New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default No Dungeons, Lots of Dragons, Nowhere to Run - IC

This is Dragonspire Peak, famed in myth and legend. In all the world this is the one, the only, place that is truly neutral amongst all those of dragon blood. It is considered entirely off-limits to the lesser beings than swarm throughout the rest of the world. Any that try to violate the rules of Dragonspire Peak are hunted, relentlessly, by every member of every kindred of dragon and obliterated without mercy.

This is the place of the dragons, and it will remain the place of the dragons.

For the first time in history, though, there is a meeting of every clan of dragons and every splinter of the draconic races. It takes place in the heart of the mountain, in a chamber so vast that many dragons believe it is not truly a part of the material plane, but instead resides within the realm of Io, the Ninefold Dragon. This is where you have come.

The view inside the chamber is simply awe inspiring. All around you are examples of every type of dragonkind - Pseudodragons chatter with Faerie Dragons on high up ledges, a group of wyverns are clustered together near the ceiling. Water Drakes, Flame Drakes, Battle Drakes and all the others mingle freely. A group of Dracotaurs mill in the centre of the room, and everywhere you look there are jabbering kobolds. An immense Gold dragon rubs elbows with an equally large Red as they lie just before a raised outcropping that acts as a speaking platform. Spaced evenly around the room, there are Magic Mouth spells, set up to repeat the words of whoever speaks on the platform. Evidently, someone has spent some time preparing for this gathering.

On the platform stand the greatest of each dragon clan. Each of them is known to you in story, song and legend. In the middle is the largest dragon you have ever seen. Its scales are glittering, shimmering, and almost moving in the light, creating a weaving, almost hypnotic pattern. This is Arculos of the Shifting Sun, renowned as the oldest, wisest, and greatest of all dragon kind. Some say that he is the first of all the races, a subject on which Arculos declines to comment.

Dragons have been gathering at Dragonspire Peak for some time, in anticipation of the meeting. The heights of the mountain are covered in small caves, temporary roosts and even a number of constructed and magical dwelling places for smaller creatures. Today the word has gone around that the meeting is about to begin, and all of you head towards the cavern.

As you enter, you are all asked to reduce your size. Even this cavern cannot contain every dragon in their true shape, and despite the neutrality of the place there are some races, such as the kobolds, that may become unsettled by the presence of your true forms. If you are unable to change form, you are offered the benefit of a shapechanging spell cast upon you to turn you into a smaller form for the duration of the meeting. You are not obliged to do this, however, and may retain your normal shape if you prefer.

For whatever reason, you have all settled next to one another. As there are still dragons entering the cavern, it seems as though there is time before the meeting starts.

This is where the story begins.

Spoiler
    Show
    What you all know:
    Three months ago, before you received word of the meeting, a strange glyph appeared in the sky. At first, summoning and conjuration effects became difficult, and those with divine casting found it harder to commune with their deities. As the glyph spread across the sky, summoning spells and interplanar travel became impossible. Clerics could not find their gods and found their powers fading. Then, without apparent explanation, the glyph stopped spreading, and slowly receded over the course of a week. As the glyph faded, conjuration powers began to function once again, and clerics located their gods once again. However, the deities could not or would not explain the mysterious break down. It was shortly after this that the dragons began disappearing and you received word of the meeting.

Everyone received word of the meeting differently; for some it was by messenger, others telepathic message, and others still by Sendings and other magical communication.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: No Dungeons, Lots of Dragons, Nowhere to Run - IC

Ezzerach scratched the back of her neck, at an itch that wouldn't seem to go away. No matter how many times she assumed her alternate form, it never felt natural... It always left her feeling uncomfortable. It left her quite irritable.

What a waste of time. Being brought here to mingle with half breeds. Look at all the half-dragons. Was that one cross bred with a a horse? I know the good dragons shackle themselves to lessers, but that adds new meaning to playing with your food! If the lesser dragons hadn't been invited, there wouldn't be any reason for me to be in this ridiculous form. Still, it has its advantages. I doubt more than a handful here know my true form and color. I, on the other hand, have a bit of an edge.

Ezzerach patted her gem, with satisfaction. One of the few trinkets she carried with her from her lair, she had briefly peered through it here and there, to see the true forms of the creatures around her. Her own form was attractive, by the standards of the pinkskins. Blond hair flowed down her back, ending at her waist, spilling over the white and yellow sun dress that covered her form. Her ice blue eyes flitted from one creature to another, and her expression was one of exasperation. She spoke out, though, to those around her, in an attempt to at least try to seem cordial.

"I do hope this gathering gets started soon, eh? No offense to the great ones up there, but the sooner I can feel the wind beneath my wings, the happier I'll be. I don't suppose any of you have any idea what exactly's going on, do you?"

Mechanics/OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to identify anyone I observe with gem of true seeing, using knowledge (Arcana). I know that I'll know the colors and such, but I'm trying to get names, notable achievements, and the like. With a +42, I should be able to get at least a 43 on any check, allowing me to automatically know useful information on any creature of 33HD or less, and likely those up to 42HD.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Remaining in his true form Nahatoran looks down on the "woman".
    "I do not know what exactly is going on and I too hope we will start soon. I am not comfortable being at a gathering together with many evil kin I once tried to slay. Or those who lost a relative to me. Maybe you are one of those?"
    Last edited by Wabbajack; 2012-01-15 at 05:22 PM.

"And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
    On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door"
    - Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ezzerach let a hint of bemusement creep past the irritation her form was giving her.

"You know the rules. While here, all have sanctuary. There's no reason to be uncomfortable here, unless you fear a stern gaze or harsh words.

Besides, fighting over breed or belief is so juvenile. If there's nothing to be gained, and nothing to be lost, there's no cause for conflict. And if there is something to be gained or lost, then the breed or belief of my foe has precious little to do with the conflict.

I must say, I find it heartening, at least, that you see so many you failed to slay. It warms my heart to know that, should you feel the need to try on me, your success isn't assured.

But I digress. To answer your question, no, you've not tried to slay me, nor have I lost a relative to you, I believe. You may rest easy.

My, it is refreshing to talk with others of my kind. I had almost forgot what a decent conversation was like in my solitude. For that, sir dragon, you have my gratitude.
    "

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Anargryos felt no need to shrink in size, as he was already smaller than most of the others at this grand meeting. Despite the cloak that obscured his features, the helm he wore, as well as his obvious parentage, marked his station to most of the metallic dragons in attendance, as well as a great deal of the chromatic ones. Normally, Anargryos would balk to be in the company of those who were so wicked of spirit. But Bahumet had given him a command, and he followed it. Besides, if these lost souls could help him discover what had happened to his mother, so much the better. For now, he would wait. The meeting would begin soon, as the last stragglers entered the cave. And then Anargryos would see what the Platinum had in store for him.
    In the meantime, Anargryos searched his mind once more for any information about the Glyph which had stolen his power from him. That had been a terrifying time indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anargryos starts off every day with a Mind Blank on himself, so that's up.
    Also, rolling Know: Religion to see if Anargryos knows anything at all about the Glyph, other than what you've told us.
    (1d20+24)[41]
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanras arrived at the mountain in his form most commonly used for dealing with the lesser, goblinoid races common to his homestead: a one-eyed, half dragon ogre riddled with scars. The form invoked awe from those native to his lands, but Tanras made no pretense to hold the same respect here. His relations with his kind have been less than warm seemingly for centuries; he held little interest in their conflicts of creed and even less in restraining himself from claiming their valuables. However, times are now different. In the midst of Hallowed Ground, he struggled to attune himself to the language of his brethren after many years in the highlands.

"These words sound trite and useless. Something incredible must be taking shape for our presence to be called. I wish it to be spoken soon. Here stinks of the arcane."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Come now, friend dragon. After all, there are many reasons to speak, and it harms nothing to do so. We have many centuries on this planet, and it serves well to pass the time."

DM/OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells active upon myself:
    Mage Armor
    Persistent Shield
    Persistent Breath Flare
    Persistent Scintillating Scales
    Persistent Listening Lorecall
    Persistent Wings of Air
    Persistent Arcane Sight
    Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor (self and Bamok Lundgren only)
    Persistent Lion's Charge
    Persistent Ray Deflection
    Persistent Superior Magic Fang
    Superior Resistance

Knowledge checks (concerning the glyphs):
    History: (1d20+42)[45] (has this ever happened before? What followed it back then?)

Arcana: (1d20+42)[50] (what relevant information is there concerning the impeded magic?)

The Planes: (1d20+42)[58] (are there any planes or planar effects that cause something similar to the glyph or the impeded magic?)

Spellcraft: (1d20+42)[48] (what can be told about the impeded magic or the glyph?)
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-01-16 at 01:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

"It stinks of the arcane? But we have the very arcane in our blood, even if it does not show for some of us. And I agree, talking helps to make the waiting seem shorter."

(DM/OOC)
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+48)[50] Arcane
    (1d20+48)[52] The Planes
    (1d20+48)[61] Religion

About the glyphs.
    Last edited by Wabbajack; 2012-01-16 at 02:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Wandering through the crowds of creatures steps a small and venerable looking kobold with a jeweled eye patch. Salazar seems to be wandering the crowd with his head looking up and around for something, although with all the large dragons not in humanoid form, it easily could be mistaken for admiring the other dragons. Every other step he uses a what appears to be a ornate metal rod as a cane. While many kobolds seemed timid and frightened (for obvious reasons) of the dragons not in alternate form, Salazar seems completely nonchalant about them.

He can be heard muttering to himself quietly.
    "Where the hell did he go? Like I can trust him to stay out of trouble with all these young whelps everywhere you go. Honestly, did all the kobolds and pseudo dragons need to come? They're just taking up space and air. Maybe they're the snacks for this party...."

He stops and cricks his back, before looking around.
    "HAS ANYONE SEEN A BAT IN HERE? OR A BIRD?"

OOC Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Salazar has a constant non-detection on him. I've read it several times and it doesn't specifically say it blocks true seeing, but it does specifically say that a caster level check is needed for divination spells on him. If that's the case, the gem doesn't have the caster level to overcome the difficulty. If it doesn't apply, i would be happy to describe a change in what he really looks like.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nondetection
    Abjuration
    Level: Rgr 4, Sor/Wiz 3, Trickery 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature or object touched
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The warded creature or object becomes difficult to detect by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect spells. Nondetection also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

If cast on a creature, nondetection wards the creature’s gear as well as the creature itself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

@Cowmaster:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As I've seen it, True seeing doesn't affect other creatures. It affects the caster, and alters how the caster sees. It's not like a divination such as Detect Thoughts, or the like, that targets you for information. It's a subtle distinction, but an important one.

It's open for interpretation, but allowing Nondetection/Mindblank to do this will hurt the party far more than it helps it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanras pays little attention to the multitude of small, noisy creatures in the area. He mostly focuses on trying not to eye their many, easily-claimed trinkets. Many of the creatures are in alternate forms, and, while not particularly worried about powerful adversaries, Tanras must keep reminding himself that this place is different from home. Bullying would not be tolerated. Even if it were, his foes are in the presence of allies. He glances over the speaking area and wishes that the ceremony would hastily finish without any complications.

Then he remembers. Oh, yes, words.

"I show surprise that a half-blood should have so little awe. The presence of murderers of so many of your kind is not unnerving?

I find little comfort in the presence of my kin. Their bodies litter my lands. The pleasantries they spoke were as hollow as yours. I wish to survive. That serves as my purpose here.
    "

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Unsure what shape or shapes he will want for the meeting, Antwelm casts shapechange. He then turns into a tiny psuedodragon except for his eyes, which he leaves large and metallic. He begins to wander the hall, meeting people and gathering stories. Even after all these years, there are so many he doesn't know.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

With a smirk, Ezzerach states, "Well, if your tone is meant to further your survival, then I fear you would be killed with kindness. You may wish to take care in this company, however. This isn't the forsaken stretch of land you were spawned on. The only dragons here are those who are capable. Well, those, and the half breeds, at least. Really, just because dragons can breed with almost anything doesn't mean we need to test it. Have a dozen or so, they're useful for scouting anywhere too risky to send offspring... But equals? I have to admit, I'm more than a little amused at the presumption there.

Hollow platitudes and useless dismissals aside, however, I'm interested in knowing why all were summoned here. I suspect it has something to do with the dragons that have gone missing. I can attest to a few blue and brass dragons from my territory, but the nature of the disappearance is unknown to me... and I admit, a little unsettling. Does anyone else have any knowledge that may shed light?
    "

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dunatos looks pretty much like any other pseudodragon, plus the few trinkets he is wearing. The only thing peculiar about him is the fact that he isn't keeping with his own brethren but is flying around the cavern, hovering here and there for a while, gathering scraps of random information, until he decides to stop within earshot of this particular conversation. Right now he is hovering right above Ezzerach.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Information: (1d20+11)[24]
    Bardic Knowledge, just to see if there are some bits of information floating around in Dunatos' mind that might come in handy here. (1d20+21)[29]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The room begins to fall silent. As you look around, you realise that the other dragons have at last ceased filing in. From the assembled Magic Mouths, you hear the sound of a throat being cleared. If you look to the stage you see that Arculos has risen and is stood there, looking out. He goes directly to the point:

"I have grave news for us all. As most of you are aware, some months ago a symbol appeared in the skies over our world, and as it grew some magical powers declined. I can tell you now that this was the symbol of the being known as the Pandorym, the God-Killer. We do not know why the creature awoke at this time, but it was returned to its slumber by a group of humans." The voice ring out in every conceivable language from the Mouths. You can feel a prickle in your minds as if the words are being telepathically communicated as well.

"With its return to dormancy, the Pandorym's influence over this world faded, and the magic returned to normal. It was when the magic returned to normal, that the true crisis began. Dragon-kind is vanishing. One by one, our kinds have begun disappearing. We do not know why. It was after consultation with the Heads of the Clans that I called you all here. We must decide what to do, and how to protect ourselves. We must discover what is becoming of those who vanish, and how we are to retrieve them.

"To this end, I ask you all to go out amongst the humans, to discover if what they know. To find out if it is they who bring this upon us. Dragonspire Peak is to be our fortress in this. It is where I and the Heads of the Clans will reside until this calamity is over, or until it claims us.

"I beg all of you, set aside your differences for this. If we do not resolve this, it may be the death of us all.

"If any of you have information or questions, now is the time for you to ask."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Nahatoran raises his claw.
    "I have a question. Is there a list of the missing individuals?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The feeble kobold immediately speaks up upon the request of questions:
    "I'm afraid that as always, I have many questions.
    Firstly, I have noticed the empty lairs growing in numbers during my travels as well. When I say empty, i mean empty. No skeleton, no scales, no hoard. Since you are the apparent expert on this matter, is this generally the case? Are they all just missing along with any of their possessions, or is there any signs that our kind has been killed?

Secondly, there are plenty here among us who would consider themselves "True Dragons" while the rest of us would be categorized just as lesser beings, such as dragons or dragon-blooded I suppose. Do the cases of those who are missing include all 3 types, or have they been focused at our 'greatest' members, the ones who would call themselves True dragons?

Finally, it has been my experience that the more convenient the coincidence, the more likely there is a correlation. With that in mind, these disappearances take start right after the symbol. To me, that suggests there is a correlation. Do we have any idea how the humans were able to stop the symbol?"

Upon finishing his questions, he removes a silver flask from his pack and take a swig.
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2012-01-21 at 05:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"We are at this time compiling a list of the missing. If you are aware of any of our kind who are not with us and cannot be accounted for, I ask that you bring those names to us. The list will be carved on to the walls of the tunnel in to here.

"All we know of the disappearances at the moment is that they are gone. Whether they are alive or not is unknown at this time. Both they and all their possessions vanish from the world, and we have been unable to find them by any means.

"To the best of our knowledge, all who bear dragon blood are vanishing. Even dragonblooded humans have apparently vanished.

"We agree that the humans are the most obvious starting point. We have not had the time to locate them yet, and as such are unable to determine how they defeated the Pandorym. We suspect that they have at least one powerful magic user accompanying them - strong enough to stop our divinations. We are at work seeking a way around their spells, but it may take some time. In the mean time, we are seeking volunteers to locate these humans. If there are any here who would wish to undertake such an expedition, speak now."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"So be it, consider it spoken then" retorts the old little one. He begins hobbling towards the center.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dunatos started flying from group to to group some time around the first question, taking a closer look at each of them. When the call for volunteers comes he stops and now he is hovering in the middle of the cave, watching everyone with great curiosity.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanras has his suspicions about the involvement of deities and their magic in this course of events, but he had not considered the disappearance of so many dragonkind the result of the intervention of mortals. He would be damned to the Hells before sniveling in his burrow and allowing HUMAN spellcasters to bring his end. They must be found, questioned, and (probably) destroyed.

"I will lend my claw to this task."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"I too will aid this quest. I have spent too long in the Temple of the Platinum. It is time I influenced events, rather than simply observing them."" Anargryos stepped forward, helm still obscuring his face. He did not add that he wished to avenge his mother's disappearence. Arculous would already know Anargryos' reason for coming. The list of vanished dragons included his blessed mother.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ezzerach snorts. "This is what happens when you allow the vermin to breed so much. It's only a matter of time before they muck things up. I suppose, if it must be set right, it would be up to us to do so. Count me in."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"Even though I am reluctant to work with our evil kin it is apparent that this matter is more important. I vow to use all my strength to see this mission successful."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I wish to help," Antwelm says, resuming his normal form, "so if this is our best lead, I will follow it."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Arculos looks around the room slowly, noting all the volunteers as other dragons acknowledge their willingness to search. He nods his immense head slowly.

"So be it. We have had numerous sightings and eyewitness reports as to where they may be. We believe the reports to be accurate, or, at least, those who gave us the reports believe them to be accurate. However, they have been sighted in almost every conceivable part of the world which suggests the reports are in error, or their mages are capable of teleportation and use it frequently.

"I thank you all for your willingness to protect our kind. To minimise the risks, I advise you all to travel together, so that if something is found it is more likely that at least one of you will survive to inform us.

"The humans have been sighted in the highlands of Sanscarr to the far north, the icewastes of Fel'mass to the south, the deserts of A'norr'ae to the west, and even in the elf city of Winholme a hundred miles from here.

"As much as I wish to inform you of the location of the Pandorym's resting place, I cannot in good conscience do so. The presence of so many of our kind at its resting place would attract far too much attention if noticed, and for the sake of all it would be better if the Pandorym were forgotten and lost to all the world.

"You may begin your journeys as soon as you are ready, or you may come to see me or one of the other Heads of Clans. Those who are not travelling, I ask that you remain to defend this place, and those with magical skill join myself and the others in attempting to pierce the shroud laid upon the human group."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Having reached him, and after letting him speak, Salazar tries to have a quiet word with Arculos.

"How much do we know about these Humans? Their past? Names? Appearances? Abilities? Anything?"

To the next volunteer that steps up, the little kobold calmly looks up and casually says in his deep raspy voice:

"Do you have means to teleport yourself? Have you ever been to the highlands of Sanscarr? the icewastes of Fel'mass? or he elf city of Winholme?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ezzerach looks back at Salazar, bemused. "No on all counts, little one. Besides, it seems to be easy enough to get their attention. The humans came to the aid of their own when great danger arose. All we must do is convince them that great danger has arisen again. Then, they will reveal themselves.

Between a half dozen dragons, that shouldn't be too difficult, right?
    "

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Are you serious? We're trying to get the attention of humans powerful enough to stop Pandorym... setting ourselves as monsters that deserve death is a bad idea"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ezzerach's human face contorts into a look of disgust, as she speaks, "Really, now. The humans have one advantage, and that is the same as rabbits and cockroaches. They simply breed, and breed, and sooner or later one stumbles across something that actually lets them pretend at the power that flows through our veins. Their only redeeming virtue is that they craft things pleasing to the eye, and for that, I suffer them to exist in my domain. But I wouldn't trade a the lives of a thousand of those disgusting vermin for one of my sons... And their reckless foolishness has cost me three. For that, there will be a reckoning, and, if I can exact that vengeance whilst seeking the impudent meddling fools that caused this, more the better."