New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

I wonder if the fact that John got to move up to a higher god tier after he and Jade escaped the scratch upped his combat power and is being reflected in this dream bubble. It seems weird to me that he'd be able to do the windy thing like that when it wasn't possible for the real god tier John the first time around, unless moving up a god tier gave him more fine control over the windy powers.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #962
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I wonder if the fact that John got to move up to a higher god tier after he and Jade escaped the scratch upped his combat power and is being reflected in this dream bubble. It seems weird to me that he'd be able to do the windy thing like that when it wasn't possible for the real god tier John the first time around, unless moving up a god tier gave him more fine control over the windy powers.
    This is probably the case. I mean we have seen bodies being modified in the dream-bubbles with Tavros and maybe a couple of other examples but this degree of control has been impossible for anyone. Even just fixing themselves back to baseline is an issue for some.

John however is starting to take on more and more godly aspects from the god tiers it seems. I mean just at the heroic tiers he was able to move the wind on a global scale, so an escalation of that would simply be to become the wind itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

Well, both post and pre scratch Jacks got hit with a blunt object in the head.

I wonder how post scratch jack is doing now?
    was he really beaten by hte brutes or did he stab them all?
    Despite everything, its still me.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

John is being awesome! Hooray!

5. - Top - End - #965
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ruose was a distaction!

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    The ruose was a distaction!
    he HAS the hamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Well, with that result, truly Jack's rage will know no bounds.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

And Jack suffers the worst possible torture for his crimes.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

One more hit and jacks DEAD!

10. - Top - End - #970
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jack wisely realizes he can't fight this unstabbable windy boy with the hammer and the angry post lady with the exact same powers as him and absconds. Still wearing the hat.

One more hit and he's dead strikes me as premature. That hammer blow did more damage than main timeline Jack has ever taken, but he still has about 9/10ths of his health bar left.

Unless that hat reduces his gel viscosity massively or something.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    Jack wisely realizes he can't fight this unstabbable windy boy with the hammer and the angry post lady with the exact same powers as him and absconds. Still wearing the hat.

One more hit and he's dead strikes me as premature. That hammer blow did more damage than main timeline Jack has ever taken, but he still has about 9/10ths of his health bar left.

Unless that hat reduces his gel viscosity massively or something.
    Maybe the hat works like a jarate: it makes the target unwilling to live so it takes more damage.
    Despite everything, its still me.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post

One more hit and he's dead strikes me as premature.
    No, no, his chances of getting anywhere with PM would be dead. It's bad enough trying to impress a lady when you're saddled with a silly hat; imagine if the next blow inflicted him with Clownishly Large Footwear or the dreaded False Mustache? She'd think of him as no more than a laughingstock!

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Someone actually went and counted the pixels in Jack's health bar; It'd take 8 more hits to kill him, assuming consistent damage. That being said, it's difficult to gauge the effects of the hammer's special abilities.

That being said, Jack clearly believes it is time to flee before he is further embarrassed in front of his crush.

You know what would be ironic? If PM thought Jack looked good in that hat.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh please no. She had her planet destroyed by him and forced to wander a desert starving (Apparently they can starve, but they can't die) for 400 years.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Oh please no. She had her planet destroyed by him and forced to wander a desert starving (Apparently they can starve, but they can't die) for 400 years.
    Oh, pft, more than that!

Then again, it's homestuck. What if Jack did something to redeem himself? What would happen then???

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Nothing. Its what I call:

You loose. You fail as a sentient and you die now. The blood of infinite trillion lay apon your hands (The Universe had infinite different possibilities in it).

17. - Top - End - #977

You loose. You fail as a sentient and you die now. The blood of infinite trillion lay apon your hands (The Universe had infinite different possibilities in it).
    Loose what? His shoe laces? Seems a bit small compared with the other things listed after that...
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Loose what? His shoe laces? Seems a bit small compared with the other things listed after that...
    I meant he is irredeemable in my eyes.

Thats a personal choice and i don't want to drag real life into this.

19. - Top - End - #979

I meant he is irredeemable in my eyes.

Thats a personal choice and i don't want to drag real life into this.
    I know, but I couldn't help picking on the spelling error, sorry. (loose =/= lose)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but you don't really control the story, mate. Just because you don't forgive him doesn't mean some of the characters won't.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Yeah, but you don't really control the story, mate. Just because you don't forgive him doesn't mean some of the characters won't.
    I think the core of the point is pretty good, though - Jack is not a being who is capable of redemption, because redemption would require repentance, and he's not even capable of climbing out of his pit of murder long enough to stop stabbing people that he likes.

This has been true of every incarnation of Jack, from Alternia through both Earths to the cherub session. He is, quite frankly, barely even a sentient being, he's so monofocused on murdering everything and everyone, and he's quite clearly still not clear on what the problem is, given his frustration with PM chasing him over "one or two trivial murders". He's the least sympathetic character in all of Homestuck, although he is also one of the more amusing.
    Last edited by Friv; 2012-10-06 at 11:51 PM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes... Sometimes people just like stabbing people :| ...

Wether or not they are still good characters despite this is entirely unrelated. read: Chesla grinn from Chimnyspeak (NSFW)
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

Just because you don't forgive him doesn't mean some of the characters won't.
    I understand. Im pretty sure he could torture them for days and they would be slightly miffed about it for like...10 minutes followed by a joke.

But that doesn't mean I can forgive him.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Except that isn't really what happened, Prescratch Alternia was dead and gone for billions of sweeps before Meenah heard about it
    No, from her perspective she just got here ("here" being the afterlife), remember? Her personal timeline is

Live as recluse on moon rather than be saddled with tremendous responsibility --> Ultimately unsuccessful game session culminating in group murder/suicide to ensure own and friends' continued existence --> Hunt some alien's dream self for a while 'cuz hey why not --> Reunite with long-winded friend and learn that she was a genocidal dictator in an alternate timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Finally, there's an established bond between a gamer, their ancestor, and their cross-scratch alternates.
    Hmmmmmmmm........

ARANEA: I was a cool pir8te. The 8est pir8! I lived a long time, had amazing adventures, got all the treasure, then died. That's all she wrote!
    ARANEA: 8ut not literally. She wrote quite a lot in fact. She had a lot to say, just like me. Which is why she's so gr8.

Well, Aranea does seem to like her vicious ancestor too. Of course, Mindfang's really not nearly so bad as the Condesce, and her accomplishments can be viewed in the context of a proportionately vicious world which Aranea has had quite some time to get used to. Still........

Also, looking back at that conversation, I see that Meenah learned about the Condesce's servitude to Lord English from the start. So, if she was paying attention, she wasn't idealizing her alternate self as someone who never had to answer to anyone. Not that this changes much, just making a note of that.

Sorry for looking past her faults and seeing the fun spunky punk-rocker chick with awesome hair and and a feel-good attitude?
    Ah, so you're saying that you're concerned with core aspects of her character like fashion and mannerisms, while everyone else is getting caught up in superficial stuff like how readily she might murder people.

Sorry for realizing that in the Troll universe being violent or killing a few people does not equal being a horrible monster demon who has no good qualities whatsoever and only has an interest in murdering people and drinking their blood while violating their loved ones like everyone seems to be making her out to be?
    ??????

Ah, Two-Tone Perception Disease! Well, that certainly explains what you've been saying.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that most of us just meant that she's the sort of person who might stab you to death if given half a reason to and maybe even if not given a reason to. To most people, that qualifies as "pretty bad". We assumed that you already knew that!

I think you've got to admit that it's at least very inconsiderate.

Are you trolling mon?
    Ya gotta admit, if he is, he's been fairly successful! Though I've got to ding him for lack of subtlety.

I don't think anyone here is even arguing that she's neutral
    Really... She's not a bad person, at all.
    Should've followed the discussion more carefully, Calemyr. Never assume that something is too self-evident for someone argue against. As you noted, people will argue that Belkar is, somehow, not evil, so this really shouldn't come as much of surprise at this point.

By Alternian standards, the trolls who committed actual "murder" were Eridan (against Feferi), Kanaya (Eridan), and Terezi (Vriska). Everything else was against lower bloods, and thus culturally acceptable.
    >implying that murder isn't culturally acceptable on Alternia.

I actually kind of doubt that lowbloods were expected to obey highbloods out of anything but fear. Remember, a certain degree of class struggle was helpful to the Empress, because trolls couldn't rebel against her rule if they were too busy fighting each other. Relatively few of the trolls we've seen seem to actually buy into the idea of innate highblood superiority. Vriska, for example, is very aware of her status, but doesn't seem to believe that it's anything more than a social construct. This is probably typical of adult trolls (and another regard in which Vriska is precocious).

(By "innate highblood superiority" I mean the idea that the higher-blooded of two trolls is better than the other, irrespective of everything else about them. This is pretty plainly an unnatural dogma propagated by highbloods, and the sort of thing that illustrates that some people -- even some surprisingly intelligent people -- can be made to believe damn near anything under the right circumstances. Equius's deference to Gamzee is obviously the most blatant example of this.)

Besides, Kanaya acted in retribution for an attack against her, not to mention the destruction of her species' normal means of reproduction. I kind of doubt that that isn't allowed. Turnabout is fair play, after all.

Also, dooming trollkind may well have gone against Alternian ethics. By that standard Eridan and Vriska did some questionable at best stuff as well.

As well, if both opinions were equally valid we couldn't be having this argument.
    How does that follow?

in terms of actually benefitting their own team Meenah probably comes out way behind Eridan, simply because he used his ultimate weapon to help Vriska and Feferi for years until the session started and basically kept them all alive, even if his motives were far from pure.
    Gl'bgolyb still would have been fed without Eridan. She was fed for ages before he was around, and providing for her was important enough that it's ludicrous to suppose that it wouldn't have been taken care of one way or another.. Taking over that duty simply put him in a position to sabotage everything. His choice not to betray Feferi was an important one, but describing this situation by saying that he "basically kept them all alive" seems misleading at best. Saying that he "basically resisted the urge to commit genocide, or at least resisted the urge to do it in the way most likely to work, anyway" seems more accurate.

Thirdly, in the context of the Hemospectrum, assuming troll biology works the same on both worlds, they are inferior.
    There's this thing where someone who loves poetry is more likely to be a truck driver than a Harvard professor, just because there are so many more truck drivers than there are Harvard professors. In a similar fashion, there are probably gonna be more potential geniuses among lowbloods than among highbloods, since there's more of them. So stifling the lowbloods means stifling most potential geniuses. And that's before even taking into account higher psychic potential.

But of course we don't know all that much about the nature of the disparity in treatment. And it seems pretty safe to assume that people with psychic superbrains were probably treated rather differently than people without them.

Would Slick have become the Slayer if he'd gotten the ring?
    Probably. He definitely would have done exactly what B1 Jack Noir did if placed into exactly the same circumstances, because B1 Jack Noir is Spades Slick in B1 Jack Noir's circumstances. Like, that's the only difference between them. So it's not even "would have done", it's just "did".

Would Slayer or Condesce!Jack team up with humans based on their blood color?
    No, because Slick did that in order to depose the Black Queen. But if an alliance with the kids had presented itself as a feasible option to those other Jacks before their respective queens had been eliminated, they probably would have pursued that option. Why not?

Blood color was Karkat's basis for the team-up, not Slick's. Slick just went along with it because he's an opportunistic wild card like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Just to be clear; The Beforus cast structure was not just a reverse of Alterania's. The flash suggests that it was a lot closer to "White man's burden" (Actually, pretty sure kankri uses the term Blueblood's Burden somewhere in his monolithic rant), and that in general it often had lower castes being treated like children by higher castes.
    I think it's safe to assume that highblood elders didn't just treat lowbloods the way that human adults treat human children, but the way that human adults treat terminally ill children, for pretty much all of the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I suspect it's more likely most trolls just form long term relationships (That is, Morrails, Matesprits, and Kismesises) with trolls in similarly long or short lived castes once they get to the settling down point
    If it's true that highbloods are naturally more likely to be aggressive and violent, then they probably tend to have lower-blooded moirails. It's just that if someone only lives a fairly small fraction of your lifespan, there's a limit to how long-term your relationship can be, relatively speaking.

All things considered, this is not such a foreign concept. Humans have parents as Loved Ones Who Are Probably Going To Die Considerably Before I Do. That's our tragic arrangement that we sort of just have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    First of all, it confirmed that trolls can have 'sex' for pleasure. Porrim and Aranea had, "A red fling." Which usually means sex.
    Given the scare quotes and the "usually", I'm having a hard time seeing how this is supposed to qualify as new information. I had rather taken for granted that physical intimacy, pleasure, and pair-bonding were interrelated in pretty nearly the same ways for humans and for trolls in the context of matespritship. Had you not assumed that this is the case?

Scowling Dragon is ...right on all counts, believe it or not.
    Really? All of the counts? All of them?

But don't tell me it's this perfect story when it can objectivley be proven the writing is terrible at certain things. That isn't a fair and unbaised judgement of Homestuck's merits and flaws. That's knee-jerk reacting and it has no place in mature discussion.
    But a lot of the things that the writing is terrible at may well be things that the author isn't trying to do, and which many fans may well even prefer not to read. To suggest that the story is objectively bad because it's not the type of story you'd prefer strikes me as a biased, immature, knee-jerk reaction.

Of course Homestuck's not perfect in the sense of being all things to all people. What story could be?

they don't react to anything else at all. Because they are archetypes:

Quiet well mannered girl and Cool Dude.
    Exactly. Because those are their self-crafted personae. Dave acts Too Cool Too Care and deliberately makes it nigh-impossible to tell what layer of irony removed from reality his flippant remarks are. Rose similarly employs sarcasm at every possible opportunity and makes a point of maintaining her composure. And for each of them, this is not just a public face, but their self-image; it's how they want to be and try to be and generally succeed in being.

But when faced with the death of a loved one, they falter, at least temporarily, as one would expect of someone short of robotic. If at that point you say "Well, okay, but the vast majority of time they don't really react to stuff", you're essentially complaining that two of the protagonists are stoic characters. Which, if you don't like that, fine.

But not being expressive isn't the same as not having emotions! If you assume that, you're evaluating things on a pretty superficial level.

I disagree. Because it continues to treat it goofily. This is something that is a personal taste, but this treatment feels very goofy. Like a joke, rather then him being genuinely upset.

The beginning of the scene was "Funny times with Angsty John and Jade" not only did the jokey tone carry over, but so did the method of presentation. In addition it was a RAPID shift to Johns dads death. In a comedy when a jokey tone suddenly shifts to one guy getting angry, the result is more of a jokey tone. If the previous conversation did not occur (About the movie), then this would come off allot more serious.
    Lack of canonical Sadstuck doesn't make John seem any less upset to me. You seem be saying that you refuse to acknowledge his feelings unless they're presented in such a way as to force you to empathize. Which is odd, because in so complaining about how things "come off", you do implicitly acknowledge that how things actually are is different.

I guess what I'm asking is, are you saying "It's not enough for John to be sad, I want the comic to make me feel sad too"? And if so, are you a masochist? Because that honestly seems like it would explain a lot. ;)

Its because we find out more about how a character thinks, how they react, and who they are. There is a certain point where you can predict what a character would do (And if you predicted wrong then maybe find out something new about them).
    I was just saying that when that doesn't happen, it's characters "being developed less", not "becoming less developed". The second phrase describes previous development being undone (by a character unlearning a lesson in some fashion, for example).

Then he doesn't want me to care about the characters. If the comic, and the characters don't treat all the horrible things that are going on with any seriousness then I can't get invested. Why should I care about whats going on?
    Personally, I find the story, the characters, and their interactions with each other to be interesting and look forward to seeing what happens next. I don't feel sad when bad things happen to them, though. I'd rather not, really. I... kinda dislike being sad.

If you need to feel sad when bad things happening to characters in order to feel interested in what they do, then... well, my condolences on that. :/

If I don't care then its just a spectacle comic.
    How can you say that when there's so much inane screwing around?

It's not an accident that the inane screwing around makes no sense in context. Of course it's insane! That's the point! It's meant to be absurd! It was established pretty early on that this is how Homestuck works.

"You waste approximately 40 seconds playing the violin while your friend is in peril.

Nice time management skills there, sweetheart!"

THESE CHARACTERS ARE NOT NORMAL PEOPLE. THEY ARE WACKY. :D

:D. :D, Scowling Dragon. :D.

It still doesn't explain why humans are so emotionally stunted in the comic but whatever.
    I thought we already covered this. The "human" kids are actually aliens who crashed down on Earth and are superficially indistinguishable from humans but have a bunch of alien superpowers.

Like Superman, remember?

There is this thing, that the longer you live, the faster time flies. That SHOULD work the same way for them.

By that point in time you should be catatonic, laying on the floor screaming because your brain is so bored. Its experienced everything it can experience, its mastered and gotten bored off everything it can simply because its done everything else.
    Isn't your second paragraph here rather contradicted by the one immediately above it? :/ The older you get, the less impatient and easily bored you become because long stretches of time don't seem so long anymore.

You also seem to be assuming that you can only experience something so many times before it's impossible to forget it. That seems like a dubious assumption, as does the notion that billions of years is anywhere near sufficient time to exhaust all possible experiences.

If their so alien that 50% of their habits seem alien to us then we are wasting 50% of our time with them.

Its interesting to have a different psychology, but thats interesting ONCE. Its interesting as a concept, and as a study. But for those same reasons that means they cannot be used as characters because we can't get invested in them.
    By "we", do you mean "I"? Because, um... that's what you should mean, quite frankly.

There doesn't seem to be a degree of difference from me that makes me disinterested in a character. At least, not so that I notice and say to myself "I don't care about them because their experiences and concerns are too unfamiliar to me." Indeed, I seem more prone to say "Wow, that's something I'd never thought about before! This is really new and interesting; I want to see where this goes". If there's something that makes that feeling fade over time, it's failure to explore unfamiliar ideas further.

Like... do you just not get that lots of readers like the trolls because they're weird aliens? I think that they do a good job of being weird aliens but also similar enough to humans for us to understand them pretty well, which seems to be what a lot of people like. And understandably so. Sci-fi/fantasy species that are basically just weird-looking humans with special powers are a lot less intriguing.

You are totally looking for a different webcomic, mate. If you really hate it so much, stop reading it.
    What's so bad about reading something you hate, if you want to do that for whatever reason?

Is it that people who like the thing then have to deal with your angry criticism of the thing that they like?

Oh nooooooo.

I can't do this. I can't argue against 5 VS 1 odds. Its too exhausting.
    Well, you don't have to respond to everything.

... What? I said you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    *Uneccicary*
    All of that has stoped being discused ages ago because everyone was tired of it. please don't bring it back.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    What's so bad about reading something you hate, if you want to do that for whatever reason?

Is it that people who like the thing then have to deal with your angry criticism of the thing that they like?

Oh nooooooo.
    To a degree? Yes. Although my issue is not so much with the criticism - he's allowed to do that all her wants - as it is with the patronising tone he (and you, I might add) take when criticising it.

Disliking something? Cool. Being a douchebag about it? Not so much.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

All of that has stoped being discused ages ago because everyone was tired of it.
    I thought it was because everyone started discussing the newer updates potatoes. :0

I'm still not clear on why people lose interest in a discussion just because time has passed. Heck, not even just lose interest in, but actively dislike. Like, I get that it must be a common preference in order for rules against "thread necromancy" to exist, but I dunno why.

I should probably find a forum more suited to my personal style of discourse. But I probably won't do that any time soon because I'm lazy. Which is also why it takes me a long time to get around to replying to things. So this is totally situational irony or something.

You might want to look into a spell checker, incidentally. It took me a while to figure out that you meant "Unnecessary". (But it didn't take me a while to figure out how to spell it myself, because I have a spell checker to tell me the right spelling! Efficiency as well as clearer communication! Hooray!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    my issue is not so much with the criticism - he's allowed to do that all her wants - as it is with the patronising tone he (and you, I might add) take when criticising it.

Disliking something? Cool. Being a douchebag about it? Not so much.
    How could we improve our tone? I'm not clear on how it's patronizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, for one thing- Scowling Dragon tends to rant about how stupid the characters are and how they're unrealistic, which always has the subtext of "I'm the only one who sees this!"

You can critique it all you like, but you need to make sure that you understand that our position of enjoying the comic is just as valid as yours in disliking it or whatever, so that the discussion can be understood on level terms, not so it's "I am superior to you because X and this is why".
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Well technically we all think our opinions are superior then the other persons. Otherwise why would we argue?

Its just important not to be a jerk about it.

And sorry for bringing in the character argument again. The tonal shifts are beginning to bug me again. Il leave for a while until they settle down.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

One reason for arguing is to try and understand the other person's point of view more deeply, which will then give you additional information both on the person and the work, which allows you to further develop your own ideas both on humanity and what is being discussed.

This is not aided by going in assuming your views and approach are superior. This is something I am trying to train myself out of - or well, I never really believed that, but the way I argued/argue wasn't/isn't conducive to achieving my real goal.

Obviously before the argument I believe that whatever viewpoint is the best available to me - but part of the reason for arguing is to see if there's better.