New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Are you people forgetting that she was drawn to humanity once they showed up? I think "lonelieness" or "sense of belonging" to some extend can be attributed to her, at least. (And disappointment, for that matter.)
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2012-11-15 at 03:58 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Are you people forgetting that she was drawn to humanity once they showed up? I think "lonelieness" or "sense of belonging" to some extend can be attributed to her, at least. (And disappointment, for that matter.)
    Precisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    More interesting, sure, but also much more difficult to see turn out satisfactorily without retconning.
    Yeah. Probably.

I just want more creepiness from GG.

I guess Im a bit of a Hypocrite when I want this comic to be more (I spit the word and proceed to clean my mouth afterwards with soap): "Dark".

I have been recently provided some of that with Coyote so Im sated for now, but i just want more conflict.

More important and slightly bigger conflict (Again. I am sated for now).

I was on the edge of quitting when I felt like the whole comic felt like a giant hug-fest and they where on the verge of holding hands and singing kumbayah.

I wish Jones would be this completely alien thingy (Again I am a Hypocrite. Something I hate in Hometuck). Maybe possessing no emotion other then boredom to be placated or curiosity to explore.

It just is then interesting that the people around her PROJECT what kind of person she is. Sort of like a human Companion cube.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

I like that this is establishing Jones as a foil to Coyote.

Jones cannot manipulate her body in any particular way, cannot even pluck a hair from her head. Coyote can split his body parts and give them properties and so on.

Jones cannot feel emotion, or imagine things; Coyote is almost entirely about emotion.

Jones is utterly and completely independent of humanity, despite her similar appearance and demeanour; Coyote claims that he is entirely the result of humanity's imagination and is incredibly alien in both appearance and personality.

The thing I find most interesting, though, is that the Forest has Coyote as the leader, where Jones is solely and entirely in a subservient or advisory role.

Also, I feel sorry for Dr whatshisface. Jones can never love him back. =C
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #905
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, Coyote is kind of a prancing egotist, as well as immensely powerful, so it probably just seems natural to him that he be a leader wherever he goes. Kind of like Susanna Clarke's gentleman-with-the-thistle-down-hair, just as alien and powerful, and just as self absorbed.

Contrast Jones. When Coyote talks about himself, he's weaving stories and spinning tales, accentuating his own grandeur (which is pretty big to begin with). When Jones speaks about herself, it's all simple statement of fact. It's an interesting reflection on their nature - as an etheric being and god, Coyote is myth and stories, embodied, while Jones, as whatever she is, just is.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

So then only 1 question remains:

Why is she bothering? We know she only mimics love and interest, but why is she bothering?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose the only answer possible is, 'why not'? Absent purpose, an intelligent creature will furnish itself purpose.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    So then only 1 question remains:

Why is she bothering? We know she only mimics love and interest, but why is she bothering?
    I wondered that myself, and I would put forward that Jones is simply hiding in plain sight.

Consider the implications of a being like Jones in our own world. She has not only seen the entirety of human history but the very beginnings of the Earth itself, and she remembers every single instant of her existence. Consider the impact a being like her would have on religion, science, philosophy, etc.

She might simply want to exist unnoticed. Appearing as a young woman working at the Court helps facilitate that disguise.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-11-16 at 04:29 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    I suppose the only answer possible is, 'why not'? Absent purpose, an intelligent creature will furnish itself purpose.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I spent my time arguing that just yesterday!

10. - Top - End - #910
    Bugbear in the Playground

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I spent my time arguing that just yesterday!
    But wanting to have a purpose is an emotional response in itself though since there is no logical reason to have one. So that idea doesn't mean she's emotionless.

The only 'emotionless' beings I have seen working in fiction are certain AI's and robots that have a programmed purpose.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-11-16 at 05:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

Note that she says she can't form emotional connections - that isn't quite the same as not having emotions. So an emotional desire to find beings like herself is still feasible.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Or, you know, people who suffer from APD. Or suffer brain injuries such that they're no longer able to cognitively respond with emotion.

I think what it boils down to is how we define emotion. There are several models of emotion that psychologists debate over, but at the very least it seems they agree on a few key components of what an emotion involves. Reading from my dusty ol' general psych textbook, it uses the working definition of emotion being composed of "(1) a subjective conscious experience (the cognitive component) accompanied by (2) bodily arousal (The physiological component) and (3) characteristic overt expressions (The behavioral component)"

So, let's break this down and see if Jones has all of these bits that make up emotion.

Based on what Jones has told us, the subjective cognitive experience, the feelings, that humans have in them are missing in her experience. Much like some head trauma victims, she lacks the cognitive ability to interpret things in that manner.

Likewise, any physiological response that indicates emotion is also missing. We've not seen her dilated pupils or sweat. We've never looked at her anatomy, but I imagine if we did we'd not see glands pumping out chemical signals, not see the heart rate increase or slow in beat, not see blood flush from organs to muscle. Indeed, given that she tells us she is not alive, I find it unlikely any of these reactions are happening.

And as for behavioral response... Jones is well known for her lack of expression or display of any emotion whatsoever. Not even the involuntary ones.

In effect, I believe Jones is telling the truth when she says she is without emotion. She doesn't seem to have anything that resembles what human psychologists would identify as emotion. What motivates her is beyond me, but lack of emotion or physical stimulus would suggest that it would be entirely different from what our animal brains interpret as emotion.

Finally, her description of an inability to make emotional connections and that her responses were learned through mimicry and social observation fit the symptoms of a traditional sociopath.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

As for why she's doing things when she could just stand entirely still- even without emotion, I think that one would still have a sense of boredom.

She's doing stuff because, well, there's stuff to do.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Finally, her description of an inability to make emotional connections and that her responses were learned through mimicry and social observation fit the symptoms of a traditional sociopath.
    So Jones is a magical Dexter: Awesome.

I am really satisfied she isn't another Data (Not that I dislike Data).

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said earlier, she may claim to be this, but if she had no emotional connection at all, she wouldn't have been drawn to humans in the first place. She had to actively seek us out.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So Jones is a magical Dexter: Awesome.

I am really satisfied she isn't another Data (Not that I dislike Data).
    If we compare her to Dexter she is still wrong about not having emotions. There is a difference between having dulled emotions like Dexter and having no emotions like Jones is claiming.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2012-11-16 at 07:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looking at the comments on the main page, it seems I'm not the first to wonder how Jones would fare versus the Coyote tooth.

However, I'm more curious what sort of industrial purposes she could be used for. That super-pinching alone must have some sort of potential application.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Looking at the comments on the main page, it seems I'm not the first to wonder how Jones would fare versus the Coyote tooth.

However, I'm more curious what sort of industrial purposes she could be used for. That super-pinching alone must have some sort of potential application.
    I wonder if she could make metallic hydrogen.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    The only 'emotionless' beings I have seen working in fiction are certain AI's and robots that have a programmed purpose.
    I still think Jones is a kind of observation-device, placed by some alien civilisation, i.e. Monolith 2.0
    It was stated that she is no robot, but maybe our robots are just too primitive and limited to match her.

Regarding emotions: why would she need those ?
    There is no need for hunger, fear, love etc.

I could see curiosity, so she goes to see interesting things and events.
    Same for her interest in humans, i.e. as supporting her "mission".

Also, without spacetravel, she will not meet others of her kind.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    I still think Jones is a kind of observation-device, placed by some alien civilisation, i.e. Monolith 2.0
    It was stated that she is no robot, but maybe our robots are just too primitive and limited to match her.
    While I don't agree with your theory, that is a good point. She only knows robots as the sort she's seen on Earth, and she isn't much like them, so she says she isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    Why yes? What logical reason would an immortal, indestructible creature with no physical needs whatsoever, and claiming to have no psychological ones, seek out and aid short lived plains apes she happens to resemble very superficially?
    Making up a reason, if there is none, is itself an act of emotion.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Seeing as it could cut the very Earth, I wouldn't be surprised if it could injure Jones. Heck, it's starting to sound like Coyote's directly referring to Jones there (she's been around as long as the Earth has, after all, and I doubt he's talking literally about the tooth's ability to chop through dirt).
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2012-11-17 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

I hope she never has to use it. I like Jones. She is a chill wind that blows from the depths of time, haunting yet arresting.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope she never has to use it because Coyote is beginning to seem more evil than tricky. He has something planned, and nothing good can come with possessing his artifact.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Seeing as it could cut the very Earth, I wouldn't be surprised if it could injure Jones. Heck, it's starting to sound like Coyote's directly referring to Jones there (she's been around as long as the Earth has, after all, and I doubt he's talking literally about the tooth's ability to chop through dirt).
    The one issue with that is Jones was not afraid of Coyote. At all. If she didn't fear his power, then it doesn't stand to reason that his tooth could harm her.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

26. - Top - End - #926

Unless she doesn't experience the sensation of fear. Which, given what she's told us, is very well possible.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I hope she never has to use it because Coyote is beginning to seem more evil than tricky. He has something planned, and nothing good can come with possessing his artifact.
    Of course, both the court and the forest appear to be largely morally neutral-ish but have both been portrayed as ultimately headed by beings of repugnant moral character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #928

I dunno if we've seen enough of the Headmaster to tell if he's personally repugnant moral character. Certain the Court's system is a bit disasteful and their previous leaders were of dubious moral quality, though.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The one issue with that is Jones was not afraid of Coyote. At all. If she didn't fear his power, then it doesn't stand to reason that his tooth could harm her.
    Annie didn't fear the Forest until...just now, probably. But she certainly knew the forest before hand. Or, parts of it. Ignorance is a dangerous thing.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Or maybe she just doesn't have a sense of self preservation. Just because nothing she knows about can harm her that doesn't mean she cares one way or the other about her continued existence. How could she, it's an emotional response.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?