New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Burned free XP on the M4 at long last. I had most of the modules researched from the Easy 8 and later mediums, so I equipped it up with everything except the second turret, stuck the 105mm derp on it, and proceeded to rack up a winning streak. Should have done this sooner. My very first game out in it tallied three kills (Reaper 3), two heavy damage on tanks bigger than me, and Mastery Level II.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-07-28 at 08:04 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The top gun is amazing and ZiS-4 is very strong too. Play it as a sniper. It has no armor or HP to speak off but if you let others scout and use your mobility to get into position and pick people off (or flank them), it can be very strong indeed. Remember that just because you're fast doesn't mean you go first. Indeed, it's generally very much the opposite; fast tanks should follow the slow bruisers that take hits and start flanking and circling and sniping from the back while the bruisers trade blows.
    Now that I actually got the top tier gun for it, the T-28 is a bit more bearable, but I still consider playing it a devious form of torture.

On a different note, I got myself a Panther, and as a result am very broke. So I decided to jump into my trusty PzIV and farm for a bit. Got Sand River Standard for the first time in ages, and then this happened.

Spoiler
    Show

Basically, at countdown one guy suggests to do a rush, so the entire team piles out the south ramp and races across the desert like it's that one tank mission from Call of Duty II. Playing base defense is an afker (useless), a T-34 (dies, but meatshields for long enough to prevent me getting flanked) and yours truly (awesome).

Long story short, 120mm turret armor on a T5 medium is insane.

And as a final insult to those lemmings, I get the killing shot on the KV-1 from across half the map right before they finish capping.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2012-07-29 at 01:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Long story short, 120mm turret armor on a T5 medium is insane.
    Yes it is, coupled with a very accurate high RoF gun that does decent damage with avg pen
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #334

RogueGuy

So, I tried installing the client on my new desktop, and after 2 days of downloading and patching, I got a "failed to launch because of d3dx9_43.dll or something like that. Does anyone know what the heck that means and what I can do to rectify the situation short of reinstalling like the stupid thing suggested?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    So, I tried installing the client on my new desktop, and after 2 days of downloading and patching, I got a "failed to launch because of d3dx9_43.dll or something like that. Does anyone know what the heck that means and what I can do to rectify the situation short of reinstalling like the stupid thing suggested?
    A very common error with almost ANY game. Do NOT just download the dll file. Go reinstall the latest version of Microsoft DirectX.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...sing-error.htm
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Now that I actually got the top tier gun for it, the T-28 is a bit more bearable, but I still consider playing it a devious form of torture.
    Funny. It's the only Tier 4 tank not intended for scouting I find even remotely playable. PzIII has no gun, AMX 40 lolyeahno, B1's gun is even worse and it has a massive weak spot in the front armor, M3 Lee...you're kidding me, right? If I wanted to play a tier 4 TD I'd play SU-85B or Hetzer, both of which have much lower profile, superior camo, superior mobility, superior armor and superior firepower. So in my books, it's the best of a terrible bunch.

M5 Stuart, Leopard & T-50 are all fine (A-20 is probably too but I never got to play it properly; Pz38na is just kinda subpar), but they have a totally different matchmaking so I don't feel they're comparable. And the TDs are of course incomparably powerful on this tier since the battle tanks are so useless but that's a different story; I'm talking about tanks here.

T-28 is the only one with a gun (multiple good options in fact) and it's also the fastest of the bunch by a mile so it has a set of traits that's useful for a role.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-07-30 at 03:01 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #337

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    PzIII has no gun
    I actually had quite a bit of fun with the PzIII. It's basically a scout in a medium costume, and has enough firepower to pull off being either a fast sniper or a brawler.

But yeah, I'll concede that the entire tier 4 is pretty much terribad (as far as tanks go, at least). I gave up on the B1 and the AMX 40, and I'm dreading the day when I finally try and advance up the American tree.

8. - Top - End - #338

Made a M36 rage last night - Killed it while it was in a almost unreachable location on mountain pass with my SU-26 (90% of the reticule was up the top of the mountain but 3 shots in a row made it down and into the top of his tank)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Made a M36 rage last night - Killed it while it was in a almost unreachable location on mountain pass with my SU-26 (90% of the reticule was up the top of the mountain but 3 shots in a row made it down and into the top of his tank)
    Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the tradeoff for the Russian SPGs having shorter range is that they have a higher arc that can drop down on targets who think they are hiding safely.
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2012-07-31 at 04:25 PM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the tradeoff for the Russian SPGs having shorter range is that they have a higher arc that can crop down on targets who think they are hiding safely.
    It's stupid how like half of the important values for SPGs aren't shown anywhere. It's like, range, firing arc, blast radius; all hugely important statistics, none are shown anywhere in game...
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #341

Blast Radius is - mouse over a arty in your tank select and one of the listed numbers that pops up is that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #342

Blast Radius is - mouse over a arty in your tank select and one of the listed numbers that pops up is that.
    Ah. Hm, true. I don't think you can view it for arty you don't own tho? 'cause that's where it'd be more relevant; for the purchase decisions.

13. - Top - End - #343

I haven't considered Blast radius a purchase decision, but each to there own
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

14. - Top - End - #344
    Barbarian in the Playground

But for some SPGs blast radius is the deciding factor. Without its massive damage and huge blast radius, I doubt the S-51 would be nearly as popular an artillery choice, since its very lackluster in every other category.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

15. - Top - End - #345

I haven't considered Blast radius a purchase decision, but each to there own
    Well, it really compensates a lot for the lack of accuracy. S-51 & high tier US arty would for instance be more or less unplayable if they had GwPanther-level blast radius. The blast radius increases the percent of shots that do damage a lot tho, and opens up the more realistic multikill possibilities.

Not knowing blast radius is the reason I went for GwPanther and Object 261 initially; they have decent damage and insane accuracy. While I don't regret this, knowing the blast radius of the various arty I realized that especially the big boom-type arty compensate for a lot of accuracy with blast radius and they aren't actually as unreliable and wasteful money-wise as the accuracy/rate of fire/ammo cost numbers would indicate.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-08-01 at 06:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346

RogueGuy

Oh God, they're adding t10 SPGs. We're doomed.

Doomed!

*deep breath* DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOMED!
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

17. - Top - End - #347

Just was in the Store and was looking at ammo costs and noticed that the HE shells list what the AoE on them is
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-08-02 at 11:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #348

Just was in the Store and was looking at ammo costs and noticed that the HE shells list what the AoE on them is
    Oh. Well, that's convenient. Too bad it has to be at such an obscure place. Reminds me of old beta Counterstrikes where you had to know what ammo each gun used to buy the proper ones.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

7.5 update is out and interesting. I wasn't paying attention to the changes but since I had the AMX12t I ended up with a 100% elite AMD ELS...which is an interesting light tank.

It has a 90mm gun with a higher pen (at Tier 5) than the AMX 12t has, but a longish load time and the turret itself only rotates approx 45 degree in the front....so its a light low TD in the middle of the Medium Line. Oh ya, with 14mm of armor, cause armor is for sissies!

The change ot th Su-85s top gun is disappointing, but the top 85mm now pens 144mm and is a whopping 14 rounds/min...combine that with the new MM it should be serviceable.

I haven't seen any of the new maps yet, but they sound interesting.

Anyone Else played 7.5 yet?
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

20. - Top - End - #350

Played on Highway, Not seen the others yet.

My SU-85 retired yesterday after 410 glorious battles with the 107mm (the new 85mm just doesn't stack up to what it could do) Its likely that I'll move the crew up to the SU-100 at some point

What annoys me is that if the 107mm was to powerful for the new MM then why do the French still have a T5 TD that has a very similar gun
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Well now I've got to wait for my mod to be updated...

So far the ELC AMX is a lot of fun. Good speed and damage. Specs wise it doesn't seem like it should be much faster then the 12t or 13 75 but if feels better then either of them.

I don't know the specs before but it doesn't seem like either of the other AMXs I have were upgraded much for the move up to a higher tier. And I think with the switch to T7 that the AMX 13 75 is now going to be a money looser.

22. - Top - End - #352

Serene Coast is an interesting map, open on the edges, but with a formation of rocks around the middle that make for some interesting positional combat and peek-a-boo tactics. Have only played it once so far, so no solid opinion yet.

Highway is just too damn large, to the point where you will lose radio contact with anyone who is about 3/5's of its length away from you. Makes it difficult to tell how the other flank is doing, and all but impossible to offer them support. The river that cuts the map in half and becomes a canyon in the middle does not help things either. Winning there is based purely on luck of the draw, and that makes it a bad map.

Have not seen the third one yet.

Oh, and the T-28 lost its Tier VI gun and is back to being a useless heap of scrap in my garage again. I'll never get a KV at this rate.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I saw the T-28 lost the 85mm. I believe it has the quick firing 57mm like the T-34 has though. I found that to be an adequate gun...not WTFPAWN like the 85, but adequate.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

sigh...just had a match on cliff
    tiers 4 and 5 only
    south spawn
    game starts i head up hill...i am the ONLY ONE one on my team to go uphill
    10 went west road with the 4 arty covering west road
    they did not reach the buildings
    against 4 defenders + arty
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

25. - Top - End - #355

Sold my SU-85 after a single battle with it lacking the 107. Currently saving up for the SU-100 to transfer my awesome crew to.

Had an AMX 12t in my garage before the patch hit. The 12t looks exactly the same after the patch, just with worse MM so I immediately scrapped it and started looking into the ECL AMX which surprisingly started at 100% crew training.

For its tier, for a light tank gun, the pen and dam stats are awesome. Where it fails however, is in the aim time and firing rate.
    That tank itself is lickity swift which would make it a decent scout tank - except its turret can't really turn more than 20 degrees to either side of the front.

So far I've been playing it as a fast, rapid response tank destroyer and have managed to do reasonably well in it. My first battle with it ever, earlier Today, managed to get me an 'Ace Tanker' award because apparently everyone else who drives it is still trying to figure it out.

My initial impression of the tank is that I'll be putting it in my 'keep' pile to play when I need cash with very little risk of losing any.

In related news, the AMX 13 75 seems to have been moved up a tier with no buffs and an increase in the repair bill. It was already challenging and now I keep seeing tier nines. Not happy.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

and that stellar match was followed by another of equal patheticness

murovanka..encounter

i run over to the flag and down..kill an arty that got ahead of his team
    i blow through a bunch of them and i have 4-5 chasing me...i manage to weave through the rain of shells long enough to kill another before going boom...look at the score and it is 12-4
    ..................sigh

-------------------------------
    i am upset i didn't blow free xp on researching the lorraine before patch
    i needed just 11k to research it..after patch it now needs 98k

but at least they removed the scout designation from the 13/90
    that thing would be unplayable if it were matched up as a tier9
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-08-03 at 03:43 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

27. - Top - End - #357

Did the T-50-2 get a stealth nerf while I wasn't looking?

I'm having a much harder time accelerating and I'm turning like a Leopard. Not completely horrible, just not what it used to be.

I even took off my camonet + binocular scope on the off chance that they were weighing me down too much to no real effect.

;_;
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

28. - Top - End - #358

Not really as far as I can make out when shooting at them :|.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat.GW View Post
    Not really as far as I can make out when shooting at them :|.
    Aye. Annoying as ever.

AMX 12t is now a pain to play, that's for sure.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

i am seriously beginning to wonder if they forgot to put damage boxes on the front of the super pershings

i have had about 40 penetrating shots to the front of those things in locations all over the front..top to bottom..left to right

and have yet to do a single point of damage

full size avatar