Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Thats what I meant. He wants to tell this big epic story, yet make it silly and light at the same time.

    I already pointed out how this doesn't work (For me).

    What now? Im just here because JayangFet asked me too. Homestuck is the first comic I quit without effort.

    I don't hate it. I just feel completely uninvolved with whats going on in it.

  2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Fair enough. That isn't quite how what you said came across to me, but it's not your fault if I misunderstand what you meant there. Just... if you don't really care about the comic, then try not to frustrate (I'm not saying you're trying to frustrate people here, just that I felt a little annoyed at your persistance over a relatively minor point that I felt didn't really matter) people who are still enjoying the comic.
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  3. - Top - End - #1173
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Eh. It just popped into my head. People where discussing vampires, I gave my spin on it.

    It just kinda clashes with the Thread though.

    Il try to post less.

  4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jayngfet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Exactly. And for me, his act has been going on for way too long. SO long that I have both begun to see the strings, and am no longer impressed by the razzle dazzle.
    Which is going to be an increasing problem.

    I mean the stakes have just kept getting raised higher and higher already that in order to make Lord English seem credible, he had to have the ability to kill ghosts. I mean that's kind of stupid, even by homestuck standards. Who is actually at risk here besides characters we've already mourned for and one-note jokes who nobody cares that much about? I can't take English himself seriously as a villain because all he's done personally is kill characters who almost by definition are so one-note and minor it almost doesn't count.

    Heck, he isn't even the kind of master planner who could seem threatening by virtue of organizing most of the lesser antagonists. We've seen Caliborn. He's a whiny, overly bullish child. He isn't some kind of schemer who'd organize the Felt or have Gamzee censor his name because he straight up doesn't seem that smart.

    Lord English himself needs to do something more impressive than killing a Beta-Tavros and some Aradiabots, but the problem is there isn't much else left to do. We've gotten to the point where blowing up the entire universe has been done. He needs to do something with weight and quite frankly there isn't much he can actually do by showing up this late in the game.
    My homebrew(3.5):
    Planetouched, candy, Undead, Spiders.

  5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Which is going to be an increasing problem.

    I mean the stakes have just kept getting raised higher and higher already that in order to make Lord English seem credible, he had to have the ability to kill ghosts. I mean that's kind of stupid, even by homestuck standards. Who is actually at risk here besides characters we've already mourned for and one-note jokes who nobody cares that much about? I can't take English himself seriously as a villain because all he's done personally is kill characters who almost by definition are so one-note and minor it almost doesn't count.

    Heck, he isn't even the kind of master planner who could seem threatening by virtue of organizing most of the lesser antagonists. We've seen Caliborn. He's a whiny, overly bullish child. He isn't some kind of schemer who'd organize the Felt or have Gamzee censor his name because he straight up doesn't seem that smart.

    Lord English himself needs to do something more impressive than killing a Beta-Tavros and some Aradiabots, but the problem is there isn't much else left to do. We've gotten to the point where blowing up the entire universe has been done. He needs to do something with weight and quite frankly there isn't much he can actually do by showing up this late in the game.
    And people wonder why i had doubts about him being all that important :/
    Elsee Spiriteye by Cofeee

    Normal Avy by Thormag

    Spoiler
    Show


    Some homebrew i need help with.Fin stuf
    Hear it, love it, live it.

  6. - Top - End - #1176
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shneeblekneeble

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    I can't take English himself seriously as a villain because all he's done personally is kill characters who almost by definition are so one-note and minor it almost doesn't count.
    Hum how about the fact destroying those ghost was just secondary to hurting elder gods and fracturing the fabric of reality itself, does that count ?

    He isn't some kind of schemer who'd organize the Felt or have Gamzee censor his name because he straight up doesn't seem that smart.
    'seems' might be a keyworld here.

    Also you may not have to be particulary smart to be master planner when you have apaprently unlimited timey whimey powers.
    For all we know (unless I missed something that said otherwise ?) there are thousand of 'failed' timeline where he failed earlier and just went all the way back. It's like having all the time in the universe to plan and tons of retries.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-10-31 at 07:39 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  7. - Top - End - #1177
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    While I do believe it's been mentioned that destroying the dream bubbles has done permanent damage, that's been mostly telling and not showing; How exactly has it? What does that mean for our heroes?

    As to Lord English's planning capabilities... I feel that while Hussie needs to demonstrate them on a few more occasions, the chess game at least established Caliborn as capable of being both underhanded, and able to stick to a plan for at least some amount of time.
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jayngfet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Hum how about the fact destroying those ghost was just secondary to hurting elder gods and fracturing the fabric of reality itself, does that count ?
    Which, again, has no meaning. It's a scale that's so alien and unwieldy that deals with concepts so far away from core mechanics that it's hard to care that much. It's not like he blew up the world, or smashes apart galaxies. He's going beyond the universal scale, after which point things break down.

    It's the same reason there hasn't been much in the way of people trying to break past the scale of say... Gurren Lagaan. Once you get past the galactic/fabric of reality tier, it stops mattering. The scale of the horrorterrors is kind of like an actual lovecraftian monster: They're so huge you can't really fully wrap your mind around their goings on. I mean in terms of pure power output how much more powerful are these Blasts than like, Ahabs Crosshairs? How much more powerful are they than the Tumor? Do you seriously care to see the actual numbers if Hussie had them?

    Most power levels up until this point have had some kind of weight to them. John has this little claw hammer, which can cause concussions if he gets nasty. Then he gets a sledgehammer, which can smash through bones and is way more of a threat. Then he gets this springy hammer that's more powerful, to the point of him being able to hit multiple enemies. Then he gets his ghost gloves and big hammer and can mess up Ogres. You get past that point a bit into the Zillyhoo and Ahabs crosshairs tier where power is enough to one shot a late game boss like the Black Queen if you take her by surprise. With THE WIND he can mess up planets to get where he wants! Then you go beyond that to the white wand/Mindfang hammer tier and it starts to break down. It can break the last power tier but the visual effects can't get much more weight. When English does his attack that wipes out the dead kids and trolls and hurts the horrorterrors, there's no real idea how how much more powerful it is than the other players's best attack.

    I mean the actual effect looks like a more colorful crosshairs, which is less powerful than the science wand. It can skeletonize dreamselves, but the wand could blow holes clean through their target with less time. Is it just the difference of being a wider area of effect or is it actually more powerful?

    Heck, the Black King was powered by a sprite with a (small) horrorterror, along with eleven other sprites with their own power! Is he more or less powerful than a regular horrorterror? I mean on that scale the Trolls were able to do damage, even if they had to "cheat" with a bunch of doomed timelines. Heck, Gamzee managed to do a lot of damage with a melee weapon! Moreso than Equius who was able to one punch (much smaller) giant monsters!

    So could Gamzee conceivably kill a horrorterror or two if he felt so inclined? I don't know, and it doesn't matter simply because the scale of it is too high to have much impact even if he could. It'd be like "Oh crap he killed a horrorterror!" and then ten minutes later the effect would wear off and we'd have no idea how much of a difference this makes compared to his previous feats beyond "he is stronger now".
    My homebrew(3.5):
    Planetouched, candy, Undead, Spiders.

  9. - Top - End - #1179
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    It stopped mattering to me because why should I care about whats going on.

    I don't care about the characters because they are underdeveloped, and English himself hasn't done anything particularly interesting.

    Nothing particularly interesting has gone on period.

    Hes like a less interesting Jack. And Jack was already just a mad dog (Pa dum pish).

  10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    It stopped mattering to me because why should I care about whats going on.

    I don't care about the characters because they are underdeveloped, and English himself hasn't done anything particularly interesting.

    Nothing particularly interesting has gone on period.

    Hes like a less interesting Jack. And Jack was already just a mad dog (Pa dum pish).
    I can't help but drag out the old Dominic Deegan argument again. Why the hell do you insist on subject yourself to what you so obviously and vehemently hate? What on earth keeps drawing you back to visceral agony of this story when you paint it as having no redeemable quality? Why in the name of the unspeakable squiddles do you feel share your judgment repeatedly, and without revision or reservation, on a thread for people who enjoy it? I just don't understand that kind of all-consuming, ever-attracting hate, but I guess it sounds like you are deep in spades with this story.

    Homestuck is far from perfect, but it is trying to do something very unique, both in mode and scope, and deserves the patience and tolerance reserved for all pioneers who experiment and explore the means untried and the ways unused. When he succeeds, you should applaud. When he fails, you should discuss why. But it is the way of originality that nothing is for everyone and if this isn't for you, that's fine as well. Find something that is, rather than rail on how this isn't.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-11-01 at 08:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by M'aiq the Liar
    The Wood Elves are not made of wood and the Sea Elves are not made of water. M'aiq still wonders about the High Elves.

