Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: Ashe

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    riccaru's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Gender
    Male

    Default Ashe

    You find yourselves on the slippery deck of a ship whose bow dips up and down with the frigid waters of the small sea between the mainland of Ashe and the Scarlet Kingdom. Just a few short days ago you received a letter from the queen herself demanding you come to her on this date, and be there by sundown.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Loyal subject,

    You have come to my attention as one who can complete tasks which are asked of you.
    Be in Winterport within four days.
    Do not disappoint.

    Your Queen, Carmen Sorrowfell


    If you had asked around you would know that these meetings rarely go well, but the two winged women with their long spears who went and found you in the city looked like they weren’t taking no for an answer. So you boarded with your weapons and spells ready for anything. That was yesterday morning, and as you come closer to your destination the fog thickens and the creeping sensation of impending doom slides further into your skin. Slowly a port comes into view, as well as the tundra landscape behind it.

    The winged women stand at the bow of the ship, their eyes far on the horizon as they have been the entire boat ride. "We are almost there." They say in unison. "Are you prepared?"
    Last edited by riccaru; 2012-06-01 at 07:42 PM.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    meemaas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Nicholas

    Nicholas closed his prayerbook, staring up into the sky. He had been studying in his free time, double checking the spells he had already discovered, towards his own goal. "Define prepared" He smiled a bit at his joke, and then cast his gaze towards their apparent destination, ignoring all else.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    Lavarre

    A young drow man with grey hair, wearing dark clothes stands near the bow of the ship, looking at the sea. His face doesn't show any interest nor emotion. When asked a question, he turns to look at the winged women for a slight moment, just to answer "Always ready." And goes back to staring at the sea.

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show

    Using hat of disguise, so there are less people staring at him.
    I assumed drow form is more acceptable than vampire.
    If both are... prohibited, I could edit this.

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Re: Ashe

    Halabael had no intention of refusing the summons of a Queen. Royal favor would undoubtedly allow the Half-Devil to jockey for more political clout and position himself to acquire greater true power. Additionally, arriving possessed a potential risk whereas refusal would have been met with immediate danger. While Halabael was not particularly frightened of the winged women(he can fly and fight rather well), he saw no benefit in refusal.

    While on the ship, the fog was mildly unnerving, but as it failed to obscure sight very greatly, the man merely smiled in anticipation of the potential souls he could damn or power he could accrue for himself. When the two winged women asked in unison if he was prepared, his crimson pupils turning to gaze upon them from within the black pools of his eyes.

    "I am prepared. The more relevant question is, is Winterport prepared for Halabael Ghant?"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Athos looked down from his perch in the rigging. He didn't bother to respond beyond a curt nod. Instead, he carefully peeled the last of the flesh from the roast chicken he had gotten from the galley with his knife and popped it into his mouth. As he chewed, he tossed the bones into the sea. Shame to let them go, but it's the civilized thing to do. Besides, cooking it ruined the marrow anyway . . . he thought regretfully. He used a kerchief to carefully wipe his fingers, then climbed down.

    He carefully inspected himself; so long as he was coming before the queen, it wouldn't help to do it mussed. His clothing, thick wool for the most part, was in good condition aside from the travelstains. His cloak covered most of the residual blood spatter on the collar, and his coat the rest. He looked trim despite of the coat over his chain shirt and soft leather undertunic. His black hair remained braided, although Athos had tucked most of the braid's length beneath his cloak. All in all, he thought he looked surprisingly well, considering how seldom he wore clothing.

