New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

HOMESTUCK FOR THE RECESSION!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

*desperatley attempts to avoid spoilers (is way back at the start of Act 5)*

so, hypothetically, if one were to run a Homestuck-styled RPG, what would be a good system to use, do you all think?
    Ideas have been GURPS, FATE/FUDGE, and Nobilis.
    It might be a little out of GURPS' comfort zone, Nobilis would require a lot of hacking...

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post

so, hypothetically, if one were to run a Homestuck-styled RPG, what would be a good system to use, do you all think?
    It might be a little out of GURPS' comfort zone, Nobilis would require a lot of hacking...
    Funny you should mention that. Someone around here was trying to get a SBURBabge Worlds game going. Apparently people have already made a Savage Worlds conversion for SBURB.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Someone around here was trying to get a SBURBabge Worlds game going. Apparently people have already made a Savage Worlds conversion for SBURB.
    That was me! We're getting a Troll Session started right now, so with Third Emperor's blessing, you could join.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

I've already made a Fatestuck character sheet for Strands of Fate.

but really?

the powers of Homestuck are so inconsistent, that it hardly matters. pick whatever power you like and run with it, and use whatever sylladex you please.
    the only real modification is the strife specibus thing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dwarf in the Playground

SNAPE KILLS D *Is taken out by canon ninjas*

I've heard people argue passionately for FATE in the past.

Oh, and someone made a specific Homestuck RPG. Not sure how good it is.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's also a campaign log for a game played in Legend over at the ruleofcool boards:
    http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index....pic,108.0.html

8. - Top - End - #578

All right, thanks all. Forwarded those fan-made RPGs to friends, didn't read them because they probably contained spoilers. I'll probably advocate for one of those or FATE.

@Lord Pringle: Thanks, but I'm not very much into play-by-post, though I suppose it might be especially apt for a homestuck RPG...

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, thanks all. Forwarded those fan-made RPGs to friends, didn't read them because they probably contained spoilers. I'll probably advocate for one of those or FATE.

@Lord Pringle: Thanks, but I'm not very much into play-by-post, though I suppose it might be especially apt for a homestuck RPG...
    If you change your mind, just shoot me a PM.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

10. - Top - End - #580

I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

11. - Top - End - #581

RedWizardGuy

With all the videosharing that's been going on in this thread, I thought I'd mix things up a bit by sharing something I found on tumblr. Spoilered for length.

Spoiler
    Show

Source.
    Last edited by Teln; 2012-08-18 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    With all the videosharing that's been going on in this thread, I thought I'd mix things up a bit by sharing something I found on tumblr. Spoilered for length.

Spoiler
    Show

Source.
    Awww.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

So, another week until the updates start flowing again...

14. - Top - End - #584
    Dwarf in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

So I came across a pretty good summary of and trailer for Homestuck.

I'm kinda surprised that you didn't catch up with Homestuck before asking this. I guess it's because your friends might be starting a game up soon?

Well, MS Paint Adventures started out as a series of interactive comics: roleplaying of the quest thread variety, wherein the audience suggests actions for one or more of the characters and the GM decides which suggestion(s) to illustrate. And Homestuck, like Problem Sleuth, does have a system. It's just a loose one in which everything is left to GM discretion because its purpose is to parody games and to drive the plot rather than to determine the results of player input.

The upshot of this is that there are a bunch of game mechanics in the comic itself, and thus the obvious starting point for designing a system for a Homestuck game is taking all of those things and deciding the specifics of how they work. Of course, you don't have to use Echeladders and Gel Viscosity and boondollars and whatnot directly, but... well, coming up with stats to serve as an abstraction of other stats strikes me as a pretty weird way to do things!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
    Oh, and someone made a specific Homestuck RPG. Not sure how good it is.
    People share some ideas about the use of FATE in that thread as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

I am back from other places!

'Ello, Science Officer. I hope you enjoy the comic. ^^

17. - Top - End - #587

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that you didn't catch up with Homestuck before asking this. I guess it's because your friends might be starting a game up soon?
    Well, they were talking about the possibility, but it hasn't gone anywhere.
    I caught up in the few days following that post.

