New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default MS Paint Adventures 6:12

(It'd be a shame to waste such a fine post by Gez, so here it is again)
    ----------

I'll pretend for a moment that you don't already know about MS Paint Adventures, Andrew Hussie's experimental more-or-less user-driven webcomic.

"MS Paint Adventures" seems to imply it's adventures in using MS Paint. This is false. None of the protagonists ever try to use MS Paint. It's not adventures made with MS Paint either, there's only one page ever made in MS Paint, the rest are made in Photoshop or Flash. However, it's true there are several adventures. Four at the moment: Jail Break, Bard Quest, Problem Sleuth, and Homestuck. You can pretty much safely ignore the first two, they're immature crap. Problem Sleuth is when it started to get good, and Homestuck is the currently on-going adventure, so it's the one that's going to be discussed in that thread.

Keen-eyed readers may notice the numbers in these URL. 1, 2, 4, 6? What happened to 3 and 5? Well, 3 was some sort of easter-egg joke about the Midnight Crew. 5 was the first attempt at making Homestuck, with the idea it'd be entirely in Flash. That was dropped as too time-intensive to create, and turned into some sort of in-joke easter-egg as well.

Which brings the next point: in-jokes. The comic is full of them. They constantly reference each other, and are full of callbacks. Here's a few of them:

What Pumpkin? : Jail Break introduced a useless contraption known as the Pumpkin Appearifier. It "appearifies" a pumpkin taken from somewhere else. As a result, that pumpkin disappears from the other place. Why anyone would create a teleporter that only works on pumpkins is a mystery; but this legacy has endured and there is a tradition still upheld in Homestuck to have gratuitous pumpkins in the story, here just to disappear without prior notice. Hussie's shop and imprint is called What Pumpkin?, but they don't sell pumpkin appearifiers there. Just shirts and discs and stuff.

Midnight Crew: during Problem Sleuth's run, one of the reader, known as Mayonaka, paid Hussie some money to star his D&D characters in a PS crossover. Hussie made them into a small-time bunch of thugs, and they become very popular, to the point that readers clamored for a series about them. Eventually, they turned up in Homestuck, although by then they didn't have much in common with Mayonaka's characters anymore.

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: This started on the Penny Arcade forum, as a mockery of someone's request for feedback for yet another of these "two guys chatting about games" comics meant to amuse a few of the author's direct friends and that's it. NWS? source, go to second page and look for S_O's posts. It became a vehicle for in-universe Homestuck memes, shared by the protagonists, which of course became real-world memes too because Homestuck fans.

Hussie used to have a site called Team Special Olympics (hence his PAF name of S_O) where he posted various creepy comics and articles about stuff he found on the net that was unsafe for work and mind both. If you dare digging around, you'll find the origins of a lot of other references and in-jokes later used in the comics.

Homestuck Music can be listened to at Bandcamp. One may also mention the fan music while they're at it. Because Homestuck fans are exceedingly productive. Go on a music-sharing site like Tindeck and count how many of the "popular tracks" have a Homestuck-derived avatar. That's usually between 60% and 90% of them. DeviantArt is less homestuckized, but only because there is a much larger userbase. You will still need more than a lifetime to see all pieces of HS fanart on DA.

Homestuck fans can be quite gross. Don't be like them, try to remember how to function normally in society. For example, even if you're dressed-up as a bunch of alien clowns, don't go in a classy restaurant to noisily spit in a bucket. It's rude.

But Homestuck, and MSPA in general, didn't attract such a large number of socially-maladjusted fans if it didn't have some good qualities about it. It is a masterfully-written story, cohesive despite the user-driven shenanigans that shaped it at the start, and very intricate. It makes use of its medium (the web) in ways more clever than just an infinite canvas, as the entire site can change to represent a shift in narrative voice, or to tell a parallel story hidden in a little corner.

Still, there are times when you'll have to wonder just WTF is happening. Why is there suddenly a lengthy essay about troll romance? Why do we need weird made-up names for passionate hatred and platonic friendship? What does that thing about getting locked in the attic have to do with anything? Chances are that at these times, Hussie is trolling his fans. Because he loves to do so. It can be seen in the flippant tone with which he answers the formspring tumblr reddit questions readers ask of him on his tumblr. Unfortunately, this flippancy means that it's easy for a small controversy to degenerate into complete drama. An example would be when former music contributor Bill Bolin was removed from the music team after a misunderstanding escalated to full-on bridge burning. The latest drama is about Hussie being racist since he declared his white kid protagonists were "canonically aracial" and you could pretend they were Asian or Black or whatever. Some tumblrers unearthed an old in-universe chatlog between two of the protagonists referring to a third character as being white, and the blogosphere exploded. There was an older, previous dramasplosion about sexism with the "bluh bluh huge bitch" thing applied to Vriska. Chances are more drama will inevitably happen in the future.

So, huh, keep in mind that Andrew Hussie is just an ordinary White American guy, not a perfect deific incarnation of Talent itself, and that he can make mistakes and be clumsy, especially when under the pressure of having to deal with a huge, obsessive, and often creepy fanbase.

So, just be reasonable people and all should be fine.

Previous threads:
    MS Paint Adventures
    MS Paint Adventures II: Who's Playing Who Now?
    MS Paint Adventures III: [S] Comment
    MS Paint Adventures 4: 13
    MS Paint Adventures V: THIS IS STUPID
    ----------
    Thanks Gez! Only changes are to add the new reddit question thing.

So, anyone else think Meenah is going to spoil Aranea's story?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

Now then. To start off this thread, Votes on the next pre-scratch ancestor we'll meet?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Keeping in mind that I have no actual clue or preference which ancestor shows up next, and also that I'm not even 100% sure any more WILL show up...

Maybe the Sufferer? Meenah's been referring to him recently.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

We won't necessarily meet any more. I think Hussie mentioned something about not intending to introduce a whole 'nother twelve characters- he may just be sticking with Fishbutt and Spiderface. If we are going to meet any more, though, my money's on A1!Sufferer, or possibly A1!Summoner. (Although it would be hilarious to meet A1!Subjugglator.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Looks like I was wrong, the correct answer was

Spoiler
    Show
    all of them. Sorta.

If Hussie went to the trouble of drawing all the sprites so as to show them in silhouette, I get the feeling they'll all be revealed however briefly. I mean I'm pretty sure he also said he didn't want to bother detailing all of the adult ancestors, but that eventually happened.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I have to admit - I didn't like her at first, but Meenah is growing on me a little more with each update. (I think her response to Karkat is really the best thing ever, but her short summary of what happened is pretty entertaining too.)
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Shes also growing on me a bit. Her quirk still makes me annoyed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Now then. To start off this thread, Votes on the next pre-scratch ancestor we'll meet?
    I'm not counting silhouettes
    Rufio! Rufio! Rufio!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The weird part? Rufios horns ARE SMALLER THEN TAVROS'S horns!

So if Rufios horns are huge as an adult, then as an adult Tavros's horns.....my god.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I love Meenah. <3
    Hm... my bets are on pre-scratch Disciple, or perhaps Dolorosa.
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and
    "tics" meaning "little insects"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Technically Hussie wouldn't be introducing anyone new if he did give some focus on the pre-scratch trolls. They are largely unimportant though, narratively at least.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Shes also growing on me a bit. Her quirk still makes me annoyed.
    How so? From what i've seen her quirk is more or less the same as Feferi's, but without the H= )( thing.

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    Technically Hussie wouldn't be introducing anyone new if he did give some focus on the pre-scratch trolls. They are largely unimportant though, narratively at least.
    Careful, you can get yelled at for saying something like that.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-05-31 at 11:56 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Her slurring of words. I guess it isn't her quirk as much as her horrible grammar.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ahh, guess i dont notice it because i have pretty bad grammer myself :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

No yours is fine. I just can't understand what she's saying half the time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone know what kind of instrument that scratch device is?

Also yay Meenah for saving us from more huge text blocks!
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    A phonograph, just a very early one. The earliest models used cylinders which would be read from one border to the other, rather than discs. In both case the device used a needle following a spiral, just in the original models the spiral had a constant radius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I only put in this one link disguised as spam last thread, but Dante Basco (actor for Rufio and Zuko) did a brief reading of Dave over on his blog. It's pretty cool.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also yay Meenah for saving us from more huge text blocks!
    Boo Meenah for interrupting our history lesson! Although, I will admit that I'm liking her more with each update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

I am getting the feeling that from the flipped relationship between the highbloods and the lowbloods that their session to us would feel kind of like a bloodswap.
    How so? From what i've seen her quirk is more or less the same as Feferi's, but without the H= )( thing.
    She only ues that when she's allcaps (i.e. yelling)
    I don't think that was a phonograph. More like a huge music box device.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
    So I only put in this one link disguised as spam last thread, but Dante Basco (actor for Rufio and Zuko) did a brief reading of Dave over on his blog. It's pretty cool.
    Meh, sounds more like Zuko then Dave to me :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

My love for Aranea grows by the paradoxical second o-o

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree. I also want to slap Aranea.

At first I thought the reason why she didn't care that as a pirate she killed and looted people was because after billions of years she was desensitized to everything but the survival oh her species.

Aperantly not. All she cares about is her adventures...YOU RAPED YOUR FRIEND YOU STUPID BLEEEEEP!

Edit:

Sea hitler.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-06-01 at 12:31 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Meh, sounds more like Zuko then Dave to me :P
    I don't think he was going out of his way to fit his voice for Dave, however I do think he would make a good Tavros VA.

Aperantly not. All she cares about is her adventures...YOU RAPED YOUR FRIEND YOU STUPID BLEEEEEP!
    I think this was more about her being frustrated with Meenah than a full out endorsement of Mindfang.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2012-06-01 at 12:43 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Scowling Dragon, I really don't think that was the point. Like, at all.
    EDIT: also...
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-06-01 at 09:15 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry. I guess im still channeling some anger from the fanpic I saw.

edit:

Yeah. That Comic was great.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-06-01 at 10:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

*reads the last few Homestuck strips*
    *reads today's XKCD*
    *rereads both*
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    *reads the last few Homestuck strips*
    *reads today's XKCD*
    *rereads both*
    I mean, it is the First Rule of Time Travel...

...at least among the unsavvy
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2012-06-01 at 10:44 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Is it the International Hitler Killing Time Travel Day or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

It Has Just Occurred To Me That Killing Hitler Is Likely To Constitute A Break From The Alpha Timeline. This Renders Me Solemn.
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-06-01 at 11:44 AM.