New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Fortune

1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Fortune

Spoiler
    Show
    Sam gets +3 for ranged weapons, and +4 if he's in close enough. His feats are both archery-focused, so it's probably best if he does take it.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey's eyes dart to one side... "STICK!" And he internally resists the primal urge to grab the quarterstaff and run off with it...

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth notices Whiskey fidgeting and bends down to give him scratchies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds gooooood I'm sure there will be more badguys to loot down the road!
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-11 at 05:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey squints one eye shut and leans, his tail seeming to wag automatically. His greatest weakness.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

At least one of them can get the job done, thinks Valette, looking at the bloodied rogue approvingly. She walks to the unconscious goblin. Raising the hammer, she brings it down with a sickening crunch. Valette then crouches down beside their captive. "I don't like you." She says angrily. "I don't believe you. Cross me and.." she taps menacingly on his knee with the hammer stained in the blood and brains of the goblin's friend, hard enough to cause pain. "Mercy is a weakness. No one hands out prizes for nice behaviour."

Valette casts prestidigitation, and the blood soaking her skirts leaps off in a perfect circle around her, leaving her garments clean. Turning her back on the goblin, she grabs the remaining items.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two daggers, a quarterstaff, flint, and a belt.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    If you REALLY want the bow you can have it. I guess for now my sneak attack may make me better at flanking.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Noticing the look Valette gave Sam, Jacinth sneakily traces a heart in the air around the two of them and wiggles her eyebrows at Tharin.

"Shall we follow our gracious host to the exit?" she asks, gesturing towards the goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hahah no that's fine, James explained to me that you get a much bigger modifier so it's good that you took it! I'll get a ranged weapon later.

8. - Top - End - #218

The goblin groans and holds a hand over the deep and bloody wound on his shoulder. "Hzeeeee... You think I can can march in this condition? I needs rest, time to heal, or else I dies walking."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sam goes and grabs the cloth he dropped on the ground earlier and brings it to the goblin.

"Then while we rest for you, tell us what THIS is."

10. - Top - End - #220

"It's to keeps you sleeping, Hzeeee! Keeps you sleeping 'til someone comes for you. Don't ask! Hzeeeeeeee... I swears I don't know who 'tis."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

"Can we please get going, I am SO hungry, and if we are actually in Helmos I can probably get us a discount on meat pies!" Jacinth looks at the goblin, then at Arf. She wrangles the goblin onto Arf's back. "Let's go!"

Spoiler
    Show
    My search modifier is only 1, so maybe Sam can check for traps? And Tharin with his stone skills

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin grabs the flask that Valette had emptied onto a mouse earlier, heads back down to the room next to their cells, and while covering his mouth and nose fills the flask with the foul liquid, seals it, and places it in his backpack.

13. - Top - End - #223

The party makes their way through the door down a short hallway to a larger main corridor. The floor of this corridor is made roughly-fitted paving stones. The walls have many dark gaps between the uneven bricks, and slope inward as they rise to form a pointed arch for a ceiling.

"This way," the goblin says, pointing left. "But not too fast. There is a trap. I will shows it to you. Walk 'til you reaches the stone on the right that is pushed too far into the wall, and don't pass it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, anyone other than a rogue searching for traps (other than a dwarf when it comes to traps involving unusual stonework) is usually pretty useless even if they have a high modifier.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey emits a pained, whimpery "Aooorrwhhu" at the mention of hot, succulent meat pie. Arf meanwhile growls irritably, at first reluctant to have a messy goblin stuck on his back before he finally obeys and returns to Whiskey, who bobs his head at him and snuffles at the goblin in a bit of positive doggy body language. "We need him."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

He then proceeds to wash his hands in the barrel closer to the campfire, making sure to clean off any trace of the poison.

He pulls the flask out of his backpack, shows it to the others, and says:

"I filled this with the putrid liquid they used on us. Either we can bring it to someone who can tells us something about it, or we can shove down some poor bastard's throat."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin follows closely behind the goblin, constantly checking the stonework ahead of them for any traps that the goblin feels like omitting.

17. - Top - End - #227

Thårin finds nothing unusual as the party makes their way down the corridor, until the group stops at the point dictated by the goblin. Sure enough, there is a brick, sunken into the wall, that looks as if it has seen recent movement. There is nothing else that appears unusual about the hallway here, however. Sam also cannot note anything strange about the passageway.

"Here," Says the goblin, "Very dangerous trap. Large spikes, well-hidden. Must push the stone to pass it. You hears 5 clicks, and then it is armed again."

He looks around at the different faces in the party.

"One of you can press it, if you want. Or I, hzeeee, as you do not trusts me."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Let me see that a moment, pipsqueak."

Sam takes a moment to look over his surroundings

Spoiler
    Show
    Is this an appropriate take 20 situation? If so, take 20+4

If not: (1d20+4)[24]

Also to speed things along here, if I find something dangerous I'll try disable it.

(1d20+4)[13]

19. - Top - End - #229

"What would make the trap trigger?" asks Valette.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-12 at 12:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230

"Just walking," says the goblin, "on the floor here. Anything bigger than a rat. It will kills you if you don't press the secret button first. There is one on the other side, too! Hzeeee..." He points at a similarly depressed brick in the wall about 15 feet ahead. "Five clicks, after pressings, to get past the far button."

As Sam carefully inspects the passageway with his keen eyes, a couple of mice can be heard squeaking up ahead. The goblin hzeeees again as the two rodents with adorable little leather backpacks come into view, chase each other in circles, and then disappear again back down the hall.

After some very careful looking, Sam determines that there is indeed something suspiciously trap-like about the section of the corridor between the two sunken bricks.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth rummages in her pack before pulling out the mug. "Everyone stand well back" she says. "I might be about to do something dumb. Sam, can you point out the area of the trap?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably everyone stands well back

She also stands back, grabs the quarterstaff from Valette, and gingerly pokes the sunken brick with it.

Spoiler
    Show

if rocks fall, everyone dies then sorry guys!
    if trap begins to click, Jacinth throws the mug hard at the trap-like area that Sam pointed out to her
    if trap does not begin to click, Jacinth still throws the mug down, and also runs away and squeals a little bit

Trying to see what will actually happen with the trap. I'm assuming it will be something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtTmR_v6pz4&t=2m55s
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-12 at 05:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

With a little effort, the brick slides another couple of inches into the wall.

From behind the brick comes a sound:

*click*

*click*

(Jacinth spikes the metal mug at the floor with a loud *clang* a few feet beyond the brick-button.)

*click*

*click*

*click*

The mug rests on the floor several feet down the hallway.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth wrings her hands together. "If I die, tell my dad I love him. And tell Marie from the tavern that the house red is really good, I just lied because I didn't want her to charge me. And also tell Anatoli from the meat pie stall that he would have had to do better than 30 percent off to court me. I mean really. At least give a girl a free meal once in a while, am I right?" she directs the last part to Valette. Without waiting for a reply she takes a deep breath, pushes the sunken brick, waits for the first click and skips as quickly and lightly as possible over the the trap.

Spoiler
    Show
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-12 at 06:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

That felt too easy. Valette narrows her eyes as she thinks. A little caution never hurts. Turning to the goblin, she pokes him with her reclaimed quarterstaff. "Why don't you go next?"

Spoiler
    Show
    She's sense motive-ing again. +1. Worrying about the possibility that, to prevent escapes, this corridor has been designed so that it keeps track of the number of groups entering, and only that many can leave. Probably being too cautious but I'd rather not get spiked!

25. - Top - End - #235

Jacinth passes the far brick-button before the 5th click. A mouse squeaks again somewhere further down the dark hallway.

"See?", says the goblin, "Wouldn't have gots by without me, no."

26. - Top - End - #236

Spoiler
    Show
    Valette doesn't sense anything especially mischievous in the goblin's demeanor.

"Ok, I goes next,"

With a hzeeeee of pain, the goblin leans over and pushes the brick with his good arm.

"Go doggie! Go!"

27. - Top - End - #237

Arf bounds with the goblin on his back safely over to Jacinth .

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, that's good enough for my blood."

Thårin pushes in the stone, and legs it to the other side as soon as he hears the first click.

29. - Top - End - #239

Thårin arrives safely on the other side. So does every other member of the party who does the same.

30. - Top - End - #240

The corridor a head extends straight into the darkness, further than anyone in the party can see, and is crossed by another passageway about 50 feet ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, we need to figure out how the humans can see and retcon that **** in. Because it's like super dark in here.