New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Wet Ammo Rack
    really? o don't think i have EVER had my type ammo racked
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

2. - Top - End - #482
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Was racked several times before i bought one and a couple of times since
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Never owned a Type, but I racked several in my KV-3. Even one whom I shot frontally.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

They really need to find some additional criteria for match maker to balance off of. I know its not possible to balance things completely, but it seems like the majority of games end up at least 10 to 5, if not worse. A lot of games one team looses only 2-3 tanks total.
    They just really aren't any fun, even winning isn't that great when you are essentially in clean-up mode after 3 minutes into the fight.

I don't know exactly how they would do it... but they have a lot of data available to them if they wanted to use it.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    They really need to find some additional criteria for match maker to balance off of. I know its not possible to balance things completely, but it seems like the majority of games end up at least 10 to 5, if not worse. A lot of games one team looses only 2-3 tanks total.
    They just really aren't any fun, even winning isn't that great when you are essentially in clean-up mode after 3 minutes into the fight.

I don't know exactly how they would do it... but they have a lot of data available to them if they wanted to use it.
    They'd have to involve player skill in the matchmaking process. Right now, those 600 efficiency players generate practically dead weight and autolosses, especially in the higher tier vehicles.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

They should have plenty of data to work with though. They could do an overall player composite score as well as a score for each vehicle. A combination of wins/losses, average exp, damage, kills, and awards. That should give you a good idea of who runs out and dies 30 seconds into the fight, who is getting kills, and just generally how useful someone is. They could also have some idea from who is driving a stock tank and who has a fully fitted one, just a few more numbers here and there to tweak into their balancing formula. It isn't going to be perfect by any means but it couldn't possibly be worse then their almost completely random method used now.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

you can blame xmv or whatever that stupid bleeping mod is

the sheep get into a match and the program says they have a less than 45% chance to win so they go suicide stupidly and get into another match

cause any chance of winning thats lower than 45% is just too much effort
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

8. - Top - End - #488

you can blame xmv or whatever that stupid bleeping mod is

the sheep get into a match and the program says they have a less than 45% chance to win so they go suicide stupidly and get into another match

cause any chance of winning thats lower than 45% is just too much effort
    Huh? I haven't seen a significant increase in the number of stupid suicides after that mod existed. I'd say it's more certain grinder players who just plain suck and end up suiciding most of their games; that's how people manage to get 40% global win rates in pubs and stuff (which basically means they're negative credit to their team every game).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the 105mm on the m4 worth having? It looks like a nice light popper, but is there enough penetration to use against anything else?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

I went with the A1 guns on my M4. But I'm not a fan of derp guns in general. I almost always pick the accurate high rate of fire weapons when given the choice.

With the fairly light armor on the M4, I don't think a close range brawling sort of weapon is going to mesh well. You need to live long enough to make a few shots.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Barbarian in the Playground

The M4 Derp Cannon is actually pretty powerful when used in the right hands. I dread them even in higher tiers because they just LOVE to flank and pop me in the sides or butt.

Hell, even frontally they're pretty good at finishing off larger targets. "No way in hell a med of that tier could possibly pen my front armor... But I am down to stupidly low levels of health and he DOES have that Howitzer equipped. Stupid M4, I'm gonna sit here and wait."
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

12. - Top - End - #492

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Is the 105mm on the m4 worth having? It looks like a nice light popper, but is there enough penetration to use against anything else?
    In an ironic twist of fate, I once had my M4 oneshot (not ammo racked) by a T82 with the same Howitzer equipped. That convinced me to stick to it on my M4. It's really solid.

13. - Top - End - #493

Flumph

On the subject of MM cheating you, this poor fellow wasn't too happy.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's possible he was trying to get a payout based on the bonus for shooting at a higher tier. If he could sneak up behind an arty or TD he could do some damage and get that xp bonus for damaging higher tier vehicles.

But really, if you're gonna cheese it in a loltraktor just play it straight once you know your business at the game, and you can make things like this happen (occasionally):

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, if you go through the trouble of fitting out a t1 tank you can do wonders, especially when you'll be facing a lot of new players and a lot of 50% crews and no accessories.

edit: They really need to change credit earnings for scout tanks. The VK2801 we won, I got the scout badge, and I still lost 3550 credits on the match.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2012-08-31 at 10:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495

Here is the answer to your question.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

HOw can you fight a maneuver battle like that at such low framrate? Or was that something to do with the recording?

17. - Top - End - #497

HOw can you fight a maneuver battle like that at such low framrate? Or was that something to do with the recording?
    Very, very carefully. It's partly the recording, but the game has always refused to run at higher than about 15 fps for no discernible reason. It isn't my system; I run a quad core processor and nine gigs of RAM.

Edit: Just took my derpin' Sherman out again. Five kills, would have had more but my team crumbled on the other side of the map and they capped as I was lining up the 6th.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-08-31 at 11:47 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Well your video card is the important bit with expected framerates. I consistently run 40-60fps (I run vsync) with my dual core, 4gb, and G275.
    And that was running with pretty much everything on high. Really I didn't see much of a difference when I turned of AA and post processing, which I did because it was mentioned as a potential reason why the game keep crashing on me.
    And I assume you must have one of the first generation i7 processors? Because thats the only thing that used 3 channel memory, which would be the only case where 9GB might make sense... and even that doesn't work out right.

19. - Top - End - #499

Flumph

If you're only getting 15FPS on that setup something am busted.

Mine chugs a bit sometimes, but it's a 4.5 year old laptop and even then it's only on the really wide open maps that it goes that low. (Admittedly I have everything on minimum except draw distance)

20. - Top - End - #500
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Very, very carefully. It's partly the recording, but the game has always refused to run at higher than about 15 fps for no discernible reason. It isn't my system; I run a quad core processor and nine gigs of RAM.
    WoT can only use one core properly.

As for the XVM, it gives players using it a tactical advantage. That type 59 you are fighting? You now see if he has 40% win rate and less then 1000 played games or if he has 60% win rate and 10,000 games. I don't much care for the mod myself, but a friend uses it and when we play I'm thankful for being told who are players to beat in the opposing teams. But then again I tend to actively go after people with good stats/famous clan tag.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    WoT can only use one core properly.

As for the XVM, it gives players using it a tactical advantage. That type 59 you are fighting? You now see if he has 40% win rate and less then 1000 played games or if he has 60% win rate and 10,000 games. I don't much care for the mod myself, but a friend uses it and when we play I'm thankful for being told who are players to beat in the opposing teams. But then again I tend to actively go after people with good stats/famous clan tag.
    Of course it's useful. I use it myself, mostly out of curiosity to see correlations between results in the game and past results, and to see who I should be learning from. I just mean, I haven't seen the "Oh, 45% win rate. Better suicide."-mentality increase significantly with the mod which leads me to believe the people who suicide do it less because of 45% win rate and more because they're bad and always suicide.

Hell, I've won games with 5% "win rate" before. The mod after all takes into account only parts of what the whole performance consists of and includes irrelevant numbers like number of games played. It's direction giving at best.

22. - Top - End - #502

I don't use XVM, but I have found that it apparently lies like it's going out of style; every single solitary time someone has cheerfully announced that we have a 90%+ chance of victory, the team loses horribly.

23. - Top - End - #503

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I don't use XVM, but I have found that it apparently lies like it's going out of style; every single solitary time someone has cheerfully announced that we have a 90%+ chance of victory, the team loses horribly.
    Yeah, the win rate calculations are just way too big generalizations to be accurate (which is really trivial; it's impossible to accurately predict the results of a game with 30 random variables especially since things like individual vehicles, individual maps and so on alter the outcome significantly). Individual performance, however, tends to be incredibly accurate.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-09-01 at 08:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #504

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Yeah, if you go through the trouble of fitting out a t1 tank you can do wonders, especially when you'll be facing a lot of new players and a lot of 50% crews and no accessories.
    Crew and accessories don't make enough difference to get you 9 kills in a match. If I'd played that match with a 50% crew and no accessories I'd probably still have made 6 of those 9 (slower shot rate would have meant that teammates would have gotten more of a look in, but the difference between a 50% crew and a 100% one is only actually about 20% real performance).

The monster kill tally came because I was on the hill on Mines and no-one else was. I've had similarly profitable games on other maps by similar dint of knowing what to do in the game, and any of them would be replicable with a starting tank and crew.

I think the progression system has a lot of people fooled into thinking that as they get moar better tanks they'll get meaningful performance upgrades, whereas the tier system and matchmaking ensures you're always on a treadmill (and one that keeps getting faster to tempt you into buying premium/premium tanks to print credits to pay for your repairs), and only one in three times will you be the Big Man of the tier list.

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I think the progression system has a lot of people fooled into thinking that as they get moar better tanks they'll get meaningful performance upgrades, whereas the tier system and matchmaking ensures you're always on a treadmill (and one that keeps getting faster to tempt you into buying premium/premium tanks to print credits to pay for your repairs), and only one in three times will you be the Big Man of the tier list.
    Except on Tier 10

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Yeah, the win rate calculations are just way too big generalizations to be accurate (which is really trivial; it's impossible to accurately predict the results of a game with 30 random variables especially since things like individual vehicles, individual maps and so on alter the outcome significantly). Individual performance, however, tends to be incredibly accurate.
    I'm the type that just likes to see if we could beat the odds... as well as see which ones are bad players.

27. - Top - End - #507

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Except on Tier 10
    And then you can hide at the back for fear that a scratch to the paintwork will cost all your credits ever to fix :P

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

sooooo many morons out today

just played a match...encounter...steppes..i am in my m26
    i was planning to go flag because the only meds they had were a couple ez8

moron kv5 driver says everyone to base(he actually meant flag...but hey, see description of him) so everyone except an arty heads to flag at start

i point out that the map is won/lost 99% of the time in west
    ...uselessly of course

ok..lets try to salvage a win from this says i to meself

i ask the tier5's and 6's to get on the flag and BEG the heavies not to so they can set up a defense and keep enemy off the cappers
    (about this time the sole arty that stayed back at start point((NOT afk i wish to point out)) gets mobbed by 10 enemies and starts whining about morons who flood flag) (i agree with him...but what kind of moron stays at start in an arty when he sees entire team go across the map?)

meanwhile at the flag...can you guess what happens?

YOU ARE CORRECT!!!
    the 2 idiot kv5's get on the flag(where they cannot shoot anyone) and the tier 5 and 6's set up at top to defend............................

/headdesk
    /headdesk
    /headdesk

full size avatar

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Just was driving my Sherman. In a match filled with Stalins. I did poorly.

30. - Top - End - #510

Just had my best Type-game thus far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing with Groz_nez on Wide Park, we're southern spawn and end up initially going alone to the hill. I do a sweep by the rails and catch two KV-1Ss trying to cross; I proceed to track one and few of our team members converge to kill them (tho I take a hit and my Ammo Rack is damaged; Repair Kit used).

We proceed towards the hill and engage a lone enemy Type from the edge of the town. We drop it low but are forced back as enemy Ferdinand, T-34-85 & M6 make their dynamic entry. I manage to land some shots on Ferdi's rear armor as it passes me, when T-34-85 comes through the wall to engage me head-on; I shoot him to remind him why that's a terrible idea and he pulls back. With an opening offered by enemy Type and Ferdi being engaged, I press on against T-34-85 and take it out.

Then I poke the Ferdi some more until Tiger II finishes it off, and we drop the Type while M6 hits me and lights me on fire and my ammo rack is damaged again. We manage to finish the M6 off tho. Right about this point we notice our left flank has completely collapsed in spite of their numerical superiority; I'm beat up so I go for the enemy Hummel and base while Groz_nez and the remaining Tiger II go defend.

I fail to find the enemy Hummel but immediately start cap when our base team starts losing. Enemy has two cappers but we still have ISU and some Tier 6 left so I keep capping and running around trying to avoid the inevitable shot once Hummel makes its dynamic entry. At about 70% cap, Hummel does indeed appear but as I'm moving vertically it misses (my first shot from the move at it dings; after it misses me tho I stop and take aim to shoot it once causing it to retreat) and finish cap while our ISU apparently manages to interrupt their cap. Can't kill Hummel with my broken ammo rack but it doesn't reload in time and I'm moving vertically with regards to him anyways so he can't stop me from winning cap.

End result:
    Spoiler
    Show

My second Sniper and first Invader in this thing along with Mastery Badge 2nd Class

I'm definitely getting Safe Stowage. Dunno if I really want WET over Vents yet tho. Seems like a real close call; Vents does a little bit of everything while WET would make those pestersome ammo rack hits less of a problem.

EDIT: Holy ****. Got 1961 XP out of the last game and still only 1st Level badge. How much do you need for this Ace Tanker?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-09-01 at 09:50 PM.