New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Refounding [IC]

At the moment, Imperious is trying very hard to project the image of himself saying,' Why, hello there, how are you? Lovely day for a stroll, isn't it?' to the woman. The fact that he has quite literally already communicated this by more traditional methods, or that he is not achieving anything whatsoever, is not stopping him in the least.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Fearing for his new friend's health, Conner grabs Imperious' shoulders and shakes him gently but firmly.

"Imperious, I don't know what you're doing, but I'm pretty sure it's not working. Also, you're creeping us out."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

" Ah, what? But of course! The omega sine waves released by my cognitive exercises must be flooding the area, slowly driving the rest of you temporarily -mad-. How foolish of me not to realize the danger in trying to extemperanize my mentation! The confusion I'm inflicting on your mindselves must be wretched! My sincerest apologies, I will stop forthwith."

Imperious claps a hand to the shoulder of his caring comrade in arms, " Steady on, Conner. Steady on. I'm sure the brainclouds will pass, in time."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Conner looks at Imperious with something approaching despair in his eyes, though even then he realizes that Imperious will likely mistake this for a look of awe.

Turning to the man and the woman, Conner pleads, "Don't mind us. Just a few mild cases of mental sickness."
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

The man appears to do a double-take, then salutes smartly. "Cerran, the Grey Mage? It IS you! Forgive us, we didn't recognize you. Are you our relief? My men and I," he says with a nod to the woman trailing him, "will be happy to brief you at once." The woman salutes also, a half-step behind.

Any further conversation is momentarily interrupted by the spectacle of Imperious. The man only gives the Aruntar the barest glance, reserving his attention for Cerran, though the woman watches with no small measure of alarm on her face.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cerran the Grey

"At ease, soldier. These days I possess no rank. A briefing would be appreciated - relief from what, exactly?"

Moritheil:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the man and the woman:
    <<In addition, please excuse my travelling companion. His ways are foreign and often strange, but I know him to be an honourable man.>>
    Last edited by Ithandor; 2012-06-22 at 04:28 PM.
    Characters:
    None at present!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

The man looks at the woman, worry creasing his face before he turns back to Cerran.

"Demons are infesting the forest. They have taken over inside and are using ambush tactics on any humanoids who wander too near. For now, we've posted guards at the boundaries to warn off travelers. Even if you aren't here to relieve us, we'd appreciate any help you see fit to give."
    Last edited by moritheil; 2012-06-24 at 03:00 PM.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

" Demons? Did that fellow say demons?," his Grace asks Conner, double-checking that his ears did not deceive him. Having accomplished that fact, he then proceeds without waiting for confirmation and addresses the company of warriors he has already given and then rejected approximately about three dozen names inside of his own head.

" What do you say, lads and laddettes? Seems like a perfect chance to work any kinks out of our modus operandus before any -serious- challenge. Kick the wheels and make sure nothing springs an axle, if you will. Quite a spot of luck for us, actually." Imperious smiles jovially at the prospect of having a chance to demonstrate the martial might of the Aruntar unchained by fear.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ran

"Not to say i don't want to, because i do, but don't we have some business to take care of that's more important?" Ran was using his spear to keep himself up as he leaned, watching the others in mild disinterest as they talked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Continuing to keep the large size active every minute
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

" Ah, but that's the beauty of the thing! We have but merely to continue on our way ( through the forest ) and we'll naturally draw the attention of the foul beasts. We crush them with our crushing crush and snap-poodle-pop the problem is solved!," Imperious crows.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Either Imperious's..."condition" is contagious, or he's actually making sense," says Conner with no small amount of insolence.

"Let's go hunt some demons, Cerran." Conner implores the grey swordsman, as casually as though he were imploring an older sibling to go to a tavern with him.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aer the Raven

Aer grins at Imperious comment. Demon hunting is it then. He has already been stretching for a while so he is as ready for combat as he is going to be. While keeping the pace he looks at those gathered there.

-We might need to take this route on our way back, so clearing it now is not a bad idea. Let's let them ambush them, they'll come to us in their own.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Disgusting, disorderly things," Oro mutters. "Luckily, I came prepared. Mind, if any of you have a means of scouting so we could have at least a few seconds' warning of any attack, I can ensure we fight these things with weapons that strike true against the fiends."

There is a momentary pause, and then she looks around at the group. "And another thing: are any of you aligned with the forces of order? There is magic effective against fiends that could have...unpleasant side effects for any allies who are not as lawful as My Lady would prefer."
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Slaying some demons sounds good for me.
    No problems with law here Oro. Although..."

Says Annabel as she looks meaningfully at Imperious.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cerran the Grey

Cerran listens to each of his companions in turn. Aer had a fair point - currently the group was unharassed and prepared to fight if needs be. Who knows what might be pressing them if they had to retreat this way.

Demons. Memories flashed across Cerran's mind, of the Second Battle and a score of battles from a score of lives.

Bloodshed. That's all they care about. That and their infernal Blood War. Purging them from this land was the responsible course of action.

"We are equipped to deal with these foes, and I'd rather not have them behind us as we venture further into potentially hostile territory... particularly given their history of cooperation with the undead." Turning to the man who had approached them, Cerran continues "I'm sorry, sir, I did not get your name. We will need as much information as possible if we are going to undertake this. First, and foremost, who is leading these demons? They are chaotic, ravenous creatures at the best of times - there must be something keeping them organised and in line. Secondly, do you have an estimate of their numbers?"

Cerran pauses for a moment, and then addresses his comrades. "Oro, I fight now and ever for Order. With regard to strategy, I believe we might be able to surprise the demons at their own game. I can detect the presence and location of any creature within one hundred feet, unless they are shielded by powerful magics or possess no living sentient mind. And if the demons try to get the jump on us via teleportation, we should have warning and time to turn the tables."
    Last edited by Ithandor; 2012-06-25 at 06:16 AM.
    Characters:
    None at present!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

" Laws are shackles on the laissez-faire nature of an honest and advanced society." Imperious sniffs, making his own stance known. " The might of culture is only freed with freedom; as Ladislas the Greater said,' The whole of the law shall be,' Do whatever the hell you feel like, the city is on fire'!' Its a shame that mob did what it did to him, though, now that I mention it."

The topic having seemed to bore him, he asks what he feels is a more topical question than esoteric philosophy. " When the hideous hellbeasts -do- ambush us, how much do we want to put on the guise of 'not having any idea they're there'? That's one of the best parts of turning surprise around, in my oh so humble opinion; stealing the upper hand back from the underhanded underhanders."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"I don't know who this Ladislas the Greater was, but he had his head on straight. I don't need a bunch codes and oaths to do right by others. Sorry if that causes problems, Oro and Cerran, but that's the way it is I'm afraid. I'll try to stay out of your way when the fighting starts, if you want."

18. - Top - End - #138

AssassinGuy

"I'm quite certain I'm capable of keeping you out of the line of fire, as it were, if I start throwing around magic particularly damaging to creatures who have rejected the ways of order," Oro replies dryly.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

" Now now, Knight Oro. Trying to recontextualize the narrative in your favour isn't sporting like; we haven't rejected anything, its order that rejects us! There isn't a place for free-spirits and spirited frees in its lattice to let us do as we please. And, it seems to please us to do so. As we please."

The Aruntar harrumphs, and smiles broadly. " But, more philosophy later, after the demon destroying. Squire Beans! Pre-demonic tea, if you please!"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"No time for tea, Imperious. Those demons won't kill themselves."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

" Tea? Tea? Now that would be splendid, chappy, but there's no time! The demons won't kill themselves, don't you know? " Imperious chortles, and slaps his thigh. There's a moment of reflection, and then he adds...

" Excepting the Blood War. And scheming. And bizarre rituals. Besides those, though, they won't kill themselves!"
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

22. - Top - End - #142

AssassinGuy

"I'm afraid I must agree with Imperious. Chaos contains the seeds of its own dissolution, doubly so if it contains the seeds of evil. Certainly, were we willing to wait long enough, the demons would destroy themselves, or grow bored with their current endeavor and depart. We are deliberately assaulting them only because we do not have the luxury of waiting." She nods to the madman, a half-smile on her lips.
    Drew

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ran

"Chaos is not necessarily self destructive on its own, it only seems that way to you Lawful types, similarly, those sided among the chaotic believe that Law sows the seeds of its own destruction, where order leads one to be predictable and utterly self destructive. I am neither, of course, not that it matters. Shall we set off?"
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"No reason to stay here and talk when we can slay some demons." Says Annabel with a shrug.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aye. We can save the philosophy for when we all old masters with nothing better to do but sit around while throwing out cryptic advice to our students. Let's go."

With that, the young human sets off, intending to take the lead so as to take the first kill of the day.

26. - Top - End - #146

AssassinGuy

Oro pauses, staying near to Cerran. It has become clear that she views the casting of her particular spell as a magical oath, and takes its precepts seriously. If possible, she would ensure her charge take no injury from those who dare approach him. She certainly would not willingly distance herself beyond the spell's range.
    Drew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Imperious whistles a jaunty tune as they stroll merrily along. 'Squire Beans' seems less and less enthused by his newfound job as it becomes more clear that these maniacs (for, to the squire, they are all clearly insane) actually plan on entering a demon-infested wood on purpose. From time to time he can be heard muttering to himself," Ten gold pieces. Ten gold pieces."
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists