New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dowrenland - Emeralds & Roses

You each, in turn, duck through the hole in the wall and step out into the forest on the other side. The North Forest was largely untouched outside of the wall and it had been allowed to run its natural course. Being a fairly old wood, it did not take long for nature to reclaim the elements of man that did remain behind and the wall suffered, in no small part, because of this. Vines, tree roots, and small creatures had all done their part in trying to overtake it, but the city kept most of the grounds on their side of the wall kept up, allowing both frequent grazing and timber-cutting.

However, you were leaving all of that behind now, as you pushed deeper into the North Forest and further after your target... now merely a series of fleeting flashes here and there, ahead of your small band on the game trail. Pressing on, you soon lose sight of him all together, as the rain and the wind hammer down upon you. Somewhere off to your right, you hear a tremendous ruckus as several trees are felled. The wind at your backs seems to almost shove you onward.

Then, just as you had given in to the idea of this being a fruitless pursuit, you see a clearing up ahead, and something within it.

Spoiler
    Show

A dilapidated manor house, mostly taken back by nature already, stood sentry in the middle of this clearing... almost defying the very forest around it. The roof had almost completely collapsed or rotted away and this intense storm may very well finish the job. Suddenly, a wagon falls from the sky and crashes to the ground some twenty yards to the left of you. The wooden vessel smashes into a thousand pieces as if it had been a child's toy.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia is rather starting to lose interest in the chase by this point. "We really should find shelter..." she says, to no one in particular, as the storm rages on. She's not particularly interested in forests, so she doesn't really take note of how it's taking back the city...

She then yelps and jumps to the side as the wagon crashes down, despite not being anywhere near it!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib cared about the forest and wall as individuals, but not united, so he didn't notice either. "Perhaps that's a good idea. The manor should..." He took a step back and looked at where the cart landed as it interrupted what he said. "[Terran] The sky's falling, oh great. Anyone have any complaints about heading into the manor?"
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

"Eek! Ooooh..." After a brief moment of panic, Timble's curiosity gets over his fear, and he approaches the splinters of the wagon and rummages its crushed remains for anything interesting.

He keeps doing it until the others are leaving, whether it'd be into the manor or somewhere else, at which point fear will overcome curiosity again, and he'll squeal, "Hey, wait for me" and follow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on Search for a grand total of .... 20!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wishing she had a cloak, Jessica trudges through the forest, following the party and the white man. I miss Pelor's light. Pelor, please protect my friends through this storm. And my family.

When the wagon drops, Jessica gasps and grabs her holy symbol.

"What on earth? Where did that come from? We need to seek shelter, that manor seems to be the best choice."
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-06-13 at 05:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nathaniel swears profusely in Draconic when the wagon lands, running up to get a better look at it and see if there's anything or anyone in it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search

(1d20+3)[10]

7. - Top - End - #67

As Timble and Nathaniel rummage through the debris of the wagon, they find little more than hay and an old pitchfork. There was certainly nothing of interest or value that came with this impromptu missile.

As you discussed the idea of shelter, you all soon found it hard to even hear one another... as the long wailing moan returned. It was closer this time, and you could make out the sound of more trees falling back the way you came. Moving forward, you found yourselves having to lean in the direction you were walking in order to stay afoot.

You press on, making it just inside the doorway to the manor house. It appears to have once been an elegant place, filled with high ceilings and wide hallways. You can even still see the odd piece of furniture here or there, covered in old dusty and moldy canvas. As you look around, something else catches your attention. There is a series of wet footprints upon the dusty stone floor, leading down the main foyer and into one of the back rooms.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib makes sure that his lyre is still working by touching a few notes before storing it away again and chasing the footprints.

Survival, Track: (1d20+1)[15] (Doubt it's needed, but I want to see what I'd get.)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Running into the house to get away from the noise, Nathaniel just keeps up with the group following the foot-prints, muttering to himself "What in the hells is happening?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

As the impromptu party enters the house, Alessia detaches her morningstar from its loop, holding it firmly in one hand. Never hurts to be prepared, especially when entering into a dark house in the middle of the woods...

Then she sees the footprints. Well, that tears it.

"Savnok," she mutters to herself... and suddenly, with a metallic clattering sound, her body is swiftly concealed by a set of ornate, bright white plate armour! Even her face is invisible behind the visor of the helm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Call Armor. I now have full plate and DR 1/Piercing. Yay!
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-06-07 at 05:39 PM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oooh, useful". Timble grabs the pitchfork and follows the rest into broken-down manor. As they move deeper into the house, caution sets in, and he's keeping his eyes and ears peeled for any signs of danger. As he walks, his tiny body seems to blend into the shadows.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[18] Spot
    (1d20+9)[25] Listen

And initiating Child of Shadow stance to gain concealment whenever I move at least 10' in a round.
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2012-06-07 at 05:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Protect us, Pelor." Jessica whispers as she walks into the manor. Seeing the tracks, she starts to follow them.

As Alessa summons the suit of armor, Jessica jumps back and gasps. "What the? What just happened? Where did that armor come from?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia turns her head towards the cleric, then lifts up the visor on her helm. "...Magic," she answers, simply, before dropping the visor again.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica eyes Alessa suspiously. "O...kay. Whatever."

Okay, it's magic. I can do magic too. Why is she so touchy about it

15. - Top - End - #75

The storm continues to rage on, with branches and gods know what else slamming into the stone walls. The wind howled even louder through the many open windows and doorways in the manor, causing an otherworldly sound to echo through its halls. Following the small footprints, you all soon come to a room that still has its door intact. As it is already open, you can see into the space beyond fairly well and see no sign of your quarry... aside from more footprints.

Following them into the room, you see that they lead to an old moldy canvas tarp, similar to those you saw in earlier rooms. However, this one was piled upon the floor. The only other thing that immediately caught your attention was that there was a rather large mirror here.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright. I need everyone to roll me both a Wisdom check and a Spot check, please!
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-06-08 at 09:38 AM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia isn't really very observant. She's mostly relying on others to notice danger!

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom: (1d20)[1]
    Spot: (1d20)[17]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Timble examines his shadowy reflection in the mirror, then gives the rest of the room a good look-over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom (1d20+3)[9]
    Spot (1d20+6)[24]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib looks around the room rolls a wisdom and spot check tries to spot anything out of the ordinary while his mind works.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[16]
    Wisdom: (1d20+1)[6]
    And I'll throw in Listen for good measure.
    Listen: (1d20+5)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica looks around at her surroundings. She grabs her holy symbol and whispers, "Pelor guide me."

Spoiler
    Show

Wisdom:
    (1d20+3)[20]
    Cast Guidance to add 1 the spot check
    Spot:
    (1d20+5)[18]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nathaniel surveys the room as he enters, not being particularly attentive to the room he walks up the the mirror and sees if he can make out anything odd about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Wisdom
    (1d20)[4]
    Spot (1d20)[18]

21. - Top - End - #81

Timble, Skrib, and Jessica all notice that, unlike everything else you have seen here... that the mirror has no signs of age and disuse about it. The polish of the silver is untarnished, leaving no flaw in the reflections it gives off. Likewise, there is little to no dust upon the bronze frame of the sizable looking glass. Jessica would probably note, even if just to herself, that it would appear that the canvas was removed from this mirror... very recently.

In addition, Alessia, Timble, Skrib, Jessica, and Nathaniel all spy a strange passage written upon the wall opposite of the mirror. The writing, at waist level for most of you, seemed to have been scrawled upon the surface with a piece of coal that had been removed from the fireplace in this room. It said:

",llaw eht dnoyeb rirroM ,rorriM
    ,llac ot emoc ev'ohw su fo esohT
    ,wov ruoy nopu tcelfer ,uoy dniM'
    .won dna neht ,srednalnerwoD oT"

More interestingly, perhaps... Timble also notice that outside the windows of the room reflected in the mirror, that the sky looks clear and sunny, with no storm in sight.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia peers at the backwards writing for a few moments, before reaching into her pack and producing a piece of chalk. She carefully begins to transpose the writing so it's the right way around, on the wall, just next to the writing.

"...Dowrenlanders? Has anyone heard of a place called Dowrenland?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica looks quizzically at the mirror, "Why is the mirror clean?

Seeing Alessia writing, she gets her paper and pen out, writing the message down, the right-way around. "Look, you can read it in the mirror. I don't think I've heard of Dowrenland..."

Spoiler
    Show

Lore check:
    (1d20+2)[4]
    Knowledge history:
    (1d20+3)[5]
    Knowledge geography:
    (1d20+3)[7]

Edit: wow, sometimes the dice seem to know when to roll low...
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-06-10 at 01:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"What a strange mirror." Timble looks at the strom outside, then back to the sunny skies reflected in the mirror. "I think I like that weather better." He touches the surface of the mirror with his hand.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib reads the words on the mirror, correcting them in his head, as everyone else apparently writes them down. He tries to remember anything he might have heard about Dowrenland.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Bardic Knowledge:|(1d20+3)[18]|Trained
    Arcana:|(1d20+3)[4]|Trained
    Local:|(1d20+3)[10]|Trained
    Nature:|(1d20+3)[22]|Trained
    History:|(1d20+2)[17]|Untrained
    Nobility & Royalty:|(1d20+2)[9]|Untrained
    Religion:|(1d20+2)[20]|Untrained
    The Planes:|(1d20+2)[19]|Untrained[/table]
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

No one seems to recall having ever heard of such a place as a 'Dowrenland'. Elsewhere within the manor house, you all hear the sound of a crash, as a portion of stone wall collapses in the still-raging storm outside.

You all notice that the words can be read fairly easily when viewed through the mirror's reflection. They seem to be directed at the mirror and mention things such as a vow and times involving the past and present. It is certainly a bizarre phrase, to say the least, and is even fashioned in the way of rhyming poetry.

When Timble places his hand upon the surface of the glass, he finds it hard, cold, and smooth as one would expect. However, when Alessia utters the word "Dowrenland", the mirror radiates warmth beneath the hobbit's palm... ever so briefly.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

"Eek!" Timble pulls his hand back. "It's hot! It became hot when you said that word."

Gathering courage, he tries the experiment again, this time pushing his hand into the mirror with slightly more force, while enunciating "Dowrenland" with different intonations.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib reaches down into his core while he pulls out his lyre. He begins to play a soft tune as his eyes adapt to search for something more. He sets his sights on the mirror.

Perform: (1d20+8)[10]

Spoiler
    Show
    Skrib is casting Detect Magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia looks up from her chalk writing to watch Timble as he lets out that 'eek'. She peers at him from under her visor. "...What are you doing?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"Experimentating."