  11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dancin' away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Calemyr: thank you very much for saying exactly what I was thinking.
    You can shout it from the roof-tops, you'll be preaching to the choir.
    And you better get started on this funeral pyre, and one day I will truly set myself on fire so you can see how dim my light is.
    So you can see how dim is my life

  12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    I have to agree with everyone else on this Scowling Dragon, I've been purposely avoiding posting in this thread because it seems it's just been you complaining about why you hate the comic for several pages.

    Can we talk about something else?

  13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    We have... Factoring in that several of the early threads were much longer than 50 pages... Maybe 50 threads worth of Dominic Deegan discussion, almost all of which is dedicated to mocking it and complaining about Mookiee's failings as a writer.. That's... not the greatest argument.
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I can't help but drag out the old Dominic Deegan argument again. Why the hell do you insist on subject yourself to what you so obviously and vehemently hate? What on earth keeps drawing you back to visceral agony of this story when you paint it as having no redeemable quality?
    First off:

    I don't hate the comic, I hope I made that clear. Im here because Jayangfet asked me to be here.

    Number two: Does this thread at any point say "Fan Thread" heck or even "No Negativity" thread?

    No. Thats because until a work of art because GENUINELY awful of very basic levels, and hateful, it still will be fascinating to read.

    Because this thread isn't about mindless praise, but also about discussion. Nobody here is mindlessly bashing. Everybody here makes good points (Generally). Im willing to give Homestuck merit where it deserves. Its funny sometimes, epic flashes are epic, good art is good.

    But I am criticizing it on the things that I find bad (And unfortunately I find allot of bad things. Or not even bad. Things that just.....Meh). Why do you equally share your love about it? To show HOW it works. I criticize because its still fascinating, there are still many things to learn FROM its failures, and to tell it to others.


    My criticism is as valid as your praise. I can get just as much enjoyment from dissection of its failures as I can of the dissection of its victories.



    Homestuck is far from perfect, but it is trying to do something very unique
    Thats fine. But its been doing it for more then a couple of years now. The "Its new" shine has worn off. I can applaud it for trying something new, but I also must criticize it for trying something new. As just because its different doesn't meen its a good story. Thats the problem I have with allot of anime. They try so hard to get away from the standard tropes that the result is a trippy boring mess.

    Its no longer very "New" to be honest. With the amount of fanventures following its footseps I can respect it as a piece of history but that does not meen I should Ignore its faults. Especially when so many stories SUCCEEDED where it FAILED.



    When he succeeds, you should applaud. When he fails, you should discuss why. But it is the way of originality that nothing is for everyone and if this isn't for you, that's fine as well. Find something that is, rather than rail on how this isn't.
    And this is the type of stuff I was talking about.

    "Go away man, you have no right to criticize this masterpiece".

    I get being bored by repetitious arguments, but I have been trying to avoid that.

    I HAVE been discussing its failures, and I do applaud it when it succeeds.

  15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Oracle_Hunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I don't hate the comic, I hope I made that clear. Im here because Jayangfet asked me to be here.
    Wait... you're only posting in this thread because someone else asked you to post here?

    That is the worst reason for following & posting-in a thread I have ever heard!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!


    ~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

    Elflad

  16. - Top - End - #1186
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Well no, I still get enjoyment from critique.

    Jangfet simply said that he enjoyed my critique and wanted to hear more of it.

  17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dancin' away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    While the rest of us do not.

    If he wants to hear your critique, please take it to a private area wherein you can critique it as much as you like, because right now this is a bloody broken record.
    You can shout it from the roof-tops, you'll be preaching to the choir.
    And you better get started on this funeral pyre, and one day I will truly set myself on fire so you can see how dim my light is.
    So you can see how dim is my life

  18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Well no, I still get enjoyment from critique.

    Jangfet simply said that he enjoyed my critique and wanted to hear more of it.
    Which makes the Dominic Deegan parallel Calemyr made rather apt, actually (Not that anyone is saying that Homestuck is as bad as Dominic Deegan).
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  19. - Top - End - #1189
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinyMushroom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under your bed
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Hey, I'd like to break up this 'friendly discussion' (many air quotes on that) for a short question:
    c3< c3< c3<
    I haven't been able to access the website for a few days now. I know it's not just my computer, since others I know have been unable to as well. Does anybody here know something about this?
    Last edited by TinyMushroom; 2012-11-01 at 11:18 AM.
    Science: always an acceptable motive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

  20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Pretty sure Hurricane Sandy knocked out power to the server that hosts the MPSA site.
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Oracle_Hunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    While the rest of us do not.

