New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Dowrenland - Emeralds & Roses

The rainy season had come, at last, to the city of Irrorab Wall. The town was so named because of the remains of a wall just outside of the city proper that was left from another time, when this land was ravaged by warring nations. It lay mostly in ruins now, and it was said that the stones of the wall fell from their settings almost as often as the rain from the sky. Over the course of today, however, the weather turned strange and terrible, forcing everyone indoors. The rains were especially heavy today, the winds were shifting their direction, and the sky had taken on a slightly yellow-green coloration. There has even been mention that Sasnak, the nearest town of notable size, was devastated by tornadoes the day before last.

All of you, by one road or another, have ended up at the Little Black Dog - a tavern and inn of modest comfort and affordability. It also seemed to be one of the more popular gathering places for the locals to come and drink away their dreary day. There was a very strange-looking creature, appearing more insect than man, performing on the stage for coin. If the notion struck you, you might even have a few drinks in your belly already.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-05-31 at 07:24 PM.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Dowrenland - Emeralds & Roses

Nathaniel sits at a table, regarding his drink skeptically and with no small amount of trepidation. Sighing and putting it down, he looks up to watch the performance and see if there's anyone interesting sitting around the bar.
    Last edited by St. Justicar; 2012-05-31 at 07:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica sits at a table in a corner, looking around and wondering how she's going to find a group of travelers that need a healer. I wonder if I should just go around and ask people...
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-05-31 at 08:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Timble was digging into his order of well-charred boar ribs with a side of honeycakes, when the insect-man's performance drew his attention. He never seen anything like it back in Woodburrow. He opened his mouth in amazement, and forgot to close it for slightly longer than is appropriate. Well, I don't want to look too amazed, he thought, forcing himself to return to his food. Or else all those seasoned adventurers will think I'm a newbie.

He chewed some more, then surveyed the audience gathered around.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Blind-to-rivers stands against a wall, arms folded. Having no need for civilization to provide him food or shelter, he went about his business of carefully observing the people around him, attempting to pick up news of important happenings by listening to conversations. The strange creature on stage was one thing he pinned for further investigation.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, the humble tavern. This was where adventures always started in books, after all - what better place to find companions?

Well, that, and Alessia was getting sick of trail rations. A nice bowl of stew steams in front of her as she gazes around...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7

Most of the people were discussing the bizarre weather, and the travesty it had apparently caused in the neighboring town of Sasnak. People told of a brother's house that was picked up and dropped in a radish field or of a daughter's experience of hiding in a root cellar, only to emerge and find nothing but bare earth around her. Another tale about a tree that had stood for a hundred years... another about a horse that had broken it's leg and had to be put down. It seemed as though it was all that these people could talk about.

The night had waned a bit, and most of the folk had either gone home, adjourned to their rooms, or passed out here in the common room. There were only a handful left... and it seemed to be mostly outsiders that remained.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib had been playing for this crowd for some time, as was usual of a bard. His song had been a cheerful song, trying to alter the mood of the tavern. Talk about deaths and disasters, that was no fun.

When everyone began to leave or pass out, save for a handful, he kept on playing but was intending to finish soon and get some rest himself. Maybe even get paid by the barkeep. That way, I'll actually get a room. That thought brought a smile to his face.

Perform: (1d20+8)[10] (Meh, a mundane performance, according to the PH.)
    (I always do a perform roll whenever my bards play.)
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-06-01 at 10:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

The barkeep had thrown one last log into the hearth and dropped a small purse at the feet of the small bard before he too wandered off to his bed. The strange creature had done a decent enough job of it... trying to rouse the spirits of the local population. But it appeared that they were having none of it, and least not tonight. About the time that you each were deciding to call it a night, something interesting happened indeed.

The bard suddenly stood up, went rigid and dropped his instrument. And then, in a voice that was most certainly not his own, he said:

"Amid the blackest day, you will see the whitest of men.
    Let his path show you the way which you do not see.
    The journey towards peace begins by looking into thyself."

With this, he slumps back down onto the section of up-turned log he had been seated on as a stool. His posture relaxes and he shakes his head a few times.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-01 at 12:07 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia herself goes rigid at about the same time as the insectoid bard does - although she does it out of surprise more than anything else. Was that... normal for his kind? Random prophecy? She must admit to having heard very little about the insectoid races...

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

With his attention grabbed by the bards sudden collapse, Nathaniel rushes up to him and grabs him, saying "what in the hells just happened?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

At the sound of the voice, Jessica quickly reaches in her pack and pulls out her pen and pile of blank paper. She writes down what the bard said, and stands up. Putting the pen and paper back and grabbing the symbol of Pelor around her neck, she walks over to the man and puts her free hand on his shoulder.

"Are you okay, friend?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flying houses and ancient trees ... could be quite an adventure to fly, Timble reckons, sucking on a meaty rib. The performer's ominous prophecy and strange collapse pique his curiosity. He starts making his way toward the stage to get a better look, barely able to push his way amid the big folk. He still carries with him the rib in his right hand and a honeycake in his left, because no sense in letting good food waste.

14. - Top - End - #14

Blind-to-rivers takes in the message thoughtfully as he walks toward the bard with the others to investigate. He then offers up his best interpretation. Though he hasn't yet explored much of the world, there were plenty of trickster fey in the forest he used to live in.

"He looked possessed by spirits. I'm no druid, but they sounded like they were warning us of some kind of danger, and of someone who would save us from it. Personally, I don't trust spirits."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Could have been a demon," comes the voice of Alessia, from her table. She hasn't gotten up yet. "Or an angel. Or a god. Or something stranger. There's lots of things that can possess a person."

She knows this from experience. As she stands up, she winces a little bit, rubbing at an apparent sore spot on her left leg.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib looked around at all the attention he was getting, something he had gotten used to. He reached down and grabbed the purse of coins, which he latched onto his waist to act as a coin purse, but not before counting the coins out. When he was finished with that, he looked at the others. "No idea what happened, but yea, I'm fine." He picks his lyre back up and made sure that it wasn't damaged before cracking his back and looking at the people again. "Could also have been another person. Magic can do stuff like that. I'm just disappointed it stopped my playing, could'a been a much better sounding prophecy if it had music as well." He looks out of the room, though a window, to see how dark the day is, seeing that the prophecy had told of the 'blackest day', which this could very well be due to the storm. While doing so, he asks, "So, who are you all?"
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-06-01 at 01:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica, glad the strange man is unharmed, releases her grasp on her holy symbol as well as the man's shoulder.

"I am Jessica, a cleric of Pelor. And who are you?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

somewhat surprised by the question, Nathaniel replies "I am Nathaniel, trueborn son of the well-respected Blackfyre faimily".

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia stiffens at the words 'Cleric of Pelor'. She wheels around towards Jessica, and strides over to her. "Did my parents send you?" She sounds... annoyed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am called Timble." The hobbit intruduces himself, then stretches out his hand in offering, "Honeycakes, anyone? They're quite good."

21. - Top - End - #21

Ignoring the superfluous banter, letting the others sort that out for themselves, Blind-to-rivers speaks directly to the bard. "I'm Blind-to-rivers. And I don't know much about spirits, but whether it's pixies or demons, you should be kept under watch until someone figures out what's going on."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica turns towards the human who addressed her, and laughs lightly at the question.

"Fear not, no one has sent me to find you. I don't even know who you are."

She turns to the hobbit, "I would like one, please. They are one of my favorites."

And finally to Blind-to-rivers. "I do not think he needs to be kept under watch, but I do believe it would be wise to figure out what is wrong."

She turns to address the group, "I believe we were brought here together for a reason. Perhaps we are meant to find out what this means?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Knowledge (noblity) and Lore on Nathaniel:
    Knowledge: (1d20+3)[10]
    Lore: (1d20+3)[19]

23. - Top - End - #23

There is a distant clap of rolling thunder somewhere off in the night and the rain begins to pour down once more. The hearthfire was nearly spent, leaving little more than the glowing orange coals that resembled a smith's forge. The last candle was almost a stub, not unlike a hobbit in its current state - short and squat-looking. The spirits were tucked tidily away in the ale cupboard for the night and any food that remained was beyond cold by now.

Several of you realize that the thought of sleep has crept up upon you, despite this most recent of happenings.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Shrub takes one of the honeycakes gladly, taking any and all forms of free food gladly. He turns to Jessica, "Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps we are destined to fight a ferocious dragon, like the great heroes of old, or maybe to die in the hands of goblins, but nobody likes hearing that." With that, he yawns. Great. I get paid handsomely, but the innkeeper goes to sleep. Guess I'll pay in the morning.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"...My name is Alessia du Chumleigh," Alessia says, after a few moments. "I'm going to bed." And she does just that! Limping a little every now and then...

Jessica might recognise the name 'Chumleigh'. Maybe.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nathaniel can't help yawning as he suddenly feels drowsy. Realizing he hadn't rented a room, he simply leans on the table and rests his head on his crossed arms. Unless there's something loud to wake him, he drifts off within moments.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Timble take a last bite off the rib, and dusts off the crumbs from his traveling jacket. As a polite and well-educated hobbit, he takes care to shield his mouth with the back of his hand when the desire to yawn overtakes him.

"Well, there goes my first day in Irrorab Wall. We'll see what the second will bring. Innkeep, a humble room for the night, if you will?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Timble, was it? He's already gone to sleep."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"His loss. I'll just place myself here by the fire then."

Timble unpacks his burlap traveling bag and tosses a bedroll on the floor before the hearth.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib nodded and headed towards one of the rooms that were still empty. He intended to pay for the room the following morning. He went into the room and went to sleep.

If there are no open rooms, then Skrib looks at the hearth and goes over to it to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show