting or such but sometimes actually quite sizeable vehicles like an IS3 or last game an VK4502 B (and those are not exactly known for stealth unlike the IS3...).

Now I understand that my Lowe is easier to spot then pretty much anything out there but...if I am sitting still and they are moving why would I not not be able to spot a tank but I can SPOT the trees being driven over by that tank?

With 100% crew skill, coated optics, Recon 79% and Situational Awareness 79% I would expect to be able to spot things further out except sofar this seems not to be the case.
    On none of the longer range maps does it seem to make any difference and on the maps with tree or bushes a single bush partially obscuring an IS3 is sufficient for it to remain invisible to me unless it gets quite close.

On Prohkorovka in my last game a VK4502 B on the left hand side (map is set up with the buildings on opposing side, top left) , driving through the tree line closer to the center of the map is effectively invisible untill it fires to me while I am sitting in a series of bushes just off the road, closer to the base cap.
    Any movement from my Lowe reveals me to anyone up to 200 meters away (enemy passed center of the map) while I still cannot see anything untill the enemy fires.
    Regardless of any movement on their part.

That VK4502 B has the same spotting range on his turret as my Lowe, even with coated optics and the skills I should not be having a lower spotting distance then them.
    Yet it seems I do.

When I watch other Lowe in action I have noticed that quite often the Lowe tanks will loose sight of enemies sitting in the middle of a cap in the open when the Lowe is just about 200 meters away.
    And when firing (which means they can still see the Lowe which is a bit more understandable given the size of a Lowe) they reappear again.

Perhaps there is an issue with the Lowe where the optics and spotting mechanism is not working as written but if so I would like to know before hand what I am getting myself into.
    Saying that my Lowe has 402 spotting distance, plus 10% for coated optics (up to a maximum of 500 meters), plus a un-disclosed increase for both Recon and Situational Awareness but where in practice I can not reliably spot something over 200 meters without someone spotting it for me is a bit unfair.

I am not happy...

10. - Top - End - #190

What precisely am I missing in the M4 Sherman? Inaccurate gun with mediocre penetration and mediocre DPM, sluggish movement, poor armor... I don't see a single reason to play this tank over any of PzIV, T-34, KV-1 or AMX12t (well, except for AMX12t's matchmaking; it's still nominally a tier 5 tank tho) other than opening up the E8 and the Tier 7+ awesome.

It seems to me like all the American tanks under Tier 7 with the exception of M2 MT, E8 & Chaffee are just bad for their tier (talking about actual tanks only; don't have experience with the TDs but they've put up some rather convincing displays in games I've played). E2, Sherman, M3 Lee, T1 Heavy, M6, M7, ugh...
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-06-16 at 03:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

If you think the M7 a bad tank, you have likely fallen into the common trap of thinking the biggest gun = the best gun. It doesn't. If you drive the M7 and aren't using the six-pounder, you're doing it wrong. It's not a medium; it's a cleverly disguised light tank and you should drive like it.

I've never played the M4 Sherman or the E2 simply because I couldn't stand the Lee for one match longer than it took to unlock the T1 Heavy, but the T1 and M6 have a similar issue; they're actually particularly large medium tanks and should be driven like it. My personal kill record is actually in the M6. No, they don't play like the German and Soviet tier equivalents, but that dictates a different play style, not an automatic rejection of the tanks as bad.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

12. - Top - End - #192

OldWizardGuy

Sherman series has best gun depression in the game, -12 degrees, while other American tanks have -10 degrees tops. You can play them either as medicore mediums or good hill fighters. Shermans have really good dpms', as do M7 and M3. Shermans with 105 howitzer can flank Pz IVs and one shot them. T34s are harder as they are faster, but if you manage, you can destroy them as well.

I haven't played T1H recently, but a friend of mine has 62% winrate with it. It's probably much better now when it doesn't get rolf stomped by KV's.

M6 is statistically the worst tier 6 heavy, and I can't say I did well with it or liked it, but it does have one advantage; it's 960hp engine. It can climb hills, accelerates well and has decent top speed. In this manner it reminds me of VK45A, which occupies similar "medium-heavy tank"-spot in tier 8.

E2 is a monster, I have similar stats with it as I have for Lorraine. It's the hull down tank in low tiers, not only it has good armor and gun depression, it's frontal armor can be exposed to a degree because it's sloped (and can achieve increased artificial slope when it is in hulldown behind a hill), and turret is also small target for tanks who can penetrate it.

Edit:
    I've never played the M4 Sherman or the E2 simply because I couldn't stand the Lee for one match longer than it took to unlock the T1 Heavy, but the T1 and M6 have a similar issue; they're actually particularly large medium tanks and should be driven like it. My personal kill record is actually in the M6.
    My personal kill record is actually in Lee
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-06-17 at 02:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just exchanged Clutch Braking on my T-50 and AMX-13-75 to Off Road Driving with drop perks/skills.

It's an amazing difference at about 75% each. I've lost a good chunk of experience (about 2% each) but the sheer extra manuverability off road driving gives not just on turning but acceleration too is so much better than clutch braking.
    *waves hand* "There are no plotholes here. This isn't the comic you are looking for..."
    Possibility of Interminable Reciprocity! For that Touhou Roleplaying game you always wanted to join, but never managed to!

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    If you think the M7 a bad tank, you have likely fallen into the common trap of thinking the biggest gun = the best gun. It doesn't. If you drive the M7 and aren't using the six-pounder, you're doing it wrong. It's not a medium; it's a cleverly disguised light tank and you should drive like it.
    But how much does it really offer over T-34? To me it seems like a T-34 with worse accuracy, DPM & penetration. T-34 shoots better on the move, and does more damage more reliably in the same timeframe. Depression doesn't really seem like a huge deal for flanking tanks...?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I've never played the M4 Sherman or the E2 simply because I couldn't stand the Lee for one match longer than it took to unlock the T1 Heavy, but the T1 and M6 have a similar issue; they're actually particularly large medium tanks and should be driven like it. My personal kill record is actually in the M6. No, they don't play like the German and Soviet tier equivalents, but that dictates a different play style, not an automatic rejection of the tanks as bad.
    Well yeah, the thing is I don't really understand how to utilize their supposed strengths. Like, I understand that gun depression is great for hulldowning since there are tons of places in maps where good gun depression allows you to maintain hulldown while you otherwise couldn't; but where's the utility if you don't have good turret armor?

'cause yeah, I see the point of making yourself a smaller target and that's all fine but in the end, enemies will hit you if you're visible and if you don't have the armor to bounce those shots off it just seems like that's not nearly as valuable as 0.7 accuracy or 20 penetration or whatever numbers you give up compared to the comparable tanks of the other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Sherman series has best gun depression in the game, -12 degrees, while other American tanks have -10 degrees tops. You can play them either as medicore mediums or good hill fighters. Shermans have really good dpms', as do M7 and M3. Shermans with 105 howitzer can flank Pz IVs and one shot them. T34s are harder as they are faster, but if you manage, you can destroy them as well.
    Would you actually suggest equipping the Howitzer over the M1A1? 'cause most of my problems with Sherman derive from the fact that M1A1 feels like a good-for-nothing no-penetration average-DPM (like, loses handily to ZiS-4 for instance) no-accuracy (uuugh, med with over 0.4 accuracy?) meh-penetration (10 worse than PzIV's) gun.

So basically, take the Howitzer, find a hill, climb it, kill anything fast occupying it and start derping things? Suppose that could work.

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    I haven't played T1H recently, but a friend of mine has 62% winrate with it. It's probably much better now when it doesn't get rolf stomped by KV's.

M6 is statistically the worst tier 6 heavy, and I can't say I did well with it or liked it, but it does have one advantage; it's 960hp engine. It can climb hills, accelerates well and has decent top speed. In this manner it reminds me of VK45A, which occupies similar "medium-heavy tank"-spot in tier 8.

E2 is a monster, I have similar stats with it as I have for Lorraine. It's the hull down tank in low tiers, not only it has good armor and gun depression, it's frontal armor can be exposed to a degree because it's sloped (and can achieve increased artificial slope when it is in hulldown behind a hill), and turret is also small target for tanks who can penetrate it.
    Hm, alright. My biggest problem with E2 as a hulldown tank is that its penetration seems really low for anything but flanking. Measly 128mm on tier 6 doesn't seem like it'll penetrate much stuff reliably from the front. And yet, if you hulldown you're not usually flanking. But if you say it works, well, gotta give it a go.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-06-17 at 08:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

A question - does hulldown in the game have the same meaning as hulldown in actual armoured warfare?

In other news, after watching me play the game for a couple weeks, my wife has also started playing. She was a bit dubious at the play style at first, but her little cheers whenever she hits someone (not to mention the few times she gets a kill) may indicate she's hooked.

This leads me on to a question on platooning though - how does the match making work with it? I platooned with her tier 2 tank with my lowest tier tank (a tier 3 B-7) and we got thrown into a tier 7 capped game, with multiple heavies on both sides.
    Needless to say, she got massacred and wasn't very impressed, so for the sake of my continued health and well being of my marriage, when would be a good point for her to start platooning? When she has an equal tier tank?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, hull-down in game means the same as in real tank warfare.

And with platooning, the matchmaker will base its decision based only on the highest classified tank (which has some exceptions to strict tiering). So since a BT-7 is eligible for tier-7 capped matches, that's what happened in that case.

So if you're at the same tier, you should generally be good unless you are driving one of the exception tanks. The most common being SPGs, which can go up a tier or 2 more than usual. So she'd really be unhappy if you platooned your M37 with her, and she found herself up against Lowes, KV-5s, and Type-59s.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

17. - Top - End - #197

OldWizardGuy

Well yeah, the thing is I don't really understand how to utilize their supposed strengths. Like, I understand that gun depression is great for hulldowning since there are tons of places in maps where good gun depression allows you to maintain hulldown while you otherwise couldn't; but where's the utility if you don't have good turret armor?

'cause yeah, I see the point of making yourself a smaller target and that's all fine but in the end, enemies will hit you if you're visible and if you don't have the armor to bounce those shots off it just seems like that's not nearly as valuable as 0.7 accuracy or 20 penetration or whatever numbers you give up compared to the comparable tanks of the other countries.
    Have you driven tanks with really bad gun elevation/depression, like the french with oscillating turret? It's possible that when you're fighting them on hilly terrain they cannot fire back at all.

When hull downing with allies nearby, I find it best to use 3rd person to see when your enemies aren't looking at your exact direction, move up, switch to 1st person to fire a shot, and then pull back when they start aiming. When alone, I try to make my enemy to waste shot by moving quickly up and then pulling back.

Hm, alright. My biggest problem with E2 as a hulldown tank is that its penetration seems really low for anything but flanking. Measly 128mm on tier 6 doesn't seem like it'll penetrate much stuff reliably from the front. And yet, if you hulldown you're not usually flanking. But if you say it works, well, gotta give it a go.
    Commander cupolas are the first thing hull downed tanks see from the enemy, and they are usually weakly armored.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni
    Needless to say, she got massacred and wasn't very impressed, so for the sake of my continued health and well being of my marriage, when would be a good point for her to start platooning? When she has an equal tier tank?
    You should play with tanks of the same tier, as match making in platoon uses the highest tank. Arty+Scout platoons are nice too, as arties have higher match making.

On your first question, if hull down in armored warfare means that most of the tank is hidden behind a hill or other cover and turret is exposed so that the tank can still fire, then yes.

Edit: scoute'd!
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-06-18 at 05:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    So she'd really be unhappy if you platooned your M37 with her, and she found herself up against Lowes, KV-5s, and Type-59s.
    Given my best tank is a SU-85B, those tanks would make me rather unhappy too.

Thanks to both of you for the matchmaking information. Now all I have to do is convince her that platooning with me isn't instant death at the hands of large calibre cannnons...
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-06-18 at 06:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Given my best tank is a SU-85B, those tanks would make me rather unhappy too.

Thanks to both of you for the matchmaking information. Now all I have to do is convince her that platooning with me isn't instant death at the hands of large calibre cannnons...
    Try showing her the matchmaking mechanics and picking accordingly Oh, and don't be afraid to keep few low tier tanks around. I still occasionally play my MS-1 for instance, and it's good for duoing with friends who don't own anything higher than tier 1-2.

20. - Top - End - #200

A question - does hulldown in the game have the same meaning as hulldown in actual armoured warfare?

In other news, after watching me play the game for a couple weeks, my wife has also started playing. She was a bit dubious at the play style at first, but her little cheers whenever she hits someone (not to mention the few times she gets a kill) may indicate she's hooked.

This leads me on to a question on platooning though - how does the match making work with it? I platooned with her tier 2 tank with my lowest tier tank (a tier 3 B-7) and we got thrown into a tier 7 capped game, with multiple heavies on both sides.
    Try a Marder II they never see more than T5 unless dragged up and are monstrous in pairs or if you are gold happy then something MM fixed like a T14 or Churchill (1/2 price atm)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Try showing her the matchmaking mechanics and picking accordingly Oh, and don't be afraid to keep few low tier tanks around. I still occasionally play my MS-1 for instance, and it's good for duoing with friends who don't own anything higher than tier 1-2.
    It's amazing how quickly you start needing additional garage slots, isn't it?

I'll attempt using the reasoned argument with visual aids approach in trying to convince her. If you don't hear from me for a couple days, it's because things have gone wrong and I'm still in hiding...

22. - Top - End - #202

Last few days have been amazingly poor.

50 games, 38 losses and 12 wins.

Average xp 450...

Average kills per game...2

This is with half tier 8 and half tier 5 tanks being used :(.

I just keep getting into games where I seem to be fighting alone with one guy against 5 or 6 people, getting slaughtered and then the rest of my team dies to 3 guys...

EDIT:

And again, 15 4 loss, me and one guy kill 4...(only one by me but I reduced 2 of the other guys kills to sub 50%) and rest of team...ZERO.
    Last edited by Deadmeat.GW; 2012-06-18 at 08:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

It's amazing how quickly you start needing additional garage slots, isn't it?
    Aye, one of those things that really annoys me in the game (well, aside from premium tanks, premium ammo, premium consumables, matchmaking bullcrap, half of the maps and...ok, yeah, there's a lot of things that annoy me in this game) is how you need like a billion garage slots to actually play with friends of various tiers, and you start with 5 and even with all the free ones you get you have to buy a billion more.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat.GW View Post
    Last few days have been amazingly poor.

50 games, 38 losses and 12 wins.

Average xp 450...

Average kills per game...2

This is with half tier 8 and half tier 5 tanks being used :(.

I just keep getting into games where I seem to be fighting alone with one guy against 5 or 6 people, getting slaughtered and then the rest of my team dies to 3 guys...

EDIT:

And again, 15 4 loss, me and one guy kill 4...(only one by me but I reduced 2 of the other guys kills to sub 50%) and rest of team...ZERO.
    Sigh... I had one of those streaks. That's when I nuked my KV-2 into 35% and Hummel, T-34-85, T-150 and KV-3 under 50%. It lasted for about a week. I just dunno; sometimes it seems like the matchmaking decides it's time for you to enter Planet Hell.

24. - Top - End - #204

The protection that being a light offers remains astounding, a lot of people still not figuring out they can be a threat and assuming they're just going to try and zoom past to get to arty.

Large engagement of heavies, they're focused entirely on each other. Enemy sees a light icon pop up on their minimap and just straight up assume that I'm going to try and sneak past to get to their artillery. "I'm not taking my sights off of that terrifying Tiger II in front of me, I'll just hope the TDs can take care of it on its approach and it doesn't get arty!"
    SURPRISE, I'M AN AMX 17-75, FRESH OUT OF THE BOX MR. LOWE!!! BLAM-BLAM-BLAM, BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-DEAD!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Escape, reload, shoot some other poor sucker in the arse.

I hope they never collectively figure it out and instinctively learn to fear lights as arty does.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, its sort of a screwed either way situation. Yes, the light can cause some damage, especially when it gets behind, but the heavy in front is going to cause a lot too. At least you're almost guaranteed to hit the heavy. You could spend what is left of your life trying to track a light down and never manage to hit it, especially if its going to require 2-3 hits. And generally to track a light with a heavy you have to move your hull and turret together, and exposing your side or rear to the heavy you were engaged with is going to kill you faster then the light is going to.

Personally though I haven't seen that happen though. I see a lot of people aiming for me first in a light (or the less powerful mediums) instead of aiming for the heavies.

26. - Top - End - #206

Light = Easy kill to many people and thus its targeted (i have done it on occasion). also if its dead or disabled here then its not off bothering the Arty or TDs

I recall a early game on my KV-4 where there was a M5 zooming about and i was ignoring it as the T34 was more of a pressing matter up until i backed around the corner and got a kill... the M5 apparently was behind me and on low health.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

My experience driving lights have been closer to Erloas' and Leon's - too many people want that kill counter next to their name, so they target you over the bigger threats.

28. - Top - End - #208

Does anybody know any spreadsheet or program or something that calculates your actual tank stats post-normalization patch? Only ones I've found predate that and while I can do the math by hand, that's pretty damn slow for every crew level, equipment combination and tank.

29. - Top - End - #209

OldWizardGuy

My experience driving lights have been closer to Erloas' and Leon's - too many people want that kill counter next to their name, so they target you over the bigger threats.
    Killing lights is sound tactic as they are squishy, and when they get trough friendly lines they can kill arty and even td's with ease. Also in higher tier games, side losing their arties to scouting in the first minute is pretty much defeated.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Personally though I haven't seen that happen though. I see a lot of people aiming for me first in a light (or the less powerful mediums) instead of aiming for the heavies.
    To run a tank-killer light, you need two things:

1: only one enemy (preferably a heavy)
    2: Either: A big friend (optional), or,
    3: room to maneuver.

If you've got two enemies, at least one will shoot at you. If you stop you will get tracked and die. This is perfectly reasonable behaviour.

If you've not got room to manuever and you're on your own, you'll not be able to evade the turret traverse forever. If you've got either room to circle OR a friend, then you can chip away or your friend can blast them.

That's the only "safe" way of killing enemy heavies/mediums as a light. Going up against even a couple of tanks is suicide.

To FIND individual tanks: Either scout ahead and fall back if there's more than one, or wait until the enemy are engaged then go through their lines and pick off targets of opportunity, or wait until one of the engagements has worn down the other side to two or three tanks then go in from the side.

And make sure you're moving at top speeds when you finally get into view so they don't hit you while trundling down towards them.