New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    Actually another thing- why does she look human? I mean, the Gunnerkriggverse seems to follow evolutionary theory, so why does she look like something that for 99% of her existence doesn't exist?

...okay I need to stop over thinking this.
    My pet theories on that are that Jones doesn't necessarily look like she looks. Rather that:
    1) Jones looks as the viewer's mind perceives her.
    OR
    2) Jones appears as she chooses. The comic is demonstrating Jones with the form we are familiar with to make it easier for us to understand, rather than trying to explain to us that each previous form was also Jones.

I personally prefer Theory 2.
    Last edited by Belril Duskwalk; 2012-11-02 at 04:53 PM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belril Duskwalk View Post
    My pet theories on that are that Jones doesn't necessarily look like she looks. Rather that:
    1) Jones looks as the viewer's mind perceives her.
    OR
    2) Jones appears as she chooses. The comic is demonstrating Jones with the form we are familiar with to make it easier for us to understand, rather than trying to explain to us that each previous form was also Jones.

I personally prefer Theory 2.
    If she could choose what form she appears in, why would she have been "found out" in the late 19th/early 20th century?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-02 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    That has some potential implications that are . . . less than fortunate.
    That's not what I meant.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    That's not what I meant.
    Then what *did* you mean?

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

If she could choose what form she appears in, why would she have been "found out" in the late 19th/early 20th century?
    She can decide what she looks like, but at some point she's sort of stuck. She decides to look like a human. Something happens to her that should kill a human that bounces off of her. How does changing shape deal with that after the fact?

NOTE: I don't actually subscribe to the appearance-changing theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    She can decide what she looks like, but at some point she's sort of stuck. She decides to look like a human. Something happens to her that should kill a human that bounces off of her. How does changing shape deal with that after the fact?

NOTE: I don't actually subscribe to the appearance-changing theory.
    You fake an injury, pretend to die, get buried, and then dig yourself out, moving to a different area and/or, especially in more modern times, change your appearance.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Now that I think about it, that arrest scene is a bit odd. After millions of years she must know that her appearance doesn't change and that this is very unusual for normal humans. Why is she just waiting around to be caught?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I argue that she came into existence when mankind dreamt of her, but our dreams imagined her existing long before mankind started. She was thus created as always existing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #729
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Now that I think about it, that arrest scene is a bit odd. After millions of years she must know that her appearance doesn't change and that this is very unusual for normal humans. Why is she just waiting around to be caught?
    Presumably, she just didn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Presumably, she just didn't care.
    That's another thing, as far as I know Jones' goals haven't been described to us. What I can see is that she seems to get attached to certain individuals such as Lord Samuel(?), the factory owner, and now Eglamore.

Does she have an endgame? Or is she just living her (immortal) life as she fancies.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Given our limited perspective and the length of time she has had and has to play it out, I honestly doubt we could tell from these brief snapshots.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

You fake an injury, pretend to die, get buried, and then dig yourself out, moving to a different area and/or, especially in more modern times, change your appearance.
    Well yes, she could do all of that. However, faking the injury, playing dead, being buried, etc. It's all just a show to get to the part where you move to somewhere where the people won't know you aren't normal.

If the people can't kill you (and they clearly can't) and you can walk further than the reach of your reputation as 'a devil' within a week or so (simple for an apparently invincible being in Medieval times) why bother with the act?

The end result is the same either way, Jones moves to another place where nobody knows her. If she scares the hell out of the townsfolk rather than letting them think they won, is that necessarily even a bad thing?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Trade has existed for as long as, or longer than, recorded history. And where people get together to trade, they also swap information, gossip.
    Tales of a blond witch who can take a spear to the guts or some other injury would spread quickly, especially by her standards.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-03 at 12:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Trade has existed for as long as, or longer than, recorded history. And where people get together to trade, they also swap information, gossip.
    Tales of a blond witch who can take a spear to the guts or some other injury would spread quickly, especially by her standards.
    Sure the tale of a blond witch who can take a spear to the gut would spread. But without anyone seeing her survive something that should kill her, she's just another blonde woman as long as nobody from the old town catches up with her. Anyway, assuming my Theory 2 was correct, she would have changed her appearance shortly after the guard failed to stab her to death. She just felt that busting the spear and walking away was the more expedient path to finding a new place than feigning death.

HOWEVER, I just did a bit of an archive binge and found some more convincing evidence that I am wrong. The Langdon Estate. If she can alter her appearance on even a human-age scale, she clearly would have had no trouble pretending to be old, thus allowing herself to keep the Langdon Estate and avoid being arrested as an imposter. THAT, I can't explain. Theory 2 executed.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Sure the tale of a blond witch who can take a spear to the gut would spread. But without anyone seeing her survive something that should kill her, she's just another blonde woman as long as nobody from the old town catches up with her. Anyway, assuming my Theory 2 was correct, she would have changed her appearance shortly after the guard failed to stab her to death. She just felt that busting the spear and walking away was the more expedient path to finding a new place than feigning death.
    Perhaps, but the incidents shown would hardly be the only only incidents.
    Also, even in many parts of parts of Europe in a per-industrial state, a blond woman would be worthy of mention, and how much more so outside of Europe.
    HOWEVER, I just did a bit of an archive binge and found some more convincing evidence that I am wrong. The Langdon Estate. If she can alter her appearance on even a human-age scale, she clearly would have had no trouble pretending to be old, thus allowing herself to keep the Langdon Estate and avoid being arrested as an imposter. THAT, I can't explain. Theory 2 executed.
    Which is exactly the page I linked to when I first raised my objection to that theory in post #722.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-03 at 01:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Which is exactly the page I linked to when I first raised my objection to that theory in post #722.
    Well. Now I'm terribly embarrassed. Somehow I was sure that link said the 15th century and went to her getting stabbed in the Middle Ages. I really need to stop trying to make logical arguments after midnight. My apologies.
    Last edited by Belril Duskwalk; 2012-11-03 at 07:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

A thought has occurred to me regarding Jones in the Silurian. We know how strong she is. Even with bad leverage she should be able to break her head at least free. So I wonder

A) Did she just wake up? or
    B) Being Jones, is she content to just watch and not move? or
    C) Is she growing out of the rock and not complete yet? or
    D) Does her strength grow over time and she's pretty weak in this scene? or
    E) Something else?

I suspect E...

She might have been using the money and power of the estate to try to accomplish something. In such a case, sticking around as long as possible, even if it led to her getting caught, would be logical.

(I wonder what happened with the police. If they put her in the back of a Black Maria to take her to the police station, she could have just forced the door open in transit, jumped out, and vanished into the crowds... I doubt she'd allow them to get her to the station and start asking questions, as that would cause problems... And it's not like she could allow herself to be imprisoned, either, at least for very long, as someone would notice she wasn't aging...)

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably perspective. When you're durable enough to sit under the ocean for millions of years, walk on top of a glacier, take an aurochs to the face, and take a spear to the gut, being arrested probably isn't that much of a hindrance.

It'd be like you or I being told to go and sit in a corner for 60 seconds, if that.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes but that implies a certain level of apathy towards the things given to her.

That gives credibility to theory that she is just going through the motions:

"And now he....."

"I love you"

"Yeah, and the best way to respond is....."

"Im sorry but I-"

"And....Kiss. Yup. Right on cue"

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Well. Now I'm terribly embarrassed. Somehow I was sure that link said the 15th century and went to her getting stabbed in the Middle Ages. I really need to stop trying to make logical arguments after midnight. My apologies.
    No problem.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Barbarian in the Playground

Her hair is either growing from the rock or coming from the rock.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17

Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
    Her hair is either growing from the rock or coming from the rock.
    If Jones were caught in a lava flow, strands of her hair might wind up stretching out a distance from her head as the rock solidified. Then as eons wore the rock away, the tips of the hair would slowly emerge...

23. - Top - End - #743
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

She can decide what she looks like, but at some point she's sort of stuck.
    Jones is Tardis?

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    Jones is Tardis?
    Um?
    No really, I have no idea what you mean by that.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #745
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    Jones is Tardis?
    What, like in that Bad Wolf episode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Um?
    No really, I have no idea what you mean by that.
    They are referring to the Doctor's (of Doctor Who fame) time machine, the TARDIS, which is supposed to be able to camouflage itself, but got stuck in the shape of the now iconic blue police box.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

TARDISes are equipped with a special device called a Chameleon Circuit, which camouflages them to match their surroundings.

The Doctor's TARDIS, however, got stuck on "Police Box" due to a malfunction.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

I knew the TARDIS was the Doctor's vehicle, I just didn't realize there was any disguising involved.

And it doesn't quite match what I meant. What I meant was that while she could change her appearance, it wouldn't help with the situation of being thought of as a demon.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-11-03 at 09:32 PM.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #749
    Orc in the Playground

I'm calling it: Jones is the dense object around which stellar dust accumulated, leading to the eventual formation of Earth.

Where she came from before that is anyone's guess.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    I'm calling it: Jones is the dense object around which stellar dust accumulated, leading to the eventual formation of Earth.

Where she came from before that is anyone's guess.
    But then why would she be close enough to the surface to be unearthed during the Silurian period? Dust gathering around her to form the Earth would by necessity put her at the center of the Earth. Unless she deliberately moved away from the core, in which case the first thing we saw of her during the Silurian period should have been her hand, not her face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.