    If he wants to hear your critique, please take it to a private area wherein you can critique it as much as you like, because right now this is a bloody broken record.
    Now now, don't start trying to harangue someone out of a thread in this forum. It ain't polite.

    If you don't want to read what he has to say, just Ignore him. It's available for a reason
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!


    ~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

    Elflad

  22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    While the rest of us do not.
    YOU do not. Jangfet, Squak, BRC, and a bunch of other people didn't seem to be repulsed by it. Im not going to go on about this forever, but I have as much right to post on this thread as you do.

    What If I said your PRAISE annoys me? Please move to a private chat.

    I will leave if the creator of this thread edit the first post to say "Praise only. No negative opinions or discussions are allowed".

  23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    I'll put it a different way which might ring a bit truer with the others.

    I, personally, don't mind that you have negative opinions about the comic, that's totally fine. I also don't mind that you voice them, I mean, we're talking about the exchange of opinions here, not only the opinions we agree with.

    However, the topic has almost been completely engulfed about why you dislike homestuck for x, y and z reasons and the people refuting your opinions.

    I think you have an interesting perspective, and I like that you voice it, but can we please have it applied to whatever the topic at hand might be instead of BEING the current topic?

    That said, now is a bad time for this to come up because we don't necessarily have another topic ready (especially with the site down) so I don't really care right now, but it is incredibly difficult to start a topic when it's competing with paragraphs (Sometimes multiple ones per post!) which detail why homestuck is bad or conversely, why you're wrong for thinking that.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2012-11-01 at 01:21 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    I can't help but think This is relevent to the whole scowling dragon thing.

    Long story short, he hates homestuck and nevr wants to see it again (Scowling you state on the very first post of this page that you quit it qithout question) but he also loves hating it too much to just leave it be and ignore it
    Elsee Spiriteye by Cofeee

    Normal Avy by Thormag

    Spoiler
    Show


    Some homebrew i need help with.Fin stuf
    Hear it, love it, live it.

  25. - Top - End - #1195
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Pff, If I hated it THAT would be hard to quit.

    Hating things is fun. No. Only when a comic bores and Im apathetic to it im hard to quit.

  26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jayngfet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

    Homestuck is far from perfect, but it is trying to do something very unique, both in mode and scope, and deserves the patience and tolerance reserved for all pioneers who experiment and explore the means untried and the ways unused. When he succeeds, you should applaud. When he fails, you should discuss why. But it is the way of originality that nothing is for everyone and if this isn't for you, that's fine as well. Find something that is, rather than rail on how this isn't.
    I'm trying to discuss why. The problem is, nearly every time I try pointing out something wrong, somebody gets defensive and it goes sideways. I'm still reading, so obviously I'm at least giving the story a chance. It's just kind of frustrating since this tends to keep getting sidetracked from whatever it is I'm trying to say into arguments about nothing. That trollpedia argument was probably ridiculous to literally everyone involved from literally the time the text box first opened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Wait... you're only posting in this thread because someone else asked you to post here?

    That is the worst reason for following & posting-in a thread I have ever heard!
    For the record, the conversation being summarised isn't nearly what's being implied.

    My words were more "Oh, the homestuck fandom(in general, not here) is so terrible, please for the love of god don't leave me alone with them. Especially (guy who doesn't post here)." This strikes me as being a misunderstanding that went out of control more than anything else.

    Because lets be honest here. It doesn't matter what you think of homestuck itself, the Fandom at large is all kinds of rabid and crazy. I mean as in literally every other fandom I know of has us as being pretty much the worst out there outside maybe the sonic fandom. It's uncanny how fast this reputation built up.
    My homebrew(3.5):
    Planetouched, candy, Undead, Spiders.

  27. - Top - End - #1197
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Science Officer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Hey discussion. I agree with what's been said about power levels/Lord English.
    It is very hard to get a sense of how much powerful various things are supposed to be. You keep breaking the scale and inventing new scales and it eventually gets old...

