New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dowrenland - Emeralds & Roses

Skrib shook his head. "We don't even know who the Red Queen is. We're from [...]. Who is this Red Queen?"

(Put in the name of the normal world with the [...].)
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

The human becomes worried even further at this information. He finally speaks, addressing his concern towards the rabbit.

"Enya, you brought outsiders... here?!"

The rabbit stammers, "No... I mean... yes... I mean... I suppose so. Although I don't understand how; the mirror was scheduled to be destroyed mere moments after I went through!"

"Do you have any idea what happened the last time that outsiders came into..."

The human stops, abruptly in mid-sentence, and his entire demeanor changes before your very eyes. His posture shifts and he no longer appears to be worried or concerned at all. He continues to speak, in quite a different tone.

"Ahh... more guests for the party, I see! How wonderful!"

He then heads over to the table and begins bustling about and adjusting all of the items found there. The rabbit, meanwhile, shakes his head solemnly at this. The human begins pulling chairs out before seating himself at the head of the table and clapping his hands merrily.

"Do sit, do sit. Oh, simply marvelous! I do so love a party."

He stops, again, with a shocked look upon his face.

"Oh dear, how rude of me! How could I possibly have forgotten?! Introductions! I am Hatta Haigha. And the one standing over there, all grim and pale, is my cousin, Enya Tapuk!"

He stands and bows deeply, removing his helmet as he does so... before replacing it. The white rabbit rolls his eyes and bows as well.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-18 at 12:06 PM.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia stands stock still, still garbed in her stunningly white armour. "...I don't like this," she mutters, after a moment. She doesn't make a move, though...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

"That makes two of us." Skrib returns the bow and introduces himself, "I am Skrib Adanech." While doing so, he tries to determine if something is wrong. "So what happened last time that outsiders came here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[16] (DC 20 for a hunch.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This use of the skill involves making a gut assessment of the social situation. You can get the feeling from another’s behavior that something is wrong, such as when you’re talking to an impostor. Alternatively, you can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"And three of us." Jessica whispers. Turning to the strange man, she introduces herself.

"I am Jessica, a cleric of Pelor. Where is this place? And who is this Red Queen?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore about the Red Queen, just in case:
    (1d20+3)[4]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, my name is Timble, and I do love a party." The hobbit seats himself at the table without need for further coaxing. "Do you have honeycakes?"

7. - Top - End - #127

Spoiler
    Show

Skrib: You sense that the one called Enya is nervous and anxious, and that your question makes him even more so. The man called Hatta, however, does not seem to have any hidden agenda or stifled emotion; he seems to be genuinely pleased and very happy.

Jessica: You have never heard of such a person. You haven't the first idea of what he is talking about.

The white rabbit checks a small hourglass that hangs from his neck, and then looks off into the distance. When your eyes follow his, you see a large tower rising above the hedges, some ways off. Atop this large tower, you see another hourglass and are quite surprised that you have no trouble seeing that it has nearly finished its course. The rabbit sighs, despite this, and takes a seat at the long table, opposite Timble.

The human beams and replies to you each.

"How do you do?"

He then takes his seat once more and looks expectantly at those who have not sat yet before addressing the questions put to him. As he answers the questions, the white rabbit reaches across the table and opens the cover on a large, but flat dish near Timble. From beneath the lid comes a multi-layered cake, much taller than the cover should have contained; and with the sight of such a thing, the smell of warm honey wafts its way to the hobbit's nose.

"You mean to tell me that you have never heard of the Red Queen?! Most unusual... most unusual indeed! But on to finer points. This place, my dear Lady Jessica, is my home - Haigha House. Although, it does seem to be in some manner of disrepair. Hmm..."

He looks saddened, for just a moment. And then you see another shift in his posture... once again signaling a change in his demeanor and tone. When he looks up, he seems very frightened.

"Run! All of you. Run for you lives and don't look back!"

Now he looks up to the Clock Tower and lets out a pitiful whining moan. He then shoots his gaze in the direction of the white rabbit.

"He'll be here soon! Enya... you must take them from here. Lead them through the maze and away from here before it's too late!"

The rabbit, who has not changed his mood at all, takes a large drink from his tankard. Though still nervous, he doesn't seem worried by this sudden outburst.

"We will be leaving soon enough, Hatta. Believe you me, I do not plan on being here when he arrives."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia frowns behind the visor of her gleaming white helm. She doesn't like this. Not one bit. There's a soft clattering sound as she turns her head to regard the tower and its hourglass...

She then looks towards the table, and walks on over to it, placing one foot on the table next to Timble.

She then slams her morningstar down on the table. "You are going to explain. Now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-06-19 at 03:50 PM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #129

Both of them visibly jump as you do so, as well as a couple of your party members more than likely. The rabbit wrinkles his nose up in Alessia's direction before turning towards the rest of the group.

"What a rude person!"

Hatta grasps the edge of the table with both hands as the color rises in his face. You see the veins pop out on either side of his neck and his eyes bulge even further. He seems as though he might shift again, and Enya becomes very worried by this. The rabbit actually stands and makes his way towards the entrance to the hedge maze. Just before he enters, however, the human closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, replying:

"It's alright, Enya. He's still in check... for now."

The human glares in Alessia's direction. When he speaks, he does so through gritted teeth. Though he trembles from the sudden scare of the outburst, he speaks with conviction and purpose.

"If you would kindly remove your weapon from my table and sit down, madam. I am not sure how things are conducted wherever it is that you are from but in certain circles here in Dowrenland, such manners would result in a loss of your head."

After a moment, he regains more of his composure and continues.

"Now. If you would be so kind as to further explain yourself, seeing as it is you who is trespassing upon my home. Then I would gladly answer any questions you might have... when they are asked in a suitable tone."

You see his eyes drift off towards the Clock Tower once again, and then to Enya.

"In a timely manner, of course."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia glowers from behind her visor for a while - good job her face is covered, really - before sitting down next to Timble. She picks up her morningstar, then sets it in her lap. And, once again, her armour seems to peel itself from her body and vanish into the aether.

"...My apologies. My emotions sometimes get the better of me," she says, calmly - any trace of anger seems to have vanished away just like her armour. "...Allow me to properly introduce myself. I am Alessia du Chumleigh, daughter of High Priest Alastor of the City of Chumleigh. My father serves Pelor, as out priestly friend here does."

Alessia pauses for a few moments before continuing. "We honestly have no idea why we came to this place. We would appreciate an explanation, although I fear my actions may have... soured things, somewhat. My apologies, again."

Spoiler
    Show
    And now, Diplomacy! if one social skill doesn't work...

Just trying to smooth things over, really, rather than get information from them. (1d20+7)[25]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wow, she changes moods quickly...although that armor thing is pretty neat, Jessica thinks to herself as she takes a seat opposite Alessia.

"Yes, some explanation would be appreciated" she says, grabbing a honeycake. "As Alessia said, we have no idea why we're here, we we're following a strange, pale, halfling. We don't even really know where we are."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aiding Alessia with diplomacy:
    (1d20+4)[8]

edit: grr, at least Alessia rolled well..

And Gather Info:
    (1d20+4)[18]
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-06-20 at 11:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Hatta casts another look at the white rabbit when Jessica mentions the pale halfling. The rabbit starts to speak.

"Strange?! I don't see how..."

Cutting him off, Hatta addresses you.

"How do you do, Alessia du Chumleigh, daughter of High Priest Alastor of the City of Chumleigh?"

The human gives a curt nod before continuing.

"I do not know of this place, Chumleigh, where you are all from... but you are now in Dowrenland. I assume that you came by way of mirror. I am sure that there is much that you do not understand about this place, but explaining it all would take a lifetime... which we do not have... so I will be brief with current events, after which you may ask specific questions."

"Dowrenland is at war. The Red Queen in the East has allied herself with the Obsidian King in the West and his Witch Queen. In her paranoia, she has taken certain events as imaginary slights against her Kingdom of Hearts and has decided that those 'responsible' must pay, and dearly I'm afraid."

Hatta seems to hit upon a memory, and it upsets him visibly. He shifts once more and when he 'comes to', he begins excitedly helping himself to the honey cake and ale.

"Oh quite delicious, quite delicious! I do so hope that everyone is having a good time!"

The white rabbit sighs audibly and then speaks.

"Forgive my cousin. He was attacked by mind flayer some time ago and, though he survived, he hasn't been quite right ever since, I am afraid. To continue... Ozrok Bindor, the Emperor of the Emerald City, was assassinated several months ago by agents of the Obsidian Queen. I am a messenger to Her Majesty, Queen Mirana Callevasia, Ruler of the Ivory Port and the Kingdom of Clubs."

The human chimes in at this.

"Oh yes, quite lovely the White Queen is."

Enya continues, "Then, just last month Glinda, the Witch of the South who serves my Lady Callevasia, was murdered by the Obsidian Queen herself."

Hatta adds, "Indeed. And they were sisters, wouldn't you know. Quite wicked that one."

The rabbit presses forward, "And so now, my kingdom is allying itself to the Wizard of the North, who has taken over in his emperor's stead. And there will be war..."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of war and the various alliances, Timble take a break from his culinary indulgements. "So, are you the good guys or the bad guys here?"
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2012-06-20 at 01:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib rose an eyebrow and went to sit down next to Jessica. "That's a lot of cardinal directions and playing cards. So the west and east are together against the clubs and north? That's... pretty confusing, to say the least."
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Hatta addresses Timble's question.

"What an absurd thing to say!"

"What I think he means, Sir Timble, is that no one ever deems themselves the 'bad guy', as you put it. If you find yourself behind a cause that you think to be in the wrong... you certainly wouldn't go to war over it, would you?" The white rabbit interjects. The human then listens to Skrib's remarks and comments.

"Indeed. Politics." He rolls his eyes and clucks his tongue at the notion.

Enya tries to clarify, moving objects on the table to represent what he is talking about.

"Here. In the East, you have the Kingdom of Hearts... ruled by the Red Queen in her husband's place, as he fell into a 'mysterious sleep' many years ago. She lives in the Crimson Castle and her name is Irangwideth Didros, though she is referred to as “Queen Deth” by her subjects... behind her back, mind you."

"In the West, you have the Kingdom of Spades... ruled by the Obsidian King and Queen, who just so happens to dabble in the magics of undeath. They live in the Black Keep and are called Xunorel and Elphaba Pryt, respectively."

"Nasty and unnatural business in the Kingdom of Spades." adds Hatta solemnly. The white rabbit nods and then goes on.

"Now in the North, you have the Kingdom of Diamonds... once ruled by the Green Emperor, Ozrok Bindor, now dead. So his Wizard, Locast, has taken up the reins of power according to the laws of the Emerald City."

"And finally in the South, you have the Kingdom Clubs... ruled by the White Queen and King. They, as well as I, live in the Ivory Port. My Lady's name is Mirana Callevasia and my Lord is called Beotur Callevasia."

When he has finished, he looks at you all very matter-of-factually.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia lets out a puff of breath. "...Very interesting. I don't suppose you could tell us how we might return home, then?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I don't want to go home." Timble interjects. "I just left home a week ago, to look for adventure. Wouldn't be much of an adventure if I just went back now, would it? Besides, the food is great. You should really try some, Alessia, and not worry so much."

He chews some, then adds thoughtfully, "Miranda and Beotur. Strong names. Sound like good guys. Definitely happy we're not in the Queen Deth domain. Also the Spades ... why are they called Spades, because they dig out all those corpses to make undead?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Wow...oh, wait!" Jessica sits in silence, enjoying the honeycakes and absorbing the knowledge. Half-way through, she remembers her "notebook". She reaches in her bag and pulls out her pen and paper and begins writing as much as she can down.

"Hmm, interesting. Each kingdom has a corresponding color, direction, and...symbol? Very interesting indeed." she says to herself. Louder she continues with, "I agree with Timble, I don't want to go home yet. I would like to learn more about this world, and these kingdoms." She smiles at Timble, "Like why the western kingdom is called the Kingdom of Spades."

19. - Top - End - #139

Hatta listens to Timble. "Adventure, how exciting!"

"As for why the kingdoms have symbols and where they came from... I do not know. Though the bit you brought up about spades does make a good deal of sense," responded Enya.

The white rabbit looks at Alessia and blinks twice, before replying.

"Why, through a mirror, of course."

The human replies to this with, "However... knowing your way home is always a good idea. I once had two friends that left bread crumbs behind them to guide them back home when they were lost in the woods."

"Oh, how clever," came Enya's comment, "did it work?"

"No, now that you mention it... the kalidahs ate them."

"Breadcrumbs? How strange. I've never known a kalidah to eat bread."

"No... we found the breadcrumbs."

"Hmm..."
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-21 at 09:59 AM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia frowns a bit. "I merely want to know how we might return home, when we want to. Because we can't just stay here forever."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"So the way home is through the mirror that we came from? There, simple." Jessica says to Alessia. She turns back to Hatta and the rabbit, "So who is this "he" that is coming that we should run away from? And should we be going?"

22. - Top - End - #142

The human laughs heartily, "Well... there are other ways to travel between the worlds, of course. But mirror is, by far and away, the most reliable."

Hatta stands suddenly and heads into the house as he calls back over his shoulder, "Oh dear, I almost forgot... presents!"

When he returns, he sets down a leather satchel in front of each of you, giggling merrily and skipping around the table in a sort of mad jig. The white rabbit chuckles a bit at this and he shakes his head in mild disbelief. However Enya turns paler, if that was possible to believe, when Jessica asks about who 'he' is. His eyes dart in Hatta's direction, who seems to have not heard the question.

"The Warlord of the March. He was once a well-respected leader amongst our people; having lead us to many victories during the last wars that came to Dowrenland. He was taken as a hostage and by the time he was rescued... he was forever changed. He was a danger to everyone around him, and so he was sent here, to Untea Island."

No sooner had the rabbit revealed this information than the Clock Tower let out a low chime that was quite audible. Looking up, you see the giant hourglass at its pinnacle begin to rotate. Enya grasps the hourglass around his neck and lifts it in front of his face. Wide-eyed and terrified, he simply says, "Oh dear."

Hatta stops mid-dance and collapses to the ground where he stood, screaming in agonizing pain. His arms wrap around his head and his entire body begins to tremble and shake. The human looks up into all of your faces, his eyes blood-shot and beads of sweat forming on his brow.

"Flee!", he pleads. "Run... now!"

Hatta doubles over on all fours and before your very eyes, he begins to... change once more. But this time was different than the shifts you have seen in his persona, for now he was going through a physical change. His clothing begins to tear as he starts to grow in size, and he removes his helmet, throwing it away from him absentmindedly.

The white rabbit quickly grabs his things and begins running in the direction of the hedge maze entrance. He calls out, "This way; all of you! Hurry!"
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-25 at 11:47 AM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Timble doesn't need a second invitation. Having seen Hatta take a change to the worst, he quickly grabs some food off the table, and follows the rabbit to the maze as fast as his short legs allow.
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2012-06-25 at 11:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Seeing the change in Hatta, Jessica quickly grabs the satchel put in front of her and runs after Timble and the rabbit.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib grabs the satchel in front of him and begins to run after the others. A bit farther away, he activates detect magic and looks back, to see if there's any magic on the human or otherwise. After getting his result, he continues to run.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[26]
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia eyes Hatta as she snatches her own satchel. "...Werewolf...?" she muses mildly, before dashing off with the others.

27. - Top - End - #147

You all head into the maze, on the heels of Enya. As Skrib is leaving, his looks back at poor Hatta and with his arcanely-enhanced vision he sees magic forming around his whole body, particularly around both of his hands. It appears that the forces around his hands are forming into a spear and shield. More interestingly, however, the bard notices a strand of magic extending from Hatta now-changing head. The rope-like connection trails off into the distance... in the direction of the Clock Tower and appears to, in fact, be directly connected to the hour glass itself.

Skrib hears a crashing noise and looks up to see a large hulk of a creature turning over the table. Hatta is nowhere to be found and appears to have been replaced with the beast, who is now turning his nose in the direction of the vacating party.

Spoiler
    Show

The beast roars and turns.

Inside the maze, you find that the hedges contain a multitude of brambles and thorns. The plants are so dense that you are fairly certain that even a bird or squirrel would have difficulty passing through them. Enya is every bit as fast as the albino halfling was and there are several times when you nearly lose him. But just when you think you will be lost in this place, with whatever made that terrible roar, you find him waiting just up ahead at a crucial turn beckoning for you to hurry.

"This way, this way!"
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-26 at 11:38 AM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib hurries, but mentions to the party, "He's a big rabbit now, but it has something specifically to do with the hourglass. There's a magic trail from there to him."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

The sounds of the beast behind you ring in your ears and you can feel the ground shake as it thrashes its way into the hedges. You head it howl in pain and soon, the sounds begin to fade with distance. The brambles must be keeping Hatta from pursuing your retreat.

Your group makes its way through many turns and passes. You cannot help but think how fortunate you are to have a guide that knows his way through this labyrinth with such haste. Before too long, you breach the maze and find yourselves on a small shoreline, looking out over a lake. There is a small dock, but you see no boat.

The white rabbit looks suddenly saddened. "Well... the Pool seems to be a little more full than I expected to find it at this point. It looks like we may have to swim."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia stares at the rabbit incredulously. "Swim? Surely that thing can swim faster than we can."