New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Dowrenland - Emeralds & Roses

After quickly titling her current page of notes "Kesir" Jessica also takes a look inside her satchel.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Opening the small leather satchel, you are surprised to find it very dry inside. In fact, the only dampness seems to come from the outside of the dark brown leather itself. The contents within provide, however, provide just as much curiosity. Each of you finds four small glass vials that appear to contain a watery mauve-colored liquid that bubbles slightly when agitated. In addition, wrapped in a piece of fine light-blue linen, you find two slightly hardened biscuits containing bits of what looks like dried fruit mixed in with the dough. These yet still seem to hold some warmth, despite how long they must have been out of the oven that baked them.

Aerrond, who had been casually observing you all examining these contents, smiles widely and nods in approval.

"You have Essence of Glasston Berry and Issica Biscuits... this is good. These things will serve you well in whatever quest you seek beyond Nevande."
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia peers at her new things! She's half tempted to shake one of the vials, but decides that might be a bad idea. She looks up Aerrond with a quizzical expression. "What are these? Are they magical? Alchemical?"
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #184

"Yes; they are magics. There is many magics in Dowrenland; you will learn this. I do not know this word 'alchemical'... what does this mean?"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

5. - Top - End - #185

You soon come around a small bend in the river and the waters widen out quite a bit. The flow of the current slows and you can see an elegantly carved wooden dock of to your right. The sailors steer their way over to it and the one called Lyrim tosses a coil of rope up onto the decking of the pier. The other two kesir hop out of the turtle-shell boat and begin tying it off to the moorings, which were each wooden statues carved to look like leaping does. As you move to exit the boat, Lyrim seizes Jessica's shoulder.

[Elven]"Hold a moment. You all must remain here for the envoy."

Aerrond reiterates.

"It is best to wait. There are no less than six bows pointing at you now, no doubt."

Some of you notice that the kesir that you arrived with have begun to undergo some changes to their appearance. Their skin has faded into a ruddy brown color and the texture of their hair has changed into more like, well... hair. It's color has also shifted towards green and their fins and gills seem to be drying up and becoming less prominent. In addition to all of this, they seem to be sprouting small antler-like growths upon their temples. Furthermore, you swear that you just saw the joints in Jerynn's legs move in a most peculiar manner. And there! Aerrond's feet are shrinking and getting darker. After several moments, you begin hearing their footsteps CLOMPing upon the wooden planks. Yes... they've... they've become hooves!

Spoiler
    Show

- Ser Jorah Mormont

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"Alchemical is... like, chemicals, you know? Antidotes and alchemist's fire and stuff... And I did ask what these did..."

She grumps a bit as they're warned not to leave the boat. The mention of bows makes me freeze up a little...

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #187

Aerrond looks down at Alessia and smiles.

"You eat to grow and you drink to be smaller."

Enya, who has been silent throughout the entire voyage, bows at the approach of a regal-looking kesir. The newly arrived person is wearing flowing green robes that have a decidedly ceremonial look about them. Flowers still blooming in full color seem to have had their stems woven into the fabric. She wears a wreath of elegant silver upon her head, with branches that appear to be sprouting real autumn-colored leaves!

The rabbit speaks, "I am Enya Tapuk, messenger to Her Majesty, Queen Mirana Callevasia, Ruler of the Ivory Port and the Kingdom of Clubs!"

The kesir, bows slightly in return, and replies.

"I am Envoy Arvara Arnidona. Who are these people you bring into our lands?"

"They are outsiders, from the other world."

The envoy thinks for a moment, before motioning to the group of you.

"Come with me."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"So they're... potions? I've heard stories about potions that can reduce or increase a person's size, so I suppose..." Alessia hmms, then tucks the Drink Me and Eat Me items back into the satchel, then stows the satchel in her pack.

She glances to her ad-hoc companions to see what they do!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Curious about the Kesirs' change in appearence, Jessica makes a note of it in her journal, and decides to wait until later to ask about it.

She puts her journal in the stachel alongside the potions.

Jessica steps off the boat when asked by Arvana.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib returns the items to the pouch and puts them in his backpack before following the group.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

You follow Envoy Arvara Arnidona up the pier and onto a game trail. You... sense presence all around you, but see nothing aside from flitting birds or skittering squirrels. The female kesir walks boldly along with a great amount of dignity and grace. It felt almost as if, though all alone, you were all on parade.
    The trees here are very tall, easily extending twice the height as any you had ever seen back home, with trunks as big around as the hovels of the poor. After nearly ten minutes of walking, you find yourself in a lovely clearing in this very old forest. Envoy Arnidona approaches one of the trees on the edge and places her hand upon a large knot and turns back towards you.

"Speak the words 'all is hidden before me' in our language, as I am about to, whilst you touch this knot. This is a sacred secret that we trust you will not reveal to those that would wish this land harm."

She then turns her gaze towards the middle of the clearing and utters the words, "Lirund'ull arvan kesha ma."

With this, her body slowly turns into what appears to be pollen and scatters drifting away with the wind.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

With barely a moment's hesitation, Skrib places his hand on the knob and speaks, "Lirund'ull arvan kesha ma."
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193

As Skrib and the others follow suit of the Envoy, one by one the same thing happens to them - they speak the words, turn to pollen, and blow away on the wind.

However, what you each see as you speak these words is not yourself turning to pollen. Instead, the clearing around you seems to suddenly bloom to life; filling with creatures who were not there a moment ago. And though the placement of the trees and rocks do not change, much else does. In the blink of an eye, you all find yourselves surrounded with many more of these kesir... going about various tasks, all of which are halted by your arrival. Now, it would appear, all eyes were on you.

Arvara continues on, moving back into the woods, where you can now see houses and other buildings nestled amongst the trees. You are lead to a fairly large structure that looks as though it was made entirely out of the interwoven branches of its supporting trees. A dome-shaped building with open sides, you see an ornate throne set upon a dais directly in the middle. Another important and regal-looking kesir sits in this kingly chair and watches intently as you enter. The Envoy bows deeply before swinging aside to gesture towards you with a sweep of her thin arm. The seated kesir speaks.

"The forest has told me your names and where you are from, outsiders. Enya, you always are welcome to travel through these lands. But the rest of you... I have no knowledge of your intent. Why do you come?"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing nobody speak up, Skrib gets up and speaks for the group, "We received a prophecy and followed a pale Halfling. Ends up he led us to a building and that building had a mirror on it. When we said what it says on the mirror, we appeared here. Then we ran from a werebunny. And then we were kindly lifted out of the water. And now we are here."
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia stretches her arms, then holds them behind her head in a relaxed pose. "I think we might technically qualify as 'adventurers' now. Not that we've really gone on any sort of quest yet."

She's grinning. She likes the idea of being an adventurer, apparently... despite how much she seems to protest against traditionally adventury courses of action.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica is in awe of her surroundings, and she is silent for a long while. The place vaguely reminds her of her childhood home and yet still feels very alien. Finally, after Alessia and Skrib speak up, she speaks up, "What Skrib here said is pretty much the whole story. We really have no idea why we are here."

17. - Top - End - #197

The kesir leader sits quietly as you each speak, contemplating what has been said. He then thinks for a moment, before replying.

"I hear no falsehood in your words, outsiders. You have the trust and the protection that my people can provide you. As far as the kesir are concerned, you may pass through these lands unharmed."

Another kesir approaches Jessica and presents her with a large, but rather simple-looking acorn. The kesir then bows and retreats to where he came. The seated one then resumes.

"This is a token of this vow. Place it against your throat."

When Jessica does so, vine-like tendrils wriggle out from the acorn and grow around the cleric's neck. They intertwine at the back, forming a kind of choker-style necklace, with the acorn displayed prominently at the front.

"Wear this and no kesir will attack you as long as you show them no aggression. Peace be given and peace be granted. You may stay here this night, if you wish it. And in the morning, you are free to go."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia stretches a little bit. "Great..." she says - it's hard to work out if she's being genuine when she says that or not. "Well... looks like we're not going back home any time soon. I guess we'll just stalk the rabbit for a while or something."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib takes a look at the necklace acorn, having never seen anything like it, before turning to their leader and bowing. "Thank you, sir. Is there any way for us to repay your kindness?"
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200

"Treat the forest with kindness and with a light foot. This is all that I ask in return."

With this, you are dismissed from the domed and canopied space. Envoy Arvara leads you away, roughly back in the direction of the clearing. Before you got quite that far, however, she veers off to the left and moves to a large tree that had several windows and platforms on it. The female kesir walks around the trunk of the tree and you can see a door build directly into the bark. Ornately carved, you would think that something like this would have killed this tree, but apparently that was not the case. The ancient oak seemed, on the contrary, to be thriving and its outstretched branches were laden with rich green leaves and sizable acorns. Once inside the tree, you saw a small round room with a tightly-wound wooden spiral staircase off to one side and comfortable-looking wooden furniture adorning the remainder of the room. Another female kesir approached and bowed to the Envoy and then to all of you.

"Welcome to my home, other worlders."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica thanks the kesir upon receiving the necklace. She remains silent as they are lead through the area.

Jessica bows slightly in return to the female kesir's greeting. "Thank you for having us." she responds in elven.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia is silent for a few moments as they enter the house inside a tree. "...Elves," she mutters, and once again it's somewhat hard to work out what she means by that.

"Oh, well. I guess we should get some sleep, or something. We're probably going to have to do something strenuous tomorrow."

23. - Top - End - #203

"It is my honor." comes the kesir's reply. Her and Envoy Arvara bow to one another and the Envoy bids you each farewell before departing. The other kesir leads you up the spiral staircase to reveal several more levels of living space, all of which seem to have been temporarily converted into rooms for sleeping. The males are given one floor, and the females another, allowing for privacy you are told. You are offered an evening meal that consists of balls of a hearty dough in a stew of honey, pine nuts, and reddish orange berries. Served along with it, if accepted, is a light sweet wine that also tastes of some summery fruit or another. Overall it is quite satisfying and delicious, especially for the supper having a noticeable absence of meat.

As you begin to bed down for the evening, the rays of dusk begin to creep in through the open windows of the home. And as the sky begins to turn a multitude of colors, you hear singing drifting about on the wind... almost a melodic whisper as a harmony of quiet voices echoed the words throughout the kesir settlement.

[Elven]
    "Quora Nor mor ironoresh
    Ent sehan eyl atha faleyl mor,
    Nodel ent Stacii ellan lorwashia arquen,
    Aul eyl neh'arra faleyl Enna fal Maskan.
    Gayafila huo'sehan neh ellan rell'jaciah faer daquin,
    Gayafila huo'nuhl lirundil karask fal navae.
    Ellan ennarell nae quen artaeyl holm,
    Leg'ennarell; ryum aul neheli tassa."

{Translation... for those that speak Elven.}
    "When Sun dies each day
    And walks the land of the dead,
    Moon and Stars will watch over us,
    In the absence of the One of Fire.
    May his journey be not fraught with danger,
    May he vanquish any creatures of darkness.
    Return to us on the morrow,
    Born again; victorious in your deeds.
    "
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica enjoys the meal and is glad for a warm bed after the day's excitement. Right before heading to bed, she takes out her "journal" and reviews her notes, thankful for the bard's Mage Hand, and adds a few more.

The song, although she has never heard it before, comforts her.

In the morning, she prays to Pelor for her spells soon after waking, then heads downstairs for breakfast.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Skrib doesn't understand the song but does acknowledge its beauty to himself as he goes to sleep. In the morning, he takes fifteen minutes to get back his spells. After that, he goes down and gets breakfast. After he eats, he takes out his lyre and plays.

Perform: (1d20+8)[20]
    If he hears himself performing worse than usual, then he switches the song and instead takes 10. 18
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia collapses into bed almost immediately, and is soon snoring away... Seems she was tired. That might be why she was so grumpy!

... Or, more likely, she's just a grump.

In the morning... she tries to excuse herself and go off somewhere secluded for a bit. Then she takes out her chalk and three candles, and starts to draw... a circle.

27. - Top - End - #207

You each sleep quite well despite being so far from home, in every facet of the word. Going about your individual morning rituals and tasks, breakfast brings you all back together at your host's table. Another meal, consisting of no trace of meat, graces your plates as a serving of berries and fruits and you are given extremely fresh water that is surprisingly cool and crisp to the palette. When you are finished eating and gathering your gear, you set out once more.

The kesirs all watch, giving fare-wells and good-lucks as you pass. Enya, your white rabbit counterpart who has been rather quiet throughout this latest ordeal, leads you back to the tree knot that granted you access to this splendid settlement. He places his hand upon the knot and turns to you.

"Shall we?"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Before they left, Skrib had walked around and looked for a store, to ask what currency they used in this world.

After that, he went back and all the rest of what Erasmas said. He nodded. "Not much else to do here anyway."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Alessia finishes the ritual, then attempts to get rid of any chalk marks left on the ground before heading back inside! She eats silently, then follows along after Enya. "Let's."

Oddly enough, her voice is noticeably deeper today...
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-07-30 at 11:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Jessica follows Enya to the tree knot, excited about the new day. "Yes, let's!"