    But I disagree a bit about it being hard to take seriously. It might be a lot of telling rather than showing, but Lord English is an immortal, indestructible, time-travelling demon that exists in multiple (every?) universe(s) and has never been defeated. It could have been done better, and Jack is a hard act to follow, but I think there's been a good job done setting up English as the final boss.

    Also, personally, I think it's unlikely that English's relationship to Caliborn is as simple as Caliborn == English.



    Oh, and that reminds me, it's probably been said before, but man, do I ever dislike dreambubbles. They feel really cheap (like one those magician's tricks mentioned earlier). "Hmm, I want these characters to interact, but some of them are dead, and some of them are from other timelines. Howabout if they all met in a dream? So what if their dream-selves are dead, or if they're in a place where they can't dream? This is a different kind of dreaming. A different-different kind of dreaming."

    It kind of reminds me of Lost, where characters kept showing up in flashbacks because the writers had killed them off before they were done telling stories about them. Actually, Homestuck as a whole often reminds one of Lost, and not only in good ways. They both seemed to start to lose a sense of scale/purpose/direction as they went on.

    Anyways, there's a dose of negativity, posted in solidarity with those who may feel not-so-welcome in this thread right now.
    Last edited by Science Officer; 2012-11-01 at 09:58 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jayngfet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    Hey discussion. I agree with what's been said about power levels/Lord English.
    It is very hard to get a sense of how much powerful various things are supposed to be. You keep breaking the scale and inventing new scales and it eventually gets old...

    But I disagree a bit about it being hard to take seriously. It might be a lot of telling rather than showing, but Lord English is an immortal, indestructible, time-travelling demon that exists in multiple (every?) universe(s) and has never been defeated. It could have been done better, and Jack is a hard act to follow, but I think there's been a good job done setting up English as the final boss.

    Also, personally, I think it's unlikely that English's relationship to Caliborn is as simple as Caliborn == English.
    By that logic he's still not that much better than Jack, who exists in every session and has First Guardian Immortality and manages to mess up universes with Red Miles, which is a terrible asspull of an attack Hussie obviously made up on the spot to up the stakes.

    Oh, and that reminds me, it's probably been said before, but man, do I ever dislike dreambubbles. They feel really cheap (like one those magician's tricks mentioned earlier). "Hmm, I want these characters to interact, but some of them are dead, and some of them are from other timelines. Howabout if they all met in a dream? So what if their dream-selves are dead, or if they're in a place where they can't dream? This is a different kind of dreaming. A different-different kind of dreaming."
    The Dreambubbles COULD work, if Hussie had a better sense of scale and pacing. I mean concievably the dream bubbles are a confusing place where talking to the right instance of the right person is nearly impossible. Even Karkat mentions that offscreen they went through a lot of beta-versions and haven't really met up with many of their dead friends.

    Of course, this is off-screen. On-Screen it's all ultra-convenient where everyone meets their buddies right as it's best for timing, and any Beta-dudes you meet even in passing are good for you. There's never a dead Sober Gamzee stalking around or Karkat having a yelling match with God-Karkat over Nepeta/Terezi or whatever. Even the unsavory conversations such as other-other-other Beta-Dave even looking at Terezi never happened.

    Even with the same timeframe the Dream Bubbles could work, it's just that it's obvious Hussie introduced the concept, couldn't stop himself from going WAY too far with it, and is now pruning it back perhaps more franticly than he anticipated.
    My homebrew(3.5):
    Planetouched, candy, Undead, Spiders.

  29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jun 2005

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    So i was just thinking, According to Kanaya, Porrim told her that Glowing/Rainbow drinking is a biological benefit of being a jadeblood, the former to assist in navigating the dark brooding caverns, and the latter for unknown reasons.
    I don't remember her saying that she got that from Porrim, and I think don't think that she attributed the condition to all of the members of her caste. I think it was implied/stated that it was more rare than that. But I can't check right now. :/

    So what do you think then, does this mean Kanaya Isn't/never "died"? Is she still alive and well with a pulse and just managed to survive a giant hole in the gut perhaps in thanks to some sort of rainbow drinker puberty kicking in?
    I think that she got a "DEAD", but then when she was in a dreambubble Aradia told her that she wasn't dead. "Dead" is actually sort of an ambiguous term.

    But regardless of Kanaya's current aliveness status, it seems that she was predisposed towards this transformation. I think Aradia said that she was "prepared" for it, presumably by Doc Scratch. Maybe it has to be cultivated somehow before it can be triggered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Why did Kanya not know about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    She thought rainbowdrikers were works of fiction like in her books, she had no reason to believe they were real or were actually a biological result of her caste.
    Wait, was it actually established that Kanaya didn't think that rainbow drinkers were real? I think I would have noticed that! Blargh, I wish I could check the website now. DX

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    WOW! I have telepathy, and my buddy super strength! But glowing in the dark! Thats just worth GENOCIDE over.
    Snrrrrrk. XD

    This is a poor explanation considering that lots of other abilities exist MUCH better then hers on other troll types.
    In fact, didn't Kanaya even explicitly mention to Rose that the psychic powers of some lowbloods are considerably more impressive? It's annoyingly impossible to confirm this right now with the server down, but I'm pretty damn sure she did!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I don't come from a species that has superpowers.
    Nuh uh!

    And then there's the superpowers common to humans, like language, which is good enough at letting people know what other people are thinking that it's basically telepathy. It's not perfect of course, but what is?

    Or how about, say, vision? That's pretty much a form of limited clairvoyance which allows you limited awareness of the states of distant things. This is venturing out of the realm of the "super" in the sense of "extraordinary", since lots of creatures have this power, but it's certainly still super in sense of being really neat.

    The only reason that these things aren't considered "magic" or "psychic powers" is that they actually exist. Which is a point in their favor, since existing means that we can use them, which is pretty damn cool. In fact, let's all take a moment to appreciate our magical psychic powers.

    So coooooool.

    No proof for that. We only saw her kick a dude in the junk.
    Didn't we see Kanaya clock Vriska and chainsaw Eridan in the time it took a pair of shades to fall? Plus I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the recent walkaround that she seems to have a ridiculously high Fastness attribute as a rainbow drinker. This is a reference to Problem Sleuth. (Vampire speed!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I misspoke about the particular number. However the point stands in that Jade, in and of itself, is the rarest(outside Limeblood, which may or may not be an actual thing). This is outright stated.
    I don't think that anything more specific than "You are one of the few of your kind with JADE GREEN BLOOD" is ever stated. Blood colors like Karkat's and Feferi's seem to be much rarer, perhaps possessed by as few as two trolls each at any given time. I don't remember seeing anything to even indicate that sea dwellers are more common than jadebloods. Their status as "royalty" seems dubious unless they're pretty rare too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    WAS there even a previous Empress(or Emperor, we don't know if gender is specified in this specific way)?

    I mean, the point of the Empress is that she's essentially immortal and that so long as she says near her Lusus she's pretty much invincible.
    Well, the Empress is very long-lived, but probably not nearly so much so as troll civilization itself. Remember, they've been around long enough to run out of new titles for books and movies that aren't paragraphs long.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Can we talk about something else?
    Absolutely! Go right ahead! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    nearly every time I try pointing out something wrong, somebody gets defensive
    I'm unclear on whether "getting defensive" has a meaning beyond "disagreeing with criticism" (both here and in general).

    That trollpedia argument was probably ridiculous to literally everyone involved from literally the time the text box first opened.
    A ridiculous argument may still serve some purpose, though. And if it serves none, then why participate?
    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jayngfet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

    Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    I'm unclear on whether "getting defensive" has a meaning beyond "disagreeing with criticism" (both here and in general).
    Well, lets just take a look at that "it's a comedy" excuse posted a page or two ago. Obviously it rings kind of shallow, considering good comedies also have character development in plenty of cases. It also doesn't adress the point in question of the characters emoting. I mean, a big part of comedy is the reaction, in a whole lot of cases being overblown. There aren't many "laugh" cues during the moments being discussed, so throwing up a blanket "it's a comedy" thing strikes me as a cop out.

    Likewise, there's the argument that Hussie wasn't expecting homestuck to hit big. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but NOBODY knows when or if they'll hit it big. So often fame and fortune skip credentials and seniority and who has the biggest budget. Saying that a story is ok for not being great because they didn't expect it to hit big kind of offends anyone who managed to make something good and famous. It also makes Hussie look kind of incompetent since it means everyone else had their stuff planned right out and he just kind of stumbled in looking dazed.


    They don't really address the points in question so much as try to sort of explain away the faults without really admitting that they exist.
    My homebrew(3.5):
    Planetouched, candy, Undead, Spiders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •