New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Dowrenland - Emeralds & Roses

I wonder if I should head back to the temple for the night. Jessica takes a quick glance out the window. No, it would probably be safer to stay, I don't want to get washed away.
    "Unfortunately, I did not procure a room for te night either. I suppose here is as good a place as any."
    She pulls out here bedroll and sets up next to the hearth as well.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Though the innkeeper had already gone to bed, you all knew that there were plenty of rooms for rent still available. The recent weather had cut down on the amount of travelers to Irrorab Wall considerably, and most of the Little Black Dog's patrons were simply local townsfolk looking for a meal or a drink. Likewise, most people around these parts were pretty trustworthy, and the keep seemed to trust to the fact that he could collect on the morrow.

And as some of you get situated into an empty room or nestled down by the central hearth in the common room... you are left with the haunting echos of the mysterious words of the bard still hanging in your ears.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----o-----

Dawn breaks the following morning, or so you guess. For what awakens you is not the crowing of a rooster, but rather an enormous boom of thunder, sounding as though it threatened to rend open the very sky. Perhaps it did... for when you looked out the nearest window, you could see that it was raining even harder than the night before. It appeared that the only good news of the morning was to come from the kitchen. The keep had made eggs, bacon, biscuits, and a hearty white gravy.

"Ta ward off da chills," he explained as he served it up at a silver per plate.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

After sleeping on the floor, Jessica greatly appreciates the warm food. She sits at a table by the stage, enjoying breakfast and waiting for the others to awake and eat.

While she waits, Jessica takes the piece of paper with the bard's words on it and reads it again, trying to remember if she's read anything like this before.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Except the bard, who didn't have haunting echoes. Instead, his dreams were full of adventure while those words were sounding, because prophecies could bring amazing adventures. And being a bard, he knew plenty of them.

When he awoke, he went over to the innkeeper immediately. "A silver, huh? And what would the price of the stay be?" It sounded nice, the price, and the food smelled good.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

"Da rooms're usually 5 silver, but seein' as business looks ta be thin, and na' gettin' any fatter by tha looks of things, 'ow's 2 silver pieces please ya? And fer you lot, what which slept on da floor in 'ere... call it 5 copper."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yawning as he pushed himself up from the table he was sleeping at, Nathaniel overhears the innkeeps prices and nods agreeably as he smells the food.

He says "That seems more then fair" while walking up to grab the food and handing the keep a silver and a half. While waiting for his food to be prepared his mumbles off his morning ritual, which involves a few moments of sibilant draconic chanting and hand gestures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Beguiling Influence

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Five copper to sleep on the floor!? Definitely a bargain. You have a very good floor, inkeep, sturdy and level." Timble gladly paid for his stay and the breakfast. "Compwimens to the sheff", he added, shoveling the eggs and ham.

Having eaten some, he turned to the young woman who seemed to be trying to decipher the strange words from yesterday. "So, what do you make of it, ma'am?" he asked curiously.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib paid 3 silver pieces, for the room and the meal. "Would you mind making some for me?" He sat with the others that he had met the day before. "Mind if I sit with you guys?"
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica, having already paid for food, pays the innkeeper an additional 5 copper.

She smiles at the bard, "Not at all my friend." She turns to Timble to answer his question. "Well, so far I haven't been able to come up with anything."

Spoiler
    Show
    OCC: Has Jessica had a chance to prepare spells yet? Maybe right before she got food? I don't want to have to have her sit out from everything for an hour. . .
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-06-01 at 07:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

The keep smiled broadly at the hobbit's compliment. It was a crooked grin, full of less-than-white teeth, but it was as friendly as his demeanor.

"Fank you, my lad! I'll take tha' as a fine fank you if ever I 'ad one. Especially seein as someone of yer stature must 'ave an appreciation for floors, seein' how's ye spend so much time near 'em, no offense meant."

When Skrib and Jessica order breakfast as well, replies in kind, "Be just a stiff jiff, it will. Me misses is cookin it up now."

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, you could've prepared your spells before you ate.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib looked at all of them. "Guessing none of you mind if I play a bit, while we wait." He pulled out his lyre while he looked outside, still seeing the rain and storm go about. "[Terran] Cursed storm. Will it never end?" He began to play at the table as he waited.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform: (1d20+8)[24] (Great performance, very close to memorable.)
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-06-03 at 02:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looking to Jessica Nathaniel says "Well, is this sort of thing common? Are there any sorts of ghosts or spirits who live around here?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Blind-to-rivers was reluctant to sleep indoors, but decided it was the best course of action, to keep an eye on Skrib. The menu for the following morning sounded too tempting to pass up, especially given how hard hunting would be in this weather.

"I'll take an order. Here's my coppers."

With that, he went to the window, gazing at the storm, and trying to piece together more of the "prophecy" in his head, as the rain and music blended together to form a beautiful backdrop for his thoughts.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"I don't think it is common, and as far as I know, no spirits or ghosts live here. I really have no idea what it means."

Jessica sounds extremely frustrated and murmurs to herself, "Pelor, please give me direction."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia wakes up. And falls out of bed at the crash of thunder.

Grumbling to herself, she makes her preparations for the day... which mostly seem to involve drawing on the floor in chalk. Huh.

She keeps the binding ritual as quiet as possible, then does her best to get rid of the chalk markings before heading downstairs. She's not limping, today!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Timble looks at the note Jessica has been deciphering, then out the window.

"Amid the blackest day, you will see the whitest of men," he quotes. "Although, this day sure seems more gray then black to me."

For a few minutes, he alternates between looking intently through the window, seeking a white man, and looking into himself, as the third line commands. By the time everyone finish their breakfast, he seems to be getting the hang of this, and is now able to look at the window and into himself at the same time, although a white man is not found neither here nor there.

17. - Top - End - #47

You aren't sure whether it was the melancholy of the raging storm outside or something else, but the bard from last night seemed to be much improved this morning. He plays a touching, somber melody that strikes a chord with each of you as you listen to him play intermittently with the rain outside. Soon, the second batch of you that ordered breakfast have food before you with a wink and a nod of the keep.

Soon after you were all finished eating, wondering what the day might bring... if anything at all, idle conversation began. It was small talk, but you learned little things about one another, though there are those that spoke more than others. The weather turned worse throughout the early morning, with the sky darkening to resemble night by midday. Suddenly, Jessica felt a compulsion from within her... trying to burst forth like the dawn, rising from her gut to her lips. When you felt that you could contain it no longer, you found yourself standing and speaking.

Everyone else sees the cleric quickly jump to her feet and begin to softly radiate light, a golden glow emitting from every inch of exposed skin and her holy symbol. She speaks, in a voice other than her own and entirely different than the one you heard last night.

"He has come."

Those of you with a view outside see, at that very moment, a small figure rounds the corner of a building down the street. He appears to be halfling, and is cloaked and wearing clothing that is geared for weather much colder than it is currently. The hood of his cloak is up and shields his face, until a strong gust of wind blows it back - revealing his albino nature. Pale skin, bordering on colorless and barely yellow hair, that appears the same.

Spoiler
    Show

"Poor sod," came the barkeep's voice, "roads are all but rivers at tha moment. He'w be washed away, he will!"

The other strange thing about this individual, as if there wasn't enough already, is that he appeared to be in an incredible hurry... he was moving with unbelievable speed. So quick, in fact, that you wondered how his short legs were managing it. He soon passes by on the opposite side of the road and was now heading away from the Little Black Dog.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-04 at 02:20 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib rises out of his seat and stops playing. He moves to the window to allow him to see him for as long as he can. "That'd be the whitest of men, right? Means that guy will show us the way."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's follow him then."
    Timble opens the door and steps into the driving rain. If anyone of his new friends is reluctant to follow, he adds, "It's just water. It won't melt ya."
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2012-06-04 at 01:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica sits back down. A sign from Pelor! She stands back up.

"There's someone out there? Yes, he must be this 'whitest of men.' Let's go!"

She follows Timble outside.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia looks out at the albino halfling man for a while, frowning a bit. She then nods her head. "...Okay. Might as well." She stands, gathering up her back - and taking a morningstar from out of it, before hanging it from a loop on her belt.

Hey, better safe than sorry.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib watches them leave and begins to return his items to where they would be safe from the storm. Particularly, he puts his lyre in his backpack. He then leaves, following after them.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Instincts engaged, Blind-to-rivers swiftly heads out the door with the others, ready to follow tracks in case they lose sight of the halfling. He warns them as they run, "Don't all get your hopes up. It's not that black out, this might be a false lead. The second spirit's voice sounded different. Let's just all make sure to stick together and don't split up, because if this IS the right sign, he's probably leading us into a trap."

24. - Top - End - #54

You each head out into the storm, in pursuit of what may or may not be a clue into the strange happenings of late amongst the group that had gathered at the inn. The streets were all but mud, with a few stones and freshly-felled trees having been placed here and there to help with traversing the mess. But what really caught your attention as you left the relative safety of the Little Black Dog was the powerful winds. During certain gusts, some of you have trouble navigating your steps with the threat of being pushed over.

The prey you followed seemed to be putting distance between you, though he was having a difficult time as well. It appeared that he was heading out of town, to the north.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Not wanting to be left behind, Nathaniel rushes out the door, trying to keep up with the group and reach the White Man.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia isn't particularly good at tracking, so she's rather relying on the others to keep sight of the albino halfling. She's unsure exactly why she's following along, but can't really help herself...

27. - Top - End - #57

Blind-to-rivers continues following the man. Though it might be a trap, there's no sense in not following their only lead.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib continues to try to chase the man, but his shorter stature could only get him so far. He knew that at this rate, he was going to start falling behind.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

As you all continue to follow the halfling, he does indeed lead you directly out of town. He then hurriedly presses on towards the remains of the wall, disappearing through a sizable hole in it. Before long, you reach the hole in the wall as well. Looking through it, you can see a thin game trail, working its way through the forest on the other side.

The rain and wind continue to pelt you, causing your clothing to stick to your body. Just then, you hear a horrendous sound coming from the city behind you - a low, continuous, moaning wail. Looking back, you see a dark funnel cloud has formed on the south end and pieces of debris are swirling around it, high up into the air.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Timble feels sorry for the poor townfolk having to bear the full wrath of the tornado. He wishes there was something he could do, but he knows that by returning there he won't help the people, but merely share their destiny.

He looks worriedly at the dark funnel, then the game trail. Lesser evil and all that.