New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default IC Toes in the Water

Toes in the Water

Prologue

It was the 5th day in the 3rd tenday of Mirtul, the temperatures were already warming foreshadowing an unseasonably hot summer to come. With the unseasonably warm weather people were already shedding the traditional thick clothing of people accustomed to many cold months.

Nearing the outskirts of Hillsfar the the sun in its apex a band of unlikely adventurers nears the outskirts of the bustling trade city. Outside the walls of the city a bustling of commerce was already in full swing with a great plethora of races taking part for none would be allowed within the walls. Hillsfar has two concrete laws, Respect fair trade and only Humans shall be allowed in Hillsfar.

Tents, wagons, and carts filled with those wishing to sell their wares from fine silks, to weapons and armors of all makes, to those necessary provisions that none can live without. In between the cracks of sprawling commerce the poverty and despair that affects those who live outside the cities is evident. Though the wares may be sold here to those that cannot enter, it is obvious that those selling these wares are not wealthy enough to live beyond their basic necessities. There are a few humans traveling from gates, some are traveling, others appear to own the wares that are being sold, and everyone of them looks more well off that those around them.

This is the sight the welcomes a group of adventures to Hillsfar. A party of five, three human women of young ages flanked by a stout dwarf and willey gnome. What lies in store for this party of adventures...

Spoiler
    Show

OOC Thread
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post13483291

Ok, please post a detailed description of your characters(physical, dress, mannerisms etc). You can use this prologue to roleplay your purchasing of wares, etc. I'll also use it to supply the necessary information to get the adventure started. You can rest the night in an Inn called called the Bedded Mare outside of the city. It is here you will see a request for aid for a small town. It is also during this RP that the group will encounter Valen. Then you will take a small ship across the Moonsea to Melvaunt and travel towards the small ton of Linwood which lies about ~25miles north of Hulberg and southwest of Glister ~35miles along the Galena Mountains..

During the prologue there is no need for rolls, just try and keep things in the realm of possible. Obviously, you can't be stealing things, acquiring wealth, etc that isn't included in the 1000gp that you started with.

Lets have fun, and ask any questions you need in the OOC thread.

I ask that all OOC comments, rolls, or explanation of actions take place in Spoiler Tags. Feel free to be descriptive of how your actions play out, if there ever is a problem we can edit it.

In reference to general posting

If is perfectly ok to state an action in a spoiler with a roll, look at the result and then describe how it takes place. I will be supplying the base AC of the enemies you will be fighting so you can determine if you hit or not. I'll probably be listing their HP as well. I think that will work better for PBP then having to wait for me every action.

for example posting only

(Spoiler)
    Attack goblin 1 (roll)14+3 = 17 vs AC 15
    Crit Confirm (roll)
    Damage (roll) 8+2 = 10 vs HP 5
    (Spoiler)

and going back to edit your post into something like this

With a howl of pure joy, Ken slide his trusted long sword masterfully through the poor goblin's throat, right past its meager attempt to defend itself with its buckler. With a quick retraction of his bloody blade Ken turns to face his next victim; a look of pure adrenaline fueled ecstasy on his face.

(Spoiler)
    his rolls
    (Spoiler)

As to perception, search, and spot rolls. Please declare when you are using them, if you don't I may well do it for you. It will be located in a Spoiler tag. If I haven't seen a post from someone in 24 hours and it is their action, especially in combat I will post a simple action or delay their action for them. It won't ever be anything stupid, but will keep things moving. If there are problems with the actions I take on part of the player, we'll find a way to work it out to everyone's satisfaction.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-08 at 04:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC Toes in the Water

Natalia walks beside Mithril, barely reaching up to the wizard's chin. She readjusts her black hair, tying it back into a ponytail before sadly looking at her beloved leather coat. It had served her well but was finally ruined in the last battle before they escaped; one of the short flared "tails" had been ripped off and the other was noticeably charred. Still, she loved the design and hoped to find its equivalent in the city. At least her bracelet and weapons were unharmed.

"Supply run. Can't split a crossbow among three," she says with a smile to Miriam and Mithril while stating the obvious.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-01 at 04:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Mithril smiled back at Natalia. She never expected the girl to end up saving her life when they first met, it was amazing how a simple journey could turn into such an adventure. She felt Whiskers nuzzling into the back of her shirt, tired out from the journey to the city. No-one would be able to notice him there, his reddish-brown fur blended in with her hair. "You're right, I do need something for when the glass is empty." She laughed a little then winced, years in the city studying indoors had not prepared her for the sun. Even though the group had spent little time outdoors, she could already see the sunburn glowing on her arms.

4. - Top - End - #4

"Magic for all, more cups means less being emptied," she says cheerfully, coiling her smooth silk rope around Mithril's pale arms to shield them from the sun. Natalia then frowns when she remembers that the city wouldn't allow Kurt and Shiny within their walls. She mutters, "Foolish humans," under her breath, thankful that the ones who taught her everything about traps were a halfling and a kobold. "Bored with everything monotone, though they'll never know it."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-01 at 11:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt smiles a bit at their interaction, before looking ahead with a scowl. This town wasn't where he had hoped to end up but their adventure had left them with little choice but to try and restock quickly - this place was the only nearby town they could get to.

"Maybe we can get something to make you lasses sturdier, too, eh?" His axe, of course, hidden nicely away.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam, her black hair floating in the wind looks at the circular wall of Hillsfar with her azure blue eyes.
    "I do not like but it is fair punished for what we did. This place is not a good place. Calric told me about it. They do not like anyone. They do not like non-humans, they do not like anyone who disagree with their rulers, basically they only like themselves. I was told they have a gladiatorial arena where people they don't like ends up. I think we get what we need and then we leave this place ...."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

7. - Top - End - #7

Natalia pales when Miriam mentions the gladiatorial arena. That was one place she definitely didn't want to end up. Still, she wanted to get back at this place in her own sneaky way. Natalia looks at the rest of the group, grins at the dwarf and gnome, and says, "Shiny and Kurt, right under their noses?" If nothing else, Shiny would love the idea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks frightened at Natalia's idea "Natalia, did you smoke lotus leaves? We cannot do that. They cannot take that risk. They could lose their lives. I will not be able to protect them. Let's get what we want and let's leave...."

With begging eyes, she adds ".... please .... "
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Natalia sighs and looks to Shiny and Kurt. Of course Miriam was right. "Your choice. Disguise and fool, or not?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-02 at 04:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

As the group advances a small gnomish boy approaches Mirium, his hands outstretched. His cloths ragged, his skin covered in dirt, "Copper for... food?" his lip quivered.

Looking past the boy to the left the group youncan see other boys and girls of varying races grouped together in the shade, all as dirty and hungry looking as this one.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam sees the poor kids and immediately her heart melt.

She tells the boys "bring you friends. I will not give you copper but will create great food out of bad food."

She kneels and tells them. "Find me some food from the garbage and I will turn it into a delicious meal."

She is fighting a tears and is slowly choking, thinking 'Calric, is that the right thing to do?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Miriam is planning into using her Purify food and Drink spell
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Staring at the group of starving children, forced outside of the walls simply because they weren't human, Natalia suppresses a snarl and instead shoves her hand into her pocket. She's about to drop the money into the child's hands when Miriam speaks.

"...She will cure you like us," Natalia says to the child.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-02 at 09:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Natalia leans over to Miriam and asks, "You can make something out of little, but something out of nothing?"

14. - Top - End - #14

The boy looks at Natalia, then up at Miriam, his eyes like saucers, "But why would someone throw away food?"
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-03 at 07:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Natalia can't respond with anything but a shrug. "...Don't need it all."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at Natalia 'I am not strong enough to create something out of nothing. This is the type of magic Mithril and the Shining Liar can do. All I can do is purify the spoiled food.'

She turns toward the boy 'Because some people are wasteful or buy too much food and it spoils ...."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Natalia actually laughs loudly as Miriam gives Shiny a new title.

"Magic grows with time, right?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-03 at 07:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

'Yes Sister. The more you practice your magic, the more things you can have magic do. Same with tinkering. You more you tinker, the more complex the tinkering traps you can create. You are really smart, Natalia. Never forget that."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

The child's plight has obviously touched Mirian's heart. As the group of children see her heartfelt response they all seem to move towards the group of woman, each bemoaning their circumstance and pleading with empty bellies. One small half ellen girl, her ear tips covered in dirt, approaches Natalia in pleading. She can't be more than 6 years old.

20. - Top - End - #20

This one certainly confuses Natalia. "But...half-elf means half-human...Your parents?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam's eyes are getting teary and it is getting hard for her to speak.

She waves to all the children. 'Let's ... go .... on a hunt for scraps ....and ... tell me ... your stories .... where are you parents? siblings? Why are you here?"

If Miriam cannot have quick access to spoiled food, she will pull out her rations from her backpack and will distribute them in an orderly manners (if possible).
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Natalia looks over at Mithril, who is also visibly upset. Nodding to the wizard and motioning to her bag, she pulls the last of her rations out of her backpack and gives them to Miriam.

"Then resupply," she says to Miriam. "Shiny is...entertaining?"

Natalia wants to help these kids out too. But she doesn't want to become the impromptu head of an orphanage. And yet some of these children are so young...
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-03 at 08:21 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at Natalia, Mithril then Kurt and finally Shiny.

'We cannot take them on right now. We have to help them but we are limited in what we can do. We need to find out what their story is. I will ask if there is a Church of St. Cuthbert around but I doubt it.....'

She stops and thinks for a while before saying 'may be it is St. Cuthbert wish for me, to set up an orphanage in Calric's name. I will pray for clarification tonight. In the meantime, let's see if any of these children need healing."

Miriam will heal (using the heal skills) any children that need it.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Natalia smiles at that. She's not exactly the maternal type but she certainly sympathizes. "A good goal."

25. - Top - End - #25

More and more children gather round till there are nearly a dozen of them. Amazed the children look with eyes wide as the party pulls out their aging traveling rations, enough for twice as many children as we're present. Shocked gazes from passerbys as Miriam prayed to St. Cuthbert purifying and blessing their feast, healing the children's wounds, and ultimately showing them a level of kindness they hadn't seen since they possessed a caring parent. A few adults of varying races stopped to thank the group of adventurers for their kindness. Others, mostly human looked on in disgust.

Another child, a rather unfortunately ugly half Orc who favored his father, looked Kurt squarely in the eyes and wispered in a voice far to gruff for a child of four, "Thrank ru!" as Kurt passed his rations to Miriam.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam's shakes her head at the disgusted look she gets from the humans.

"I will never understand how people can hate because of appearances .... " she tells the group.

She turns to the group of children 'Now boys and girls, listen to me ... My friends are I are not going to stay for a long time but we promise we will be back ... We will be looking if we can find you a place where you will feel safe and will not go hungry. In the mean time, pray to St. Cuthbert to give me strength and bring me luck. If you not sure how, just listen to your heart."

She rubs the head of the half-orc child "eat. You need to grow strong to protect the innocents and the poors....."
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

The little half elf girl whispers, "Momma made the same promise..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam's heart melts and she gives a huge hug to the little half-elf girl.

'I know, sweetie, I know. And your momma meant it. May be she is looking for her way back. I promise, no I swear on St. Cuthbert that I will do everything I can do to come back and provide you a home." She raises her holy symbol and kisses it.

"Now you need to make me a promise that you will stay as a group and help each other and be like a family until I come back. You need to know that you have each other and that although they are bad people out there, there are also good people ready to help you. Now, who is ready to hear the most amazing story they ever heard?"

She looks toward Shiny, hoping the imaginative gnome gets the cue.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Natalia stays silent, as Miriam can communicate to the children much better than she could hope to. She glares at the humans but wisely stays silent. There's no hope for those types. However, she does correct Miriam and says, "We. We'll be back."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the young rogue with tears in her eyes and whispers "thank you Natalia ..."
    Spoiler
    Show