    A gentle touch of a paw on his face brought his head around. His ferret Spike, silent as ever, had perched on his shoulder and touched him to bring his head around. As he did so, the ferret gently touched his mouth with a paw, brushing away a bit of chicken that had gotten caught in the corner of his mouth. "Thank you," he said, his voice gravelly from years of disuse. As he moved forward on deck, steering clear of the drow who was not a drow, he fished in a pocket before pulling out a morsel of meat. Handing it to the ferret, he looked out over sea as Spike devoured the chunk.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2012-06-02 at 11:31 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    "I am always prepared."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    This has to be one of the strangest rulings I've had to give, but continual exposure to cat urine would damage the scroll. One-time exposure would not.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    distant quasar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A distant galaxy

    Default Re: Ashe

    Surrounded by a small but deadly group of undead, Azurin turned slowly towards the winged women. It seemed they were actually serious in asking their question. He stared almost disdainfully for them for a moment, before nodding and turning again to look into the sea.
    Spoiler
    Show



  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    riccaru's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    "Good. Your first test is now. Cross the snow to the castle by sundown. If you fail to do so you may lose more than the favor of our queen." They again speak in unison before flying off the ship toward the heart of the continent of frigid air and white snow as far as the eyes can see.

    In a few short minutes a smaller boat comes up alongside the ship you're on, and the skeletal captain throws a rope ladder down the side, motioning for you to leave the boat with one rotten hand. "Good luck. You'll be needin' it where you're going." He remarks with a toothy grin, an you can see the gleam of platinum on a tooth. His voice is old and sounds like gravel scraping through a glass jar but his words are wise beyond even their time.

    All of your senses show that this is not a place you want to be, the air is frigid on your exposed skin while it still feels dead to you. The scent of copper plays at your nostrils and the taste of cool salty air assails your tongue while you look at the horizon. Snow and ice as far as you can see, and now you're being kicked off into it alone. Below you is the small rowboat, an ogre at the oars with a much smaller woman on the end of his chains. Though she smiles at you, you can tell she isn't one to be trifled with.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    distant quasar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A distant galaxy

    Default Re: Ashe

    Azurin stares down at the woman below, nodding in return. "Follow." he says in a blank voice, proceeding down first.
    He points to the Hydra. "Swim after the boat, and come to me onshore."

    On the boat, he shivers slightly, but steels himself against the environment, paying no attention to it.
    Insteand he looks towards the others on the boat, directing his question to botho them.
    "How far is it across the snow?"
    Spoiler
    Show



  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    Lavarre follows down, to the boat.
    Good thing I bought warm clothes... the climate is so chaotic on the surface...

    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Re: Ashe

    Halabael merely smiled arrogantly at the challenge. A trek through snow? How wasteful of his talents. Since he assumed he was to perform the trek with the others present, he did not take wing, though he also gave the cold no consideration, being inured to the effects of mortal climes. He gracefully strode to the edge of the boat and lept off, using his wings to reduce his descent speed before landing softly upon the boat, curling his wings about his form as a cloak once more.

    "Mere cold will not dissuade or hinder the likes of me."

    Halabael's stance shifted slightly, and his movements seemed to be followed by tendrils of shadow. He then stood still, observing those intended to be his compatriots.

    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC:
    Entered Child of Shadow Stance
    Maneuvers prepared:
    Drain Vitality
    Charging Minotaur
    Claw at the Moon
    Shadow Jaunt
    Last edited by Theroc; 2012-06-04 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Grammar correction

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Athos watched the ship approach silently. Opening a pouch in his backpack, he motioned Spike into it. He shrugged his backpack on, and picked up his shield. Glancing at it, his eyes tracked over the familiar sigil of a snarling wolf's head. He smirked ever-so-slightly at the joke, and then slung his shield and climbed down the ladder.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    Genat casts Endure Elements on himself before heading down to the smaller boat with Bennet.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    This has to be one of the strangest rulings I've had to give, but continual exposure to cat urine would damage the scroll. One-time exposure would not.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    meemaas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Nicholas

    Nicholas stows his book, and gets on the boat after the others. As the last one on, he takes a look forward towards where they are headed, and takes the measure of each of his companions, not speaking to any of them for the time being.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    riccaru's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    "It's a damn good few miles across the barren wasteland as the crow flies, but you ain't no crows is you? The real path to the palace runs straight and true through the heart of the ice. You have to go underneath, see? " The ogre calls out to you as you enter the small boat below.

    Soon the ship lurches back and forth and you can see the gleam of a collar around the girls' neck. The ogre is hooked to her just as she is to him! You notice the ship continues to lurch as the wheezing laughter of the ogre "captain" rings through the air before he coughs heavily. "Ohhhh, the cold ain't be what your test is. That's the things between you and there, isn't it? Anyway, here's a map that takes you straight to the palace. If you get lost, just follow the trails of bodies to the heart of the under. There you'll find your way on the map rightly!" He says, pausing after each sentence to laugh and cough a bit more. It seems the cold has been getting to him as well.

    His powerful arms propel the boat forward at great speed toward the docks, but his practiced hands guide it smoothly in. On shore you find nothing but a small house with a roaring fire outside it. On the fire is a cow, stuck through with a large spear an roasting for what appears to be the ogre's supper. Beyond that is only nearly flat ice, the snow drifting with the harsh winds.

    Before you wander off, six heavy fur cloaks are thrown to your feet by the ogre, and although they may smell like an old ogre, you can tell that they will be helpful if you wish to survive the cold without magic.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    distant quasar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A distant galaxy

    Default Re: Ashe

    Azurin takes the map from the captain with a nod.
    _____________
    Azurin scoops a cloak up almost without a pause. Although he deserved better, you made do with what you had. He turns back to the the captain.
    "Thank you."

    Then he wraps it snugly around himself. He waits a moment for his skeletal followers to make it on shore, before ordering the Troll to lift and carry him, and the others to follow.
    He then opens the map, carefully examining it to pick out the path he should follow.
    Spoiler
    Show



  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    meemaas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Nicholas

    Pulling on his heavy cloak, he wraps it around himself and keeps behind the troll, positioning himself so he was protected from the winds as best as he could, he simply followed behind, not saying anything, instead letting his thoughts run through his head while the others caught up.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lexin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    Lavarre

    Lavarre takes the fur cloak and wears it, trying too keep all the heat he has. After that he follows others, letting them test the surface first. As they walk he keeps using all his senses to look for potential danger.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Simple spot checks + mindsight 50 ft


    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

    “Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Athos unslung his shield and backpack. Picking up a cloak, he shrugged it on, trying not to gag at the strength of the smell of curdled milk. Considering the relative sizes of himself and the ogre, the cloak acted more like a poncho than anything. He picked up his backpack and shield. Looking at the ogre, he spoke in his gravelly tone:

    "Is the cold the only thing we need concern ourselves with, or does something live in the wastes?"

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Re: Ashe

    Halabael did not react much to the ogre's amusement at the fate of the party, feeling that he was being underestimated which only amused the man. The reactions of the party were not particularly noticeable, save one. The man asked a question which had been already answered, and Halabael grinned.

    "Is it your memory or your hearing that is faulty? The ogre already informed us that the cold is not our test, and that we will encounter 'things' between the Palace and ourselves." The Half-Devil made no motion at all to reach toward the ogre robe, before pointing towards the robe. "If anyone needs a second, I have no need for such a thing, feel free to take it."

    The Half-Fiend began to mentally prepare himself, flexing his fingers and unfurling his wings slightly, so that he might take wing more effectively if necessary.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Athos turned his head slowly to the one speaking. He had known that someone would say something. So, this is the pup who thinks to lead the pack. His foe had a foot and a half on him, and many stones of pure muscle. But all that mattered was the challenge. He stared right back at the bat creature's face. His lip curled up, and the low rumble of a feral growl sounded in the back of his throat. The challenge is made. Now to move the pack.

    "Neither. He didn't answer to my satisfaction, so I asked again," he said, his gravelly voice dropping even further in timbre. "And were you half as smart as you think you are, pup, you'd know better than to turn on a packmate before the kill. Nor to think I'd refuse a challenge if made. So think it over and walk it back, pup, and leave me to my questions. That or name your terms." At that he squared his shoulders with the winged man and stared into his eyes.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Re: Ashe

    Halabael shrugged with a deadpan expression before smiling once more at the most visible rise he got from that one. Easily manipulated, it seems. The man also did not seem to have much physicality to threaten him, so Halabael was on the whole, unimpressed. The words had much bark, but he suspected little bite.

    "Well, to begin, I'm not a canine, so pup is a poor selection... I'm no mongrel. Further, there is no pack until one is formed. We're individuals. Thirdly, I also did not turn on anyone, merely pointed out your question was redundant. Additionally, if anyone is 'turning on a packmate', it is you, threatening me with violence for pointing out your flaws. You should consider refining your social skills, elf, you'll live longer that way. As for terms, I only ask that you pay attention... unless you're interested in bartering with Baator."

    The Half-Fiend's reply was mildly amused but primarily bored with the response, completely unconcerned with the elf as it were. He had no intention of initiating a conflict, but was fully ready to engage in an altercation should one occur.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Athos lip curled into a sneer. He makes the challenge, and then backs away from the follow through. "Aww. The little elf repays an insult in kind and now my feelings are hurt." The gravelly voice jumped up an octave or two into a ragged, mocking falsetto, then back down to a deep-throated timbre. "Where we're going, you think they'll care that you're an individual, or you know which fork goes with which spoon? At best, they'll think of you as food that is too useful to eat, and the only thing that'll save you if you cross them is the rest of us. The pack. Best remember it, pup."

    He turned back to the ogre, ignoring the windbag. "Since I'm an impolite one, I'll ask again more simply. What in the wastes kills those who pass?"

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    Sense Motive checks to get Hunches from both of you:

    (1d20+3)[17]
    (1d20+3)[20]

    He also casts Detect Thoughts, scanning both of you.

    Genat attempts to determine which of these two are more likely to let the matter rest (if only for now) should the other back off.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2012-06-12 at 03:26 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    This has to be one of the strangest rulings I've had to give, but continual exposure to cat urine would damage the scroll. One-time exposure would not.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    As Athos waits for the ogre to respond, he watched the field for movement out of the corner of his eye. As he did so, he gently set his pack down and slid his shield onto his left forearm.

    Genat:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Effects of the Detect Thoughts:

    Turn 1: Yes, he's thinking.
    Turn 2: 17. Very intelligent.
    Turn 3: Will Save vs. DC 16 as I read your sheet.

    [roll]1d20 +13[/roll]

    . . .Son of a . . . I'll post again in the OOC. Stupid forum die rollers. . .


    He rebuffs the spell with almost contemptuous ease. Athos shakes his head to clear the mental cobwebs that formed in his mind, and then turns to the source of the spell. His luminous blue eyes eye Genat coldly. "I don't know you. And I don't know what you just tried to do. Please don't do it again the future."
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2012-06-12 at 10:36 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ashe

    Genat nods to Athos. "Simply trying to determine which of you is more likely to turn violent during this little field trip; and I promise only that I will restrict my nonconsentual use of magic on you to situations when I feel it to be in the interest of self-preservation."

    He passes his divination over the Ogre as well, reasoning that he very well might have a more specific answer than the one given.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    This has to be one of the strangest rulings I've had to give, but continual exposure to cat urine would damage the scroll. One-time exposure would not.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Athos eyed him for a moment. Then he spoke: "Your terms are accepted."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    meemaas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Ashe

    Nicholas

    "Shall we get a move on now? We aren't going anywhere if you lot keep arguing and holding us up."
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    distant quasar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A distant galaxy

    Default Re: Ashe

    Azurin turned from examinging the map to look back at the others. He raises his eyebrows, but said nothing of the confrontation. He cared for them only so much as they might be useful... but if they couldn't get along, only one could be preserved.

    They must be examined very carefully.
    Spoiler
    Show



  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Re: Ashe

    "If the mongrel wants to play at superiority, for the sake of this sortie I will allow him the illusion. I will not strike the first blow, though I intend to strike the last, should he choose to attempt a power play." Halabael addressed the remainder of the party, before levelling another bored look in Athos's direction.

    "The ball is in your court. Should you wish to sink your fangs into it and attempt to shred it, you're welcome to see the consequences. Otherwise, I suggest we work with the rest of the gathered assemblage to earn the Queen's favor, rather than squabble like animals over a scrap of raw meat which will be meaningless in mere moments... and follow the person who has the map to lead us to our destination." Halabael's look shifted towards the one with the map.

    "Where does the map lead, human?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •