Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords OOC II

(and a surge, but who ever runs out of surges?).
    Well you clearly havent been in one of my games lol
    Most of the extended rest happen because one or a few of the character run out of surges.

2. Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkah View Post
    Well you clearly havent been in one of my games lol
    Most of the extended rest happen because one or a few of the character run out of surges.
    Interesting. Must have plenty of leaders. I find that we run out of powers that use surges before we run out of surges, in every game I've played. Closest thing was a PHB-only Paladin that used surges to both attack and lay hands, and even then I never got more than 2 surges away from 0.

I'm interested in how the dynamic will change with Figment and the summons, though. And the 2-second-winds-as-minors that druids get at level 21 also would mean going through them quicker (even more if I ever lay my hands on a walking wounded cloak). But as it stands, we don't run out because we can't access them. One of the reasons for making a summon druid was a better resource use of surges, because they really feel like the one thing that I always have too much of.

Grey Wolf
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    "GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum, there wouldn't have been such speculation."
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

3. Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Since she's prone it'd be best for Medinah to be teleported out of melee range actually. She still has a few ranged attacks she can use, I was thinking Acrid Decay on the two she's cursed, so there's that at least, but it doesn't target a very good defense (Fort) and she gets -2 to attacks for being prone. Still seems like the best option if we want her to attack this round though.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0; Snapdragon; Mordant

Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

4. Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Since she's prone it'd be best for Medinah to be teleported out of melee range actually. She still has a few ranged attacks she can use, I was thinking Acrid Decay on the two she's cursed, so there's that at least, but it doesn't target a very good defense (Fort) and she gets -2 to attacks for being prone. Still seems like the best option if we want her to attack this round though.
    Away from books, so can't check, but is the -2 to attack RAW? I recall prone means you grant CA to melee and get +2 to defences from ranged, but I don't remember any negatives to ranged attack. I'd expect a guy laying on the ground shooting (with, say, a crossbow) at targets would have better aim, not worse.

In any case, if acid decay is an encounter power, I'd say go for it, if the choice is between that and not doing anything at all this turn.

Grey Wolf
    "GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum, there wouldn't have been such speculation."

5. Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah the -2 to attacks is RAW. I think it makes sense for melee attacks to get a penalty since you can't put the full effort into your swing, but I agree with you that ranged--or at least anything that's not a bow attack (but not a crossbow)--shouldn't necessarily be penalized.

But yeah, Acrid Decay is an encounter power. I won't be able to take my turn until later today though, but that's most likely what I'll use.

6. Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

But yeah, Acrid Decay is an encounter power. I won't be able to take my turn until later today though, but that's most likely what I'll use.
    I feel your pain. My own turn was an undignified crawl to get close enough to a target - I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.

GW

7. Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Interesting. Must have plenty of leaders. I find that we run out of powers that use surges before we run out of surges, in every game I've played. Closest thing was a PHB-only Paladin that used surges to both attack and lay hands, and even then I never got more than 2 surges away from 0.

I'm interested in how the dynamic will change with Figment and the summons, though. And the 2-second-winds-as-minors that druids get at level 21 also would mean going through them quicker (even more if I ever lay my hands on a walking wounded cloak). But as it stands, we don't run out because we can't access them. One of the reasons for making a summon druid was a better resource use of surges, because they really feel like the one thing that I always have too much of.

Grey Wolf
    Well it is more they have plenty of encounters.
    I am not saying every day they are drained of their surges, but their combat day usually have more than one encounter.
    I've found a long time ago that if you want to challenge the players, you need to plan at least 3-5 encounters before their rest to force them to manage their resources. Otherwise, well they simply go nova (use all their dailies and stuff and the combat arent really challenging).
    Note that I am not saying that I never do 1 or 2 combat days (and there is a lot of 0 combat days too), but in my experience, if you dont pressure the players, they start using it all in the first two encounter and simply do the 5 minute workday thing.
    Also, they rarely hit 0 surge (so you are kinda right- but it still happens), but it happens and they learned to manage the surge well knowing I can challenge them at any time with a surprise encounter.

8. Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Well it is more they have plenty of encounters.
    I am not saying every day they are drained of their surges, but their combat day usually have more than one encounter.
    I've found a long time ago that if you want to challenge the players, you need to plan at least 3-5 encounters before their rest to force them to manage their resources. Otherwise, well they simply go nova (use all their dailies and stuff and the combat arent really challenging).
    Note that I am not saying that I never do 1 or 2 combat days (and there is a lot of 0 combat days too), but in my experience, if you dont pressure the players, they start using it all in the first two encounter and simply do the 5 minute workday thing.
    Also, they rarely hit 0 surge (so you are kinda right- but it still happens), but it happens and they learned to manage the surge well knowing I can challenge them at any time with a surprise encounter.
    Fair enough. I suspect that the other major difference between our experiences is the level of the parties. This game is the highest level I've played, with 3 dailies per head. I normally play low-level games (1-3) where you only have 1 daily, so most of your concerns above don't apply. Dailies are saved for bosses and/or hard spots.

Grey Wolf

9. Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Actually no, I am a low level player/DM as well.
    It might well simply come from the crew of players I had when I switched to 4.0 (and my own personnal DM/player style too).
    At first, the players were very agressive on any encounters and wanted to rest a lot (when it isnt really logical because their dailies had been used).
    I kinda taught them (sometimes the hard way) to manage it.
    This game is actually the first one I play at Paragon.

I only have one other game that reached level 15 (as DM), and they played all the way form 1 to 15.

But you are not the first one to tell me that healing surge isnt the problem usually. I guess I have a different intake on this as I usually use HS to evaluate what my players can and cannot do. And I usually played witha friend like that... I guess the way the DM plan his things also can affect this percpetion.

10. Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Where it gets really nasty is when the monsters deal damage in healing surges. Chambers seems to be a fan of those.

11. Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Where it gets really nasty is when the monsters deal damage in healing surges. Chambers seems to be a fan of those.
    Hey, you open your psyche to a city-size sinkhole of evil, it's gonna sting a bit.

And Undead too. If they can't suck your life-essence from you while you're still living they don't deserve the title.

Edit: ...although you may be right. I have run Revenge of the Iron Lich twice and generally seem to enjoy it more than the players.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-07-25 at 02:27 PM.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

12. Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

In case it becomes relevant at any point, creatures that lack a full complement of actions cannot delay their turn, and those incapable of off-turn actions cannot ready actions. Therefore, dazed prevents both delaying and action-readying. This is one of the player downsides of playing with real initiative instead of group initiative.

Also, I would not just casually dismiss the expenditure of surges. Even Rahman with his Energy Conservation is not immune to a long adventuring day, and this one is just beginning .
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Thanks to Arokh for all the wonderful avatars! May his computer never crash and his mouse arm never cramp!

13. Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Dear god, why cant I rolled like in my DM thread!!.... crappy rolls again... maybe I hit ID3... I hope...

I moved Kihtsah in melee range so he can attack.
    I turned Medinah Invisible and moved her to a safer spot (giving you time to recover - and I dont think you will be targeted there... I could had send you closer to battle, but you might have been targeted by some burst/Blast.)

14. Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, that will surely help. I have a plan for next round, provided Medinah doesn't again get dazed or stunned or DM knows what.

15. Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Shadow, I forgot a +1 on my attack rool.... so it is 24 and 29 VS Fort.

16. Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Expect the enemy turns tomorrow evening, along with a map update.

Its a good thing you had that +1, Dekkah. Made one of those into a hit that would have been a miss .
    My Homebrew
    Thanks to Arokh for all the wonderful avatars! May his computer never crash and his mouse arm never cramp!

17. Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Hurray for that +1 forgotten bonus!

Lol...

18. Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Since a lot of movement happened this turn, I'm going to just assume that the target were legal this round, Chambers, but are you using Static Charge as a burst, or a blast? I'm trying to figure out how, even with Resonating Thunder, you'd hit both dragons with a Blast 4...
    My Homebrew

19. Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Since a lot of movement happened this turn, I'm going to just assume that the target were legal this round, Chambers, but are you using Static Charge as a burst, or a blast? I'm trying to figure out how, even with Resonating Thunder, you'd hit both dragons with a Blast 4...
    ::facepalm::

I read it as a burst. Wishful thinking. Coulda sworn it was a burst. Sorry about that.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

20. Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

No issue. I won't count it against you in this encounter (too much bookkeeping involved in changing that), just keep in mind the shape of the spell for future rounds.

Also, you do know that it does not include CHA damage, right? The CHA damage jumps to an adjacent enemy instead, so this should be doing less damage than your Bolt.
    My Homebrew

21. Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    No issue. I won't count it against you in this encounter (too much bookkeeping involved in changing that), just keep in mind the shape of the spell for future rounds.

Also, you do know that it does not include CHA damage, right? The CHA damage jumps to an adjacent enemy instead, so this should be doing less damage than your Bolt.
    I...was not aware of that. Got so used to everything adding ability modifier damage.

22. Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Question on the dragon who fled: how many squares off the board is he, and what kind of cover is he getting from the trees, if any?

23. Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

You're not sure, since it rounded the corner after passing the tree. You have no LoS or LoE to it.
    My Homebrew

24. Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Rahman is Dazed, so he can't enforce his Aegis. Jalil takes an extra 16 damage.
    My Homebrew

25. Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool. So from 13 temp, she takes a total of 22 damage (she resists the 6 lightning) which is reduced to 9 damage. Should be at 92/101, 0 Temp after the dragons turn.

26. Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Just to let you know that if someone get hit for more than 11 damages by ID1, I'll use Chord of resilience to reduce the damage by 11 (immediate interrupt)

27. Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to let you know that if someone get hit for more than 11 damages by ID1, I'll use Chord of resilience to reduce the damage by 11 (immediate interrupt)
    Not sure which dragon hit her, but if you can use it on Jalil that'd help conserve healing surges (by manner of her not needing to spend one).

28. Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Not sure which dragon hit her, but if you can use it on Jalil that'd help conserve healing surges (by manner of her not needing to spend one).
    ID1 didn't attack you in the last update - its turn if after Rahman's, who is next. I'm keeping it locked in place, although I suspect my damage output is low, since I probably missed my main attack.

Grey Wolf

29. Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Chambers :
    I am not sure if Shadow would accept that I reactivly use my power (Chord of resilliance) to save you some damage.... more so that it isnt really my first idea.
    I dont mind doing it if Shadow judge it is ok though.

30. Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Chambers :
    I am not sure if Shadow would accept that I reactivly use my power (Chord of resilliance) to save you some damage.... more so that it isnt really my first idea.
    I dont mind doing it if Shadow judge it is ok though.
    Doesn't that power only work if ID1 attacked Kalil? It was iD2.
    My Homebrew