People share some ideas about the use of FATE in that thread as well.
    If a game does get going in IRL, I'll probably push for FATE, really like that system. I joined a pbp game here that'll be using the Savage Worlds conversion, so I'll see how that goes.

And yup, yup, definitely enjoy the comic. Though I take it it doesn't update very often?

That was a joke.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Ususally it updates at last once a day if not more, but Hussie is working on a huge flash animaition ATM wich is leaving the comic itself at a bit of a standstil. it happens from time to time.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Firbolg in the Playground

Again? He said the plan for that pause was to work on all the stuff he had been neglecting so far (like, stuff needed for the books and stuff; also stuff about stuff and stuff). The flash pause was the previous one and resulted in Caliborn: Enter.

July 1st:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hiatustuck
    Posted on 1 July 2012 by Andrew

There will be some major pauses in updates coming up, mostly due to Flash animation chores. There will be exactly three pauses. Two of them will be related to animation. The third will not.

PAUSE ONE: This starts RIGHT NOW! (July 1st) I will use this time to work on the first animation. I have to travel to SDCC on July 11th. It's very likely I will finish the animation before that. Once I post it, pause two will begin.

PAUSE TWO: I will use this time to work on another animation, to end A6A3. It will definitely be longer than pause 1, because it will include my trip to SDCC. That trip will kill an entire week of animation time. I'll likely have to start work on it when I get back. Cross country travel is preposterously disruptive, and it's going to slow everything down.

PAUSE THREE: This will begin immediately after pause two. It will not involve working on animation. I'm reserving this time to catch up on the huge amount of chores I've been badly neglecting, and will continue to badly neglect during pauses 1 and 2. The irony of animation pauses: you see nothing for many days, but I'm working at least twice as hard, doing nothing else. It's a break for you, but an anti-break for me. So I need to schedule an ACTUAL break to do stuff that needs doing. Book work, plus tons of other things. I don't know how long this pause will be yet. Probably longer than either of the first two. Let's look at it sort of like the end of a "season", where the season was all of act 6 so far.

The bottom line is, this is all going to add up to a whole lot of "me not updating Homestuck" for a while. It's not really what I want, but there's just no way around it.

I guess that's all there is to say for now. See you after pause one!

July 28:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only one more pause to get through before we start cruising again. Unfortunately this will be the longest one. PAUSE ONE was 8 days. PAUSE TWO, including the trip to SDCC, was 19 days. I'm thinking PAUSE THREE will be slightly longer than that. I'll guess about 3 weeks. I have a lot to catch up on that does not involve working on Homestuck. Stuff I have neglected due to a solid month of non stop animation and travel. Some book work to do. Some secret projects. And, yes, some of this pause will involve working on HS a bit as well, as I get the next Thing ready for you to see.

August 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Three weeks ago I took a guess at how many weeks it would take to update again, and to quote myself, this is exactly what I guessed: "I'll guess about 3 weeks." It turns out I guessed wrong. I guessed slightly less weeks than the right amount of weeks. I'm now going to guess it will take one more week.

I could see a cool new flash for A6A4, but we're getting a new intermission first (meteorlabs & battleship shenanigans).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

I am rereading the comic and i have just started Act 3 and I have started to wonder something.

Why have the characters never accidentally turned cruxite dowels upside down when they scan them on the alchematrix.
    Last edited by Grytorm; 2012-08-25 at 11:16 PM.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Because they were never meant to.

This is a completely valid in-setting explanation supported by canon.

read on, you'll start to understand

22. - Top - End - #592
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    I am rereading the comic and i have just started Act 3 and I have started to wonder something.

Why have the characters never accidentally turned cruxite dowels upside down when they scan them on the alchematrix.
    Because it's all game constructs? Because they're sensible kids? Because it's not that funny a joke?

Also, it's called an Alchemiter.
    Last edited by Arrghus; 2012-08-26 at 02:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post

It's a little-known fact that putting your dowel upside-down is what qualifies you as a Derse dreamer.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Because they were never meant to.

This is a completely valid in-setting explanation supported by canon.

read on, you'll start to understand
    Re-reading; they already know. That is a valid explanation, though. But really, it's just not something that happened. Though it would be interesting if it ever did, it's not plausibly going to be covered in-comic at this point.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Re-reading; they already know.
    Correct. I even named one of these threads although I only post erratically.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

I was watching the Muppet movie for the first time a couple of days ago. As they started one of the songs, I recognized it. Why did I know this song, I wondered, since I'd never seen the movie before.

Then, I realized: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocKX...eature=related

Thanks, thread.

27. - Top - End - #597

RedWizardGuy

Here's something I just got linked to that I think everyone here will enjoy:
    the Homestuck favorite character sorter!

My results:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 Vriska Serket
    1 Gamzee Makara
    1 Dave Strider
    4 Terezi Pyrope
    5 Jade Harley
    6 Karkat Vantas
    7 Rose Lalonde
    8 John Egbert
    9 Aranea Serket
    10 Jake English
    11 Calliope
    12 Roxy Lalonde
    13 Equius Zahhak
    13 Meenah Peixes
    15 Nepeta Leijon
    15 Kanaya Maryam
    17 Dirk Strider
    18 Jane Crocker
    19 Sollux Captor
    20 Aradia Megido
    21 Feferi Peixes
    22 undyingumbrage
    23 Tavros Nitram
    24 Eridan Ampora

I must say that I'm surprised at how poorly Feferi did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Here's something I just got linked to that I think everyone here will enjoy:
    the Homestuck favorite character sorter!
    Neat! Here's mine:

Spoiler
    Show

1 Vriska Serket *Whoa thats like a total surprise ::::O*
    2 Karkat Vantas
    3 John Egbert
    3 Dave Strider
    5 Roxy Lalonde
    5 Equius Zahhak
    7 Tavros Nitram
    7 Jake English
    7 Jade Harley
    7 Rose Lalonde
    11 Nepeta Leijon
    11 Kanaya Maryam
    11 Sollux Captor
    14 Jane Crocker
    14 Eridan Ampora
    14 Meenah Peixes
    17 Terezi Pyrope
    17 Calliope
    17 undyingumbrage
    17 Feferi Peixes
    17 Aradia Megido
    17 Gamzee Makara
    23 Dirk Strider
    23 Aranea Serket

How the hell did Equius get that high on the list? I mean he's funny sometimes but wow. It's just actually sort of surprising!

I had a lot of ties :I. I'm not sure what to say about that.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-08-29 at 05:07 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

29. - Top - End - #599

Out of boredom, I too have taken this test. Results herein.

Spoiler
    Show

1 Terezi Pyrope
    2 Kanaya Maryam
    2 Dave Strider
    4 Roxy Lalonde
    4 Calliope
    6 Rose Lalonde
    7 Karkat Vantas
    8 Sollux Captor
    9 undyingumbrage
    9 Aradia Megido
    11 Aranea Serket
    11 Jane Crocker
    11 Tavros Nitram
    11 Jade Harley
    15 Dirk Strider
    16 Vriska Serket
    17 John Egbert
    18 Jake English
    19 Feferi Peixes
    20 Meenah Peixes
    21 Gamzee Makara
    22 Nepeta Leijon
    23 Equius Zahhak
    24 Eridan Ampora

I'm kinda surprised by how high Calliope got up there. I didn't get asked about her much at all. Equally, I am not at all surprised by Eridan at the bottom.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

took the test...
    Spoiler
    Show

1 Dirk Strider
    1 Karkat Vantas
    1 Terezi Pyrope
    1 Vriska Serket
    5 Nepeta Leijon
    5 Kanaya Maryam
    5 Sollux Captor
    5 Dave Strider
    9 Roxy Lalonde
    10 Aradia Megido
    11 Aranea Serket
    12 Jake English
    13 Jade Harley
    13 Rose Lalonde
    15 Calliope
    15 Equius Zahhak
    15 Jane Crocker
    15 Tavros Nitram
    15 Eridan Ampora
    15 Meenah Peixes
    15 John Egbert
    22 undyingumbrage
    22 Feferi Peixes
    22 Gamzee Makara

This list is very accurate.
    the only thing I'd change is switch Meenah and Feferi's places. and possibly put Eridan lower…